The buyer wins again, 20+ hrs of hardworking wasted

mert_ona

I’ve been a Fiverr seller since January 2020, this is my first time I’m writing to share my experience.

I had a customer who wanted an urgent selling page on Wordpress and after I did the job he kicked me from the administration of the page so I lost my access and then told me he is not happy with the order and want to cancel, I was like give me your comments and I will be happy to give unlimited revisions until you get satisfied “Just like what I have done with other honest buyers before!”…

But the answer was like I don’t have time to waste and a nonsense excuses.

I contacted the CS directly and after looking at the order they told me that the buyer always wins and unfortunately all the given efforts are not protected as they told us in the beginning when we signed up!
So yes, I’m now going to get a bad order completion rate + I already lost my time + lose my money.
I am not feeling protected here any more as a seller on Fiverr.

• Like 33
  • Sad 1

I don’t know what to do, but Fiverr should really do something to prevent buyers to be able to get work done for free just by saying “I didn’t like it”, because how can someone tell you otherwise?? how can someome prove that’s wrong?!
I think that’s the biggest flaw here. For some buyers, Fiverr is a place where you can get free things. And we shouldn’t undermine it just because “it doesn’t happen to everyone” or because “that’s common everywhere”.

Maybe there could be a feature like this:

If a buyer wants to cancel the order because they didn’t like it, they would only get 50% refund but ONLY IF they provide an extensive and detailed information about why they didn’t like it and how it wasn’t what the project needed (and promise they won’t use it at all). And a staff member should revise that explanation to decide whether it is acceptable. If it is, they get the 50% back but never 100%. If it’s not acceptable, they don’t get a refund.
And they should keep a record of how many times buyers do this, so they can get warnings, or their account deleted or something. Exactly as the sellers.

Extra comments for the buyers: they should take the responsibility to carefully check the seller’s gig’s description, samples, and bio. They should know they have to choose someone they believe it’s gong to fulfill their requirements.

• Like 13

I’m a new seller, I had completed 4 orders within 7 days and after that, I got an order of $150 and the time was 1 day. Well, I had worked a long 13 hours without any rest and completed the order, and went for bed. When I got back to Fiverr buyer said he reset my all work. I had to cancel the order. And from that day I didn’t get any orders. My profile lost ranking.

• Like 10

I am sorry to hear about your experience, but you have “100% satisfaction or refund.” in the gig description for your website gig, so the buyer has every right to cancel even if they are 99.99% satisfied. You shot yourself in the foot by putting that in your description.

I suggest you remove that and “unlimited revisions”. If you offer unlimited revisions, you can be stuck doing revisions until the end of time.

• Like 26

I’ve been a Fiverr seller since January 2020, this is my first time I’m writing to share my experience.

I had a customer who wanted an urgent selling page on Wordpress and after I did the job he kicked me from the administration of the page so I lost my access and then told me he is not happy with the order and want to cancel, I was like give me your comments and I will be happy to give unlimited revisions until you get satisfied “Just like what I have done with other honest buyers before!”…

I contacted the CS directly and after looking at the order they told me that the buyer always wins and unfortunately all the given efforts are not protected as they told us in the beginning when we signed up!

So yes, I’m now going to get a bad order completion rate + I already lost my time + lose my money.

they told me that the buyer always wins and unfortunately all the given efforts are not protected as they told us in the beginning when we signed up!

Can you show a screenshot of what they actually said because that sounds crazy

• Like 14

I’m a new seller, I had completed 4 orders within 7 days and after that, I got an order of $150 and the time was 1 day. Well, I had worked a long 13 hours without any rest and completed the order, and went for bed. When I got back to Fiverr buyer said he reset my all work. I had to cancel the order. And from that day I didn’t get any orders. My profile lost ranking.

congratulationss !!! good luck !!

• Like 4

I am sorry to hear about your experience, but you have “100% satisfaction or refund.” in the gig description for your website gig, so the buyer has every right to cancel even if they are 99.99% satisfied. You shot yourself in the foot by putting that in your description.

I suggest you remove that and “unlimited revisions”. If you offer unlimited revisions, you can be stuck doing revisions until the end of time.

Thanks for your comment but I really offer 100% satisfaction by providing unlimited revisions. and I already canceled an order about a month ago since I felt the customer didn’t like I couldn’t give better. But at this very situation the buyer refused to cooperate with me and even give me comments to revise!

and surprised me be removing me from the administration of the panel.

Thanks for your suggestion 🙂

• Like 3

they told me that the buyer always wins

In all of my disputes with buyers that I have taken to Customer Service, I have never had one of them say this. :thinking:

• Like 9

they told me that the buyer always wins and unfortunately all the given efforts are not protected as they told us in the beginning when we signed up!

I’d love to actually since I’m really living a shook by wasting more +20 hrs for nothing!

I will upload screenshots to a link and share it here soon.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 3

I don’t know what to do, but Fiverr should really do something to prevent buyers to be able to get work done for free just by saying “I didn’t like it”, because how can someone tell you otherwise?? how can someome prove that’s wrong?!

I think that’s the biggest flaw here. For some buyers, Fiverr is a place where you can get free things. And we shouldn’t undermine it just because “it doesn’t happen to everyone” or because “that’s common everywhere”.

Maybe there could be a feature like this:

If a buyer wants to cancel the order because they didn’t like it, they would only get 50% refund but ONLY IF they provide an extensive and detailed information about why they didn’t like it and how it wasn’t what the project needed (and promise they won’t use it at all). And a staff member should revise that explanation to decide whether it is acceptable. If it is, they get the 50% back but never 100%. If it’s not acceptable, they don’t get a refund.

And they should keep a record of how many times buyers do this, so they can get warnings, or their account deleted or something. Exactly as the sellers.

Extra comments for the buyers: they should take the responsibility to carefully check the seller’s gig’s description, samples, and bio. They should know they have to choose someone they believe it’s gong to fulfill their requirements.

All these suggestions are logical, this situation really made me feel down.

Thanks for you support

• Like 3

Here you are, Imagine that after you’ve delivered a project, after a week surprise the delivered order has been canceled! why? The Great buyer didn’t like it.

736364785_Screenshot2021-05-10222410.thumb.png.2b4613cdc8a5f5284efdb07eea467f18.png
Screenshot 2021-05-10 2224101276×767 75.1 KB
  • Like 3

From all of your posts here, it seems to me that it’s not your first cancelled order recently. Perhaps instead of blaming your clients, try to change your working process. Between me and my clients there is always a clear communication and in the rare event of an issue, we’ve always managed to deal with it.
If you are still 100% right and you haven’t misled you customer somehow, just try to do something to protect yourself either with screenshots, proof, terms and conditions you write to you customers before an order…

• Like 9

348260_2.png eoinfinnegan:

I’d love to actually since I’m really living a shook by wasting more +20 hrs for nothing!

I will upload screenshots to a link and share it here soon

Yeah, as I thought, you have misunderstood.

A buyer can ask for a cancellation at any stage BUT you can say no! Support didn’t say buyers always win. They said the fact that buyers can ask to cancel.

Sellers can reject the request, discuss it, convince them etc. Work on your customer service skills. But also, as was said above, don’t offer unlimited anything or money back guarantees. Its guaranteed to cause u problems.

• Like 13

I contacted the CS directly and after looking at the order they told me that the buyer always wins

image.thumb.png.f1db3f795bf3541fdc3c61802f50696b.png
image1388×136 90.7 KB

Those do not mean the same thing. Buyers do not “always win” order disputes but they definitely are in a position of power.

The highlighted portion of the message addresses the fact that buyers are able to ask for revisions or cancellations at any time during or 2 weeks after an order is closed. Asking for revisions or cancellations is not the same as validating or being granted revisions and cancellations. A seller can dispute cancellation requests and can ask for additional payment if revisions are not offered or are beyond the scope of included revisions.

As aforementioned by others, offering unlimited revisions and 100% satisfaction guarantees only cripples yourself if an order is ever brought up to CS.

• Like 7

This screenshot is from your gig description:

1264955936_ScreenShot2021-05-10at3_29_17PM.png.f11da503059fb9ad6a4538e63045126d.png

I agree with what others have said. When you have a line like this in your gig description it invites cancellations. It means if the buyer is only 99.9% satisfied they can get a refund. You are the reason your buyer won, not CS.

• Like 13

If I also may add from everything that has been told already :

Do not accept a project that needs to be done in a hurry if you cannot guarantee the quality to be as expected in your gig description. Working in a rush can impact the quality of your delivery. If you cannot commit to it, better refuse it rather than chasing revenues at all costs.

Usually clients asking for “I need it urgently” are most likely difficult clients right off the bat.

• Like 8

To all of you struggling to understand this situation since they are not in the Website business,

1. I gave custom codes and design as per requested by the customer in a given PDF file.
  2. They were nice with me and asked revisions and I completed all of them.
  3. When I said %100 satisfaction I mean it because in coding world we give unlimited revisions until they are satisfied and I tell my customers this all the time.
    4.The refund happens if I couldn’t to the thing. But in this case I delivered.
  4. After the website was done they removed me from admin which means I CAN NOT DO REVISIONS. And they wanted to cancel OUT OF THE SUDDEN.
  5. They did not even try to communicate with me and they probably got all my codes.
  6. So please, before you start blaming me try to understand what type of service I am giving, because I see most of you are in different careers.
    @enunciator @vickiespencer @stefanyoshovski @eoinfinnegan
  • Like 5

To all of you struggling to understand this situation since they are not in the Website business,

1. I gave custom codes and design as per requested by the customer in a given PDF file.
  3. When I said %100 satisfaction I mean it because in coding world we give unlimited revisions until they are satisfied and I tell my customers this all the time.

4. After the website was done they removed me from admin which means I CAN NOT DO REVISIONS. And they wanted to cancel OUT OF THE SUDDEN.
  5. They did not even try to communicate with me and they probably got all my codes.
  6. So please, before you start blaming me try to understand what type of service I am giving, because I see most of you are in different careers.

Look, I am sorry for your bad experience but I replied to you because I’ve been actually providing website services. I have my gig paused only because I don’t have enough time to work at fiverr.

With that said, this is what I’ve learnt:

1. I don’t provide “custom codes” or designs before an order is placed
  2. Never offer unlimited revisions.
  3. The phrase “in the coding world, you give unlimited revisions” is not true at all. It’s actually pretty much the opposite.

I always define with my client the features, functionalities, structure and design way before starting to work on the project. Of course, during the designing phase, it may take a while to get what your buyer wants but if you offer unlimited revisions, they can take advantage of it.

Instead offer 4-8 revisions.

This would make them think twice before sending you a revision request as they know they have limited revisions. This would increase your efficiency since you’ll receive all revision requests at once.

Instead, if you offer unlimited revisions, they can request new changes up to infinity, and in the end, the design will be even different from what has been requested initially.

1. When I build a website, only I have access as admin. My clients will always receive the credentials only when the product is finished…
  2. What I’ve said before applies here too. Plus, try to update frequently your buyer, so he knows what you are doing. I used some management software, so my clients always knew what I was working at and they could write me their considerations too.
  3. I could say the same thing to you as you didn’t know I was working as a Freelance Web Developer. I am not trying to be the “I know everything” guy, but I’ve done some of your mistakes at the beginning.

I am just trying to give you advice. Change your workflow, or you’ll keep having such issues!

• Like 12

Look, I am sorry for your bad experience but I replied to you because I’ve been actually providing website services. I have my gig paused only because I don’t have enough time to work at fiverr.

With that said, this is what I’ve learnt:

1. I don’t provide “custom codes” or designs before an order is placed
  2. Never offer unlimited revisions.
  3. The phrase “in the coding world, you give unlimited revisions” is not true at all. It’s actually pretty much the opposite.

I always define with my client the features, functionalities, structure and design way before starting to work on the project. Of course, during the designing phase, it may take a while to get what your buyer wants but if you offer unlimited revisions, they can take advantage of it.

Instead offer 4-8 revisions.

This would make them think twice before sending you a revision request as they know they have limited revisions. This would increase your efficiency since you’ll receive all revision requests at once.

Instead, if you offer unlimited revisions, they can request new changes up to infinity, and in the end, the design will be even different from what has been requested initially.

1. When I build a website, only I have access as admin. My clients will always receive the credentials only when the product is finished…
  2. What I’ve said before applies here too. Plus, try to update frequently your buyer, so he knows what you are doing. I used some management software, so my clients always knew what I was working at and they could write me their considerations too.
  3. I could say the same thing to you as you didn’t know I was working as a Freelance Web Developer. I am not trying to be the “I know everything” guy, but I’ve done some of your mistakes at the beginning.

I am just trying to give you advice. Change your workflow, or you’ll keep having such issues!

Thanks a lot, All the best 👊

• Like 3

When I said %100 satisfaction I mean it because in coding world we give unlimited revisions until they are satisfied and I tell my customers this all the time.

What you mean doesn’t matter - it’s what it means on Fiverr that counts.

The refund happens if I couldn’t to the thing. But in this case I delivered.

But you left no way to prove it - you made it easy for the buyer to lock you out and take your work. Yes they shouldn’t do it but this is the real world - if you give people a chance, eventually someone will take it.

So please, before you start blaming me try to understand what type of service I am giving, because I see most of you are in different careers.

Regardless of any service, Sellers have to protect themselves. If I proofread on Google Drive, you can be sure I download a copy of my work before I deliver it. If I work on the SEO of a company’s website, you can be sure I can prove what I have done. Everyone has their own potential pitfalls with Buyers and it’s up to all of us to protect ourselves.

Don’t take this “blame” thing to mean people here aren’t sympathetic to your experience, I know I am. It’s just that people here tend to offer suggestions, solutions and material to learn from rather than “aw, what a pity, let’s all cry together” which doesn’t help you or anyone else. It is really unfortunate that this happened with a big order you put a lot into and you have my pity, but more than that, you have my advice to help ensure it doesn’t happen again.

• Like 9

The buyer will ALWAYS win and that is never going to change as fiverr is buyer-centric. So would you if buyers where your businesses entire source of income. They have nothing to gain by siding with the seller.

It’s either potentially unhappy buyer that will stop spending money on the site. Or potentially unhappy seller that can be replaced by the millions of others. It’s an obvious choice for fiverr.

• Like 3