Experience of a TRS for those just getting started

kholland65

Recently I became a top rated seller here on fiverr after having been on the platform for about 3yrs. In many ways fiverr has changed my life. I now make a majority of my income from my freelance work which has given me more freedom to continuing growing my business. However, looking back, it’s amazing to see the difference between my experience an attitude from when I started until now, and to see how far I’ve come. I just felt like sharing my experience with others who might be starting out, had similar thoughts as me, and feel like being a TRS is impossible.

As much as 4-5yrs ago, I remember seeing adds for fiverr on facebook. I would tell myself that $5 for anything was a scam and a waste of time. I thought there was no way anyone could ever earn any money if they could only charge $5 for a service (obviously I eventually learned you could charge more than that lol). About a year or two after first hearing about fiverr, I decided to make a profile one day just because it might not hurt to make a few extra bucks each month.

The first 6mo were rough. I was just happy to get an order, and I was doing work for what was basically poverty level rates. I would read articles about top rated sellers and tell me self that those stories were anomalies and it was impossible to do what they were doing. Despite this, I knew I just had to grind it out and that level 1 status would not be too hard to achieve. At this point as a new seller, I was lucky to make $50/mo, on occasion I would get a big project that was $100 or something, but most orders were $10-20 at best. After 6mo I made it to level one and things start to pick up slightly.

Now I was doing a few hundred dollars a month. Given this, I knew level 2 would not be much father away. A few months after level 1 I made it to level 2. That’s when things really started to gain traction. I’d now been on the platform for almost a year and I was averaging about $500-1000/mo. So it was a nice side income. Over the course of the next two years I just continued to grind it out, slowly climbing my way towards 20k earnings. Sometimes I had a great month and would do $1500, other times I would have a bad month and do only $300-500. After about 2 years at level two, I eventually met the requirements for TRS. Still it took another year at level 2 to get promoted.

After 3yrs on the platform, I went form making $10 in my first month, to now making $4000/mo. It’s just crazy to me to think that 4yrs ago, I was balking at the idea of achieving TRS, quitting your day job for fiverr, or even using the platform in the first place. Now, I make a solid living just from fiverr. So it is very possible to do.

I do want to say this though, everyone’s experience of course will vary and this might also be dependent on the field you are in. I also want to say that while there is no substitute for time and grinding things out, even those things won’t help you if you simply are not a high level professional seller. You have to do great work, you have to be professional, you have to communicate well, and you have to have a solid profile and background. You still have to compete for business just like everyone else in any other business or market place. Think of fiverr like a giant shopping mall. Setting up a store there is no guarantee that you will be successful. You still need to offer a good product and service and compete with other stores in the mall so ultimately people want to enter your store and purchase your goods.

So for those starting out, I won’t lie to you, it’s a grind. I spent many years, many times earning very little money, working for bad clients and doing what was basically two jobs. However, I knew the prize at the end was worth it, if I could just stick it out and be patient.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing your experience! I think that many of us have been or are going through these different stages of change that you mention and we should not get discouraged, we simply must continue to work hard to improve every day and get the best possible results.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived