How color brightness can be unchanged while changing from RGB to CMYK

moonairfan26

hello,
i am using gradients while designing business cards and in RGB, but for making print ready files , i have to shift it to CMYK mode,which ruined the colors… can colors remain unchanged in print ready files?.. designers please help me…i am working in illustrator. i export it to pdf,still same issue and i export to photoshop and after flatten image i changed mode to CMYK but same colors are fading

As a designer for print you should ALWAYS start in CMYK mode since the CMYK color gamut is more limited than RGB. Especially saturated blue and green tints suffer from conversion to CMYK.
You can better shift from CMYK to RGB than the other way around.

You may be able to handpick colors matching the RGB colors as close as possible, but there will be some unavoidable color shift.

Educate yourself on color modes and keep it in mind for your next design project.

As a designer for print you should ALWAYS start in CMYK mode since the CMYK color gamut is more limited than RGB. Especially saturated blue and green tints suffer from conversion to CMYK.

You can better shift from CMYK to RGB than the other way around.

You may be able to handpick colors matching the RGB colors as close as possible, but there will be some unavoidable color shift.

Educate yourself on color modes and keep it in mind for your next design project.

thanks for prompt response… well it means that i can not used gradient of bright colors while designing logo as well?, because same logo color combinations will be used in business cards…

Logos should always be designed with multiple use cases in mind. Logos will be featured excessively in printed form (on business letters, envelopes, for instance) so should always be designed in CMYK.
It means you’ll indeed have a limited palette of colors, indeed not as bright and vibrant as RGB.

Using gradients in logos is always a bit of a risky endeavor due to limitations in printing. So use gradients sparingly.

Logos should always be designed with multiple use cases in mind. Logos will be featured excessively in printed form (on business letters, envelopes, for instance) so should always be designed in CMYK.

It means you’ll indeed have a limited palette of colors, indeed not as bright and vibrant as RGB.

Using gradients in logos is always a bit of a risky endeavor due to limitations in printing. So use gradients sparingly.

thanks for your valuable guidance…i will take care next time…but for now i made 98% logos while using gradients…but i will take care next time

thanks for your valuable guidance…i will take care next time…but for now i made 98% logos while using gradients…but i will take care next time

It depends on how gradients are used. A logo should always be printable without gradients in black and white form and still be legible and recognizable.

Just do the design in both CMYK and RGB unless it’s intended strictly for web usage. Send both, the printer (or a web developer, or a social media manager, etc.) will choose what they need. 99% of the time you’ll be safe.

1% of the time you might find yourself in an unpleasant situation of someone printing your work using their home printer that is out of blue ink and blaming you for blue not being blue enough. Or someone demanding fiery red instead of blood red. But that’s 1%, you can live with that.

PS Avoid purples and greens if you have a suspicion that while the work was commissioned in RGB initially, you might get asked to convert it to CMYK later down the line.

Just do the design in both CMYK and RGB unless it’s intended strictly for web usage. Send both, the printer (or a web developer, or a social media manager, etc.) will choose what they need. 99% of the time you’ll be safe.

1% of the time you might find yourself in an unpleasant situation of someone printing your work using their home printer that is out of blue ink and blaming you for blue not being blue enough. Or someone demanding fiery red instead of blood red. But that’s 1%, you can live with that.

PS Avoid purples and greens if you have a suspicion that while the work was commissioned in RGB initially, you might get asked to convert it to CMYK later down the line.

thanks for the detailed reply… recently i am having problem with green color because that is ruined badly. i am designing stationery for a client whose logo also made by me and while converting file to print ready format i am shocked to see outcome. i am tense whether my client object the color change or not… or whether i should change the color of main logo…confused

thanks for the detailed reply… recently i am having problem with green color because that is ruined badly. i am designing stationery for a client whose logo also made by me and while converting file to print ready format i am shocked to see outcome. i am tense whether my client object the color change or not… or whether i should change the color of main logo…confused

i am tense whether my client object the color change or not

Most people don’t notice if that’s any consolation.

Green and purple are the worst. And the thing is, you can print neon. The process is just more complicated and expensive and the printers don’t want to bother and prefer to blame the designer for setting up unrealistic expectations.

Just do the stationery as is, hope for the best, and deliver both RGB and CMYK in the future. Most brand books have both RGB and CMYK palettes, it’s a reasonable thing to expect and deliver, especially when it’s a logo.

i am tense whether my client object the color change or not

Most people don’t notice if that’s any consolation.

Green and purple are the worst. And the thing is, you can print neon. The process is just more complicated and expensive and the printers don’t want to bother and prefer to blame the designer for setting up unrealistic expectations.

Just do the stationery as is, hope for the best, and deliver both RGB and CMYK in the future. Most brand books have both RGB and CMYK palettes, it’s a reasonable thing to expect and deliver, especially when it’s a logo.

thanks a lot… actually green and purple were client demands otherwise i havenot used myself. sure i will deliver in both modes…thanks for help… stay blessed

Archived