I said "no homo" and now im getting a warning...?

cpooky

While your comment was intended to be humorous as a way to jokingly play off your thanks while still retaining your manliness, Fiverr doesn’t share a similar appreciation of such humor and perceived it as being critical of a certain s****l preference.

It’s good to keep in mind that Fiverr is a business platform, so think of messaging being similar to workplace emails. Would you send a similar comment to fellow employees work email accounts?

Hmm. Now I wonder if I might get in trouble if a video gig script wanted me to say the same words?

With the types of orders I get, that might not be a far-fetched situation. 😬

I think it would be fine as long as it’s not explicit or anything? But yeah, it might be a good idea to check with Customer Service.

I think it would be fine as long as it’s not explicit or anything? But yeah, it might be a good idea to check with Customer Service.

I can just picture that customer service inquiry.

“Hello! I was curious as to whether the phrase “no homo” with humorous intention may still be construed as a Community Guidelines violation for possibly being perceived as making fun of homosexual or lesbian individuals or their lifestyle. Any clarification upon the utilization of the phrase would be greatly appreciated!”

:thinking:

I can just picture that customer service inquiry.

“Hello! I was curious as to whether the phrase “no homo” with humorous intention may still be construed as a Community Guidelines violation for possibly being perceived as making fun of homosexual or lesbian individuals or their lifestyle. Any clarification upon the utilization of the phrase would be greatly appreciated!”

:thinking:

Here is an unusually precise (and on topic) response just for you enunciator (which makes us besties, you’re welcome):

Copy/writing/linguistics exists in the realm of what the buyer requested versus your personal policy. Think of the amount of “lyrical” requests that get posted in reference to violent topics and modern phraseology in the music buyer request (boy, do I have stories).

This same concept validates your point regarding business transactions and it’s accepted language. The dialogue of the transaction is one of business whereas the language of art is “art.” To cement your point, they aren’t interchangeable.

Also … we’re really having a conversation in a thread that essentially said, “I said non professional things on a website dedicated to professional exchange … is that like, cool?”

Here is an unusually precise (and on topic) response just for you enunciator (which makes us besties, you’re welcome):

Copy/writing/linguistics exists in the realm of what the buyer requested versus your personal policy. Think of the amount of “lyrical” requests that get posted in reference to violent topics and modern phraseology in the music buyer request (boy, do I have stories).

This same concept validates your point regarding business transactions and it’s accepted language. The dialogue of the transaction is one of business whereas the language of art is “art.” To cement your point, they aren’t interchangeable.

Also … we’re really having a conversation in a thread that essentially said, “I said non professional things on a website dedicated to professional exchange … is that like, cool?”

If only the distinction between what is requested to be written/spoken/illustrated/performed and what is permissive to Fiverr were more clear cut.

There was an incredibly successful video spokesperson seller on Fiverr who became viral for being a professional looking middle aged man who said humorous, youth-oriented memes.

Unfortunately, a video order that contained an obviously comedic and non-nefarious request for kids to send their credit card information resulted in his termination and ban from the platform.

There are other well known viral video sellers who specialize in comedic/memey content (SoCalChrist, FrankGeorgeTV, GreatGigsGuy3), but (seemingly) must walk a fine line to not get on the wrong side of Fiverr over scripts that they have no control over what content is submitted.

I’m guessing these guys may have a very high number of cancellations but that is counterbalanced by receiving lots of orders, or they have a very very good personal working relationship with the Fiverr customer service team.

I, unfortunately, do not have either luxuries!

If only the distinction between what is requested to be written/spoken/illustrated/performed and what is permissive to Fiverr were more clear cut.

There was an incredibly successful video spokesperson seller on Fiverr who became viral for being a professional looking middle aged man who said humorous, youth-oriented memes.

Unfortunately, a video order that contained an obviously comedic and non-nefarious request for kids to send their credit card information resulted in his termination and ban from the platform.

There are other well known viral video sellers who specialize in comedic/memey content (SoCalChrist, FrankGeorgeTV, GreatGigsGuy3), but (seemingly) must walk a fine line to not get on the wrong side of Fiverr over scripts that they have no control over what content is submitted.

I’m guessing these guys may have a very high number of cancellations but that is counterbalanced by receiving lots of orders, or they have a very very good personal working relationship with the Fiverr customer service team.

I, unfortunately, do not have either luxuries!

I absolutely hear you and I’m all for clear and defined boundaries. My guess is that some form of context and precedent guides their ultimate decision for gray area subjects. Let’s be honest, it can’t be an easy decision to cut loose a major money making entity.

In the realm of music, people’s requests can range from purposefully shocking humor to all out menacing aggression. In these cases, I treat my services with the same moral code that guides me in real world studio/production team interactions; I consider the authenticity of the genre and weigh it against the artist’s knowledge and talent. I’m not going to write blatantly racist material for your pop ballad, regardless of pay. Not only do I choose not to, it literally makes no sense to the universality of pop ballads.

So, I act as if. In every freelance situation I treat the circumstances as though it’s a professional production team or signed artist and I make the same suggestions to my freelance client that I would a touring performer, film team, band or whatever.

I’m a highly experienced, extremely versatile target writer. But I still have places I should avoid pitching material to - based on my strengths and I use those metrics to determine what jobs I take on in freelancing. I have very defined ideas on professional writing, what credentials constitute pro level and what I won’t do when people’s ideas fall outside of those perimeters. There’s nothing subjective about it for me.

I think that’s the best we can do in our respective situations. Operate in the framework and viciously defend our own professional code within-side that framework.

That was hella risky to say to begin with. While it may not be offensive to you and obviously you never intended it to be, some people may think otherwise and consider it homophobic as it can infer that being gay is a bad thing. There’s so many different people buying on here it’s not even worth risking saying things that single out minorities because you don’t know who the person behind the computer is.

I don’t find it offensive, maybe a little silly but I wouldn’t care if someone said it. Other people might though.

I got a warning for swearing in some lyrics I sent once. I explained it was part of the job to CS and they reversed it though.

Maybe the system was just set up to flag one of those words because they thought someone saying it might be calling the other person that word and being offensive and the trust and safety team did a quick check and accepted the flag even though you weren’t trying to be offensive with it. Maybe by contacting CS about it and explaining it might be possible to get the warning removed.

I think a warning for that usage of the expression is a bit much, but come on, who in their right mind says “no homo” to a client? This is a business, not beer with friends.

who in their right mind says “no homo” to a client?

My response was getting too long so I’ll just second this instead.

I think a warning for that usage of the expression is a bit much, but come on, who in their right mind says “no homo” to a client? This is a business, not beer with friends.

who in their right mind says “no homo” to a client?

Not to a client, to a seller… The OP seems to be a buyer.

thank you all for the replies.
i do understand the word being picked up by the system but i just didnt understand why they approved it as breaking the rules etc…

im really new to this, how can i contacr customer support?

yes im sorry i will be careful…

You can submit a support request ticket via the site at https://www.fiverr.com/support_tickets/new

or email support@fiverr.com

Even though the person you were talking to likely wouldn’t mind the comment, that still doesn’t change how Fiverr views it.

I do think a full blown warning is a bit of an overreaction, but am doubtful if it will be overturned.

thank you so much! i will look into it

In addition to what others have said, keep in mind that no conversation is really private on Fiverr (as in, staff can always see it), and that Fiverr is meant to be (or trying to be) a platform for professionals and professional services, so there are certain standards they wish to maintain.

In other words, I’m sure you’ve meant no harm, but it’s not safe to chat on Fiverr as if you were chatting with your friends through your favorite social media platform.

thank you all for the replies.

i do understand the word being picked up by the system but i just didnt understand why they approved it as breaking the rules etc…

im really new to this, how can i contacr customer support?

they approved it as breaking the rules etc…

Your account is now at risk!

Check this out: Don’t do it! … You Have Been Warned! if you want to protect your account.

Archived