A call for compassion and empathy

frank_d

A big thank you to all who shared their feelings and concerns.

Before I start replying to each forum member specifically about what they asked/suggested/shared, I’d like as a mod to address the incident from a few days ago.

I’m not making up excuses, I was asleep as this was going down. I woke up at 7am my time, for my morning run, when I noticed 20something flags on the forum and I immediately started looking into posts.

It took me a while to read the posts and how it all went down, but I immediately alerted the mod group chat we maintain and @wp_kid responded quickly.

We took all the necessary actions, and we sent a report to Matt, as that particular member had no place either on the forum or on the main platform.

However, that’s pretty much all mods can do in regards to “bringing justice”.

Fiverr staff needs to deal with what they want to do with that person on the main platform, and as far as the forum goes, we will take every measure to ensure that user doesn’t come back.

I feel bad for not being there for my community, I assure you it was a time-difference issue, and not neglect. I can only imagine what it must have felt like, having someone like that spewing all kinds of poison on this forum for however long it took before the mods came online.

So during the day I will be taking off the moderator hat, so I can respond to everyone, as I feel I should speak as a user and not as a referee. 🙂

Thank you!

I think a lot of frustration from people regularly using the forum, to share ideas and help others, could be drastically improved if there was a rule that would not allow anyone post anything in the forum before they at least searched x times in the search bar and/or have at least an hour or two of post reading.

Let’s keep it friendly in any case, for me too sometimes it is hard to stay 100% positive when reading some people’s post, or recognizing a rude attitude from their speech. But as mentioned many times by some, picking a fight on the forum is the best way to get yourself burned. Disengaging is the wisest way to protect yourself. And indirectly : keeping the forum more positive.

I think a lot of frustration from people regularly using the forum, to share ideas and help others, could be drastically improved if there was a rule that would not allow anyone post anything in the forum before they at least searched x times in the search bar and/or have at least an hour or two of post reading.

Let’s keep it friendly in any case, for me too sometimes it is hard to stay 100% positive when reading some people’s post, or recognizing a rude attitude from their speech. But as mentioned many times by some, picking a fight on the forum is the best way to get yourself burned. Disengaging is the wisest way to protect yourself. And indirectly : keeping the forum more positive.

Great idea. This would encourage people to actually search for answers instead of being able to immediately post about something that has been covered so many times before.

It was suggested before, and as much as I like the idea, there would be a problem with it: buyers who need advice fast. Some buyers come to the forum only when they need a problem solved; they don’t hang out, often don’t read other topics, and definitely don’t spam or clutter the forum.

Plus I’m not sure whether it could be implemented on this forum.

A big thank you to all who shared their feelings and concerns.

Before I start replying to each forum member specifically about what they asked/suggested/shared, I’d like as a mod to address the incident from a few days ago.

I’m not making up excuses, I was asleep as this was going down. I woke up at 7am my time, for my morning run, when I noticed 20something flags on the forum and I immediately started looking into posts.

It took me a while to read the posts and how it all went down, but I immediately alerted the mod group chat we maintain and @wp_kid responded quickly.

We took all the necessary actions, and we sent a report to Matt, as that particular member had no place either on the forum or on the main platform.

However, that’s pretty much all mods can do in regards to “bringing justice”.

Fiverr staff needs to deal with what they want to do with that person on the main platform, and as far as the forum goes, we will take every measure to ensure that user doesn’t come back.

I feel bad for not being there for my community, I assure you it was a time-difference issue, and not neglect. I can only imagine what it must have felt like, having someone like that spewing all kinds of poison on this forum for however long it took before the mods came online.

So during the day I will be taking off the moderator hat, so I can respond to everyone, as I feel I should speak as a user and not as a referee. 🙂

Thank you!

I’d like as a mod to address the incident from a few days ago.

Why do I miss these moments…

I was asleep

Shocking! You don’t stay awake and online 24/7?

And really, joking aside, that IS all you can do as mods. There shouldn’t be any blame for mods (or staff for that matter) when someone goes off the rails on the forum. That is solely the individual’s fault. In terms of sweeping up afterwards, that was done as quickly as possible. The fallout, hurt feelings, anger etc should all be directed towards the user in question, nobody else.

Thank you for this post Frank, I totally agree with what you are saying and have even been subject to conversations that turned confrontational many times on the forum. Funnily enough I was actually talking to my friend the other day about the forum and how quickly a simple thread can descend into toxic arguments with certain users.

Compassion and understanding goes a long way and as a collective it would be nice to see this more. Someone asking a silly question or making a claim about “ranking their gig” should not be shot down in flames and berated on the forum… yes it can be frustrating however seeing the same comments insulting these posters is just as frustrating. ​

I have seen repeatable offences by certain members who just seems to argue and wish to engage in conflict rather than trying to help. I do hope this post encourages people to act with kindness and understanding in mind.

p.s I would happily throw my hat in the pot if you need any mods to help out.

Cheers,
Andrew

This is why I made my copypasta posts as formal and neutral as possible. (With the exception of the Tips category one. And now that I think about it, I should probably rework that one so as to be less angry.)

I’m really tempted to repost that GDC video, because it’s a great talk on the topic, even if it was made at a game developer’s conference. Actually, maybe it’s more relevant because it was at a GDC. Game communities are notorious for being at risk for toxic players and flash tempers, so it’s actually a decent case/scenario study.

This is why I made my copypasta posts as formal and neutral as possible. (With the exception of the Tips category one. And now that I think about it, I should probably rework that one so as to be less angry.)

I’m really tempted to repost that GDC video, because it’s a great talk on the topic, even if it was made at a game developer’s conference. Actually, maybe it’s more relevant because it was at a GDC. Game communities are notorious for being at risk for toxic players and flash tempers, so it’s actually a decent case/scenario study.

I have watched half of it and will finish it today.

It was suggested before, and as much as I like the idea, there would be a problem with it: buyers who need advice fast. Some buyers come to the forum only when they need a problem solved; they don’t hang out, often don’t read other topics, and definitely don’t spam or clutter the forum.

Plus I’m not sure whether it could be implemented on this forum.

buyers who need advice fast. Some buyers come to the forum only when they need a problem solved

I think in that case of emergency, most of the time it shall be solved by CS, if so crucial for their activity.

buyers who need advice fast. Some buyers come to the forum only when they need a problem solved

I think in that case of emergency, most of the time it shall be solved by CS, if so crucial for their activity.

CS often isn’t very fast. I mean, it is for some, but for others isn’t, even if it’s an urgent matter.

Archived