Music & Audio Forum Contest 🎧

fvrrmusic

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone!

This is my submittion for the contest. It was a total fun making this.

Thank you so much for the contest!

Cheers

IΒ΄m replying myself because i missed the explanation part…

Composition Process

My first step was to consolidate the structure. Thinking about it I knew i wanted to create a story, I love film scoring so i really like to tell a story with my music. I found Elsasollesvik’s voice very soft and warmy so I instantly thought about a mother hanging her child huming a sweet Lullaby at home who was getting sleep slowly start to having a diferent musical trip dream.

Intro

So I started to create a quite room ambience with a clockwork tapping the track tempo with a musicbox playing a bed song. Freesound.org is my favourite sound samples website, there I found the musicbox starting engine, and the clockwork. The voice track it’s amazing as Elsasollesvik’s made it, but i was looking for something more similar than a hum, so I edited the voice finding the actual intro voice hum but keeping it dry. The musicbox starting was amazing on that position but I had to create a musicbox melody. Musicbox from Spitfire LABS it really fit for me, they actually have an amazing bunch of free plug-ins, absolutely recommended. I automized both tracks (Voice & Music box) progressively merging with a reversed cinematic kick hit as the transition to the verse. The Reverb Aux insert iΒ΄m using for the diferent sections is Valhalla Vintage, iΒ΄m totally in love with it!

Verse

This part should was very quiet and progressive so i compose a piano melody with plug-in Cinematic Soft Piano from Spitfire. The voice changes to the original sample but with a lowpass EQ quitely distanced with reverb, because we are passing through the child’s dream. I used again Spitfire LABS but with a synth pad playing a secondary melody and complementing the piano as well. I always find amazing to reverse cuts from a few rendered tracks, i think it keeps the listener linked to the song, so i did it with some piano octaves. At the final part of the verse i added a warped synth bass loop from Spitfire audio Albion One to prepare the entrance of the first chorus with a Timpani progressive percussion as transition.

Chorus 1

I kept the piano melody but with a diferent progression (F, G, A) until the end of the track. As you could listen the clockwork track is still there, but on this part i wanted te progressively merge it to a designed clap track (5 diferent claps with Valhalla Vintage and a bit of Delay) and the clockwork would softly disappear.

I used heavyocity Damage for the principal percussion, reversing some kicks for the transition to the last chorus. This part has a automized Tremolo Strings Track to start creating emotion.

Chorus 2 & Ending

I added a few stacatto Mid/High/Low Strings section from Spitfire audio Albion One Orchestra and a Cristal Pad track from Evolve Mutations Library from Native Instruments. I went harder with that stacatto Strings to create tension and for the end a Cello from Best Service Emotional Cello plugin.

Mixing

I processed almost all tracks with EQ and Compression (SSL2+ EQ & SSL2+Comp) organized in the following instrument/stem sections:

-Strings Bus

-Percussion Bus

-FX’s Bus

-Piano Bus

-Voice Bus

I created a Reverb Aux (Valhalla Vintage as insert) for each section as well and a common Convolution Reverb from Convology XT.

For the Strings and Percussion sections i added CLA-2A and CLA-76 from Waves to find a better attachment in the final mix.

All tracks were automized trying to create more feeling and my Mix Peak was exactly -4,32 dBs.

Master:

I used a few Waves inserts for the Master Track:

-SSL Master Buss Compressor

-GW MixCentric

-MaxxBass

-Virtual Tape Machine (Slate Digital)

-C6 (Multiband Comp)

-L1 Limiter (-0,5 Out ceiling/ -2.0 Threshold)

Everything was done in Reaper mixed with Audiotechnica ATH-M50X and Mackie CR4 Studio Monitor.

And i forgot to mention I designed a track as the Musicbox atmosphere (created with Kinetic Treats from Native instruments) that takes place from the beginning to the end.

Thank you so much for reading this amazing process!

I’ve had a lot of fun listening to everyone’s entries the past couple of days and I finally managed to get some time to sit down and work on my entry!

I didn’t really have any direction when I started this track but after listening to the sample a couple of times it started to remind me of XXXTentacion’s work on his album β€œ17”, I’d reference the whole album since I think it’s a great listening experience from start to finish.

Step 1: Vocal Chops Pt. 1

I started out by changing the key to D minor, brought it down an octave and I also sped it up to around 110 BPM. I dragged the sample into SliceX (I’m using FL Studio 20).

Step 2: Very soothing chords

I did the chord progression on my Squier Strat that really needs some new strings, I thiiiink it’s iv7-VII-i7-i7. Didn’t record an amp, just straight through a DI, that way I get a bit more freedom with shaping the tone.

Waves plugins are a godsend.

Step 3: Chill drums and 808s

Wanted to keep the drums relaxed for this one and have a really nice bass following the kick.

Step 4: Syyynnthhhh

I used my Yamaha Reface CS for this because, why not? It’s virtual analog but can make some really nice sounds, with a bit of editing in post of course and I used Arturia’s replica of the Juno 6 chorus to spice it up.

I’ll be honest, I’ve never even been in the same room as a JUNO-6 but I love this chorus.

Step 5: Vocal Chops Pt. 2

Mooooore vocal chops! But this time without SliceX and without having them pitched down an octave. Also messed around with the drums a little for variation.

Step 6: Kind of Vocal Chops, Maybe Pt. 3(?)

I wanted to make a lead out of a part of the vocal, but I kind of ended up making a pluck/bell and I also only ended up using it in the outro of track. I dragged the sample into Edison, found the part I wanted, dragged THAT into the Sampler, looped a small part of it, meddled with the AEG and then made a complete mess of it in the mixer. TW: Mixing engineers look away now.

Mixer channel.

Epic sampler

Step 7: Arranging and mixing

Did a bit of automation for the intro into the main part of the track and that cool drum variation stuff I did in the middle haha. As for the mix, again, engineers look away.

Amazing arranging.

The best mixing.

7 steps are probably a bit much or not enough, I’m not sure, all I know is my main focus was to have fun with it and I love how the track turned out, thank you for this contest! There’s still about a week to go, should be interesting to see what others create until the deadline.

Irrelevant fun fact but the β€œcover art” is an actual picture of my home set-up, edited in GIMP.

aye man thats really cool! after listening to especially this one I need to head to the kitchen myself and cook up something for this competition πŸ™‚

IΒ΄m replying myself because i missed the explanation part…

Composition Process

My first step was to consolidate the structure. Thinking about it I knew i wanted to create a story, I love film scoring so i really like to tell a story with my music. I found Elsasollesvik’s voice very soft and warmy so I instantly thought about a mother hanging her child huming a sweet Lullaby at home who was getting sleep slowly start to having a diferent musical trip dream.

Intro

So I started to create a quite room ambience with a clockwork tapping the track tempo with a musicbox playing a bed song. Freesound.org is my favourite sound samples website, there I found the musicbox starting engine, and the clockwork. The voice track it’s amazing as Elsasollesvik’s made it, but i was looking for something more similar than a hum, so I edited the voice finding the actual intro voice hum but keeping it dry. The musicbox starting was amazing on that position but I had to create a musicbox melody. Musicbox from Spitfire LABS it really fit for me, they actually have an amazing bunch of free plug-ins, absolutely recommended. I automized both tracks (Voice & Music box) progressively merging with a reversed cinematic kick hit as the transition to the verse. The Reverb Aux insert iΒ΄m using for the diferent sections is Valhalla Vintage, iΒ΄m totally in love with it!

Verse

This part should was very quiet and progressive so i compose a piano melody with plug-in Cinematic Soft Piano from Spitfire. The voice changes to the original sample but with a lowpass EQ quitely distanced with reverb, because we are passing through the child’s dream. I used again Spitfire LABS but with a synth pad playing a secondary melody and complementing the piano as well. I always find amazing to reverse cuts from a few rendered tracks, i think it keeps the listener linked to the song, so i did it with some piano octaves. At the final part of the verse i added a warped synth bass loop from Spitfire audio Albion One to prepare the entrance of the first chorus with a Timpani progressive percussion as transition.

Chorus 1

I kept the piano melody but with a diferent progression (F, G, A) until the end of the track. As you could listen the clockwork track is still there, but on this part i wanted te progressively merge it to a designed clap track (5 diferent claps with Valhalla Vintage and a bit of Delay) and the clockwork would softly disappear.

I used heavyocity Damage for the principal percussion, reversing some kicks for the transition to the last chorus. This part has a automized Tremolo Strings Track to start creating emotion.

Chorus 2 & Ending

I added a few stacatto Mid/High/Low Strings section from Spitfire audio Albion One Orchestra and a Cristal Pad track from Evolve Mutations Library from Native Instruments. I went harder with that stacatto Strings to create tension and for the end a Cello from Best Service Emotional Cello plugin.

Mixing

I processed almost all tracks with EQ and Compression (SSL2+ EQ & SSL2+Comp) organized in the following instrument/stem sections:

-Strings Bus

-Percussion Bus

-FX’s Bus

-Piano Bus

-Voice Bus

I created a Reverb Aux (Valhalla Vintage as insert) for each section as well and a common Convolution Reverb from Convology XT.

For the Strings and Percussion sections i added CLA-2A and CLA-76 from Waves to find a better attachment in the final mix.

All tracks were automized trying to create more feeling and my Mix Peak was exactly -4,32 dBs.

Master:

I used a few Waves inserts for the Master Track:

-SSL Master Buss Compressor

-GW MixCentric

-MaxxBass

-Virtual Tape Machine (Slate Digital)

-C6 (Multiband Comp)

-L1 Limiter (-0,5 Out ceiling/ -2.0 Threshold)

Everything was done in Reaper mixed with Audiotechnica ATH-M50X and Mackie CR4 Studio Monitor.

And i forgot to mention I designed a track as the Musicbox atmosphere (created with Kinetic Treats from Native instruments) that takes place from the beginning to the end.

Thank you so much for reading this amazing process!

beautiful cue!

Love that cello line in the ending part!

aye man thats really cool! after listening to especially this one I need to head to the kitchen myself and cook up something for this competition πŸ™‚

I really appreciate your kind words @torpedobeatz, music composers company itΒ΄s the best!! Go ahead, can’t wait to hear your creation!! πŸ˜ƒ

Super late on this (still have got some time though), I’ve made a few demos but I’m not satisfied with any of them unlike this very last one I’m working on.

I’m whipping up a sort of Daft Punk tribute. Think a general

vibe with
vocals chop and screwing. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Attention Fiverr Music & Audio Community! Let’s try something new. I’m excited to kick off the first music & audio contest! Time to get your creative juices flowing.

The task is simple. Download this sample, made by awesome fiverr seller Elsasollesvik, and make whatever you want with it! It’s that simple. You can create a beat with it, play it on your instrument, sing an a-capella cover of it, produce an orchestral score behind it, time stretch and flip it into something new… anything you can think of! The only rule is that you must use this sample (any part of it - doesn’t need to be all), and it has to be under 2 minutes.

To submit your take, just fill out this form, and post your track in this thread (explanations of your work are highly encouraged) by March 15th. Once you do that, you’re in. Submissions be judged on creativity. Oh and one more thing… winner gets $100 in Fiverr credit! Excited to see what everyone comes up with!

The sample is 100bpm and in the key of C#maj

Let’s get to creating!

Adam

Terms and conditions can be found here

by March 15th .

Um…

image.thumb.png.5f2cf83d622251cd594a564226901186.png
image1600Γ—900 226 KB

Eh, I guess I’ll submit anyway. If it’s actually too late, oh well.

Not much story behind this. Mainly I had recently re-watched Coco, and felt like a mariachi would be an interesting challenge to integrate with the voice sample. (Tools: MuseScore and Audacity for music, ArtFlow, GIMP, and ShotCut for video.)

Edit to add a few things, I guess.

Not sure why, now that I think about it, but I decided to keep the sample clip unedited and stick to the key of C#M. Build the score around the sample instead of modifying the sample.

Sheet music!

image.thumb.png.d566f750894246b701d19bd25b7dd279.png
image1600Γ—900 246 KB

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.4dae53669c3858d0b01da6bd08f7c84f.jpg

Guest denoscottmusic

Hello there everybody!
Here is my entry. A LoFi style track. I played acoustic guitar and bass and really enjoyed creating this kind of mood with the sample.

Hi there,

here’s my submission for the contest: Fiverr Contest by Bart Spruit | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Regards,

Bart Spruit

[https://music.********

Mod note: Url removed

This is by far the best track on here. Don’t get me wrong, there were some decent entries, a few comical, including my own, but this one most appropriately utilizes the track. You got me in the mood to test out my new bass strings. :rofl:

Here is my entry to this fiverr contest i hope everyone enjoys it.
The track is called dance with me.

DAW Used: FL STUDIO
Instruments: ELECTRIC Guitar ( Epiphone lespaul traditional pro ) into a Line6 Spider 3 Amp
- Novation Launchkey 49 MK2
- AKAI MPD218
- Bass played with fretless bass guitar
- Produced Mixed and Mastered using Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen3
BPM : 90
KEY: Bminor

How it was made :

I tried to make the progression go with with the minor relative to The C# Key from the vocal sample to give it the major over minor feel which is commonly used in blues and jazz to give a happy vibe which made it all work when approaching it as pop dance track

if you have any further questions about the production of this track please do ! i really appreciate every input

Thanks to everyone participating and thanks to the fiverr team providing such contests making the community really active.
Coldvibz

Attention Fiverr Music & Audio Community! Let’s try something new. I’m excited to kick off the first music & audio contest! Time to get your creative juices flowing.

The task is simple. Download this sample, made by awesome fiverr seller Elsasollesvik, and make whatever you want with it! It’s that simple. You can create a beat with it, play it on your instrument, sing an a-capella cover of it, produce an orchestral score behind it, time stretch and flip it into something new… anything you can think of! The only rule is that you must use this sample (any part of it - doesn’t need to be all), and it has to be under 2 minutes.

To submit your take, just fill out this form, and post your track in this thread (explanations of your work are highly encouraged) by March 15th. Once you do that, you’re in. Submissions be judged on creativity. Oh and one more thing… winner gets $100 in Fiverr credit! Excited to see what everyone comes up with!

The sample is 100bpm and in the key of C#maj

Let’s get to creating!

Adam

Terms and conditions can be found here

@bartspruit and @coldvibz

Um, one of the two requirements/contest rules is the length needs to be sub 2 minutes.

The only rule is that you must use this sample ( any part of it - doesn’t need to be all), and it has to be under 2 minutes.

You both have time to provide tracks that simply fade out at the 1:59 mark.

reposted because i had to make it 2minutes

Here is my entry to this fiverr contest i hope everyone enjoys it.
The track is called dance with me.

DAW Used: FL STUDIO
Instruments: ELECTRIC Guitar ( Epiphone lespaul traditional pro ) into a Line6 Spider 3 Amp

• Novation Launchkey 49 MK2
  • AKAI MPD218
  • Bass played with fretless bass guitar
  • Produced Mixed and Mastered using Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen3
    BPM : 90
    KEY: Bminor

How it was made :

I tried to make the progression go with with the minor relative to The C# Key from the vocal sample to give it the major over minor feel which is commonly used in blues and jazz to give a happy vibe which made it all work when approaching it as pop dance track

if you have any further questions about the production of this track please do ! i really appreciate every input

Thanks to everyone participating and thanks to the fiverr team providing such contests making the community really active.
Coldvibz

Took me a while, but it’s finally done! πŸ™‚ Will submit the form now.

Backstory

I started making some drafts in the week after the contest opened, but I was pretty aimless and had no idea how to spin it.
Initially I was going for a more Burial/Crystal Castles vibe with something that sounds completely β€œclub” like their music (booming bass and a classic kick-clap beat). Daft Punk’s recent split came to mind – since they were a very important band for me – and the rest is history.

The track

Some tracks above are in the style of retro games or a bit β€œanime”; meanwhile my take is a tribute song whose style spans over all of Daft Punk’s discography.

Both my track and Something About Us (Discovery) share the same tempo, while the key is that of the sample as I wanted to keep it natural; it’s got a banging drum machine with 16 hi-hats per bar from their earlier (Homework) or harder days (Human After All); it tries to be a condensed epic in 2 minutes like their later spoken word or take-it-slow tracks (Random Access Memories).

Rather than sending more than one track, I integrated in this better take what was left over from my earlier attempts like that nighttime/urban/thunderous ambiance (storm recording for free use courtesy of a certain Richard from FreeSound) typical of Burial tracks, and the chopped vocals sequence from my Crystal Castles attempt.

The very subdued 303 without distortion with simple melodies and slow modulation of the parameters fit perfectly in Daft Punk’s style.

Production

I evenly spaced the instruments in the soundstage through panning and some more advanced stereo delay/unison tricks.
Overdrive distortions and multiple reverbs were used. Volume automation is frequently used, and there’s a humble limiter on the master bus.
At the end of the track, the Transistor Bass’ built-in delay comes into play. The other 303 melody has a bit of an LP filter/resonance game going on, like the drums at the beginning… and this is everything that was used.

What I used

DAW: FL Studio 20
Melody: Transistor Bass, which is a TB-303 clone upped to 11
Submelody: sounds from an original Roland TB-303!
Bass at the end: a patch I made in Sawer
Drums: CR-78 snare, 808 clap, rim and Minipops kick

The project file and other stuff

screenprod.thumb.png.b33eb0d2e133fa0dee6dfb3954e2aa34.png
screenprod1477Γ—951 172 KB

Yes, it’s messy and has no pretty colours but it works, and if it works, it ain’t stupid in my book! πŸ˜‚

Total production time according to FL Studio: 3 hours, 1 minute
BPM: 100
Key: C# Major
Number of channels: 7 (would just fit on an 8-track with analog equipment)
Instruments: 3 to 4 realistically

It lasts exactly 2 minutes, if Youtube says 2:01 or something it’s just being funny.

And that’s it! Thanks to everyone! 😁

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.09be9df4b30a03574d0d6ea6a9bb1af0.jpg

@bartspruit and @coldvibz

Um, one of the two requirements/contest rules is the length needs to be sub 2 minutes.

The only rule is that you must use this sample ( any part of it - doesn’t need to be all), and it has to be under 2 minutes.

You both have time to provide tracks that simply fade out at the 1:59 mark.

Thanks! I have adjusted the length of the track and did a new upload πŸ™‚ Have a nice day. Bart

Entry Link (soundcloud): Fiverr Contest - Untitled by Alyanna S (Musika) | Free Listening on SoundCloud
and also, on youtube:

Just saw this yesterday and couldn’t work on it, so here’s my rushed entry! There were some volume issues that I was too lazy to fix, but meh, it works xD (and I kinda rushed the beat…oh well)

I used a MIDI keyboard, Logic Pro X, and Akai MPD226. Made in an hour (worked on it from 2am-3am because I saw this really late)

Started it out lofi-ish (random beat, some chords, then the vocal sample), and then added some orchestra because why not amirite?

Woops this one went quite close to the deadline, but here we go.

I decided to go all goofy with this one so instead of one cohesive track I wanted to study the sample on different genres and use a multitude of different processors and methods to the sample. Let me present to you the ultimate pitch correction space odyssey of the century: β€œOde to Melodyne”

Part 1. Flume/Zedd inspired 2015s sound
Haven’t produced anything like this for ages! I decided immediately after hearing the sample for the first time that I got to try some cheesy mid 2010s EDM/future bass sounds with those iconic vocal samples and chops.

Part 2. cinematic strings
After the rather energetic intro we need to chill out and relax for a bit - Time to put those Spitfire Audio libraries to use πŸ˜‰

Part 3. Musique concrète /Acousmatic music
Well, not actually musique concrete but something like that I guess πŸ˜ƒ
I had used all the basic spices in parts 1 & 2 (including: flooding the sample with reverb and delay, destroying the formants with little alterboy and making chord swells from the original vocal with melodyne) and I knew that for the part 3 I would need to grab something else. So after minutes of scrolling through my plugin folder I found that I had still the GRM Tools installed and decided to go full granular with this one! used quite a lot of Reson, Delays, Freeze and Evolution among others to get some really
liquid transitions between effects.

Part 4. deep House
At this point of the song, my inner club-o-meter was hitting red, so some direct actions were needed. Instantly dialed a new tempo, slapped that 4 to the floor and started to juggle the sample into a deep house style!

Part 5. Metal something?
I knew I was not done. Not yet. There was still one thing to do. The vocals. needed. AN AMPLIFIER!!
So I instantly crafted a bassline on melodyne from the original sample, duplicated that 2 times and went all in with different amp simulations, added some bad ass drums.

I have really enjoyed all of your submissions, some real gems over here! Best of luck to everybody to the contest!

It went quiet. Any closing words or news on judging?

πŸ™‚

Any closing words or news on judging?

Yes to both!

Wow - blown away by all the entries. When I first heard Elsasollesvik samples, I could not have imagined the types of tracks you all came up with. Super unique takes across so many genres.

The winner will be announced here within the next few days… plus it’s looking like we’ll add 2nd and 3rd place prizes too with all these great submissions!

In the meantime, would love to hear any feedback on this. Should we do more contests? Different types of prizes? Different types of challenges? All opinions are welcome

Yes to both!

Wow - blown away by all the entries. When I first heard Elsasollesvik samples, I could not have imagined the types of tracks you all came up with. Super unique takes across so many genres.

The winner will be announced here within the next few days… plus it’s looking like we’ll add 2nd and 3rd place prizes too with all these great submissions!

In the meantime, would love to hear any feedback on this. Should we do more contests? Different types of prizes? Different types of challenges? All opinions are welcome

Yes @fvrrmusic more contest, it’s fun 😁 And I don’t think I’m the only one who would like to hear a version made by you, although you can’t compete.

Yes to both!

Much needed love for the Music & Audio side of Fiverr, I’m sure everyone would love more contests or community challenges and it was great to finally hear everyone in their creative zones. Looking forward to whatever comes next!

Archived