How to get exactly what you are looking for!

barrelofmonkeys

As direct advice for buyers; I've found that whenever I've gotten a botched delivery, it's because I didn't add enough context. If the seller know what you're using the delivery for, what it fits into, they'll be able to make it fit better.

The earliest example if this I encountered was while getting landscape art for a fantasy setting. A few of the deliveries for some ocean-themes pieces contained modern ships. I hadn't mentioned in the task details that it was for a fantasy setting.

Like, at the start, my tasks details looked like this:

Hello again, I'm wondering if you would be willing to do another landscape at the Basic/$5 tier, inspired by this text:
"Whale Migrations - Mass migration of giant sea life travels below the ship, their geyser-like emissions causing trouble."
I don't have a specific thought on how it should look, but it should generally look like it's in the middle of the ocean. I don't need detailed whales or anything, just spouts/geysers among the waves is good. It would be the same book ratio as before of 8.5 inches wide by 11 inches high with anything between 72 and 300 dpi being fine.

And by the end of it, my tasks details looked more like:

Hello! I'm wondering if you would be willing to do a landscape at the Basic tier inspired by this text:
"
Whale Migrations - Mass migration of giant sea life travels below the ship, their geyser-like emissions causing trouble."
I don't have a specific thought on how it should look, but it should generally look like it's in the middle of the ocean. I don't need detailed whales or anything, just spouts/geysers among the waves is good.
-
The setting is Fantasy like Dungeons & Dragons (no modern-looking elements).
- It is summer-themed (clear, bright skies).
- It is far out in the ocean (no land visible).
- Daytime is preferred so that details are more discernable.
It would be for a book, sized 8.5 inches wide by 11 inches high. Anything between 72 and 300 dpi would be fine, in a .png.

Basically, the list in the middle is something that will come from experience. It's hard to predict. It would be nice if sellers also kept track of those mis-understandings which caused revision requests, to pose it like a set of questions to new buyers. For example, the question about "Day time or night time?" came from a seller. 

• Like 89
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/20/2018 at 2:24 PM, barrelofmonkeys said:

Being a voice over seller, it makes a world of difference when I can talk a bit with a buyer

I can certainly see what you mean as a voice over seller. If you're speaking over Zoom, perhaps you could even try out different tones to see what style the buyer is seeking. While I am always open to having a conversation in the message center first (as a writer), I have personally found that the finished product for buyers who order straight away is the same, so long as the buyers completely fill out the gig requirements. Thank you for the post! 😃

• Like 64
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2021 at 7:26 PM, newsmike said:

Don't buy anything priced at $5.  You get what you pay for.

You're welcome. 

Not that you need me to support you, but I can't get behind you on this one.  Totally support "you get what you pay for", but that doesn't innately imply poor quality. It can mean you are buying risk.  Plenty of people on Fiverr are offering high quality services for $5 because that is what it takes to get their feet in the door.  So the "you get what you pay for" part, is buying the risk, not necessarily the quality. 

• Like 75
  • Up 9
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2021 at 4:53 AM, cs_evans said:

Not that you need me to support you, but I can't get behind you on this one.  Totally support "you get what you pay for", but that doesn't innately imply poor quality. It can mean you are buying risk.  Plenty of people on Fiverr are offering high quality services for $5 because that is what it takes to get their feet in the door.  So the "you get what you pay for" part, is buying the risk, not necessarily the quality. 

Excellent take. Although that will really depend on the type of service, naturally - some things are just impossible to get at $5 with any semblance of quality. But that is indeed the case for certain services.

• Like 61
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2019 at 1:34 PM, barrelofmonkeys said:
  1. Message them.
    For real, if you’re not sure if they can do your job, just go and message them. I love it when I get messaged because I know I can help iron out any other details that may be holding the seller back like certain voices or different accents or that kind of thing

In my experience as a seller, messaging the seller is one of the most valid ways to assess the seller. Naturally, humans work better when there is direct communication between them. No matter how good a gig description may be, it is always better to have a conversation with your sellers.

All the same, thanks for sharing.

• Like 81
  • Confused 1
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
  • wp_kid locked this topic
  • 1 month later...

You can identify through multiple ways that whether the seller is good fit for you or not

Communication: It is key to know about the person and it's proficiency in their skills. Your 60% research will end up here

Work samples: It is important to collect some samples from the sellers related to your work.

Feedbacks: Just go through the reviews and feedbacks of sellers and also ready some negative reviews so you will know about the pros and cons of a seller.

• Like 66
  • Congrats! 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/14/2021 at 9:28 AM, anwer_bijoy said:

Buyer need level one or two seller who are most experience person

Partially agree with your statement.

But it might be a new seller on Fiverr who is expert in his skills and didn't heard about this platform. Seriously a lot pf people are not aware of the Fiverr but still they are providing services to their clients using multiple platforms.

• Like 63
  • Thanks 3

When you’re ready to hire a seller, you should know what to look for. Find a seller who has the right experience, the right style, and the right attitude for your project. And don’t be afraid to ask questions. If the seller has the right experience, they’ll be able to provide some context for your project features and functionality.

• Like 64
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 4

• Lena locked this topic
  • 4 months later...

Every Buyer should give proper instruction for a seller.

Because  when a seller start to work buyer project he /she need to proper instruction. Otherwise, seller don't provide proper information or leads or data as required as demand of buyer. For these reason, seller have to face many problems. Sometimes, seller have to give more revisions for the requirement of buyer. Even buyer also give bad review for seller account which is very harmful for a seller Fiverr account.

If buyer give proper information & also give a demo sample, then it is very easy to do work for a seller work properly.

• Like 47
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2021 at 5:03 AM, jonbaas said:

I don't know about you, but I am one of many sellers who make a lot more than just $4 per order. Please don't assume that every seller works for cheap. Bottom of the barrel pricing usually results in bottom of the barrel buyers.

While this is true, I believe that most new sellers starts from the bottom of the barrel. I know I did, and even at bottom-barrel pricing, the Fiverr team asked me to lower my price to $30 for a service that took up at least 30 hours of my time to match another seller from a third-world country. That was poor advice, I know.

I turn out to be okay now.

Edited by strategist_ceo
  • Like 42
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, emailspedia said:

While you are choosing any freelancer for your potential work then always check their testimonials and reviews first. And pick them after that judgement of review and testimonials.

@emailspedia With due respect, I am not agree with you. Testimonial & review are not the only criteria to choose a skilled freelancer. As a buyer , before hiring a freelancer for your projects you should contact first, tell him/her, your jobs requirements, then wait what he/she feedback. Through chatting if you think the seller catch your job requirements with properly, then you can carry on dealing.  Their are lots of new freelancer who so skillful but they don't have reviews because of their account is new. So, You don't consider them unskilled. 

• Like 44
  • Thanks 4

@ahmed_faroquee I also love to consider your point also. My mean is just to help somebody who doesn't have any much knowledge about the criteria of choosing a freelancer. Testimonials are so helpful because they can show the buyer their past work and he or she can judge on this basis without any conversation. But I genuinely loved your point. Yup definitely testimonials and reviews are not the only judgable factors. Their skills matter.

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2020 at 5:50 AM, logosupreme said:

As a professional logo designer and owner of a branding studio, I’ve had quite interesting, fruitful and learning experience with buyers who hired me to design logo for their company/service. As we all know that creativity has no boundaries and one can always feel that a design can be better and better ! Hence, it’s very essential as a buyer who is looking to get a logo designed to understand this and make sure that he/she gets logo which matches with his/her vision.

So how as a buyer you can achieve it? Following 4 tips can help you to get the logo of your vision designed within the timeline and in a smooth manner.

1. Sketch: Do you think that you can draw a rough sketch of the logo that you’ve in mind? You don’t need to be great at drawing for this. But if you think you can do a primary sketch with pencil and paper, it would take half of the hassle. As we know that a picture speaks a thousand words, so a sketch would help better than a 1000 words long brief! This would help seller to understand your vision with utmost clarity. This will help buyer to save time and energy and at the same time get what is needed. But this is optional as sometimes, as a buyer you don’t know what exactly you would like until you see the designs ! But if you think that even if you can do a very primary sketch to begin with, it can get things done quickly and as expected.

2. Color preference: In my experience, I’ve received the exact hex code of colors from buyers which they want me to use for their logo. And it’s not so hard to get hex code or RGB code of the color that you like. And if you think that it’s too technical, you can simply share the image of the color that you like. This will make sure that you don’t go through logo concepts in colors that you don’t like. Of course, you can ask the logo designer to provide the same logo concept in different colors so that you can compare, but that’s a secondary matter. So if you have favorite colors you want used in the logo, simply share the same with designer.

3. Characteristic preference: A logo is not just a word but an ocean of creativity ! It literary is. A logo can be minimal, simple, feminine, masculine, fun, sporty, serious, vintage, luxurious, colourful, conservative, extravagant and so on. So if you know how exactly you want it to be, you can also share the same with seller. I’ve personally listed such few characteristics to choose under requirement form itself, so it makes easy for a buyer to decide and choose the style that fits with the purpose and branding of their business.

4. Brand Style Guide / Branding Booklet: Although, some buyers simply get the logo designed, now a days a brand style guide aka branding booklet is also very essential in terms of building your brand and making sure that your brand leaves the permanent effect in people’s mind. We can discuss at length about “What does a ‘brand’ mean?” but I’ll leave that for now ! But I can tell that what a branding booklet contains. It contains color palette(colors - color codes - used to create your logo), Typography (font names used to create your logo), Do’s and Dont’s(How to and how not to use logo), Usage Guidelines, Iconography etc. Now, how is this helpful? Well, it becomes quite handy when it comes to designing other graphic material (like brochure, pamphlet, ad etc.) and printing and web material. You can simply forward the branding booklet to designer so that he/she uses the same colors, typography etc. making sure that your branding value is not disturbed.

I hope that these 4 TIPS for Buyers are helpful if you’re looking to get your logo designed.

Thank you.

Yeah! Well said, it's a most for logo design to begin with a sketch. 

And to be precise a person doesn't have to be good in the sketching process to get it brand logo off ground.

It's all about bringing that idea into reality after the rough sketch.

• Like 77
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

1. clear goal setting
I think it is very important to first analyze what goals I want to achieve with my project before I start to hire a freelancer for my job. The best end result will come when I know exactly what I want to achieve.

2. orientation
If I know what exactly I want, as a buyer I should think about "how" I can achieve my goal & what activities will be necessary for my project & the process. 

3. information gathering 
It is best to exchange information with experts who are already where I want to be. If you don't have this network, you can also use search engines & similar to get a bigger picture. 

4. consulting
As soon as you know which activities & processes are necessary, you should ask the experts on Fiverr how they can help you achieve your goals & what the exact process might look like. For this, you can contact several experts at the same time to form a better opinion for yourself.

5. evaluation
Once you have all the necessary information and details, you should set your budget & add up all the cost points that are necessary to bring the project to its goal. 

6. budgeting
To do this, you can roughly round up all the cost points that would be necessary to complete the project. In principle, you should not be frugal, as long as the project is important to you. Especially if you are in the process of building up your own business project, which should later provide you with a return. Of course, you should not throw money out of the window, but definitely make sure that your experts can be paid reasonably to really deliver quality work. Personally, I have never received highly professional work for which I have not spent reasonable fees. The relevance to the final product makes the difference and decides in a business project / investment on your return!

7. choosing the right expert
I am an expert in a certain field and therefore know my subject best. Above all, you can recognize an expert when he really goes deep into the details & really wants to help you improve your project or reach your goal. You will find this out already in your consultation after your initial contact here on Fiverr. On the other hand, an expert should also embody the best of what he seems to offer. (For example: If a graphic designer promises you to edit your images very well, but even in his Fiverr listing has only very poor images or even images of poor quality, it can often be that you should be careful here & look closely at how credible this is. If in doubt, you can ask for a demo or similar already completed projects of the expert to review that in advance). 

8. do not hesitate long and give the GO
Of course you can evaluate everything for a long time & look for the supposed "perfect" match for your project, but you should keep in mind that perfection does not really exist & over analysing isn’t that thing that keeps you forward. As soon as everything feels right for you personally and the expert can meet your requirements, then give it a chance & hire. Do not focus too much on the price, because as described above, the best is not the cheapest. Good work always has its price, in order to be able to accomplish this at all. Try to think from the perspective of the other person too.

I wanted to share this personal advice & encourage others to make the best out of their projects. I hope I could do something with this contribution. Thanks a lot

Best Regards

• Like 44
  • Thanks 2

Hey there,

Thanks for sharing your amazing tip about hiring a seller.

It makes sense that you want to work with someone who loves what they do and they are really into their job. In order to make sure you find someone who is passionate, just talk to them actively and let them know all the details. Communication is very important here. The talking part is more like a job interview. Ask them specific and 'important' questions so that you can know about the personality of that person. When you work with someone who is excited about the project, it makes the whole thing a lot better. 

Thanks.

• Like 47
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 3