Is it possible to refund half of the money back to the buyer?

gameartgiger

Hey Guys! Hope you are doing Great!

I have worked for this Amazing client who wants me to refund half of the money because we are not on the same page, as she thinks my Illustration style is not suiting her story, the story had 24 Illustrations and I tried it twice making 48 Illustrations in two different styles and I am still willing to do it one more time but she does not want me to, she wants me to refund half of the payment to her back, so can you kindly guide me on how to do that?

I just pray it is not against Fiverr’'s Terms- Please help me! Thank you!

• Like 17

There’s no direct way to give a partial refund.

I think the recommended way to do it is to create a new custom offer for a new order (eg. half the price of the current one if you want to refund half) and then cancel the current order when that new order is made. Though it will affect your completion rate.

• Like 16

There’s no direct way to give a partial refund.

I think the recommended way to do it is to create a new custom offer for a new order (eg. half the price of the current one if you want to refund half) and then cancel the current order when that new order is made. Though it will affect your completion rate.

Hi! uk1000! Thank you!

Yes That will affect the conversion which I am worried about!

• Like 15

So - and pardon me for not understanding it - why would anyone order 24 illustrations and then just decide they don’t like it. Did they know your style beforehand?
I feel that they might be either scamming you (to get back some of their money but still use your illustrations) or they haven’t even checked your samples (or of course, without seeing what you have done for them, what you provided did not match up 100%. It’s hard to say without seeing both sides.)
I’d try to see where they come from (you’ve already done your job twice) and possibly contact support if it gets bad. Would definitely worry about them using your work AND getting some of their money back. (But it could be anything of course.)

• Like 21
  • Up 1

So - and pardon me for not understanding it - why would anyone order 24 illustrations and then just decide they don’t like it. Did they know your style beforehand?

I feel that they might be either scamming you (to get back some of their money but still use your illustrations) or they haven’t even checked your samples (or of course, without seeing what you have done for them, what you provided did not match up 100%. It’s hard to say without seeing both sides.)

I’d try to see where they come from (you’ve already done your job twice) and possibly contact support if it gets bad. Would definitely worry about them using your work AND getting some of their money back. (But it could be anything of course.)

Yes, I agree; few legitimate buyers would immediately start off with a long-term project.

• Like 14
  • Up 1

I do not mean to be intrusive here, but why did you keep your old images, I presumed you use them when you started working on Fiverr, but now you have some original work, why do you keep images from freepik and alamy in your portfolio?

You could have your gigs taken down if the new system that is announced here detects your images are not original.

Are your client aware you are using mashup of Freepik images in your delivery?

• Like 15

Hey,

You sound like an amazing person.

The best way to pull this off would be to contact the customer support. They can cancel the order for you as well as guide the buyer regarding partial refund.

Regardless of whatever happens, don’t let this ONE setback get you.

Keep up the great work.

xX

• Like 16

Your buyer chose you for their job - they must therefore have liked your style.

Your client gets you to do double the original amount of work that they paid for.

Then after getting you to do twice as much work - they want half their money back?

And you call them “amazing”? Totally ridiculous.

The buyer has to accept some responsibility here. They should have carried out due diligence to make sure you were the right seller to work with. They should have ordered two or three sample images to start with - not 24, which then turned into 48.

Your buyer is not “amazing” - they are awful. Why are you letting them walk all over you?

• Like 14

• 1 year later...

I am a buyer and I think while all of you guys have a valid perspective but it's a bit one sided. I am a physical product seller on Amazon. One of the products I sell is disposable cutlery. I can tell you from our reviews count and 4.7 rating that we are absolutely the dominate seller in this market and YET I get 4% of customers returning the product. One can also argue that they have seen the pictures, and how complicate can a disposable cutlery be? When you are in business either selling products or service, refund is natural part of it. From ethical standpoint for me at least, I don't want a customer's money if they are not happy with my product. 

Also there are many niches here where buyers can't see a portfolio due to privacy reasons. and they have to rely on reviews only. 

Lastly, specially in artistic niches, you might think a seller can deliver what you want based on what he has delivered in the past. but 9 out of 10 you won't find exactly the same type of design from their past works. You just look at what they have delivered in the past and think this seller can do it, but then they end up not delivering. 

Overall I have only asked one time for half refund, It was for a naming gig and the seller as amazing as she was could not deliver what I wanted and all her names were basically useless. I ended up coming up with the name myself. So instead of asking for a full refund I asked for half and left her 5 star reviews because she did really try hard to make it right for me. 

In my opinion buyers who are asking only for half refund are very decent. Sure there are some bad apples but that's just part of any business. However, I would argue 99% of buyers offering half refund are not trying to rip off the sellers

Apologies for my long rant I just thought it's good to have a buyer's perspective here as well :)

• Like 15

• 10 months later...

Hi, I wanted to make a comment since there 
is a little misinformation here which I'd like everyone to understand. 

The result is something me and the buyer agreed on. The question was posed merely to find out if this was a viable solution for us. Neither of us are upset.

1 He didn't do the job twice or provide 48 illustrations.

He did offer to redo them.

He did 2 illustrations in 3 weeks which I really liked. Then in 3 days he sent a batch of 18. If he had of sent them as they were completed we could have made revisions to keep them on track. I asked him for that to avoid this situation. 

Some looked quite good but unfortunately they were not connected to each other very well. Ie the main 2 characters looked very different in each illustration as if they didn't belong in the same story. I'm quite sure anyone seeing them would agree.

In addition there was a lot more work to be done in this job like adding text, formatting, drawing a front cover. About half the job. It just couldn't seem like we were on the right track. 

I made clear I didn't need any files as I am going to start over. So this is not some scheme to get back a payment. It's just to help mitigate the loss on a project that hasn't worked out for both of us. 

I offered after a slow start to the project that we cancel. He explained what happened and said he still felt comfortable with the deadline so we continued.

I mentioned from the beginning the characters must look a lot more similar than they did. He said he would harmonize them better. But the batch he sent were not similar looking in many ways. There were 18 that arrived all at once which needed a lot of work for us to tie them together. 

I have worked with other artists on this and other sites and would venture to say that it would be hard to find anyone who tips more extravagantly than me if the work is good. 

People ask about the style and that I must have liked it when I hired him.. I did like it, also the first 2 images were great.. Although again looked like 2 different characters. You can love an an artist's music, but not like the one they wrote for you. 

Bottom line, he and I are completely happy to move on. as far as I know. we've been very honest and open with each other.  
It's just a project that hasn't worked out, so we've decided to cut our losses. 
How this has ended up in a forum is beyond me. 
He will get half for doing half the job and I will get half back to use to restart the project. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...