Please add an option to "accept/decline a direct gig purchase without prior agreement"

hajirabatool

You assume that. However, in the past few months I had to cancel many orders due to health issues. The reason I manage to stay “alive” on the platform is that I learned to adapt to the platform changes

I’m so so sorry to read you’ve been ill. Thanks for sharing how you shaped things to adapt to your circumstances!

That’s what sellers need to do if they want to prevent bad orders and encourage good ones.

I hope your health cooperates with you better soon.

Thank you so much.

In my case things were rather rough on Fiverr for the past few months. I had to cancel quite a lot of orders due to health issues, and because of that I’ve been removed from search (at least I assume that’s the reason) for around a month and a half now. Not to mention some buyers didn’t really care about the issue and they brought some negative reviews even if they liked the work. But in the end I took this as a learning experience and I know how to better organize myself to cover even such issues, whenever they appear. So, I am staying as positive as possible.

Thank you for all the wishes and I hope you have an amazing 2021 🙂

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn’t it be just easier if 5r gave the seller an option to enable either:

1. Continue $XX or
  2. Contact Seller

If you enable #2 the buyer will be forced to contact you to discuss before placing order. That way you can either decline or send custom offer.

Truth be told, I think #2 would result in whole bunch of wasted time on the seller.

ALSO, I do not understand how a seller can start working on an order without reviewing (which you have mentioned that it will waste time. I mean this is what already being done. We start working on an order after understanding all requirement right?

It wastes time for the buyer. A buyer can’t stay online all the time and wait for a seller to reply. What if he tries to order from 10 sellers and they all decline? The buyer wastes a lot of time, maybe even days and no one works with him. It would be a common thing. Fiverr is a platform that tries to be friendly with buyers, they are the main focus because buyers are the one making the platform what it is today. You can have thousands of sellers, it doesn’t matter if there’s no one to buy those services. So, this feature would waste a lot of time for buyers. Even sellers like me that stay 18 hours a day online will have a 6-hour period in which they are not available. What if a buyer wants to order right away and he wastes 6 hours because I am offline?

And I REPEAT again that writing in GIG description WHATEVER does NOT help. Buyers still place the direct orders without discussion. THAT is the reason for this suggestion.

It works for me, and I am sure I am not the only one.

However, I, and loads of other mates, feel that it is a very important need for the system and if incorporated it will help quite a lot of users on this platform.

True, that doesn’t mean this feature can be imposed on people that don’t need it. You and your mates need it, but others like me and most buyers will find it an extra step that just doesn’t work. I am 100% sure that people who process more than 10-15 orders a day would find this horrendous and time-consuming. And there are many such sellers on the platform. It makes sense for sellers that have an order or two per day, but when you have a much larger order queue, this feature you want becomes a nightmare.

While it will help you, it will be very problematic for people with lots of orders in queue.

Also, this can’t be optional. Either Fiverr adds such a thing for everyone or they don’t add it at all. Why? It all comes down to the customer experience again. How can you explain to your buyer as a platform that for some sellers you have to wait for the seller hours and hours, and for others you just order right away?

It won’t benefit buyers, it will just waste time on their side. You can encourage communication yourself without the need for such a tool. If anything, this removes communication because the buyer would just try to order, you decline and he moves on. I see no communication there. If you want to better communicate, then you must adapt your gig description accordingly. So yes, this feature would make the platform very confusing and harder to use. I’ve been here long enough to see that buyers just want to send an order and receive the finished product. Any other extra step is frustrating and confusing. Fiverr would never add such a feature, there’s a reason why it was requested by a few sellers so many times. It’s counter intuitive, counter productive for the platform, and it would stand against what Fiverr does best. And that’s the fact you can order anything you want quickly and not go through many extra steps. They even streamlined the ordering process with gig packages, why would they add an extra step?? It makes no sense to me.

Feel free to request this, but it’s most likely not going to be added at all. Sorry to burst the bubble, but I am trying to be objective and think from all sides, Fiverr, buyer and sellers.

Think about the platform and how would this impact the way things work for Fiverr. It would add a lot of extra cancellations, a ton of payments need to be refunded if the purchase is declined. Maybe you don’t realize this, but whenever an order is initiated, the payment is already made. Even if you choose to decline, that payment was already made, so it would be refunded. That means you will have a lot of cancellations anyway. That’s how the payment system works on Fiverr. I am sure you will say they people could order without paying. You would be bombarded with order requests from random sellers and buyers, many of which will be joke orders because they can be done for free.

So yes, this will be a nightmare for Fiverr to implement, since it will lead to a ton of order cancellations, payment processing problems… And for what? Just to make a few sellers happy? The system is fine the way it is, optimizing gigs and the description will remove the problem. Also, you need to realize that cancellations will appear from time to time. I had someone that placed an order so I can write content for a credit card cloning website. Not only did I cancel (and received a penalty), but I also reported him to Fiverr via customer support, as it’s something illegal. These issues appear from time to time, just try to prevent canceling your regular orders and deliver on time. A few cancellations per month won’t impact your sales.

Yes your point is equally valid and makes sense. I don’t understand much from business perspective. I am looking for a solution basically. I have observed that significant number of freelancers are facing similar problems so there must be a solution to this other than asking someone to improve the business, increasing gig prices or adding something in Gig description. Because it’s not helping us. May be someone has a better solution than what I have proposed. All possible solutions shall be discussed here, because that’s what a community is supposed to do.

However, I think it is unfair to say that system is working fine for most of the buyers so Fiverr does not need to do anything. I hope we find a solution to this problem soon. Happy new year and stay healthy. Thanks.

1. Continue $XX or
  2. Contact Seller

If you enable #2 the buyer will be forced to contact you to discuss before placing order. That way you can either decline or send custom offer.

Truth be told, I think #2 would result in whole bunch of wasted time on the seller.

Good suggestion. Seller can opt if he wants to choose 1 or 2, considering that choosing 2 can cause him to loose clients who would prefer to directly purchase a service. But at least a seller would have some air to breath in, if he/she doesn’t want to work with direct purchases. I like the suggestion.

1. Continue $XX or
  2. Contact Seller

I dunno why I have this feeling…

But if 5r ever implements this feature, I’m sure declining an order will have a negative impact on your analytics. And that brings me back to… We already have the option to cancel an order that has been placed.

This is an amazing suggestions though…

1. Continue $XX or
  2. Contact Seller

I dunno why I have this feeling…

But if 5r ever implements this feature, I’m sure declining an order will have a negative impact on your analytics. And that brings me back to… We already have the option to cancel an order that has been placed.

This is an amazing suggestions though…

1. Continue $XX or
  2. Contact Seller

I’m sure declining an order will have a negative impact on your analytics.

As I said in one of my longer messages, when a buyer initiates an order, they already pay for the content. Even if you accept or decline, they already paid for it. So Fiverr would just have to refund the buyer and you would have an order cancellation. You can’t expect Fiverr to let anyone place a potential order and not pay for it, I would have hundreds of “orders” to accept or decline every day, orders that never end up coming to fruition because they were placed as a joke.

So, in these people’s quest to avoid cancellations and coming up with this feature, they would just end up with even more cancellations. This is not a solution. Optimize your gig and prepare yourself for a few random cancellations from time to time. This feature is never going to happen, unless Fiverr is ok with buyers leaving the platform because people continually decline their service.

That’s what the inbox is for, discussing something beforehand.

Good suggestion. Seller can opt if he wants to choose 1 or 2, considering that choosing 2 can cause him to loose clients who would prefer to directly purchase a service. But at least a seller would have some air to breath in, if he/she doesn’t want to work with direct purchases. I like the suggestion.

The buyer can already contact sellers, you already have a pretty large CONTACT button. As for continue with $xx, the buyer can already order. As I said, adding extra steps to orders wastes time for everyone. If anything, Fiverr needs to make the ordering process even faster, as that’s what buyers want. After so many years of being on the platform, a lot of people just want to place the order and go.

When you outsource something, you don’t want to waste any more time, you just pay for the service and expect the person to provide it. That’s what you need to focus on.

The buyer can already contact sellers, you already have a pretty large CONTACT button. As for continue with $xx, the buyer can already order. As I said, adding extra steps to orders wastes time for everyone. If anything, Fiverr needs to make the ordering process even faster, as that’s what buyers want. After so many years of being on the platform, a lot of people just want to place the order and go.

When you outsource something, you don’t want to waste any more time, you just pay for the service and expect the person to provide it. That’s what you need to focus on.

The buyer can already contact sellers, you already have a pretty large CONTACT button

This is a good option because it will let SELLERS to avoid those buyers who do not want to use CONTACT button on purpose.

If you have any better suggestion apart from suggesting for improvement in Gig description and increasing prices, please pour in. Rest has been explained a 100 times in previous comments so I think repeating them is not helping at all.

The buyer can already contact sellers, you already have a pretty large CONTACT button

This is a good option because it will let SELLERS to avoid those buyers who do not want to use CONTACT button on purpose.

If you have any better suggestion apart from suggesting for improvement in Gig description and increasing prices, please pour in. Rest has been explained a 100 times in previous comments so I think repeating them is not helping at all.

It’s a much better idea to stop people from ordering gig multiples, 20x your regular gig package, since you get x1 the deadline, but x20 the work. That’s a real problem.

This cancellation issue can easily be avoided by optimizing your gig description. However, it’s not possible to stop people from ordering gig multiples, that’s where the true problem lies.

I guess to each his own. Your issues can be solved simply by encouraging buyers to contact you beforehand.

It’s a much better idea to stop people from ordering gig multiples, 20x your regular gig package, since you get x1 the deadline, but x20 the work. That’s a real problem.

This cancellation issue can easily be avoided by optimizing your gig description. However, it’s not possible to stop people from ordering gig multiples, that’s where the true problem lies.

I guess to each his own. Your issues can be solved simply by encouraging buyers to contact you beforehand.

I’m not sure why she just just doesn’t advocate for Fiverr not penalizing us for cancelling unethical or out of scope orders instead of this.

The main issue is the ratings penalty and the deranking possibility of such orders and this approach would prevent the problems you describe. It’s probably a pipe dream but it is at least plausible.

I’m not sure why she just just doesn’t advocate for Fiverr not penalizing us for cancelling unethical or out of scope orders instead of this.

The main issue is the ratings penalty and the deranking possibility of such orders and this approach would prevent the problems you describe. It’s probably a pipe dream but it is at least plausible.

Flag it to CS and they will cancel the order without negative consequences to stats. I don’t know if it effects ranking though.

Flag it to CS and they will cancel the order without negative consequences to stats. I don’t know if it effects ranking though.

Thanks. Unfortunately this doesn’t always work. You’re pretty much relying on the discretion of the CS who responds and a lot of them are less than competent.

But it’s worth a try for sure. Thanks.

Because marketplaces can’t work that way.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. In every industry in the world people have a right to decline whether they want to work with someone.

Yes some buyers may complain about it but I would rather people complain that purchase a Gig without reading the full description and then forcing me to cancel the order; which in turn affects my reputation on Fiverr. I’ve had this happen multiple times and it’s beyond annoying.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. In every industry in the world people have a right to decline whether they want to work with someone.

Yes some buyers may complain about it but I would rather people complain that purchase a Gig without reading the full description and then forcing me to cancel the order; which in turn affects my reputation on Fiverr. I’ve had this happen multiple times and it’s beyond annoying.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. In every industry in the world people have a right to decline whether they want to work with someone

You DO have that right on Fiverr. It really is silly to act like you’re forced to do an order you don’t want to. You aren’t.

You know I wasn’t saying you are forced to do projects here. Come on, now. Way to twist my argument.

Fight for unfair practices from Fiverr but don’t act like anyone is forcing you do to orders. Please…

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. In every industry in the world people have a right to decline whether they want to work with someone

You DO have that right on Fiverr. It really is silly to act like you’re forced to do an order you don’t want to. You aren’t.

You know I wasn’t saying you are forced to do projects here. Come on, now. Way to twist my argument.

Fight for unfair practices from Fiverr but don’t act like anyone is forcing you do to orders. Please…

I’m not twisting your argument and I didn’t say I’m forced to do projects…

Your whole argument was that you think I’m saying people don’t have the right to refuse projects. Of course you do and I never suggested otherwise.

You’re rebutting an argument I never even made.

Your whole argument was that you think I’m saying people don’t have the right to refuse projects. Of course you do and I never suggested otherwise.

You’re rebutting an argument I never even made.

Haha, wow… I typed my response so fast I forgot what I responded with 😂

But still… we shouldn’t have to deal with people that make an order before reading our Gig descriptions - I’ve had to cancel 2 orders because of it. Decline may not be the best option but it would be a start.

I feel like this feature would be more useful for BR actually. I hate the fact that at any moment, one of the offers I’ve sent could be accepted even months later. Giving the option for Buyers to decline offer would be nice and give the opportunity to the seller to actually know what to expect. It makes me feel on edge not to know, but maybe it’s just me.😬

I feel like this feature would be more useful for BR actually. I hate the fact that at any moment, one of the offers I’ve sent could be accepted even months later. Giving the option for Buyers to decline offer would be nice and give the opportunity to the seller to actually know what to expect. It makes me feel on edge not to know, but maybe it’s just me.😬

I totally agree!! Just yesterday, a buyer placed an order for an offer I left a couple months ago! A couple months ago! And it was something that I’m no longer able to do, so I had to cancel the order.

• 3 weeks later...

I now put this before my Gig description: " Please message me if you have any questions and before placing an order.–"

Yet again, today I get someone ordering a gig without messaging me and now they want to cancel the order because they “don’t need it anymore”. I’ve contacted Fiverr CS, hopefully they can help me.

I don’t understand why people cannot follow simple instructions.

I now put this before my Gig description: " Please message me if you have any questions and before placing an order.–"

Yet again, today I get someone ordering a gig without messaging me and now they want to cancel the order because they “don’t need it anymore”. I’ve contacted Fiverr CS, hopefully they can help me.

I don’t understand why people cannot follow simple instructions.

Always annoying when buyers don’t follow requests / requirements. I think though this is widely speaking the nature of fiver, it’s a ‘grab something off the shelf’ buyers market, rather than ‘discuss requirements first’. That’s more common on other freelance platforms.

I think this may be in fivers roadmap to address though. More complex projects with higher price tags typically require deeper discussion. I think that’s why they introduced milestones and also now zoom functionality on some gigs. I wouldn’t be surprised if at some point they allowed sellers an option to make pre purchase discussion mandatory.

Anyway, who knows, that’s not necessarily the part of the market they’re after.

I personally hate getting messages first, I’d rather people just purchased, but because my gig is straightforward I know I can effectively manage their expectations in my description and requirements. I understand for more complex gigs you want to discuss it first.

Archived