Please add an option to "accept/decline a direct gig purchase without prior agreement"

hajirabatool

That’s why I am suggesting to add a control button “accept/decline” which would let sellers either accept or decline a direct purchase made without prior agreement or discussion. This should at least work better than how it is working right now. I think it’s way better to not initiate an order without seller’s consent than to cancel it later and reduce the rating of a seller, or demoting a seller from current level. Because such orders are not going to be entertained by a seller any way. So why not add a control button and make it more practical.

Because marketplaces can’t work that way.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because marketplaces can’t work that way.

I am confused here as marketplaces in the real world do work this way. A shop can decline service to anyone if they have fair reason (that not being color, creed etc) like not wearing clothes, swearing or demanding a $75 bottle of bourbon for $5.

If a buyer sends a $5 order with $75 worth of features/work or work/style that the seller doesn’t even do, why can that seller not decline with no fault against them?

Fiverr say to ask for an upgrade but if the buyer declines the seller is left to supper a cancellation demerit or antagonistic buyer who will hold poor review or other negative behaviors over the seller. to be fair a seller must have the right to decline work for any reason.

I might decline editing a Podcast in Hindi, not because I have a problem with Hindus but because if I have no way of separating a “valid” word from an “invalid” one how can I do the job properly?

🙂

I am confused here as marketplaces in the real world do work this way. A shop can decline service to anyone if they have fair reason (that not being color, creed etc) like not wearing clothes, swearing or demanding a $75 bottle of bourbon for $5.

If a buyer sends a $5 order with $75 worth of features/work or work/style that the seller doesn’t even do, why can that seller not decline with no fault against them?

Fiverr say to ask for an upgrade but if the buyer declines the seller is left to supper a cancellation demerit or antagonistic buyer who will hold poor review or other negative behaviors over the seller. to be fair a seller must have the right to decline work for any reason.

I might decline editing a Podcast in Hindi, not because I have a problem with Hindus but because if I have no way of separating a “valid” word from an “invalid” one how can I do the job properly?

🙂

to be fair a seller must have the right to decline work for any reason.

This would make the purchase process unbearable for most buyers. The main benefit of Fiverr for buyers is that you find a service, buy it and explain what you need, then you wait for the result. Do you realize how much adding a few more steps would hurt the experience?

Some sellers are away for days, so by the time a seller replies, the buyer would just have his funds locked in the Fiverr escrow, waiting a week most likely for a seller to eventually decline.

I understand how this benefits sellers, but it would be a nightmare for Fiverr and its buyers. So I am certain this will never happen. Yes, sellers will end up dealing with cancellation penalties, but at the end of the day it all comes down to making sure that you have the right price point for what you ask. Usually when you have higher prices, you repel the bad apples.

to be fair a seller must have the right to decline work for any reason.

This would make the purchase process unbearable for most buyers. The main benefit of Fiverr for buyers is that you find a service, buy it and explain what you need, then you wait for the result. Do you realize how much adding a few more steps would hurt the experience?

Some sellers are away for days, so by the time a seller replies, the buyer would just have his funds locked in the Fiverr escrow, waiting a week most likely for a seller to eventually decline.

I understand how this benefits sellers, but it would be a nightmare for Fiverr and its buyers. So I am certain this will never happen. Yes, sellers will end up dealing with cancellation penalties, but at the end of the day it all comes down to making sure that you have the right price point for what you ask. Usually when you have higher prices, you repel the bad apples.

This is the “big deal.”

You’re not thinking of how it would hurt buyers. You’re just thinking of how it would help you.

Some sellers are away for days, so by the time a seller replies, the buyer would just have his funds locked in the Fiverr escrow, waiting a week most likely for a seller to eventually decline

This is the “big deal.”

You’re not thinking of how it would hurt buyers. You’re just thinking of how it would help you.

Some sellers are away for days, so by the time a seller replies, the buyer would just have his funds locked in the Fiverr escrow, waiting a week most likely for a seller to eventually decline

I get this and don’t necessarily disagree but how many sellers would knock back jobs?

If jobs were being knocked back a lot it would most likely be the bad apples anyway and surely no one actually benefits from having them around as we all know what one bad apple does the whole barrel when left there.

There must be someone who asks: What price paradise? And who is this a paradise for?

🙂

🙂

A shop can decline service to anyone if they have fair reason (that not being color, creed etc) like not wearing clothes, swearing or demanding a $75 bottle of bourbon for $5

A shop is not a marketplace and so your analogy is not comparable to reality.

A marketplace is a hub where vendors are grouped together by an owner company that marks up each vendor to turn a profit.

A shop is a single or chain, autonomous vendor.

No marketplace owner would want to take the risks or manage the administration @donnovan86 describes here:

It is the marketplace owner who has to do the extra work and pay for the extra costs. It’s not only risky to them, but the costs outweigh the benefits.

A shop and a marketplace are two different things.

Take note, @hajirabatool. It’s not just about what sellers want. It’s about what is best for the marketplace financially and logistically and also about what is best for buyers.

I get this and don’t necessarily disagree but how many sellers would knock back jobs?

If jobs were being knocked back a lot it would most likely be the bad apples anyway and surely no one actually benefits from having them around as we all know what one bad apple does the whole barrel when left there.

There must be someone who asks: What price paradise? And who is this a paradise for?

🙂

Clearly you would since you want this feature.

Also, a lot of people who want that perfect 5-star rating would just push business away and keep only simple jobs where they can get a guaranteed 5-star review. You underestimate the lengths people go to just to have a perfect rating here.

A shop can decline service to anyone if they have fair reason (that not being color, creed etc) like not wearing clothes, swearing or demanding a $75 bottle of bourbon for $5

A shop is not a marketplace and so your analogy is not comparable to reality.

A marketplace is a hub where vendors are grouped together by an owner company that marks up each vendor to turn a profit.

A shop is a single or chain, autonomous vendor.

No marketplace owner would want to take the risks or manage the administration @donnovan86 describes here:

It is the marketplace owner who has to do the extra work and pay for the extra costs. It’s not only risky to them, but the costs outweigh the benefits.

A shop and a marketplace are two different things.

Take note, @hajirabatool. It’s not just about what sellers want. It’s about what is best for the marketplace financially and logistically and also about what is best for buyers.

Ok Ms Social I get that point in that being a Fiverr seller is more like being a shop inside a shopping gallery where the mall management tells you when you can and can’t be open so that overall the gallery appears vibrant and convenient for shoppers. The shop is happy to pay rent to the gallery gang because they ensure that the floor gets swept and shoppers are excited to be there (and buy).

Fair enough.

Until the center management stops sweeping the floor and lets hoodlums use it as a hangout which chases away the nice people who would have hung out and brought a biryani for breakfast (it alliterates).

My worry with all the online showrooms of sellers is that they are taking the rent but doing little to ensure the quality of shoppers remains positive because they see an endless line of other sellers. Fine, if the next seller is as good as the first who left, but we all know from reality that when a certain Mr Musk leaves SoCal for West Texas crude, the people who move into his old space are not his equal. They will talk a big game as they take the free dime but none of their space ships will fly.

So again we must ask why sellers would be declining work that arrives on their doorstep - even asking for the option?

🙂

Ok Ms Social I get that point in that being a Fiverr seller is more like being a shop inside a shopping gallery where the mall management tells you when you can and can’t be open so that overall the gallery appears vibrant and convenient for shoppers. The shop is happy to pay rent to the gallery gang because they ensure that the floor gets swept and shoppers are excited to be there (and buy).

Fair enough.

Until the center management stops sweeping the floor and lets hoodlums use it as a hangout which chases away the nice people who would have hung out and brought a biryani for breakfast (it alliterates).

My worry with all the online showrooms of sellers is that they are taking the rent but doing little to ensure the quality of shoppers remains positive because they see an endless line of other sellers. Fine, if the next seller is as good as the first who left, but we all know from reality that when a certain Mr Musk leaves SoCal for West Texas crude, the people who move into his old space are not his equal. They will talk a big game as they take the free dime but none of their space ships will fly.

So again we must ask why sellers would be declining work that arrives on their doorstep - even asking for the option?

🙂

So again we must ask why sellers would be declining work that arrives on their doorstep

If no one is declining orders, why do we need this feature in the first place?

Clearly you would since you want this feature.

Also, a lot of people who want that perfect 5-star rating would just push business away and keep only simple jobs where they can get a guaranteed 5-star review. You underestimate the lengths people go to just to have a perfect rating here.

That is a fair point too. I would not even think of my star rating as a general thing - or ever if it wasn’t a thing that people obsess over stars in stead of researching the seller’s portfolio.

I would be thinking, a) can I deliver this b) is the job fair?

If someone delivers me a basket case of a song where they wouldn’t know a note from a Notary, yet it is clear that they expect that for $15 I will be able to deliver them a Beyonce Grammy winning hit (as opposed to a fair but flawed result), I would have significant stress seeing that no matter what I did, no matter how much time I sunk in that job, they would be unhappy, why should I have to take that? Sir George Martin would not have. He would have politely declined.

I do see tho that whatever system is in place, certain people - the “hoodlums” - will try to game it instead of doing good work.

Today I reported a BR which was actually an advert for a seller. If this sort of thing was less prevalent, I would not be so concerned about getting those undeliverable jobs - and I don’t sell much o anything at $5.

🙂

So again we must ask why sellers would be declining work that arrives on their doorstep

If no one is declining orders, why do we need this feature in the first place?

Um that feel like a misquote and misconstrue. Did you read and understand the whole point or just take a few words and answer them rather randomly?

😦

Fair enough.

🙂

taking the rent but doing little to ensure the quality of shoppers remains positive because they see an endless line of other sellers

I totally agree. There are lots of ways to do this that would be marketplace-friendly. Fiverr needs to step it up, but I doubt they will. So our own targeting becomes that much more important.

Um that feel like a misquote and misconstrue. Did you read and understand the whole point or just take a few words and answer them rather randomly?

😦

Clearly this type of “feature” would waste time and resources on Fiverr’s side, not to mention it will add even more costs. As a Fiverr seller for 7 years now, I see no benefit from this, even if I am online up to 16-18 hours a day. It would just cause a lot of pressure to accept an order right away, otherwise the customers end up angry.

You can write in bold “CONTACT ME BEFORE PLACING YOUR ORDER” and it will do the trick just fine. Chances are that buyers who don"t read anything like that won"t care and continue to try and manipulate your orders.

So, I don’t see any benefit here. It might help others, but implementing this feature just to help 1% of Fiverr sellers and making the purchase process for buyers a lot harder isn’t worth it.

Do you know what feature would actually matter? Being able to lock packages and not have people buy 20x the package you provide with the regular 1x deadline for your package. That’s a problem, and that’s what brought me most of my negative reviews. That is something Fiverr needs to handle, and they could make it optional, if you want to have people buy 10-20x your package, you can leave it open. If you just want to lock your packages, then you should do that. I am sure this would help a lot more people.

Clearly this type of “feature” would waste time and resources on Fiverr’s side, not to mention it will add even more costs. As a Fiverr seller for 7 years now, I see no benefit from this, even if I am online up to 16-18 hours a day. It would just cause a lot of pressure to accept an order right away, otherwise the customers end up angry.

You can write in bold “CONTACT ME BEFORE PLACING YOUR ORDER” and it will do the trick just fine. Chances are that buyers who don"t read anything like that won"t care and continue to try and manipulate your orders.

So, I don’t see any benefit here. It might help others, but implementing this feature just to help 1% of Fiverr sellers and making the purchase process for buyers a lot harder isn’t worth it.

Do you know what feature would actually matter? Being able to lock packages and not have people buy 20x the package you provide with the regular 1x deadline for your package. That’s a problem, and that’s what brought me most of my negative reviews. That is something Fiverr needs to handle, and they could make it optional, if you want to have people buy 10-20x your package, you can leave it open. If you just want to lock your packages, then you should do that. I am sure this would help a lot more people.

Donovan, I don’t think you are understanding that I am taking this as an exploratory discussion and not actually opposing you.

I haven’t had the drama of multiple instancing of ordering with same tight delivery time issue but I can see that would definitely be a problem.

Just one of several areas where Fiverr could have thought ahead or be eager to close off once they realize…

I always encourage contact before order and not having (many) $5 Gigs (and that one is exploratory and so far has only brought someone who seems unable to say what he expects I can do for him) I have not hit it here, but have elsewhere where being able to decline was a godsend compared to the red-flag-waving storm I could see coming.

🙂

I don’t have a problem with people wishing for such a feature. But it’s useless for most people and it would just cause a lot of problems. As I said, the amount of inconvenience it would create to 99% of Fiverr users just to help 1% in specific instances… I don’t find it like something we need to pursue. It’s a forum, I am just sharing an opinion, just like you’re doing here.

As I already said above, being able to lock the 3 packages we provide and not be forced to work on multiples because buyers manipulate the ordering system, that’s a huge problem and one that needs to be addressed. This accept/decline thing can be solved simply by increasing prices, asking people to contact you before ordering, etc… However, I can’t stop people buying gig multiples, even if it’s already stated I don’t support that on my gig. So, everyone has their own problem. I encountered a lot of people on the forum with the same issue, but this wasn’t solved for years now. So I sincerely doubt an accept/decline thing will ever be implemented.

It’s a public forum, everyone can spend their time sharing and writing ideas, but I for one don’t see this useful or viable. Sorry for being blunt 🙂

I don’t have a problem with people wishing for such a feature. But it’s useless for most people and it would just cause a lot of problems. As I said, the amount of inconvenience it would create to 99% of Fiverr users just to help 1% in specific instances… I don’t find it like something we need to pursue. It’s a forum, I am just sharing an opinion, just like you’re doing here.

As I already said above, being able to lock the 3 packages we provide and not be forced to work on multiples because buyers manipulate the ordering system, that’s a huge problem and one that needs to be addressed. This accept/decline thing can be solved simply by increasing prices, asking people to contact you before ordering, etc… However, I can’t stop people buying gig multiples, even if it’s already stated I don’t support that on my gig. So, everyone has their own problem. I encountered a lot of people on the forum with the same issue, but this wasn’t solved for years now. So I sincerely doubt an accept/decline thing will ever be implemented.

It’s a public forum, everyone can spend their time sharing and writing ideas, but I for one don’t see this useful or viable. Sorry for being blunt 🙂

Sorry for being blunt

Rude, offensive, condescending… Are you sorry about that too? Sheesh and I am the Autistic person here :roll_eyes:

Anyway Donovan I don’t want drama with you. You mostly seem a stand-up seller. No sense in us arguing when there are real issues.

On a positive note it seems Fiverr did sweep the floor today after the seller I reported for using BR to tout his services got punted. just in time too as he was sending me abusive messages. So maybe I will:

Stay Another Day - Mix 1 by BenedictRoff-Marsh (soundcloud.com)

🙂

Sorry for being blunt

Rude, offensive, condescending… Are you sorry about that too? Sheesh and I am the Autistic person here :roll_eyes:

Anyway Donovan I don’t want drama with you. You mostly seem a stand-up seller. No sense in us arguing when there are real issues.

On a positive note it seems Fiverr did sweep the floor today after the seller I reported for using BR to tout his services got punted. just in time too as he was sending me abusive messages. So maybe I will:

Stay Another Day - Mix 1 by BenedictRoff-Marsh (soundcloud.com)

🙂

Rude, offensive, condescending

:man_facepalming:

You mostly seem a stand-up seller.

I didn’t address you personally, I just talked about the idea presented in this topic and shared my opinion. Which is what this forum is for. But clearly this is not an idea I agree with, I presented why this will not be beneficial to Fiverr and why they will most likely not do it. Someone has to show that too 🙂 I know sellers mostly think about their own needs and problems here, but you also need to see from Fiverr’s perspective.

As a business, I wouldn’t spend a lot of money and time just to make it harder for people to place an order. During the 7 years I’ve been on this platform, the purchase process was streamlined, so I don’t think that adding such a feature makes sense. When you’re a business that strives to make it easy to buy services, why would you add an extra step or two? Especially when that extra step can lead to a massive waiting time for the buyer. Just because a seller replies within a day or an hour on average, it might take a while to actually initiate an order. And those orders also have their own waiting time. It just doesn’t seem feasible to me if I think from a business perspective.

This is the “big deal.”

The buyer is also getting hurt either way, through cancellation or through declined order. Its just that seller would not be affected with someone else’s mistake/lack of communication.

Marketplaces work better when both the buyer and seller are comfortable to work with each other with their consent.

When you suggest to make improve the business/gig to repel bad buyers, you are asking to increase the prices probably. As I have explained earlier, this can cause to loose offers from serious buyers with minimal orders/requirements.

Writing clearly in BOLD that PLEASE DISCUSS BEFORE PLACING ORDER doesn’t help either.

The only solution is to add a control here right before initiating a direct purchase.

Rude, offensive, condescending

You mostly seem a stand-up seller.

I didn’t address you personally, I just talked about the idea presented in this topic and shared my opinion. Which is what this forum is for. But clearly this is not an idea I agree with, I presented why this will not be beneficial to Fiverr and why they will most likely not do it. Someone has to show that too 🙂 I know sellers mostly think about their own needs and problems here, but you also need to see from Fiverr’s perspective.

As a business, I wouldn’t spend a lot of money and time just to make it harder for people to place an order. During the 7 years I’ve been on this platform, the purchase process was streamlined, so I don’t think that adding such a feature makes sense. When you’re a business that strives to make it easy to buy services, why would you add an extra step or two? Especially when that extra step can lead to a massive waiting time for the buyer. Just because a seller replies within a day or an hour on average, it might take a while to actually initiate an order. And those orders also have their own waiting time. It just doesn’t seem feasible to me if I think from a business perspective.

What do you think the buyer would feel when the order get cancelled after being initiated? Isn’t it worst than waiting for a few hours to get the order reviewed and accepted by the seller? You are luck to have smooth 7 years on this platform. Not everyone is lucky enough. I had to cancel 3 orders in a single year.

The point is that if an option to accept/decline the order can be added, it will help both the buyer and the seller. There will be no cancellation once an order is reviewed and accepted by a seller. This will be surely a better option than to initiate the order on its own and then get cancelled.

What do you think the buyer would feel when the order get cancelled after being initiated? Isn’t it worst than waiting for a few hours to get the order reviewed and accepted by the seller? You are luck to have smooth 7 years on this platform. Not everyone is lucky enough. I had to cancel 3 orders in a single year.

The point is that if an option to accept/decline the order can be added, it will help both the buyer and the seller. There will be no cancellation once an order is reviewed and accepted by a seller. This will be surely a better option than to initiate the order on its own and then get cancelled.

What do you think the buyer would feel when the order get cancelled after being initiated? Isn’t it worst than waiting for a few hours to get the order reviewed and accepted by the seller?

It’s not about luck. It’s about knowing how to present your service and doing things right.

You don’t know if the seller is online or not as a buyer. You don’t know if he will reply in a few seconds or a few days. Adding an accept-decline thing would slow things down and buyers will be very frustrated. Remember, people come here for a smooth, fast ordering experience. They just want to order and wait for the result. No one wants to wait for the freelancer to accept an order. Plus, if you are a seller that processes dozens of orders per day, this can become frustrating.

The way the system works right now is fine. You can easily avoid cancellations if you just ask buyers to contact you before placing your order. Sure, the accept/decline thing might be good for you, but for 99% of buyers and sellers would just slow things down and become a nuissance. Think what would to for the platform itself, Fiverr would have to deal with even more payments canceled because the buyer is already paying for the order when you are asked to accept or decline the order.

No one things about the payment system nightmare such a system would create. So yes, Fiverr doesn’t have any benefit from such a system, if anything it would double or triple the amount of payment cancellations. And no one wants that.

The current ordering system is good the way it is. Try to find ways to optimize your gig and ask people to contact you. That would remove any issue.

You are luck to have smooth 7 years on this platform. Not everyone is lucky enough.

You assume that. However, in the past few months I had to cancel many orders due to health issues. The reason I manage to stay “alive” on the platform is that I learned to adapt to the platform changes. It’s not about luck, only some have luck here, but it’s just hard work, over and over, lost nights and studying the market.

The point is that if an option to accept/decline the order can be added, it will help both the buyer and the seller.

Not really. For the seller that processes dozens of orders every day, having to accept/decline dozens of orders every day can be time-consuming. Add to that the fact that you, as a seller processing lots of orders, you can end up declining an order or multiple orders by mistake. It’s such a flawed system… I can’t even begin to say the huge number of problems that can arise.

There will be no cancellation once an order is reviewed and accepted by a seller.

The seller can easily accept by mistake or decline by mistake. The order will be canceled and someone, aka the seller, has to be penalized for the order cancellation.

This will be surely a better option than to initiate the order on its own and then get cancelled.

Ask people to contact you first. That will minimize the number of cancellations.

What do you think the buyer would feel when the order get cancelled after being initiated?

The buyer can easily contact you first and there will not be any cancellation if you say that you can’t help him from the start. No order = no cancellation. If the gig info is confusing and the buyer doesn’t know what he is ordering, obviously an accept/decline thing won’t make any difference. There would still be a cancellation. So… it’s more about optimizing gigs here and making sure relevant information is added. More accurate gig info = less cancellations. We don’t need an accept-decline thing that would make some people’s life a living nightmare.

Take the “gig needs to be delivered in 12 hours” feature. It’s ok for someone that has 1-2 orders, but if you process dozens of orders per day, getting that notification 24+ times a day is annoying, you can’t turn it off, and it can make it easy to miss actual messages from customers. So just because a feature can exist, that doesn’t mean it’s useful. Same with this accept-decline thing. Just because it would help a few people, that doesn’t mean it will help everyone. Unless it will help everyone, I doubt Fiverr would ever add it. Not to mention it would cause a lot of waiting time and friction. Maybe we both reply fast, but there are sellers that reply in days. Would you pay $500 and wait a week until the order is declined???

I see why some would say this is a good idea, because it benefits them. But think from the platform perspective, Fiverr has no benefit coming from this. They would have even more cancellations, orders accepted or declined by mistake, many more payment refunds (that would bring problems with PayPal and banks), not to mention the fact that some people would just place an order by mistake and even if you accept the order as a seller, you would still have to refund.

There are much better, urgent features that need to be implemented such as the ability to lock gig packages and avoid people ordering 10x your gig package with a 1x gig package deadline…

What do you think the buyer would feel when the order get cancelled after being initiated? Isn’t it worst than waiting for a few hours to get the order reviewed and accepted by the seller?

It’s not about luck. It’s about knowing how to present your service and doing things right.

You don’t know if the seller is online or not as a buyer. You don’t know if he will reply in a few seconds or a few days. Adding an accept-decline thing would slow things down and buyers will be very frustrated. Remember, people come here for a smooth, fast ordering experience. They just want to order and wait for the result. No one wants to wait for the freelancer to accept an order. Plus, if you are a seller that processes dozens of orders per day, this can become frustrating.

The way the system works right now is fine. You can easily avoid cancellations if you just ask buyers to contact you before placing your order. Sure, the accept/decline thing might be good for you, but for 99% of buyers and sellers would just slow things down and become a nuissance. Think what would to for the platform itself, Fiverr would have to deal with even more payments canceled because the buyer is already paying for the order when you are asked to accept or decline the order.

No one things about the payment system nightmare such a system would create. So yes, Fiverr doesn’t have any benefit from such a system, if anything it would double or triple the amount of payment cancellations. And no one wants that.

The current ordering system is good the way it is. Try to find ways to optimize your gig and ask people to contact you. That would remove any issue.

You are luck to have smooth 7 years on this platform. Not everyone is lucky enough.

You assume that. However, in the past few months I had to cancel many orders due to health issues. The reason I manage to stay “alive” on the platform is that I learned to adapt to the platform changes. It’s not about luck, only some have luck here, but it’s just hard work, over and over, lost nights and studying the market.

The point is that if an option to accept/decline the order can be added, it will help both the buyer and the seller.

Not really. For the seller that processes dozens of orders every day, having to accept/decline dozens of orders every day can be time-consuming. Add to that the fact that you, as a seller processing lots of orders, you can end up declining an order or multiple orders by mistake. It’s such a flawed system… I can’t even begin to say the huge number of problems that can arise.

There will be no cancellation once an order is reviewed and accepted by a seller.

The seller can easily accept by mistake or decline by mistake. The order will be canceled and someone, aka the seller, has to be penalized for the order cancellation.

This will be surely a better option than to initiate the order on its own and then get cancelled.

Ask people to contact you first. That will minimize the number of cancellations.

What do you think the buyer would feel when the order get cancelled after being initiated?

The buyer can easily contact you first and there will not be any cancellation if you say that you can’t help him from the start. No order = no cancellation. If the gig info is confusing and the buyer doesn’t know what he is ordering, obviously an accept/decline thing won’t make any difference. There would still be a cancellation. So… it’s more about optimizing gigs here and making sure relevant information is added. More accurate gig info = less cancellations. We don’t need an accept-decline thing that would make some people’s life a living nightmare.

Take the “gig needs to be delivered in 12 hours” feature. It’s ok for someone that has 1-2 orders, but if you process dozens of orders per day, getting that notification 24+ times a day is annoying, you can’t turn it off, and it can make it easy to miss actual messages from customers. So just because a feature can exist, that doesn’t mean it’s useful. Same with this accept-decline thing. Just because it would help a few people, that doesn’t mean it will help everyone. Unless it will help everyone, I doubt Fiverr would ever add it. Not to mention it would cause a lot of waiting time and friction. Maybe we both reply fast, but there are sellers that reply in days. Would you pay $500 and wait a week until the order is declined???

I see why some would say this is a good idea, because it benefits them. But think from the platform perspective, Fiverr has no benefit coming from this. They would have even more cancellations, orders accepted or declined by mistake, many more payment refunds (that would bring problems with PayPal and banks), not to mention the fact that some people would just place an order by mistake and even if you accept the order as a seller, you would still have to refund.

There are much better, urgent features that need to be implemented such as the ability to lock gig packages and avoid people ordering 10x your gig package with a 1x gig package deadline…

Just search for “accept or decline option” and you will find 100 of posts and comments from sellers asking this since 2014. So, NO 99% of the sellers are not okay with what the system is already offering.

To add "accept/decline’’ button means to stop immediate order initiation without sellers consent, which means the payment will not be made. However, the PERFECT system already presented, as you have stated, takes the money from buyer without any guarantee that the order will be completed or cancelled from seller.

I will repeat again, The buyer has ALREADY to wait how the seller is going to respond to an order in the present FINE system.

ALSO, I do not understand how a seller can start working on an order without reviewing (which you have mentioned that it will waste time. I mean this is what already being done. We start working on an order after understanding all requirement right?

And I REPEAT again that writing in GIG description WHATEVER does NOT help. Buyers still place the direct orders without discussion. THAT is the reason for this suggestion.

The least benefit Fiverr can have is better working experience from both buyers and the sellers. The option of “accept/decline of direct Gig purchase” can be optional for sellers so that if a seller like you do not want it, simply do not turn it on for your profile. What is the big deal here.

I find no point in arguing over this and I think its not helpful. You have complete right to say whatever your point is. However, I, and loads of other mates, feel that it is a very important need for the system and if incorporated it will help quite a lot of users on this platform. It will benefit sellers, buyers and Fiverr because it will save time at both seller and buyer’s end. It will encourage communication and it will help making Fiverr a better marketplace for ALL.

You assume that. However, in the past few months I had to cancel many orders due to health issues. The reason I manage to stay “alive” on the platform is that I learned to adapt to the platform changes

I’m so so sorry to read you’ve been ill. Thanks for sharing how you shaped things to adapt to your circumstances!

That’s what sellers need to do if they want to prevent bad orders and encourage good ones.

I hope your health cooperates with you better soon.

Just search for “accept or decline option” and you will find 100 of posts and comments from sellers asking this since 2014. So, NO 99% of the sellers are not okay with what the system is already offering.

To add "accept/decline’’ button means to stop immediate order initiation without sellers consent, which means the payment will not be made. However, the PERFECT system already presented, as you have stated, takes the money from buyer without any guarantee that the order will be completed or cancelled from seller.

I will repeat again, The buyer has ALREADY to wait how the seller is going to respond to an order in the present FINE system.

ALSO, I do not understand how a seller can start working on an order without reviewing (which you have mentioned that it will waste time. I mean this is what already being done. We start working on an order after understanding all requirement right?

And I REPEAT again that writing in GIG description WHATEVER does NOT help. Buyers still place the direct orders without discussion. THAT is the reason for this suggestion.

The least benefit Fiverr can have is better working experience from both buyers and the sellers. The option of “accept/decline of direct Gig purchase” can be optional for sellers so that if a seller like you do not want it, simply do not turn it on for your profile. What is the big deal here.

I find no point in arguing over this and I think its not helpful. You have complete right to say whatever your point is. However, I, and loads of other mates, feel that it is a very important need for the system and if incorporated it will help quite a lot of users on this platform. It will benefit sellers, buyers and Fiverr because it will save time at both seller and buyer’s end. It will encourage communication and it will help making Fiverr a better marketplace for ALL.

It wastes time for the buyer. A buyer can’t stay online all the time and wait for a seller to reply. What if he tries to order from 10 sellers and they all decline? The buyer wastes a lot of time, maybe even days and no one works with him. It would be a common thing. Fiverr is a platform that tries to be friendly with buyers, they are the main focus because buyers are the one making the platform what it is today. You can have thousands of sellers, it doesn’t matter if there’s no one to buy those services. So, this feature would waste a lot of time for buyers. Even sellers like me that stay 18 hours a day online will have a 6-hour period in which they are not available. What if a buyer wants to order right away and he wastes 6 hours because I am offline?

It works for me, and I am sure I am not the only one.

However, I, and loads of other mates, feel that it is a very important need for the system and if incorporated it will help quite a lot of users on this platform.

True, that doesn’t mean this feature can be imposed on people that don’t need it. You and your mates need it, but others like me and most buyers will find it an extra step that just doesn’t work. I am 100% sure that people who process more than 10-15 orders a day would find this horrendous and time-consuming. And there are many such sellers on the platform. It makes sense for sellers that have an order or two per day, but when you have a much larger order queue, this feature you want becomes a nightmare.

While it will help you, it will be very problematic for people with lots of orders in queue.

Also, this can’t be optional. Either Fiverr adds such a thing for everyone or they don’t add it at all. Why? It all comes down to the customer experience again. How can you explain to your buyer as a platform that for some sellers you have to wait for the seller hours and hours, and for others you just order right away?

It won’t benefit buyers, it will just waste time on their side. You can encourage communication yourself without the need for such a tool. If anything, this removes communication because the buyer would just try to order, you decline and he moves on. I see no communication there. If you want to better communicate, then you must adapt your gig description accordingly. So yes, this feature would make the platform very confusing and harder to use. I’ve been here long enough to see that buyers just want to send an order and receive the finished product. Any other extra step is frustrating and confusing. Fiverr would never add such a feature, there’s a reason why it was requested by a few sellers so many times. It’s counter intuitive, counter productive for the platform, and it would stand against what Fiverr does best. And that’s the fact you can order anything you want quickly and not go through many extra steps. They even streamlined the ordering process with gig packages, why would they add an extra step?? It makes no sense to me.

Feel free to request this, but it’s most likely not going to be added at all. Sorry to burst the bubble, but I am trying to be objective and think from all sides, Fiverr, buyer and sellers.

Think about the platform and how would this impact the way things work for Fiverr. It would add a lot of extra cancellations, a ton of payments need to be refunded if the purchase is declined. Maybe you don’t realize this, but whenever an order is initiated, the payment is already made. Even if you choose to decline, that payment was already made, so it would be refunded. That means you will have a lot of cancellations anyway. That’s how the payment system works on Fiverr. I am sure you will say they people could order without paying. You would be bombarded with order requests from random sellers and buyers, many of which will be joke orders because they can be done for free.

So yes, this will be a nightmare for Fiverr to implement, since it will lead to a ton of order cancellations, payment processing problems… And for what? Just to make a few sellers happy? The system is fine the way it is, optimizing gigs and the description will remove the problem. Also, you need to realize that cancellations will appear from time to time. I had someone that placed an order so I can write content for a credit card cloning website. Not only did I cancel (and received a penalty), but I also reported him to Fiverr via customer support, as it’s something illegal. These issues appear from time to time, just try to prevent canceling your regular orders and deliver on time. A few cancellations per month won’t impact your sales.

Archived