We need to talk about the forum

cubittaudio

So, my original post has been edited, and the link to an example thread has been removed by a mod? :man_facepalming:

At no point was the linking to that thread done in an offensive or rude way. It was linking to a very clear example of the behaviour which we’re all discussing here. The bullets underneath were factual, summarising what had happened in the post. I can’t see that anyone has gone from this thread over to that one, to be rude/mean/offensive to anyone in that thread…

Yet somehow, linking to another post to discuss what’s going on in there is now against the forum rules?

Right, ok…

I can’t help but think this is a slightly ironic end to a conversation about how we ought to perhaps take a slightly braver stance against forum spam and misinformation, that after everything, it was my thread that was censored, while the original thread with all it’s misinformation still remains for all to see. :man_shrugging:

Edit - This post is not supposed to come across as a rant against mods btw. They have a tough job, and I respect them all very much. I just question whether, on this occasion, the right call was made, taking everything into consideration.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, my original post has been edited, and the link to an example thread has been removed by a mod? :man_facepalming:

At no point was the linking to that thread done in an offensive or rude way. It was linking to a very clear example of the behaviour which we’re all discussing here. The bullets underneath were factual, summarising what had happened in the post. I can’t see that anyone has gone from this thread over to that one, to be rude/mean/offensive to anyone in that thread…

Yet somehow, linking to another post to discuss what’s going on in there is now against the forum rules?

Right, ok…

I can’t help but think this is a slightly ironic end to a conversation about how we ought to perhaps take a slightly braver stance against forum spam and misinformation, that after everything, it was my thread that was censored, while the original thread with all it’s misinformation still remains for all to see. :man_shrugging:

Edit - This post is not supposed to come across as a rant against mods btw. They have a tough job, and I respect them all very much. I just question whether, on this occasion, the right call was made, taking everything into consideration.

It seems a lot of moderation is to silence people who speak out and incriminate Fiverr and the forum.

If only mods were as proactive about people spreading lies in the forum.

Right, ok…

Hi, I made the edit, just in case The op of the quoted thread may feel guilt that their topic is considered as a “just another annoying topic” and may lose confidence posting in the future. Apologies, if the edit causes any interruption.

Hi, I made the edit, just in case The op of the quoted thread may feel guilt that their topic is considered as a “just another annoying topic” and may lose confidence posting in the future. Apologies, if the edit causes any interruption.

just in case The op of the quoted thread may feel guilt

If you can be hypervigilant about this person’s feelings, why can’t you be vigilant about people who advocate harmful practices?

This is the discrepancy @cubittaudio is talking about. There is a ton of cherry picking in the moderation here and none of it promotes a more helpful and responsible forum. It does the opposite.

Hey @cubittaudio

I couldn’t agree more.

I’d love to help as many new members as possible but it seems like the number of posts we get a day about Fiverr hacks, exchanging ratings and even purchases will still be there.

We do need better tools to handle people who don’t want to learn or grow and said tools will also help keep good members active and more motivated to stick around.

I do believe there’s a new build in the works, but other than that I don’t know what changes we’ll get when that rolls out.

We do need better tools to handle people who don’t want to learn or grow and said tools will also help keep good members active and more motivated to stick around.

God bless you ! Really

I made the edit, just in case The op of the quoted thread may feel guilt that their topic is considered as a “just another annoying topic” and may lose confidence posting in the future.

Maybe those who post yet another annoying topic complaining about their gig ranking in search should be discouraged from posting and encouraged to read the countless topic about the same subject instead?

I made the edit, just in case The op of the quoted thread may feel guilt that their topic is considered as a “just another annoying topic” and may lose confidence posting in the future.

Maybe those who post yet another annoying topic complaining about their gig ranking in search should be discouraged from posting and encouraged to read the countless topic about the same subject instead?

It seems their feelings are more important than the feelings of sellers who are maligned by Fiverr’s terrible reputation, which stems from myths, scams and laziness in the forum.

Even though I’m cursed to be a new user in every community forever, I’d like to suggest a few solutions here:

#1. Increase the minimum number of characters required per post. That alone should eliminate 50-90% of the “Thank you for the advice” replies. Of course, people may use periods or emojis, but that will warrant a flag (to be reviewed).

#2. Turn the ‘heart sign’ into text that reads “Thank you”, or “I like it”, or both!

#3. Implement something like a chosen answer to a given thread. Maybe, mods can pick these answers, which then become the only visible reply while everything else goes behind a “view discussion” tag, both before and after the chosen reply. Of course, the mods will always be able to write the final reply and mark it as the chosen one.

#4. Limit the number of threads a person can open in a given time. Maybe, limit the number of replies too, a limit that increases with the user’s experience.

#5. Allow the OP to close and re-open their thread, even if it has been closed by a mod, unless and until the OP breaks a rule.

That’s it for now.

Mhm

Unfortunately, #2 and #5 won’t make much sense to the most.

…but feelings are always important.

You’re right, something needs to change :thinking:

:thinking:

I know this line is in the ‘old’ rules, and aren’t spelled out in the new ones, but it’s a good idea to read through everything in the “Rules and Guidelines” category.

Source: Forum Rules + Do's and Dont's

> In most forum categories, users are encouraged to post commentary that is insightful, useful, or meaningful. Some categories such as Conversations and the Ranting Pot have more leeway on this, whereas categories like Tips for Sellers, Tips for Buyers, and FAQ’s are more strict. Threads with excessive meaningless commentary may be cleaned up and closed . Posts on the main forum should be easily readable as text, so emojis should not be used so excessively that it is difficult to read the basic text content. Excessive emoji use on the main forum will be treated like other meaningless posts and may be flagged, cleaned up, or removed.

If users place comments on more serious threads and the comments appear to be for attention or self-promotion the comments may simply be removed. Post replies asking for personalized help are generally discouraged since it is much better for users to post their requests for help in Improve my Gig.

I know I read somewhere in the guidelines that people should use the heart/like rather than posting +1 or zero-content agreement and the like. I’ve been told “they’re just being friendly” but this behavior only perpetuates more of this behavior. The forum search option doesn’t work when the results are 90% irrelevant.

More directly related to this topic: limited flags and edits. I’ve been less active on the forums lately mainly due to constantly running out of flags. It’s frustrating to know I’m out of flags after I’ve run out and cannot flag what I was in the middle of flagging. About the only positive is that it’s a good sign that it’s time to leave for the day.

I was flagged once for encouraging someone to use the search feature to find the answer to their question. :thinking:

#1. Increase the minimum number of characters required per post. That alone should eliminate 50-90% of the “Thank you for the advice” replies. Of course, people may use periods or emojis, but that will warrant a flag (to be reviewed).

I like this idea. But sometimes, for me, 20 is too much. 😬

More directly related to this topic: limited flags and edits. I’ve been less active on the forums lately mainly due to constantly running out of flags. It’s frustrating to know I’m out of flags after I’ve run out and cannot flag what I was in the middle of flagging. About the only positive is that it’s a good sign that it’s time to leave for the day.

Me too. It gets so I hate to use my flags because of a post that is in the wrong category. Instead, I like to save them for more serious offenses, which may or may not occur. :roll_eyes:

I know I read somewhere in the guidelines that people should use the heart/like rather than posting +1 or zero-content agreement and the like. I’ve been told “they’re just being friendly” but this behavior only perpetuates more of this behavior. The forum search option doesn’t work when the results are 90% irrelevant.

100% agree with this. Let the hearts show friendliness!

Hey @cubittaudio

I couldn’t agree more.

I’d love to help as many new members as possible but it seems like the number of posts we get a day about Fiverr hacks, exchanging ratings and even purchases will still be there.

I do believe there’s a new build in the works, but other than that I don’t know what changes we’ll get when that rolls out.

it seems like the number of posts we get a day about Fiverr hacks, exchanging ratings and even purchases will still be there.

In the same way, I also experienced many new users are trying to exchange some favorites and sells. But Fiverr gives us right to report such posts, so I report them as many as possible.

But on the other hand, there’s a huge folk trying to post this type of exchanges. @Fiverr needs a strong forum moderators and support team to avoid it.

Could a quick win be for fiver to dispel the most common myths during the forum onboarding process? In addition to teaching users how to quote a comment or create a topic they could cover these myths.

To be honest though, fiver wants:

Sellers online
Sellers responding to buyer requests
Sellers posting on social media

So, maybe it’s not a problem fiver wants to solve…

I think the clear and present question here is: In this new forum we’re proposing, will Mooch be able to parody redundant posts and say absurd things?

There isn’t an issue more vital to the mental health of this forum. I do this for you and I can feel your love. Also, you need to shower.

I think we can all agree that steps should be taken to ensure my right to say silly things.

OP Note: Please refrain from using any reference to coffee, as it is legally protected under the “Mooch Thinks he Can Lay Claim to Everyday Items if he Refers to it in a Bit Act” -2013 … Formally known as the “Get Off My Kool-Aid Act” - 2011

In the very short answer I will tell :

Fiverr Forum , Here you will get solve your problem and you will be also solve others problem .

I am sure here you will get the best support as you want.

Thank You !

Fiverr Forum , Here you will get solve your problem and you will be also solve others problem .

Thank You !

It’s weird that you think we don’t know this and need to hear it from you. We know what the forum is, thank you, and we know what its value should be. That’s literally the whole point of this conversation.

You don’t accomplish anything by trying to convince people you are educating us. You aren’t.

By the way when you try to look smart publicly, it’s more effective if your English is at least somewhat correct.

Thank You !

It’s weird that you think we don’t know this and need to hear it from you. We know what the forum is, thank you, and we know what its value should be. That’s literally the whole point of this conversation.

You don’t accomplish anything by trying to convince people you are educating us. You aren’t.

By the way when you try to look smart publicly, it’s more effective if your English is at least somewhat correct.

I’m not skilled here. I try to give as much as I can. I am not proficient in English because I am Bengali

I’m not skilled here. I try to give as much as I can. I am not proficient in English because I am Bengali

I’m not skilled here. I try to give as much as I can.

Unfortunately, your previous post (the one where you talk about this forum) shows that you don’t even understand what the whole conversation is about, and that you haven’t even read (or understood) the first post in this topic.

This is why I have not been on here as much. It gets redundant.

I think the Fiverr Forum has lost many regular users over this same issue.

I think the Fiverr Forum has lost many regular

Yeah, I gotta agree with this, sadly. It’s good to know that some of you guys are still around! 😂

Thanks @frank_d

I ummed and aahed about whether or not to post this, but I genuinely believe that the forum has been of significant use to a lot of people in the past, and it could be again. But it does need a change of direction, and for you guys as mods to have the tools you need to help cut back on a lot of the noise, especially the noise that adds no value, or worse still, can cause harm if followed.

This is true, and I think this will always be the most challenging thing to fix, certainly in the short-term. Perhaps adding a ‘misinformation’ flag, similar to the spam flag we currently have? I agree that it’s open for abuse, but it could be linked to a forum rule making clear what is considered misinformation, and what is not.

Because cracking down on this also has to be in Fiverr’s best interests too. I had a quick look at Fiverr on LinkedIn, Twitter and Insta the other day, and every single post was flooded with “plz buy my gig” comments. It’s not a good look, especially for a business that’s clearly investing heavily in social media marketing (the correct form! 😉 )

Perhaps adding a ‘misinformation’ flag

The second you mention “misinformation” in any capacity, the delusion will only get worse. “See, they don’t want you to know the truth! They want ALL the orders for themselves”.

Ranting Pot is the only category I use at this point, both to post and to read. You can actually find interesting (and at times very upsetting) well-articulated stories where people are coming together to find a solution and you’re actually curious at how the situation plays out.

I used to be able to find 3-4 posts in the Latest to engage with, now it’s mostly white noise. So I figured that the forum wasn’t for everyone at all times and you just had to wait for your wave to come. I do appreciate still seeing familiar faces every time I do show up.

All the annoying misinformation replies would be downvoted to the end of the page.

That is assuming that the majority of active forum users don’t want to see them. Based on my experience, it’s a very optimistic assumption to make.

Someone really flagged my earlier post…

Wasn’t me, I <3 it. It’s nice to have you back, no matter how long you can last.

You aren’t giving us anything. You’re telling us what we already know.

Using the forum to try to make yourself look smart will not help you get orders. If you have nothing to say and don’t know anything and aren’t skilled, then don’t give advice.

The point of advice is being helpful, not trying to make yourself look smart.

I am not proficient in English because I am Bengali

I admire you for learning English and knowing it as well as you do. However, part of being successful on the Fiverr platform is being proficient in English.

Archived