What to do with buyers who know nothing?!

awais_098

Hello! There is this women who once bought a video from me. She asked me to to make a video for her website like an ad. Now she came back she asked for a sample for a new video she needed I agreed. She sent me the content. I choose some stock videos from the internet too and made her a good video on the beat of the music. The sample took like 1.5 to 1.6 hours. She asked me to change the music now as the video was set on beat I had to edit it again but I didn’t said no. She asked me to send her some tracks to choose from. I started finding the tracks which took time too. But than she disliked all of them and asked me to find new tracks.

I asked her to go to these websites there you can find a lot of tracks and can send me the one you like in this way time will be saved (as a lot of was been wasted). She got annoyed and started saying that “What are you charging for? Do I have to look it myself?” and this that now what to do? First I spent time on her free sample than the tracks and now this is what she is saying! Don’t know what to do. She doesn’t even know how much time it takes to work on something like this!

I have been in many situations before regarding music/soundtrack choices/disagreements. What i would suggest as a positive way forward is to not only suggest music but suggest tracks based on how they fit the video. You can show your proffesionalism by explaining how these will work better than others. Give a selection based on types of music, for example

Track one : Corporate (upbeat style) explain the reasons why this could work, such as the video is for a corporate setting, its light hearted without being too intrusive.

Track two: Modern Dubstep (energetic style) explain the reasons why this could work, such as the video is for a younger audience and matches the energetic video setting.

Once you have a good selection of tracks 1-5, i would then say, if these do not fit your styling can you let me know what type of music you would be looking for. The customer may say that they are looking for country music and now you can home in on that.

Just some tips 🙂

I have been in many situations before regarding music/soundtrack choices/disagreements. What i would suggest as a positive way forward is to not only suggest music but suggest tracks based on how they fit the video. You can show your proffesionalism by explaining how these will work better than others. Give a selection based on types of music, for example

Track one : Corporate (upbeat style) explain the reasons why this could work, such as the video is for a corporate setting, its light hearted without being too intrusive.

Track two: Modern Dubstep (energetic style) explain the reasons why this could work, such as the video is for a younger audience and matches the energetic video setting.

Once you have a good selection of tracks 1-5, i would then say, if these do not fit your styling can you let me know what type of music you would be looking for. The customer may say that they are looking for country music and now you can home in on that.

Just some tips 🙂

Best tips.

Wow! that experience speaks for itself.

Just some tips 🙂

You were doing all this running around before you even had a contract. Don’t do this. The “buyer” will see you as a free service and never pay for anything, even if you delivered “Titanic”.

If a buyer doesn’t want to do their own work that is fine. Charge them. If they don’t want to do their own work or pay you to do it for them, you don’t have a buyer but a life thief. A clueless person who doesn’t want to control their own destiny, but will be very happy to control yours as they grind you into the mud.

I never run around for people’s music. I make music so they can pay me to write something for them or supply what they want. The process they put you through almost always plays out badly as what you feel works does not fit their already established plan for AC/DC or Hans Zimmer - but they won’t say on the assumption that a) it was obvious and b) if you are any good you will recognize this. Stupid stuff.

Get a contract and make it really clear what you do and therefore what you do not do. The less they pay the less that you do. Music Supervisors are very well paid indeed, sometimes far more than the musicians themselves. Grrr but understandable as music choice is pivotal.

🙂

If a buyer is asking for something your description states is not included, you should be able to send an offer for custom a gig extra that covers the buyer’s needs. Pretty sure Fiverr is on your side if buyer is asking to get something for free. :thinking:

If they’re not accepting the offer and you don’t want to work for free, it’s usually better to just cancel the order if it’s not a big one than having an angry buyer.

Archived