44.1KHz vs 48KHz vs 96KHz vs 192KHz

manuelmarino

Ohhh, this is one of my favourite topics. As professional I use to deliver my works at 48KHz and 24bit. I think it’s a good professional quality, and I’m sure the customer can listen to it.

I can hear the difference between 44.1KHz and 48KHz in a good hifi system (more brilliance and defined sound). 96KHz and 192KHz are more academical stuff. I mean that it’s difficult to hear the difference with common music. BUT if you use specific synthesizers, as example, the difference is HUGE! more harmonics, more high frequencies. Definition is superb! Indeed 192KHz would be my choice but customers could not appreciate or have a machine capable to read it. So better to go back to well known 48KHz.

Human hearing has limits as to what it can audibly discern. From listening to people who are far more geared up and technically inclined than I am, it seems 24 bit 48 KHz sample rate is the go-to standard, unless you are specifically recording audio for CD’s, then it’s the standard of 44.1 KHz.

There is the issue of possible anti-aliasing with lower sample rates, and also the possible “lack” of something found in the inaudible ultrasonic range, but the downsides of much larger files, possible errors introduced from digital audio converters that are not completely up to the task for such high sample rates, and the vast majority of consumers not being audiophiles and lacking audiophile level equipment make 44.1 KHz and 48 KHz far more feasible in my completely novice opinion.

Some interesting video links related to the topic:

As for the difference in bit depth between 24 and 32, there is a definite advantage with 32 in that clipping audio becomes virtually impossible. But such a quality is debatable in need as anyone who works with audio who’s worth their salt will attenuate their levels beforehand so that clipping does not occur. But it does help in instances such as where one is recording someone whispering and then suddenly shouting!

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.6a4b6c25e321351734862807272b70b2.jpg

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.fe76411b0a1088c07f60772f423bdb6e.jpg

Human hearing has limits as to what it can audibly discern. From listening to people who are far more geared up and technically inclined than I am, it seems 24 bit 48 KHz sample rate is the go-to standard, unless you are specifically recording audio for CD’s, then it’s the standard of 44.1 KHz.

There is the issue of possible anti-aliasing with lower sample rates, and also the possible “lack” of something found in the inaudible ultrasonic range, but the downsides of much larger files, possible errors introduced from digital audio converters that are not completely up to the task for such high sample rates, and the vast majority of consumers not being audiophiles and lacking audiophile level equipment make 44.1 KHz and 48 KHz far more feasible in my completely novice opinion.

Some interesting video links related to the topic:

As for the difference in bit depth between 24 and 32, there is a definite advantage with 32 in that clipping audio becomes virtually impossible. But such a quality is debatable in need as anyone who works with audio who’s worth their salt will attenuate their levels beforehand so that clipping does not occur. But it does help in instances such as where one is recording someone whispering and then suddenly shouting!

Human hearing has limits as to what it can audibly discern. From listening to people who are far more geared up and technically inclined than I am, it seems 24 bit 48 KHz sample rate is the go-to standard

I absolutely agree, so you can imagine my surprise when I started my DSP cards (with sharc chips) at 96KHz and started playing a Moog like synth managed by the cards. The sonic difference was outstanding compared to 44KHz or 48KHz. Considering that I don’t think my ear can get above 20000Hz… how could that possible? But I hear clearly a difference in brilliance, details and presence of the sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Try all of this in a real blind A-B test and then see how well people do?

16/44 renders the usable 20Hz-20khz human hearing range perfectly. Unless the DA process is terribly broken (or your converter cost 2 cents) there is no damage done inter-sample. That is just a terrible myth made up by anti-digital people who are anti-reading about their subject they claim to be so passionate about.

While technically higher sample rates can and do deliver different results, they are not necessarily better. Tech-minded people just like to think they are so they can get excited about their gear. Fine but that is not fact. Ok so it is a fact that James feel that way he does about his 24/192 converter into his Cambridge Pre but it is not universal fact, the sort of fact NASA would use to plot a course to Mars.

Oversampling sometimes makes things sound nicer, sometimes not. Use ears.

Ultimately it all has to be 16/44 to go on CD.

And then everyone will listen using a data compression process via a $29 plastic tub with a fake Beatz logo over Bluetooth.

🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Try all of this in a real blind A-B test and then see how well people do?

16/44 renders the usable 20Hz-20khz human hearing range perfectly. Unless the DA process is terribly broken (or your converter cost 2 cents) there is no damage done inter-sample. That is just a terrible myth made up by anti-digital people who are anti-reading about their subject they claim to be so passionate about.

While technically higher sample rates can and do deliver different results, they are not necessarily better. Tech-minded people just like to think they are so they can get excited about their gear. Fine but that is not fact. Ok so it is a fact that James feel that way he does about his 24/192 converter into his Cambridge Pre but it is not universal fact, the sort of fact NASA would use to plot a course to Mars.

Oversampling sometimes makes things sound nicer, sometimes not. Use ears.

Ultimately it all has to be 16/44 to go on CD.

And then everyone will listen using a data compression process via a $29 plastic tub with a fake Beatz logo over Bluetooth.

🙂

While technically higher sample rates can and do deliver different results, they are not necessarily better. Tech-minded people just like to think they are so they can get excited about their gear. Fine but that is not fact.

ah, that’s obvious. but about my “synth” story, I swear it’s all truth. What I can say is that probably the different conversion creates a different sonic result for the synth but it’s not related to the Hz in specific. I can’t find another reason.

While technically higher sample rates can and do deliver different results, they are not necessarily better. Tech-minded people just like to think they are so they can get excited about their gear. Fine but that is not fact.

ah, that’s obvious. but about my “synth” story, I swear it’s all truth. What I can say is that probably the different conversion creates a different sonic result for the synth but it’s not related to the Hz in specific. I can’t find another reason.

Oh indeed a DSP synth will sound quite different with different rates as the harmonics (or distortion) get delivered differently. Mostly that is nicer as the signal becomes purer, but sometimes that purer signal is not as enjoyable.

🙂

• 1 month later...

The anti-aliasing as pointed out is the biggest issue for me considering the sound of different sample rates. In my opinion Anti-aliasing comes especially prominent if mixing itb and using plugins that model some specific hardware equipment. So if you have like Slate VMR or some UAD gear open on every channel of your mix and you really start to push it you can really hear the high end of your spectrum act differently on every different sample rate scenario

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I still continue to focus on 24bit 48KHz as a balance between quality and utility. Do you agree with me that is the most used format by professionals online?

There isn’t a “one size fits all” answer to this. You have to have sound reasoning and intended use in the equation. I would personally prefer to run at higher SR and bit depths, due to aliasing and other phase artifacts that can occur in filters…there is also the consideration of harmonic content…which DOES extend to audible ranges…the FAB filter videos already posted are about as close as you can get to “gospel” on these issues. As for delivery formats, 24/48 is just fine for my purposes. UNLESS it’s stems requiring further production…on the same token, no one is going to run out and buy or reject a “song” because of the sample rate the production team worked at…

Archived