Why do you do the music thing?

benedictrm

very nice post, congrats for your father! My dad was a great hifi enthusiast, mainly a classical listener, but he introduced me to classical music, and concerts at the theatre. I started as folk and country guitarist and then I studied piano, melody and harmony. Anyway the mix of different feels, from country, blues and pop into my film music compositions is clear, and many love it, others not but it’s part of the game. (I can say 95% love it) 😃 today I’m totally involved in music, I love any aspect of it, any style and I study daily to learn anything I can. There’s so much to learn.

My dad was a great hifi enthusiast

Mine was too ( after building his own pipe organ that is). He owned a Leak Valve Pre + Amp into an 8" Wharfedale Coaxial speaker housed in a cabinet chest high and wider than Winston Churchill. He then added some fancy ceramic tweeters from Germany (where he was stationed after the War). All in mono. It was warm but clear and musical.

I am glad to see/hear that you are doing well

🙂

• 5 weeks later...

My dad played the guitar and we were told not to touch it, but as soon as he left the house the guitar was “touched” 🙂 I wanted to understand how it worked and eventually got my own. I then joined a band with some friends and we played lots of gigs. We only did our own songs, which weren’t great, but we loved the process of making something from nothing.

The most enjoyable aspects of being in a band were playing something live to an audience that they’d never heard before and getting an instant collective reaction. If it was well received the feeling was euphoric.
Then there was the creation process, taking a basic idea and developing it into something better. It didn’t always work, but the process was addictive.

That was decades ago, the band days ended and we all went our own ways. But the buzz of making something from nothing was still there. Thanks the the man who invented the DAW I got to keep doing the creative thing. Not sure that this falls into the categories above. I like the challenge of making music for the pleasure it sometimes gives me 🙂

My dad played the guitar and we were told not to touch it, but as soon as he left the house the guitar was “touched” 🙂 I wanted to understand how it worked and eventually got my own. I then joined a band with some friends and we played lots of gigs. We only did our own songs, which weren’t great, but we loved the process of making something from nothing.

The most enjoyable aspects of being in a band were playing something live to an audience that they’d never heard before and getting an instant collective reaction. If it was well received the feeling was euphoric.

Then there was the creation process, taking a basic idea and developing it into something better. It didn’t always work, but the process was addictive.

That was decades ago, the band days ended and we all went our own ways. But the buzz of making something from nothing was still there. Thanks the the man who invented the DAW I got to keep doing the creative thing. Not sure that this falls into the categories above. I like the challenge of making music for the pleasure it sometimes gives me 🙂

Thanks for sharing.

As for categories, I am surprised that you didn’t see that this says mostly C with shades of B & A from the second and third paragraphs.

Do you still share any of your work? (he says whilst noting no link to YouTube)

🙂

Thanks for sharing.

As for categories, I am surprised that you didn’t see that this says mostly C with shades of B & A from the second and third paragraphs.

Do you still share any of your work? (he says whilst noting no link to YouTube)

🙂

Hi BenedictRM,

Hmm maybe C to some extent. It’s mostly for my own satisfaction though, I couldn’t care what happens to it when I die 🙂

Yeah, you can hear some of my music on Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/rockshamrover

There’s a few things on youtube under Rockshamrover too. Not all are my videos though, just my music was used.

Cheers

Vinny

That was decades ago, the band days ended and we all went our own ways.

it’s a common situation. I don’t like it, anyway, because many tell me they lost opportunities and their actual job is not their dream job etc etc… about me I am doing my dream job, so I always suggest anyone to accept a lower paid job, but a job you like, rather than stress yourself for more money but something you hate.

That was decades ago, the band days ended and we all went our own ways.

it’s a common situation. I don’t like it, anyway, because many tell me they lost opportunities and their actual job is not their dream job etc etc… about me I am doing my dream job, so I always suggest anyone to accept a lower paid job, but a job you like, rather than stress yourself for more money but something you hate.

This is true 🙂 I actually can only think of a handful of bands that didn’t end up going their separate ways. I I look back to those days with a sense of gratitude. It was genuinely a wonderful experience. It shaped my life 🙂 I made life long friends and even met my wife at one of the gigs 🙂 It’s all in the movie 🙂

That’s good advice about the job too. As I always say, money won’t make you happy, but it gives you a better class of misery 🙂

Cheers

Vinny

• 3 months later...

My dad was a great hifi enthusiast

Mine was too ( after building his own pipe organ that is). He owned a Leak Valve Pre + Amp into an 8" Wharfedale Coaxial speaker housed in a cabinet chest high and wider than Winston Churchill. He then added some fancy ceramic tweeters from Germany (where he was stationed after the War). All in mono. It was warm but clear and musical.

I am glad to see/hear that you are doing well

🙂

after building his own pipe organ that is

this is fantastic, my dad had an organ at home, it was the first thing bringing me music when I was a kid. My dad playing the organ, it was huge, probably 88 keys and with a big speaker under the two keyboards.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where it is now. I moved so many times. Probably given as gift to a friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived