Fraud Buyer trap

nasiruddin0

There are many fraudulent buyers on Fiverr which is very difficult for new sellers to understand … How to identify these fraudulent buyers, seek expert advice. I fell into the trap of a fraudulent buyer a few days ago and I had to cancel that order. I want ideas on how to overcome this problem in the future.

Hello Mate,

I think the most honest answer to this is you can never fully know if a buyer is and if they are good enough you will never know until it is too late. That being said there are a few red flags you can look out for to help with your decision making.

1. Buyers asking to speak outside of the platform (against TOS never do this) they also send images to bypass the detection system, another suspicious tactic.
  2. Asking very odd questions that do not have any relevance to your gig or services.
  3. Location and language, if the person is based in the USA for example but has very poor English, their location might not be legit (using a VPN to show they are not from a poor region (but again this is not 100% red flag as the person could just not be native speaking.
  4. Offering lucrative incentivise that basically seems the buyer not paying anything in return for % of revenue etc. Avoid this at all costs, its pretty impossible to even accept and i believe it would be breaking TOS.
  5. Customers sending proof of their wealth (had this one before) and is related to point 4, if anyone sends you a video or screenshot of their “bank account balance” you can guarantee its not legit.
  6. Always handle strange requests with caution until you can validate the authenticity.

These are just pointers and at the end of the day the best way is to talk with your customers and you can find out pretty quickly their intentions. A great quote, “if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is”.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Andrew

Hello Mate,

I think the most honest answer to this is you can never fully know if a buyer is and if they are good enough you will never know until it is too late. That being said there are a few red flags you can look out for to help with your decision making.

1. Buyers asking to speak outside of the platform (against TOS never do this) they also send images to bypass the detection system, another suspicious tactic.
  2. Asking very odd questions that do not have any relevance to your gig or services.
  3. Location and language, if the person is based in the USA for example but has very poor English, their location might not be legit (using a VPN to show they are not from a poor region (but again this is not 100% red flag as the person could just not be native speaking.
  4. Offering lucrative incentivise that basically seems the buyer not paying anything in return for % of revenue etc. Avoid this at all costs, its pretty impossible to even accept and i believe it would be breaking TOS.
  5. Customers sending proof of their wealth (had this one before) and is related to point 4, if anyone sends you a video or screenshot of their “bank account balance” you can guarantee its not legit.
  6. Always handle strange requests with caution until you can validate the authenticity.

These are just pointers and at the end of the day the best way is to talk with your customers and you can find out pretty quickly their intentions. A great quote, “if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is”.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thanks, this will help

Hello Mate,

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi andrewcarpen756,

Thank you so much for sharing this important information. I hope everyone needs to know. The number of spammers in Fiverr is already very high. They usually target new sellers. A negative review or an order cancellation is very scary for a seller. The horror of which I can feel in my bones. I hope everyone will be careful from the spammer. And also had a great day!

Thank You

I encourage you to read the hundreds of posts here explaining how to avoid fraud.

Fraud usually isn’t hard to identify. The problem is that a lot of sellers are naive and will do anything for a sale.

Hi humanissocial,

In fact, I was not aware of this at first. When I realized later, I had nothing more to do. He would not reply to me when I wanted to contact my buyer. But he was always online. He would tell me to increase time again and again but he would not tell me where he needed modification. Then I ask him to cancel the order mutually. As a result, my gig went down. The order is not coming. But I believe that no matter what the problem, I will be able to move forward with your sincere cooperation and love.

Thank you so much. Have a Great Day!

Okay, so you have like…6 gigs and one has 11 reviews (which is awesome). Close out the other gigs for a moment and focus on that one. Build up some more reviews on that one and just go through a cancel streak if needed. Then, raise your prices. There really is no way to prevent it, until you raise your prices. When I was first selling on here, I noticed that people would ask for multiple revisions and cancel anyway. Or they would cancel right after I delivered the work.

Why not try focusing on getting sales by bringing traffic to your gig. Reddit would love your service and you would receive plenty of sales from them. By then, the traction will build up and Fiverr rank/clicks will raise too. That way, you have enough ‘buying’ customers and less ‘scamming’ customers and can cancel orders with more confidence.

Hi humanissocial,

In fact, I was not aware of this at first. When I realized later, I had nothing more to do. He would not reply to me when I wanted to contact my buyer. But he was always online. He would tell me to increase time again and again but he would not tell me where he needed modification. Then I ask him to cancel the order mutually. As a result, my gig went down. The order is not coming. But I believe that no matter what the problem, I will be able to move forward with your sincere cooperation and love.

Thank you so much. Have a Great Day!

He would tell me to increase time again and again but he would not tell me where he needed modification. Then I ask him to cancel the order mutually.

I don’t see a fraud here :thinking: you proposed to cancel an order, not your client. As I understand he was just asking for a bit more time to review your delivery?

Well if so then it’s on you on how you managed this situation.

He would tell me to increase time again and again but he would not tell me where he needed modification. Then I ask him to cancel the order mutually.

I don’t see a fraud here :thinking: you proposed to cancel an order, not your client. As I understand he was just asking for a bit more time to review your delivery?

Well if so then it’s on you on how you managed this situation.

Ma’am, he was a cheater. The time did not match with his country. He didn’t do any new project with anyone. Moreover, if I texted him, he would never reply. There were so many inconsistencies. What I had to do then.

There are many fraudulent buyers on Fiverr which is very difficult for new sellers to understand … How to identify these fraudulent buyers, seek expert advice. I fell into the trap of a fraudulent buyer a few days ago and I had to cancel that order. I want ideas on how to overcome this problem in the future.

How to identify these fraudulent buyers, seek expert advice.

So many newbies are being taken advantage of here on Fiverr by a small minority of predatory “buyers”. This is my take on how to protect yourself, thereby reducing the chances of a cancellation or negative review.
Special shout out to @melissaharlowvo for the buyer requirements section. Enjoy!

Okay, so you have like…6 gigs and one has 11 reviews (which is awesome). Close out the other gigs for a moment and focus on that one. Build up some more reviews on that one and just go through a cancel streak if needed. Then, raise your prices. There really is no way to prevent it, until you raise your prices. When I was first selling on here, I noticed that people would ask for multiple revisions and cancel anyway. Or they would cancel right after I delivered the work.

Why not try focusing on getting sales by bringing traffic to your gig. Reddit would love your service and you would receive plenty of sales from them. By then, the traction will build up and Fiverr rank/clicks will raise too. That way, you have enough ‘buying’ customers and less ‘scamming’ customers and can cancel orders with more confidence.

Hi, howtodoseo,

Yes, you are right. I want to increase the price of the gig but But I have heard that editing a gig loses the rank. I can’t edit for fear of this. I’m sharing gigs on several social media. Thank you so much for giving me the idea of ​​Reddit. I started sharing on Reddit from today.

Hi, howtodoseo,

Yes, you are right. I want to increase the price of the gig but But I have heard that editing a gig loses the rank. I can’t edit for fear of this. I’m sharing gigs on several social media. Thank you so much for giving me the idea of ​​Reddit. I started sharing on Reddit from today.

I lost my rank because I didn’t edit my gig. My gig was on the front page for years. One day, I looked at me not being on the first page and freaked out. Had to make everything by the next day - updated my tags and everything. I spent about 5 hours improving my gig. The gig was up again in 3 hours. Edit your gig. Put the work in and couple it with other streams of traffic. Bring traffic to your gig, share your gig, put it on Instagram, understand Ads, understand SEO and backlinks, direct and share it all over multiple and untapped platforms. All of this will make you succeed. <3 😇

• 4 months later...

Ma’am, he was a cheater. The time did not match with his country. He didn’t do any new project with anyone. Moreover, if I texted him, he would never reply. There were so many inconsistencies. What I had to do then.

got same experience yesterday he placed order without requirement not even responding to chat he took him three days to request for revision which i asked him a simple question to tell me actually the reason he think the service is poor never respond but only saying service is poor i think when service is poor you explained to the seller but he refuse to explain to me the actual reason i think he is here to steal order for a gig and request for cancellation fiverr need to look into that because that is a fraud.

Archived