Why is it that I cant leave feedback on a order that I cancelled?

jonmer

Hey there Forum,

I was bummed by the fact that I couldn’t leave a review after I was forced to cancel two orders, from two different sellers. I requested for them to do product descriptions to which they both agreed, however my expierience with these sellers was garbage. The first seller promised me that the gig would be finnished within 3 days and gave me updates where he stated that there has been progress and I have nothing to worry about, another day passes and he told me that he is almost finished and that I will recieve my word file by the next day. I heard nothing from him that day, radio silence. The day after the deadline I woke up to message saying that he is sorry, but he wont be able to deliver the work he promised.

The second seller in question turned everything in on time, however there was a BIG ISSUE. The work was 100% plagiarised. She took product descriptions straight from amazon without bothering to change a single thing and turned the work in as her own. Once again this was blamed on a partner and she told be that she was busy preparing for her wedding.

How is this acceptable? And why can’t I warn other people about potential fraud and potential lawsuits because the work was plagiarised? This could’ve been prevented if there was actually an honest review system in place. Now it seems that you can only leave a review if you were pleased by the results.

Sure I got my money back, but my time was wasted. I made it clear to the seller that it was a time sensitive job and what would have happened if I hadnt noticed the? What if I blindly trusted the sellers because of the good reviews? If this happened to me I can only imagine how many other people have fallen victim to this.

I want to call them out for their unproffesional and illegal behaviour. This isnt fair to anybody. Can I name them on this forum and provide evidence?

• Like 30
  • Up 1

Sellers are penalized by Fiverr, and they can get demoted if they don’t keep high stats. So they are penalized anyway.

As for reviewing something you didn’t pay for in the end, isn’t that unethical? You have the right to review if you actually paid for a service. But it sounds fair to me that people who receive a refund shouldn’t be able to write a review. This way competitors could easily manipulate the system, buy a gig and then refund it just to share a bad review. So… you can see how this can go wrong.

• Like 29
  • Up 2

Because you had your money back, simple as that.

If you already accepted the order and leave a 1 star review and requested a cancelation from Customer Support, sellers are left with a 1 star review of an order they didn’t get paid for, and sellers also lose their time.

Fiverr Customer Support is buyer as much buyer friendly as anyone can hope for and the fact that you want to hurt sellers even though you got refunded seems cruel to me.

• Like 23
  • Up 2

Sellers are penalized by Fiverr, and they can get demoted if they don’t keep high stats. So they are penalized anyway.

As for reviewing something you didn’t pay for in the end, isn’t that unethical? You have the right to review if you actually paid for a service. But it sounds fair to me that people who receive a refund shouldn’t be able to write a review. This way competitors could easily manipulate the system, buy a gig and then refund it just to share a bad review. So… you can see how this can go wrong.

I dont think that its unethical. I order a service, the seller couldnt do it and therefore deserves a negative rating. I should review the seller based on their performance.

I did end up buying their service and I expected it to be delivered, but it wasnt. They both wasted my time and I lost money because of it. Isnt it more unethical to plagiarize? This is all valid feedback and buyers deserve to know.

Fiverrs review system is rigged, people who are unhappy with the service cant leave reviews meaning that the seller can buy their own service and post good reviews.

Either way I bought the service and whether or not I got my money back, if it was the sellers fault I should be able to leave a negative review. I’ve noticed one thing and almost no seller has a review below 3 stars. The seller who plagiarised my content had a 4.9 rating and will continue to plagiarize and people will fall victim because she included a fake “plagiarism check”.

Because of this more than 1 week of my time was wasted and I had a strict deadline to follow. And who is going to compensate me for that. No one. So the least I could do is leave a negative review right?

• Like 20
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2

Because you had your money back, simple as that.

If you already accepted the order and leave a 1 star review and requested a cancelation from Customer Support, sellers are left with a 1 star review of an order they didn’t get paid for, and sellers also lose their time.

Fiverr Customer Support is buyer as much buyer friendly as anyone can hope for and the fact that you want to hurt sellers even though you got refunded seems cruel to me.

Sure I get that. But either way, the pros of being able to leave a negative review outweigh the cons. Because of my expierience on here I no longer have confidence in fiverr. I surely didnt expect some one with a 5 star rating to do something like this.

If you ask me fiverr is a marketplace and should protect their buyers. The same way if I were to go to an ad agency, and they screwed me over I would be able to leave a negative review about them even though I was refunded. Its as simple as that. If the seller does good he/she deserves a good review and if they perform badly they sure as h*ll deserve a bad one.

Imagine this senario for instance, the seller had a good reputation and decided to sell her account or that she had 10 gigs performing very well and now decided to nah screw this, its way easier to plagiarize and thats how Im going to do my job. The next 20 people will buy her service expecting good results only, because they had faith in fiverrs system. But now they risk getting sued if they use “her” work. Sure in some cases it could be used for manipulation, however in the overwhelming majority of cases it would actually serve its purpose. Its a win for the consumer.

• Like 19
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

I dont think that its unethical. I order a service, the seller couldnt do it and therefore deserves a negative rating. I should review the seller based on their performance.

I did end up buying their service and I expected it to be delivered, but it wasnt. They both wasted my time and I lost money because of it. Isnt it more unethical to plagiarize? This is all valid feedback and buyers deserve to know.

Fiverrs review system is rigged, people who are unhappy with the service cant leave reviews meaning that the seller can buy their own service and post good reviews.

Either way I bought the service and whether or not I got my money back, if it was the sellers fault I should be able to leave a negative review. I’ve noticed one thing and almost no seller has a review below 3 stars. The seller who plagiarised my content had a 4.9 rating and will continue to plagiarize and people will fall victim because she included a fake “plagiarism check”.

Because of this more than 1 week of my time was wasted and I had a strict deadline to follow. And who is going to compensate me for that. No one. So the least I could do is leave a negative review right?

Sellers can’t do that, Fiverr catches on to them and a lot of people were banned for this. So they are taking action.

It’s sad to see that you lost a week, but as I said above, sellers are penalized for canceling any order. So it will mess up his/her stats, and they didn’t get paid anything for their work. If you’re Fiverr, you have to see things from both sides. The seller already got penalized and lost $$ too, where you just lost time, since you got your money back. So as far as I can see, the seller got it worse already. And you want to penalize the seller even more? That feels malicious, not gonna lie.

As I said above already, I don’t believe it’s ok to write a review for something that you never paid for. If you chose to accept the delivery and review the work, absolutely, because you paid for it. But you had a choice, get the refund or share your opinion after accepting the order. There’s no middleground here, and as a seller myself, I find it fair. If people that canceled orders would be able to write reviews, that would encourage all competitors to place bad reviews on a gig and burry it. That’s a huge problem to have if I were Fiverr.

So, while the system is not perfect, it works, and I do believe it’s fair. You had the option to accept the order and share your opinion because you paid for it. When you wanted your $$ back, you forfeited your right to share your opinion. Which is fair, you can’t have both things and also have the seller penalized for cancellations and not get paid.

• Like 22
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

I already said it multiple times on this forum in threads like this, but this is just a horrible idea. From your perspective I understand where you come from. There are scammers, there are resellers, there are just bad services on fiverr. I do know that, I have experienced that as I am a seller and buyer on this platform. But now comes my perspective - someone who is working full time for years as a top rated seller on fiverr:

Buyers can be creepy and absolute disgusting lunatics. The amount of times I have been harassed, threatened, insulted or damaged is too high and I’ve learned to live with it. But the only thing that kept my service protected from being destroyed by some mad “clients” is that they can not leave a review after I cancel their order. And I’m not talking about that I have wasted someones time, that I have delivered a low-quality product or that I lied. I talk about ““clients”” who ignore your whole gig and description, do not contact you upfront to discuss a project, then purchase the cheapest possible package to demand a service you’re not even providing. That’s what happens to me a lot. Like going into a bike store asking for the new Mercedes. And when I was cancelling their orders, I got threats like “FIVERR ACCEPTED TO LET ME REVIEW YOUR GIG! I WILL DESTROY YOU FOR NOT WORKING ON MY PROJECT”. And I’m like “Hey, sorry but you do want a website designed. I am creating 3D music videos…” - “YOU WILL SEE, WE JUST BEGUN!!!” (And that is an actual quote).

So, after reading this - you still do have the feeling that someone like this should be able to review me and destroy the service and income I build for the last couple of years?

As I said - I understand where you come from but it is a horrible idea for a lot of great freelancers on this platform. The client is not always right.

• Like 24
  • Up 2

Sure I get that. But either way, the pros of being able to leave a negative review outweigh the cons. Because of my expierience on here I no longer have confidence in fiverr. I surely didnt expect some one with a 5 star rating to do something like this.

If you ask me fiverr is a marketplace and should protect their buyers. The same way if I were to go to an ad agency, and they screwed me over I would be able to leave a negative review about them even though I was refunded. Its as simple as that. If the seller does good he/she deserves a good review and if they perform badly they sure as h*ll deserve a bad one.

Imagine this senario for instance, the seller had a good reputation and decided to sell her account or that she had 10 gigs performing very well and now decided to nah screw this, its way easier to plagiarize and thats how Im going to do my job. The next 20 people will buy her service expecting good results only, because they had faith in fiverrs system. But now they risk getting sued if they use “her” work. Sure in some cases it could be used for manipulation, however in the overwhelming majority of cases it would actually serve its purpose. Its a win for the consumer.

If you ask me fiverr is a marketplace and should protect their buyers.

They protected you, they gave you your money back. And you can feel free to choose another seller.

If the seller does good he/she deserves a good review and if they perform badly they sure as h*ll deserve a bad one.

Then accept the order, pay for the gig basically and share whatever opinion you have.

• Like 21
  • Up 3

I already said it multiple times on this forum in threads like this, but this is just a horrible idea. From your perspective I understand where you come from. There are scammers, there are resellers, there are just bad services on fiverr. I do know that, I have experienced that as I am a seller and buyer on this platform. But now comes my perspective - someone who is working full time for years as a top rated seller on fiverr:

Buyers can be creepy and absolute disgusting lunatics. The amount of times I have been harassed, threatened, insulted or damaged is too high and I’ve learned to live with it. But the only thing that kept my service protected from being destroyed by some mad “clients” is that they can not leave a review after I cancel their order. And I’m not talking about that I have wasted someones time, that I have delivered a low-quality product or that I lied. I talk about ““clients”” who ignore your whole gig and description, do not contact you upfront to discuss a project, then purchase the cheapest possible package to demand a service you’re not even providing. That’s what happens to me a lot. Like going into a bike store asking for the new Mercedes. And when I was cancelling their orders, I got threats like “FIVERR ACCEPTED TO LET ME REVIEW YOUR GIG! I WILL DESTROY YOU FOR NOT WORKING ON MY PROJECT”. And I’m like “Hey, sorry but you do want a website designed. I am creating 3D music videos…” - “YOU WILL SEE, WE JUST BEGUN!!!” (And that is an actual quote).

So, after reading this - you still do have the feeling that someone like this should be able to review me and destroy the service and income I build for the last couple of years?

As I said - I understand where you come from but it is a horrible idea for a lot of great freelancers on this platform. The client is not always right.

And when I was cancelling their orders, I got threats like “FIVERR ACCEPTED TO LET ME REVIEW YOUR GIG! I WILL DESTROY YOU FOR NOT WORKING ON MY PROJECT”.

I had someone that placed multiple smaller orders over 3 years, totaling $250 or $300, around those lines. They came to me saying that their website (which I got on the first page of Google by the way, with the content I wrote) wasn’t indexed on Google anymore due to some shenanigans they did. And they blamed me for that, they threatened me to destroy my account, follow me everywhere online and post bad reviews and so on.

So even if they used my content and made money from it for 3 years, I reached to Fiverr and they said for us to find a solution. In the end, I refunded him $250 and a year after, he comes to me for more content like nothing happened. Of course I blocked him, all he did was a ploy to get his $$ back and I was extremely harassed and threatened. So… people believe that leaving feedback on a canceled order is a good thin? NO IT’S NOT. It just allows persons like the one above to harass the seller even more. The seller was not paid at all, he didn’t receive any compensation for the work, and a cancellation penalizes him too.

• Like 18
  • Up 2

Sure in some cases it could be used for manipulation,

So you don’t care if a person’s livelihood gets destroyed, as long as you have your way to damage someone else’s reputation without even paying for their service in the end (you’re getting your money back). The system is fair. If you want to share your opinion about the experience, you need to pay for it. I find it very fair.

• Like 20
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Sure in some cases it could be used for manipulation,

So you don’t care if a person’s livelihood gets destroyed, as long as you have your way to damage someone else’s reputation without even paying for their service in the end (you’re getting your money back). The system is fair. If you want to share your opinion about the experience, you need to pay for it. I find it very fair.

It reminds me of google or app store reviews from people who rate a service or app with 1* star because it costs money. Saying that if it would be free, they’ll change their review to 5*. I don’t understand how people think they should be allowed to rate something if they got their money back or didn’t even pay for it. That’s just wrong. As I said - I do understand where OP comes from and I know there are a lot of scammy sellers on fiverr. But as long as you get your money back, you should not be allowed to review a service due to whatever reason as this would have a huge negative impact on all great, professional and honest sellers on fiverr, who then have to take a hit from some lunatics. It’s the internet. There are not only sane and nice people and some of them really think they buy YOU with a couple of dollars. The attitude some people on this platform have is beyond my understanding.

• Like 18
  • Up 3

It reminds me of google or app store reviews from people who rate a service or app with 1* star because it costs money. Saying that if it would be free, they’ll change their review to 5*. I don’t understand how people think they should be allowed to rate something if they got their money back or didn’t even pay for it. That’s just wrong. As I said - I do understand where OP comes from and I know there are a lot of scammy sellers on fiverr. But as long as you get your money back, you should not be allowed to review a service due to whatever reason as this would have a huge negative impact on all great, professional and honest sellers on fiverr, who then have to take a hit from some lunatics. It’s the internet. There are not only sane and nice people and some of them really think they buy YOU with a couple of dollars. The attitude some people on this platform have is beyond my understanding.

But as long as you get your money back, you should not be allowed to review a service due to whatever reason as this would have a huge negative impact on all great, professional and honest sellers on fiverr, who then have to take a hit from some lunatics

The current system is fair. You can still share your opinion, as long as you pay for the order. It’s not like buyers are not allowed to do that, but getting a refund, keeping the delivered content, having the seller penalized for cancellation and also sharing a bad review, that seems to bring an overpowered buyer and a seller without any protection. If someone paid for the content, it seems more than fair to share their opinion. But if you don’t pay, why have the opportunity to do so?

• Like 17
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic but I do agree that you should be able to review if a contract has to be cancelled. The system could be easily fixed so that both sides are protected. When cancelling a project there should be a REASON. If the reason is that the freelancer didn’t follow through or plagiarized or kept delaying, etc. then yes you should be able to leave a review stating so. 

I just had to agree to cancel the contract because my freelancer extended over and over a three day project. A three day project turned into two weeks if I allowed the last extension. There was no guarantee that that last extension wouldn’t turn into five more so I should be able to leave feedback that this person did not meet deadlines and that we had to cancel due to that.

I noticed the same thing as the OP that people have amazing reviews and that is the reason because if you cancel or the freelancer cancels then there’s nothing that can be done. And there is no way to earn any other potential client for them.

I’ve decided not to use Fiverr for this reason since the reviews are essentially rigged in the freelancers favor. No other service does this.

• Like 18
  • Up 3

On 11/22/2020 at 8:02 PM, jonmer said:

Hey there Forum,

I was bummed by the fact that I couldn’t leave a review after I was forced to cancel two orders, from two different sellers. I requested for them to do product descriptions to which they both agreed, however my expierience with these sellers was garbage. The first seller promised me that the gig would be finnished within 3 days and gave me updates where he stated that there has been progress and I have nothing to worry about, another day passes and he told me that he is almost finished and that I will recieve my word file by the next day. I heard nothing from him that day, radio silence. The day after the deadline I woke up to message saying that he is sorry, but he wont be able to deliver the work he promised.

The second seller in question turned everything in on time, however there was a BIG ISSUE. The work was 100% plagiarised. She took product descriptions straight from amazon without bothering to change a single thing and turned the work in as her own. Once again this was blamed on a partner and she told be that she was busy preparing for her wedding.

How is this acceptable? And why can’t I warn other people about potential fraud and potential lawsuits because the work was plagiarised? This could’ve been prevented if there was actually an honest review system in place. Now it seems that you can only leave a review if you were pleased by the results.

Sure I got my money back, but my time was wasted. I made it clear to the seller that it was a time sensitive job and what would have happened if I hadnt noticed the? What if I blindly trusted the sellers because of the good reviews? If this happened to me I can only imagine how many other people have fallen victim to this.

I want to call them out for their unproffesional and illegal behaviour. This isnt fair to anybody. Can I name them on this forum and provide evidence?

I think order cancellation is better than bad review🙌

• Like 19
  • Confused 1
  • Up 2

16 hours ago, calums_mom said:

A three day project turned into two weeks if I allowed the last extension. There was no guarantee that that last extension wouldn’t turn into five more so I should be able to leave feedback

Though fiverr does have this covered.
You don’t have to agree for time extensions that your seller is sending you. In 24 hours after the deadline the order will go into a “late stage”, after 48 hours order will become “very late” and you will automatically get an option to cancel the order from your side and when you do that the automatic 1 star review will appear on his profile reading like “Cancelled the order! Seller failed to deliver on time!” 

• Like 22
  • Up 1

On 11/22/2020 at 2:02 PM, jonmer said:

The work was 100% plagiarised. 

How is this acceptable?

It is not. You can contact Fiverr Support. Make sure to document everything. I once bought a video intro, and found out years later that it was stolen when my wife, who used the intro, got a copyright strike. Fiverr appreciated my report. I'm not sure if the seller lost his/her account or not, as I didn't bother following up on it, but this is clearly unacceptable and needs to be reported. The order was refunded to me by Fiverr. 

In your case, the order was cancelled. Cancellations do hurt us sellers, so there's some "comfort" in knowing that their completion rate will have gone down, and that can hurt future business oppurtunities, at least for a while. 

In regards to reviewing the orders: you've got your money back. The buyer got a cancellation on their stats. Fiverr works by promoting the best buyers, so when something like this happens, they do get penalized, like others have pointed out before me. 

You might think a bad review would be useful for other buyers in the future, but the fact is that if a seller keeps doing what they did here, they will just disappear from the search results one day, not to be heard from again (except on the forum, where they will complain about orders going down). 

You got your money back. The sellers got a slap on the wrist anyway. 

On 11/23/2020 at 9:50 AM, jonmer said:

If you ask me fiverr is a marketplace and should protect their buyers. 

They do. At the cost of their freelancers, too. Did you know buyers can make an order, complete it, and then contact customer support and get it cancelled, even if they accepted the delivery in the first place? Or that buyers can just disappear with no consequense, in the middle of an order, leaving us hanging with the threat of late orders? Did you know that, if my house burnt down today, and I ended up delivering an order 20 minutes too late due to that fire, it would hurt my account and nobody would care? 

Fiverr does protect its buyers by the very nature of how it works: if your stats drop too much, you're off the map. There are tons of mechanisms in place to keep buyers on their toes about quality, speed and communication (as it should be!). 

In this case, Fiverr protected you. They gave you your money back when you weren't happy. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 18
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

• 2 months later...

I also think I should be able to leave a negative review if I need to cancel because seller doe not deliver, the provided did not adhere to the deadline 2 days later still no edited resume, than told me he had no internet (yet I could see he was online) not to mention that a resume can be downloaded via mobile data easily. The whole transaction with seller was bad yet I cant provide that feedback.

• Like 16
  • Up 3

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread but still want to chime in. I also find it crazy that I can't leave an honest review. I had to cancel an order after the person literally was late and stopped responding to me for days...I looked at their reviews and by fiver not allowing people to make real reviews over their experiences it does not allow clients to make informed decisions on creatives...and I'm a creative myself...

Especially as I've seen more people having similar problems, this only protects fiverr's reputation for having "great creatives" and does not actually address the sometimes problematic people on here...

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

I also want to chime in that I am so disappointed to not have been able to leave an honest review after a top rated seller on fiverr strung me out for a week without delivering a single word of the email content he was supposed to write and then he ghosted me. He remains a top rated seller on fiverr and that is beyond misleading. I should be able to warn others that he cannot be trusted. And I am also losing my trust in fiverr because they rated him as a top seller but he a con. 

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

I think everyone is missing the fact that all of the points discussed here are all valid and no one wants for the part who is right to become affected because of a bad review or cancellation or delivery not being made or quality/copied issues. You should be able to leave a bad comment or review if you happen to find someone that doesn't deliver, delays the project constantly, or delivers a product that has nothing to do with what you both discussed or its plagiarised. Also sellers should be protected from crazy buyers that just want to get a refund/ or harass the seller. Unfortunately I bought a gig from a girl called lizafedorenko, I explained in great detail what I wanted from her before purchasing the gig, she accepted and told me to buy it so i could fill the requirements, she had a 7 days delivery time for the gig that became months (which i told her by the way was no problem and I wanted her to take all the time she needed for her creative process). Whenever she delivered things they were nothing as the product she showcases as the highlight project for the gig in the thumbnail, there was no connection or consistency and the quality of the work was lacklustre. I expected that in further deliveries the quality would improve and that those were just sketches, but no it was her final product. After comparing the job she showcases for the gig thumbnail, highlighting the differences in depth, development and quality overall she cancelled the gig. After three months, i was left with no design and lost all of the time, even though i told her that i had no problem if she needed all the time of the world to finish a more developed concept. Now i notice that her only jobs for the gig that are professional level products are the ones she first showcases in the thumbnail, but when you see the designs delivered and commented by people, they look like things made out of canva. She is now a Pro level seller and I can´t even comment on these discrepancies in product quality. This is not the first seller I´ve seen that the product showcased for the thumbnail is incredible and brings the attention out from all of the other gigs around when you see it in the gallery, but then when you see the actual delivered products, they are nothing like what they have showcased. I also feel that for some people as her case, they can deliver a very simple product (even when the one showcased is incredible in quality), but the buyer will be okey just with that product since maybe the already don´t have the expertise in the design are to form a critical opinion and the result works for them anyway, so they don´t get affected for cancelled products as much. Also when you have been commenting back and forth with little to no change in the design, it leaves you with a sensation of learned helplessness because you don´t want to bother the designer, so you just take it as it comes after a couple of revisions of seeing that it won´t get any better. 

There should be ways of protecting buyers and sellers in all situations discussed, this isn´t a matter of ¨do you want me to be affected by crazy buyers?¨ or ¨do you want people not to know what happened with this seller¨ and there is only one option. This is a matter of managing all of the grey areas in between, and this is something that has to be managed by fiverr. I don´t know how many people had similar experiences as me with this seller, but certainly if they would have been allowed to do a review, I would have read it and made a better informed decision when selecting the designer.   

• Like 5