Gear talk: what's your favorite microphone?

tro2789

I echo the earlier posts regarding the SM7B as the mic of choice. In fact, I ended up purchasing the "cousin", Shure MV7 mic. It pretty much has the same quality of the SM7B, but the mic is a bit more versatile as it has XLR and USB interfaces. I love using this mic as my, "on the road" option that fits in my baggage. That way, in case I get an order during a vacation trip. I can record a voice over directly into my MacBook Pro via USB. So these two mics are my choice. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 8:18 AM, yourimagingguy said:

Shure SM7B. I’ve been in radio for 30 years, and this mic seems to be the most on point out of any I’ve ever used. It’s rich and it doesn’t pick up a lot of ambient noise. I love it.

That's good to know. I'm actually looking at buying this mic. My RODE NT1A makes me sound rather bright so I'm looking for something a little warmer.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, violetbuttercup said:

That's good to know. I'm actually looking at buying this mic. My RODE NT1A makes me sound rather bright so I'm looking for something a little warmer.

The SM7b is warm and beautiful. Only thing is that it needs extra gain, so lots of folks put a Cloud Lifter between the mic and the preamp to really make this mic sparkle. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CL1Cloud--cloud-microphones-cl-1-cloudlifter-1-channel-mic-activator

• Like 5

I use an SM7b or an AKG C414 (most of the time - I have a lot of mics.) But if I have a job to do I could probably wire up a speaker to a mic input and use that. It's not always about the tools, and everyone's voice and jobs are different. 

My signal path is usually very simple - Voice/pop screen/mic/shortest cable I can get away with/quality mic pre (mostly Focusrite ISA828 channels 5-8.) I run that into Pro Tools and run a pretty straightforward signal chain. Subtractive EQ, De-Esser, Compressor, and then a second EQ for taste. I may or may not do parallel compression depending on the job.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh finally some proper gear talk here on Fiverr forums 😄

We have quite limited microphone closet but at the moment we have

- a pair of Audio Technica AT4050 LDC's. Absolutely love these. Really robust mic and those can take quite a lot of SPL in. perfect for drum overheads or to an acoustic guitar
-an old U87. I really don't find myself using this one that often any more. There is something about the high end that really makes this stand out for some singers and speakers but with the other it sounds really nasty and way too pronounced on certain high frequencies. 
- AT 4047. really good mic. Goes well with the 4050's
-SM7b which has actually started to be maybe my favourite for Vocal/speak work. It is really really good on almost any vocals or speaker. Really gets the job done 

• Like 4