Wow the seller has an attitude!

mikefrost

Im an elearning developer and I often use video presenters in my work.
I reached out to a person today and asked if he used a teleprompter that sits in front of the lens - I have 2 large jobs requiring an Australian accent.

The response I got was:
“Im rather busy right at the moment mate - is this in regards to a job you’d like presented or for other purposes”

I don’t know what other purpose I may be contacting a seller for so I said…
"I use presenters in my elearning but since you’re so busy I wont interrupt your day any further:

I then received this unprofessional response…
“Great, I hope you don’t waste other sellers time with your useless questions then. Good luck in your search”

Im an elearning developer and I often use video presenters in my work.

I reached out to a person today and asked if he used a teleprompter that sits in front of the lens - I have 2 large jobs requiring an Australian accent.

The response I got was:

“Im rather busy right at the moment mate - is this in regards to a job you’d like presented or for other purposes”

I don’t know what other purpose I may be contacting a seller for so I said…

"I use presenters in my elearning but since you’re so busy I wont interrupt your day any further:

I then received this unprofessional response…

“Great, I hope you don’t waste other sellers time with your useless questions then. Good luck in your search”

I don’t know what other purpose I may be contacting a seller for

Oh, you wouldn’t believe the amount of nonsense some sellers get in their inbox.

Sorry this happened to you. Was the only thing you asked if they used a teleprompter? Without mentioning that you have 2 large jobs that require an Australian accent?

If you don’t provide enough details, you actually are wasting a seller’s time.

Most of the messages I get from buyers are nonsense. they beat around the bush without getting to the point. I think there shouldn’t be any problem in explaining details in your first message like “I need this and this done in this much time, is this something you would be willing to do”

but most buyers ask me nonsense questions before telling me what they need, and when they do tell me what they need, if it’s a service i don’t provide, i do get pissed off, quite naturally.

Like in your case, that’s like asking me (a developer) if i have a Dell computer or a MAC. doesn’t matter dude, just tell me what you want done and i’ll tell you if i can do it or not.

funny seeing buyers complain here after the shit they put us sellers through.

My question is because some sellers don’t use a teleprompter but instead use a phone next to the camera. This means you can see the presenters eyeline constantly moving off camera. I think my rating and number of purchases should at least give sellers some confidence in my intention.
It was a very simple question and I guess I’m not used to dealing with people like that. Perhaps I’m looking in the wrong place, who knows

I don’t know what other purpose I may be contacting a seller for

Oh, you wouldn’t believe the amount of nonsense some sellers get in their inbox.

Sorry this happened to you. Was the only thing you asked if they used a teleprompter? Without mentioning that you have 2 large jobs that require an Australian accent?

I didn’t mention the jobs to the seller. We didn’t get very far and the first response put me off.

Most of the messages I get from buyers are nonsense. they beat around the bush without getting to the point. I think there shouldn’t be any problem in explaining details in your first message like “I need this and this done in this much time, is this something you would be willing to do”

but most buyers ask me nonsense questions before telling me what they need, and when they do tell me what they need, if it’s a service i don’t provide, i do get pissed off, quite naturally.

Like in your case, that’s like asking me (a developer) if i have a Dell computer or a MAC. doesn’t matter dude, just tell me what you want done and i’ll tell you if i can do it or not.

I thought it was a yes no question I asked which would have been simple to answer

My question is because some sellers don’t use a teleprompter but instead use a phone next to the camera. This means you can see the presenters eyeline constantly moving off camera. I think my rating and number of purchases should at least give sellers some confidence in my intention.

It was a very simple question and I guess I’m not used to dealing with people like that. Perhaps I’m looking in the wrong place, who knows

The seller’s last response was rude, you most definitely definitely dodged a bullet there.

However, as a seller who gets dozens of tire-kicking messages and “how do you do that” questions a day, I must say that contacting a seller with just a question about their workflow or tools, will make it seem like you are just there to ask that one thing.

Out of context it looks weird and if I am busy and someone messages me to ask whether I use a piece of software or tool, I won’t be rude, however, I won’t feel like it’s a qualified lead.

I think it would benefit you greatly if you send a detailed brief/message when contacting a seller. You don’t need to mention how many projects you have, or how big they are.

But if I am able to find out whether I am a good fit right from the first message, really helps me respond in a way that moves the conversation forward without wasting either side’s time.

The seller’s last response was rude, you most definitely definitely dodged a bullet there.

However, as a seller who gets dozens of tire-kicking messages and “how do you do that” questions a day, I must say that contacting a seller with just a question about their workflow or tools, will make it seem like you are just there to ask that one thing.

Out of context it looks weird and if I am busy and someone messages me to ask whether I use a piece of software or tool, I won’t be rude, however, I won’t feel like it’s a qualified lead.

I think it would benefit you greatly if you send a detailed brief/message when contacting a seller. You don’t need to mention how many projects you have, or how big they are.

But if I am able to find out whether I am a good fit right from the first message, really helps me respond in a way that moves the conversation forward without wasting either side’s time.

Thanks Frank. Perhaps I’m not used to the rules of engagement here. I run a reputable business and when I contact other service providers I get a very professional response so I was caught with this reply which escalated so quickly. I’m sure there are dodgy buyers as people are pointing out. It seems rude to start off on the wrong note though. I wouldn’t have any clients, which lead to these jobs, if I treated them like that. I must be in the wrong place

I have asked the question in the manner you have suggested, which is can you do the job and the answer is mostly yes but it’s not until you dig deeper that you realise the equipment being used will deliver an inferior result. So I would have to disagree that this is not simply about asking about capability.

I didn’t mention the jobs to the seller. We didn’t get very far and the first response put me off.

On Fiverr, it really helps if you start by stating what the job is, and then ask questions.

Way too often, I get messages like “Can you help me?” or “Hi”, and while I always do my best to respond in a polite and professional manner, people who start like that tend to drip-feed me information or give vague answers, and take forever to get to the point (and then it turns out that they need something that has nothing to do with my services, or that I’m not a good match for their needs, or that they are unable to properly communicate what it is that they need…and we get paid for delivering orders, not for endless inbox conversations). Many other sellers experience this, too. While this seller’s response was rude and not something I’d personally do, it does get frustrating sometimes, and unfortunately, some sellers take out that frustration on buyers who do mean business.

I have asked the question in the manner you have suggested, which is can you do the job and the answer is mostly yes but it’s not until you dig deeper that you realise the equipment being used will deliver an inferior result. So I would have to disagree that this is not simply about asking about capability.

So I would have to disagree that this is not simply about asking about capability.

I think most professional sellers here would be in total agreement with you, particularly about the rudeness of the seller’s response. There’s no excuse for it, and we’ve certainly never spoken to a client like that (even the small handful that we’ve really wanted to!)

The only thing I’d add in regards to your comment about this not being about capability, is that this wasn’t made clear in your original message. I’m not justifying the rude response you then received, but it might at least explain it.

We produce videos as well as voice over, and I had someone message a little while ago saying simply “What software do you use?”. I explained (it’s no secret, I use a couple of readily available video packages) and then asked what project they’d like to discuss, to which they replied “Oh no, I’m thinking of getting into the field and wanted to see if I had everything I need.”

Fiverr also has a mandated requirement for Sellers that they reply to 100% of the messages that they receive. Failure to do so can result in you being penalised, to the point of losing your seller level. So even for messages where you’re 99% sure it’s not going to lead to a commercial outcome, you still have to reply. It’s for this reason that sellers get a little salty when they feel like they’re being spammed, or having their time wasted (which you of course were not doing - but it seems your seller interpreted it this way).

I must be in the wrong place

If you mean Fiverr, I’d say no. Keep in mind, this is one seller, and he doesn’t represent the vast majority of us who would have handled this in a far more professional manner. And, like others have said, slightly tweaking your opening approach in terms of being clear that you’ve got a project you’d like to discuss, will likely yield much more positive results for you.

For what it’s worth, I think you asked a fair enough question.

Someone who uses a teleprompter has the ability to communicate directly into the camera lens as opposed to someone who is reading a script on an iPad placed to the side of the camera for example. I imagine this was a key requirement for your job.

Judging by the seller’s response I think it’s fair enough to assume that they didn’t have a teleprompter! Their response was just rude. As @frank_d has said, you’ve likely dodged a bullet there.

For what it’s worth, I think you asked a fair enough question.

Someone who uses a teleprompter has the ability to communicate directly into the camera lens as opposed to someone who is reading a script on an iPad placed to the side of the camera for example. I imagine this was a key requirement for your job.

Judging by the seller’s response I think it’s fair enough to assume that they didn’t have a teleprompter! Their response was just rude. As @frank_d has said, you’ve likely dodged a bullet there.

Yes. I was recently sent a sample of a read an the eyeline was off to one side.

It becomes more apparent with tight shots.

Yes. I was recently sent a sample of a read an the eyeline was off to one side.

It becomes more apparent with tight shots.

I get it! A teleprompter is a great piece of kit. There is nothing more disconcerting than watching a ‘professional’ video where the presenter is looking to the side of the camera. And no, I don’t have a telepromopter!

So I would have to disagree that this is not simply about asking about capability.

I think most professional sellers here would be in total agreement with you, particularly about the rudeness of the seller’s response. There’s no excuse for it, and we’ve certainly never spoken to a client like that (even the small handful that we’ve really wanted to!)

The only thing I’d add in regards to your comment about this not being about capability, is that this wasn’t made clear in your original message. I’m not justifying the rude response you then received, but it might at least explain it.

We produce videos as well as voice over, and I had someone message a little while ago saying simply “What software do you use?”. I explained (it’s no secret, I use a couple of readily available video packages) and then asked what project they’d like to discuss, to which they replied “Oh no, I’m thinking of getting into the field and wanted to see if I had everything I need.”

Fiverr also has a mandated requirement for Sellers that they reply to 100% of the messages that they receive. Failure to do so can result in you being penalised, to the point of losing your seller level. So even for messages where you’re 99% sure it’s not going to lead to a commercial outcome, you still have to reply. It’s for this reason that sellers get a little salty when they feel like they’re being spammed, or having their time wasted (which you of course were not doing - but it seems your seller interpreted it this way).

I must be in the wrong place

If you mean Fiverr, I’d say no. Keep in mind, this is one seller, and he doesn’t represent the vast majority of us who would have handled this in a far more professional manner. And, like others have said, slightly tweaking your opening approach in terms of being clear that you’ve got a project you’d like to discuss, will likely yield much more positive results for you.

Thanks for giving me an insight into the sellers issues. I will keep it in mind.

Is the seller able to see what the buyers history of spend and jobs is which would at least give some credibility to the buyer.

On top of informing the seller of what your project is in the initial message, I would also suggest that, instead of just asking, “Do you use a teleprompter,” it might be better to also add something like, “I ask because in the past, I’ve had people reading from their iPhone off the side of the camera, and I don’t like that you can see them looking away. Can you do this project while making sure to not look like you’re reading from a script?”

That way they know why you’re asking about something that to them at first may seem meaningless or rude.

Not saying you did anything wrong, by the way. Also, you definitely dodged a bullet there. 👍

On Fiverr, it really helps if you start by stating what the job is, and then ask questions.

Way too often, I get messages like “Can you help me?” or “Hi”, and while I always do my best to respond in a polite and professional manner, people who start like that tend to drip-feed me information or give vague answers, and take forever to get to the point (and then it turns out that they need something that has nothing to do with my services, or that I’m not a good match for their needs, or that they are unable to properly communicate what it is that they need…and we get paid for delivering orders, not for endless inbox conversations). Many other sellers experience this, too. While this seller’s response was rude and not something I’d personally do, it does get frustrating sometimes, and unfortunately, some sellers take out that frustration on buyers who do mean business.

YUP - I agree with this 100%. The “drip feed” drives me up a wall!!

“Hi” (T-minus 0:00)

Hello there, good afternoon! How can I help you? (1 minute of my time)

“I am a dropshipper and I need product descriptions.”

Oh, okay, lovely! Well, how many products did you need help with? (2 minutes of my time)

“I run a store for health and beauty. Do you write product descriptions?”

Yes, of course. As my gig states, I absolutely do. (3 minutes of my time, now)

“Do you have samples of your work in health and beauty?”

Yes, I do, if you just click the right side of my gig page image, it will scroll through my portfolio there, I have several industry examples in the mix. (4 minutes of my time)

“(Pastes AliExpress URL of a generic beauty item) Can you write a description for that?”

Yes, as I stated before, I can. Would you like me to send you an offer? As it states in my gig, that will be $X and includes X, Y, and Z. I can have it finished by X for you. (5 minutes of my time)

“Do you have any examples of writing for (generic beauty item)?”

No, I don’t have any specific examples, but you can see the tone and quality of work from my portfolio. If you’d like me to send that offer, just let me know, okay? I’ll let you look through my page and decide, just drop me a message if you’d like to proceed. (6 minutes of my time)

“Wow that is too much money, I am a small business, can you do (half of my requested rate, or less)?”

No, I’m afraid I can’t. I have a very full queue of work at my regular rate, so I’m not willing to take on any lower paying jobs. There are many other writers on Fiverr that would work with your budget, though - best of luck! (7 minutes of my time)

“Please? I really need it!!”

Again, I’m afraid we’re not a good match for each other. Have a nice day, thank you for your interest. (8 minutes of my time, completely wasted, by a “buyer” who can’t be bothered to read whatsoever.)

Thanks for giving me an insight into the sellers issues. I will keep it in mind.

Is the seller able to see what the buyers history of spend and jobs is which would at least give some credibility to the buyer.

Not really, no.

If a buyer has left a review for a previous job, that review shows on their profile, and we as sellers can then get an idea of the kind of reviews they’ve left for previous sellers. We could also (although it can be a lot of manual research) go to the seller’s profiles, try and locate the review that they left for the buyer, and in turn get a feel for them as a buyer.

There’s no way to see any kind of spend/transaction history for a buyer. I should imagine that would be a huge data protection issue to show that kind of info.

Also, some buyers never leave reviews, and specifically don’t want people to be able to see their buying history, so for those we can’t see any kind of history, other than the month and year that they joined Fiverr. So for a lot of buyers, we as sellers really are ‘going blind’, and it’s all down to that first interaction.

Not really, no.

If a buyer has left a review for a previous job, that review shows on their profile, and we as sellers can then get an idea of the kind of reviews they’ve left for previous sellers. We could also (although it can be a lot of manual research) go to the seller’s profiles, try and locate the review that they left for the buyer, and in turn get a feel for them as a buyer.

There’s no way to see any kind of spend/transaction history for a buyer. I should imagine that would be a huge data protection issue to show that kind of info.

Also, some buyers never leave reviews, and specifically don’t want people to be able to see their buying history, so for those we can’t see any kind of history, other than the month and year that they joined Fiverr. So for a lot of buyers, we as sellers really are ‘going blind’, and it’s all down to that first interaction.

There’s no way to see any kind of spend/transaction history for a buyer.

Though it does sometimes say “Top Buyer” next to a buyer so you know they have spent enough to earn that (though we don’t know how much that is. I think someone said that could be $100 but it might not be).

If the eye-line constantly moving off-camera due to not using a teleprompter is distracting, maybe there might be a way to process/alter the video (especially if high enough res source) so that the eyes can be changed back to the centre - if it wouldn’t be noticeable in the final video. Though maybe it would take too much time/not give good enough results.

Though it does sometimes say “Top Buyer” next to a buyer so you know they have spent enough to earn that (though we don’t know how much that is. I think someone said that could be $100 but it might not be).

If the eye-line constantly moving off-camera due to not using a teleprompter is distracting, maybe there might be a way to process/alter the video (especially if high enough res source) so that the eyes can be changed back to the centre - if it wouldn’t be noticeable in the final video. Though maybe it would take too much time/not give good enough results.

Just to put this in perspective, that seems to be the only thing that “Top Buyer” means. The rudest buyer, or maybe person at all that I ever encountered here, was a “Top Buyer”, and I wouldn’t have worked with him after his tantrum, even if he’d suddenly decided to want to pay 2x or 10x or 100x the actual amount.

I’ve worked and work with many awesome people who are Top Buyers, though, and I don’t judge other Top Buyers, or Fiverr, based on that experience.

One bad experience shouldn’t decide if you use a platform that generally seems advantageous for you.

Unfortunately it’s not possible without weird results. I’ve worked in the industry and no one does that but good try

Archived