The Most Important Question Of All

nateb99

I have this Italian online friend who told me that I would be lynch-mobbed by the locals if I ever mention “Hawaiian” or “pineapple pizza”. 😂

We have a lot of oddly “Japanese-themed” pasta and pizza in Japan, like teriyaki chicken and mochi pizza. I have an Italian coworker so I asked him what he thought about those types of pizzas. His answer:

“Those are not pizzas. I can’t call them pizza.”

OK, what do you call them then?

“That tasty round stuff you can only eat in Japan.”

…sounds good enough to me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a lot of oddly “Japanese-themed” pasta and pizza in Japan, like teriyaki chicken and mochi pizza. I have an Italian coworker so I asked him what he thought about those types of pizzas. His answer:

Isn’t okonomiyaki technically also “that tasty round stuff you can only eat in Japan”? XD Though it is also available all over the world, I guess. :thinking:

Isn’t okonomiyaki technically also “that tasty round stuff you can only eat in Japan”? XD Though it is also available all over the world, I guess. :thinking:

Okonomiyaki would simply be okonomiyaki, it already has a name, but from

my coworker’s point of view, mochi pizza, teriyaki chicken pizza, tarako pizza

are not “pizza” and he refuses to call them so, so it becomes the “round stuff in Japan.”

You can buy okonomiyaki in other countries too if you go to a Japanese restaurant, but

I’m not sure if it’s easy to find mochi pizza. :thinking:

Okonomiyaki would simply be okonomiyaki, it already has a name, but from

my coworker’s point of view, mochi pizza, teriyaki chicken pizza, tarako pizza

are not “pizza” and he refuses to call them so, so it becomes the “round stuff in Japan.”

You can buy okonomiyaki in other countries too if you go to a Japanese restaurant, but

I’m not sure if it’s easy to find mochi pizza. :thinking:

Yeah, to be honest I’ve never heard of mochi pizza before. There are, however, some people around here who refer to okonomiyaki as “Japanese pizza” - I guess they just can’t remember the term. 😂

Ok, so. I know what mochi is, because I’m pretty interested in Japanese cuisine (and I read manga, so…)

Although I can’t imagine a mochi pizza, my Italian soul is burning, like a Saint Seiya’s cosmo.

Archived