The Most Important Question Of All

nateb99

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about pizza fritta (deep fried pizza)?

My little Italian mama-in-law taught me to make these. We use ham and cheddar or pepperoni and mozzarella. My granddaughter calls it ‘inside out pizza.’

We started using ham and cheddar was that long ago, pepperoni and mozzarella were not available in our part of the US.

My little Italian mama-in-law taught me to make these. We use ham and cheddar or pepperoni and mozzarella. My granddaughter calls it ‘inside out pizza.’

We started using ham and cheddar was that long ago, pepperoni and mozzarella were not available in our part of the US.

Pizza fritta’s recipe is a precious gift.

I’d love to taste it with cheddar, we usually put ricotta/mozzarella and cicoli (or ciccioli, "pressed cakes of fatty pork" from Wiki) inside.

Pizza fritta’s recipe is a precious gift.

I’d love to taste it with cheddar, we usually put ricotta/mozzarella and cicoli (or ciccioli, "pressed cakes of fatty pork" from Wiki) inside.

put ricotta/mozzarella and cicoli

I googled cicoli and found that it looks like our bacon. I have had pancetta, which seems to be more meaty than cicoli or bacon.

put ricotta/mozzarella and cicoli

I googled cicoli and found that it looks like our bacon. I have had pancetta, which seems to be more meaty than cicoli or bacon.

@vickiespencer I never had bacon, so I don’t know if tastes similar to our cicoli.

But I had pancetta and I found it way fresher, with a light texture, than cicoli. They indeed have a fatty and grainy texture.

@coerdelion now I need to know what deep fried butter tastes like! But, you know, we deep fry almost everything, like pizza, eggplants, anchovies, meatballs, etc…

… they went into quite a bit of detail. Put the butter in the freezer until it’s solid; dip it in batter; deep fry for a minute or two.

Shortest recipe ever!

Nonetheless, it reminds me of mozzarella in carrozza (fried mozzarella between slices of bread).

I’ll stop here, because I’m acting like a living Italian stereotype 😅

I just don’t care. I mean, it’s not my favorite kind of pizza by any stretch but I’ll gobble it up if you put it in front of me.

There is a long history of shoving pineapple into meat dishes in my family, though. It’s like the iron curtain fell, everyone got access to pineapples and couldn’t figure out what to do with them for a while.

Shortest recipe ever!

Nonetheless, it reminds me of mozzarella in carrozza (fried mozzarella between slices of bread).

I’ll stop here, because I’m acting like a living Italian stereotype 😅

mozzarella in carrozza

My little Italian Zia made that!

I like crema fritta . :yum::see_no_evil:😅

That sounds lovely. I love crema.

I have this Italian online friend who told me that I would be lynch-mobbed by the locals if I ever mention “Hawaiian” or “pineapple pizza”. 😂

I have this Italian online friend who told me that

My Italian mother-in-law could never understand why I like oatmeal. She said in Italy only horses eat it.

Archived