W-9 US Verification Requirement

mjensen415

There are mechanisms to prevent double taxation from happening, you must report all the taxes you paid and your income to the US authorities if you are a US citizen abroad, that is true. You do not have to pay twice in most parts o f the world. For example in Germany there are special provisions for US personas, even in Serbia where I currently live, your bank asks you if you earn your money in the US to be able to take that into account. By the way the USA and Eritrea are the only two countries in the world that enforce income tax even on expats… So much for the “land of the free”.

By the way the USA and Eritrea are the only two countries in the world that enforce income tax even on expats

Not quite correct that these are the only two. Add Argentina to the list.
  • Like 46
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

I just realized that this might put a stop to all of the fake US accounts! :rofl:

I was thinking the very same thing. With this requirement, there is no possible way for fraudsters to keep pretending they are from the USA. Now, to have USA listed on their profiles, they have to legally prove it, and pretenders in other parts of the world aren’t going to be able to do that. They’ll either have to be listed with their native country, or their accounts will be banished from Fiverr.

This will likely be a win-win for all buyers and sellers on Fiverr.

Does the W-9 ask for a SSN number? I a bit confused.

• Like 42
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

I'm new to Fiverr and when I completed my W9 form it stated, "You can publish your Gig once you received a notification that your Form W-9 check was completed successfully." Does this mean I have to wait until I receive a notification from Fiverr regarding my W9 form before my Gig can go live? If so, how long does this process take?

Edited by soulalchemiser
  • Like 22
  • Congrats! 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Lena locked this topic