Not everything is for $5 raise your budget [ARCHIVED]

wpfixit

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My problem is when a seller has only 1 gig with no extras and clearly states he will do a,b,c for only 5 dollars. In my case I wanted some 3d modeling, nothing too complex. There was no ambiguity in his gig description in that it stated "I will do a complex 3d model for $ 5. No extra gigs, nothing. When I contact seller they asked for $300. If that had been listed upfront I probably would have considered it, and it may not have been the sellers intent but it did feel like a bait and switch. As much as I wanted to consider using that seller I kept feeling like he was dishonest. My opinion, be very clear on what you will do starting at $5 and what requires extra gig purchases.

@fliphouse: I agree. Sellers should be very specific about what they offer for $5.00. As a seller on Fiverr, I disagree with the quality comments. I believe that the quality of your $5.00 gig should be good. I believe that your extras should be great. You should never say, “Well what did you expect for $5.00?” We have to spend the customer’s $5.00 like it’s the last they have. Being specific about what is included for $5.00 will keep you from spending too much time on it. Don’t bait and switch. Because of my skill set, I can do really awesome things in 5-15 minutes and Fiverr is a great place to sell them.

• 9 months later...

If you offer to sell your home for $5 then you should sell it at that price. Not bait and switch. Be clear up front of your prices and there will be no misunderstandings. I’ve seen all types of sneaky tactics by sellers. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. If you’re that good we will cough up the extra dough for your products but if you’re using sneaky tactics we will find other options. I believe in paying for quality work not nickle and diming a talented person to death. You get what you pay for

$5.00 is NOTHING. Gosh, I’m looking for someone to illustrate a series of five children’s books for me, a business logo for a company that is awaiting the registered trademark, AND creating black and white graphics for women and children’s apparel and I would pay big bucks to have it done RIGHT. The graphics are EVERYTHING. I wish I had the talent these sellers have to do it myself!

I wasn’t expected to pay only five dollars after I read about 2-3 gigs information. However, you have a very wide spectrum of individuals offering gigs, some giving their best, some not so much. If you think you’re giving the world to someone for $5, stop over promising and under delivering. Be honest up front. Which brings me to my concern as a buyer…
I came across several gigs from one individual offering to post flyers to various colleges and universities for $5 each gig, (different ads), not only across the U.S., but in other countries. How can you possibly make money doing one college or two, and how can you physically do it? Did I have to ask these questions?

Question, Does Fiverr vet sellers on their gigs?

I completely agree with you and thanks for sharing.

Buyers need to know a quality work will cost more. Some sellers would strive to deliver their best job, but truth be told, they can’t do that all the time because the time it takes to deliver quality job means less orders to process.

I know some buyers understand this much, but some need to understand that ordinary job cost $5, while extra ordinary job cost more. I suggest talking to your seller before ordering to discuss what you need and agree on price.

If you are in doubt about the seller’s ability to deliver quality work, have them commit to money back assurance.

I feel like there would not be an issue if the seller is as specific as possible in their gig descriptions. ie: “$5 per 20 minutes of audio/video transcribed.” Not just “will transcribe your audio/video” - which leaves the buyer to assume that they could request the solar system for $5.

Guest pkgentry

The site is “FIVERR”. If you’re not offering something for $5, go away. My $5 is not to test drive – it’s to buy something. I will pay what each job is worth, but I’m here for a bargain. $40 for a great drawing is a bargain, but she also had a $5 option. $10 for a graphic is a fantastic deal; he also had a $5 one. You don’t have a $5 gig? You don’t belong here. Otherwise, I’d head down to my local storefront, where the seller is paying a lot of overhead. If there are no bargains to be had, Fiverr will dry up.

Off you go to your dreary local Main Street then. Perhaps you might be cheating yourself on Fiverr, as there are certain websites where you can get even more work from the loose change and lint that festoon your cobwebbed wallet.

Why on earth is this your main benefit for shopping in your local storefront?

You don’t have a $5 gig? You don’t belong here. Otherwise, I’d head down to my local storefront, where the seller is paying a lot of overhead.

I bet you often ask to “speak to the manager” too. I do have a $5 gigs so I do “belong” here, but people like you make me want to jack my prices all up to the max so I never have to deal with mean cheapskates ever again. You’re not paying just for the work. You’re paying for the education, training and expertise–which can take years to build up as well.

I’ll decide how much I’m worth. If you don’t like my prices, jog on.

Archived