Top 5 Fiverr Myths - Debunked!

coerdelion

Myth 7: Offering unlimited revisions is necessary for getting first orders.

Maybe the next myth debunking video could include something like that. 🙂

Or whether unlimited revisions helps for orders, and if so how much. But even if it helps, one person asking for a 50 revisions is going to make it not worth it anyway.

And it’s more complex I think than whether having “unlimited revisions” helps. Some people put “unlimited revisions” as one of the listed benefits in the gig description but only put unlimited in the premium package - and others put unlimited on all the packages. One of the top selling gigs has unlimited revisions in the premium package. Also even if having unlimited revisions helps get orders, it might not get the most revenue (which is why Pro gigs won’t have it). Also it doesn’t mean that having a limited number of revisions is worse. It could just be that having enough revisions is better than none at all. It’s also complicated by packages - what’s the best number of revisions for each package? I think a certain number of revisions will actually be better for orders than unlimited and also prevent you having to work potentially forever (or eg. >=40 revisions) on one order.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My friend and I once made a site for an established international organization. It was an expensive project, the client was recommended by another friend as “very reasonable people”. I was lucky to do the design and be out. My friend stuck with them for 4 years rewriting the code over and over because unlimited revisions were a part of the deal.

At some point he told me he suspected they were trying to deliberately drive him insane to get a discount. It’s not a “formality”. There are people who will take full advantage of the “forever” you promise them. 

Well, I just checked what @mattboa said about pros - and there they are, offering unlimited revisions on their premium packages. I sincerely hope they’ve put a limit on when that stops …

Only some Pro gigs have it in the Premium package - it might be a low percentage and depend on the type of service. It seemed from when I just checked that the ones with quite a few reviews already don’t have it. But that was just a quick look at them.

Myth 10: Message established sellers for work. They’d love to share some with you.

After they politely ask to be left alone and don’t block/report you, don’t forget to go on a long diatribe about your dire financial situation and all the family members you need to feed. Send 10 messages minimum, one after another.

On 8/12/2020 at 11:27 AM, imagination7413 said:

Myth 13 (minor): Skill tests get you orders.

Though for some subcategories (some writing ones?) a passed skill test is required before you can post a gig there. So for those subcategories you wouldn’t be able to get any orders without passing the skill test since you wouldn’t be able to publish your gig there if you hadn’t passed.

Also we don’t have the data to be able to say whether or not it helps. I think Fiverr might have originally said something like it could increase your rank in their blog (which may not actually be the case). Though maybe that’s been removed/edited now. 

On 8/15/2020 at 9:55 AM, mattboa said:

Most Pros I’m seeing right now put it in their premium package.

Those Pros should take a long hard look at what they are doing. That makes no sense. Unlimited revisions don’t exist, and there’s no reason to offer them. Much less to announce them - I have 1 free revision in all my gigs, and then depending on client or project I may offer more for free at my discretion to satisfy them, but the order still says 1 free revision.

I’ll never sign a contract on a fixed price (which is what an active order is) offering “unlimited revisions”. That doesn’t make any sense.

And order price doesn’t really have much to do with it. If I charge $x for a project, that means I estimate that project will take me around “y” time and deliver “z” value for the client. If you pay $1000 for something that is worth $1000 of my time, or provides way more than $1000 of value to you, why would expect unlimited revisions on it? You seem to think certain price points are just “a lot of money”, and that justifies it. They’re not - they’re the amount of money the client will pay if he feels they’ll get their return. Price is relative.

Finally, no professional should never expect to do unlimited revisions. If you are good at what you do and the client is reasonable (if he’s not, you should turn him down) you will get it right quickly. Unlimited revisions = wasted time on both ends. When you go to a mechanic for your car, how many revisions do you get? If you go to a restaurant, how many revisions do you get? 

• 2 weeks later...

24/7 online … about this.

I was looking for something on Fiverr and I came across a couple of accounts with this in profile description:

“We are a team of 20/30/40/60 people bla bla bla…” so in their case it is easy and normal to achieve 24/7 online since they are working in shifts, but mathematically, how is that working unless they have one big boss getting 70% and the rest is slavery. They have 5 GIGs with 100-300 orders in queue. So that is a minimum of 400 for 40 people, making it 10$ minimum salary per person in the team.
image.png.d3c74436e154d244d77481715d0e8bc9.png

But overall 24/7 online is only possible when you are working as a team on one account, and that has nothing to do with sales.

Unless we get info from buyers or Fiverr how manny times buyer actually clicks on the search filter “online sellers”. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,
I tried the last step, keeping in mind that I don’t send my offers to irreverent BRs . But I still try to refresh and see if I can have any extra buyer requests to fill. At least it does kind of advertise my gig over to some people. But I try my best to show my gig only to ones who are relevant to my service.

Am I doing right or is there something should work on?

• 1 month later...

I agree, well, not entirely, but great video. Ok, where I don’t agree:

1. Social networking. I consider it a great opportunity to show your talent. I never suggest to jump here and there and share your GIG. But if you have followers, and they are 10000, or 100000 and are interested in your artistic talent. Why you should not keep them updated about you and your art? So, I mean, Social networking done the right way, YES. Social networking done the wrong way, NO.

2. Being online. I stay online a lot, and I sleep just few hours. Ok, why, because I’ve got meetings or webinars, or whatever during my night, that is afternoon in USA, or morning in Australia. If you are online because your career and profession makes you online it’s ok. That’s great. If you stay online like a zombie without no other reason than standing there hoping for an order. That’s wrong.

I agree, well, not entirely, but great video. Ok, where I don’t agree:

1. Social networking. I consider it a great opportunity to show your talent. I never suggest to jump here and there and share your GIG. But if you have followers, and they are 10000, or 100000 and are interested in your artistic talent. Why you should not keep them updated about you and your art? So, I mean, Social networking done the right way, YES. Social networking done the wrong way, NO.

2. Being online. I stay online a lot, and I sleep just few hours. Ok, why, because I’ve got meetings or webinars, or whatever during my night, that is afternoon in USA, or morning in Australia. If you are online because your career and profession makes you online it’s ok. That’s great. If you stay online like a zombie without no other reason than standing there hoping for an order. That’s wrong.

You are absolutely right @manuelmarino. The 2nd passage contains an important statement. Thanks for sharing.

Most Pros I’m seeing right now put it in their premium package.

Those Pros should take a long hard look at what they are doing. That makes no sense. Unlimited revisions don’t exist, and there’s no reason to offer them. Much less to announce them - I have 1 free revision in all my gigs, and then depending on client or project I may offer more for free at my discretion to satisfy them, but the order still says 1 free revision.

I’ll never sign a contract on a fixed price (which is what an active order is) offering “unlimited revisions”. That doesn’t make any sense.

And order price doesn’t really have much to do with it. If I charge $x for a project, that means I estimate that project will take me around “y” time and deliver “z” value for the client. If you pay $1000 for something that is worth $1000 of my time, or provides way more than $1000 of value to you, why would expect unlimited revisions on it? You seem to think certain price points are just “a lot of money”, and that justifies it. They’re not - they’re the amount of money the client will pay if he feels they’ll get their return. Price is relative.

Finally, no professional should never expect to do unlimited revisions. If you are good at what you do and the client is reasonable (if he’s not, you should turn him down) you will get it right quickly. Unlimited revisions = wasted time on both ends. When you go to a mechanic for your car, how many revisions do you get? If you go to a restaurant, how many revisions do you get?

Fiverr should make a fixed free revision for every seller. Like 1 or 2. I think it’s a better way. No competition, no problem. I didn’t know about this. But this video was really helpful.

Archived