Many buyers wish to connect with me outside of Fiverr. What should I do?

Hello all,

I am a new seller on Fiverr and I would like to share a few of my recent experiences and end my post with a question. So, please bear with me. I am sure this post and the replies I might get from other experienced sellers would be very helpful for a lot of other new sellers on this platform. Here it goes…

I started on Fiverr about 6 weeks back. Since then I have had a pretty good experience on this platform, everything considered. I have a lot of messages from buyers, especially for the offers that I send to buyer requests. All the orders I received were really interesting to work on and served as a great learning experience for me.

Now, coming to the main point, I have had multiple buyers asking me to connect with me outside of the platform. I’ve had connection requests on WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Email, Facebook, or via call, to name a few. Most of the time, the buyer’s justification is that the project is a really long term one and that Fiverr takes a lot of commission and they would rather deal with me directly to avoid those charges (cannot really blame them there).

The first time this happened, the buyer wanted me to join a WhatsApp group where they said more info would be provided. Since the payout was good, I got sold for the money and decided to take the risk and join their group. But, then the buyer started giving me more and more work without any pay. After that, I was quick to realize that something shady might be going on and I promptly blocked them (lesson learnt 😅).

Next, a buyer initially placed their order on Fiverr but then wanted me to connect with them on LinkedIn if I wanted a review on Fiverr. Since, getting a review was important for me, I messaged the buyer on LinkedIn. But lucky for me, I explained them that it is against Fiverr TOS to connect outside of the platform and that I only do my business on the platform, and the buyer was kind enough to understand. Now, he is my repeat buyer on Fiverr!

Recently, I lost multiple buyers because I refused to connect with them outside of Fiverr. It’s always the same story from their side: longer projects…avoid commission. Even though I explain them in detail that I do not want to violate the Fiver TOS and I only do my business on Fiverr, the buyers are always either adamant of connecting outside of the platform or they just ignore me, thus, losing me a customer.

There are 2 frustrating parts about this:

1. The buyers almost always ask me for alternate contact details just before I make my offer, after several minutes of discussion, and when they don’t place an order, it’s such a waste of time for me (and maybe for them too).
  2. Whenever I send the buyer a message explaining that I would only do business with them on Fiverr and it is against Fiverr TOS to connect via alternate means, my message is always flagged by the “Fiverr Trust and Safety team” and it takes anywhere from 10 to 12 hours or sometimes even more for them to clear the message, thus, costing me a potential buyer.

So, to conclude, I am more than happy to keep my business limited to this platform (even at the cost of losing 20% commission to Fiverr). But is there any way for me to avoid the 2 points I mentioned above? How can I get past being flagged every time I try to explain these details to a buyer and more importantly, how do I convince a buyer to stay on this platform and do business right here?

I apologize for such a long post, but I felt the need to clearly state my experiences before I ask my question, just for the sake of transparency.

Any suggestions or potential solutions to this problem from you guys as very much welcome. I really appreciate the time and effort you took to read through my post and share your valuable advice with me.

Thanks a lot,
Akhil

• Like 16

Guest fibocci

If a buyer wishes to contact you outside of Fiverr, just let them know it’s against the terms of service. If they cannot accept that, they’re not worth the time and risk. It’s that simple.

As for getting flagged, there is supposed to be a warning that pops up if you’re typing something that might get you flagged.

Say no thanks, then report and block. Particularly when they give you some form of “everyone else does it”.

The way you put it is “Communication outside Fiverr is strictly forbidden. We could both get banned.”

Do not discuss it any further.

• Like 18

If a buyer wishes to contact you outside of Fiverr, just let them know it’s against the terms of service. If they cannot accept that, they’re not worth the time and risk. It’s that simple.

As for getting flagged, there is supposed to be a warning that pops up if you’re typing something that might get you flagged.

Hey, thanks a lot for your reply.

That’s what I have been doing mostly. But I just wish the buyer at least mentioned their intentions to work outside as soon as they started the conversation rather than at the end of it, that would save so much time and effort for the both of us.

Yes, I do get a warning, but only sometimes. Anyways, irrespective of the warning, I’ve tried to frame the message in different ways but it always gets flagged (perhaps because I always have to mention words like “Fiverr TOS,” “communication outside of Fiverr” and “leading to a ban” or some variation of them). Is there any way to pass along this message without using these words? @fibocci

Thanks and regards,

Akhil

• Like 9

Say no thanks, then report and block. Particularly when they give you some form of “everyone else does it”.

The way you put it is “Communication outside Fiverr is strictly forbidden. We could both get banned.”

Do not discuss it any further.

I say the same but I have never reported or blocked anyone. Is that something I should be doing and why? @coerdelion

That’s pretty much how I put it, but that always flags my post for several hours, which is very frustrating because I lose whatever small chance I had of persuading the buyer to continue the correspondence one Fiverr.

Thanks and regards,

Akhil

• Like 9

Guest fibocci

That’s what I have been doing mostly. But I just wish the buyer at least mentioned their intentions to work outside as soon as they started the conversation rather than at the end of it, that would save so much time and effort for the both of us.

Yes, I do get a warning, but only sometimes. Anyways, irrespective of the warning, I’ve tried to frame the message in different ways but it always gets flagged (perhaps because I always have to mention words like “Fiverr TOS,” “communication outside of Fiverr” and “leading to a ban” or some variation of them). Is there any way to pass along this message without using these words? @fibocci

Thanks and regards,

Akhil

Yes, I do get a warning, but only sometimes. Anyways, irrespective of the warning, I’ve tried to frame the message in different ways but it always gets flagged (perhaps because I always have to mention words like “Fiverr TOS,” “communication outside of Fiverr” and “leading to a ban” or some variation of them). Is there any way to pass along this message without using these words?

I’ve never gotten a warning for any of these words either, now that I think about it. I’ve had the same experience once with a potential client who tried to “recruit” me. Just typed in those words, then blocked and reported. I agree with @coerdelion, you might just be getting reported yourself…

Thank you @fibocci and @coerdelion for your replies.

It is unlikely that I am being reported by the buyer, because my messages have been flagged for multiple different buyers. Also, they get flagged as soon as I send them, which means the Fiverr “bots” are flagging them for review.

Anyway, I read a few other forum posts and it’s most probably because I use the words, “outside of Fiverr” in my messages, which apparently always gets flagged. So, I guess in the future, I’ll have to reword my messages differently.

Thanks for your help though.

Regards,
Akhil

• Like 8

Write it in a “the glass is half full” way:

In compliance with Fiverr’s ToS, any communication has to be within Fiverr’s platform.

Like that, your message shouldn’t be flagged, so it saves time for you and the potential buyer, and it sounds less antagonistic than “not allowed to…”, “strictly forbidden”, and similar, with a better chance of the potential buyer feeling less lectured and they might just say they didn’t know that, thanks, and order.

For whether to work with a buyer who doesn’t know the rules or pretends to not know them, use your best judgement. With some, you know right away that they are aware but want to take it off-Fiverr, while some really weren’t aware and can become good customers. I use a case-by-case approach, which usually works well.

• Like 13

Write it in a “the glass is half full” way:

In compliance with Fiverr’s ToS, any communication has to be within Fiverr’s platform.

Like that, your message shouldn’t be flagged, so it saves time for you and the potential buyer, and it sounds less antagonistic than “not allowed to…”, “strictly forbidden”, and similar, with a better chance of the potential buyer feeling less lectured and they might just say they didn’t know that, thanks, and order.

For whether to work with a buyer who doesn’t know the rules or pretends to not know them, use your best judgement. With some, you know right away that they are aware but want to take it off-Fiverr, while some really weren’t aware and can become good customers. I use a case-by-case approach, which usually works well.

Hey, thanks for your advice. I was thinking exactly the same! I like your idea of a case-by-case approach, I think I’ll try following that…

Regards,

Akhil

• Like 9

Here’s what I usually respond when someone asks me my email to share files, etc:
“I would love to, but unfortunately it’s against Fiverr’s TOS to communicate off platform. I hope you understand. It would be great if you could share whatever XYZ details here.”
By doing this, you absolve yourself of responsibility and put the onus on Fiverr. If someone still pesters me beyond that, I ignore/block them. Sometimes they Google my name and find my website with details and contact me via email but I still tell them that all payments should be made via Fiverr as there’s no other way to guarantee payment

• Like 13

At anytime, you must be ready to walk away from difficult buyers. I know how frustrating it can be, but if you choose to go outside Fiverr, and something were potentially to go down, Fiverr is not going to be able to help you. That’s why, all communication must be made through their platform. If you’re communicating with a legitimate buyer, then they should have no issue with you telling them ‘no.’

• Like 10

At anytime, you must be ready to walk away from difficult buyers. I know how frustrating it can be, but if you choose to go outside Fiverr, and something were potentially to go down, Fiverr is not going to be able to help you. That’s why, all communication must be made through their platform. If you’re communicating with a legitimate buyer, then they should have no issue with you telling them ‘no.’

Hey Kyle, thanks for your reply.

I completely agree with the point you’re making and I too, would like to keep it that way. I’m going to be very clear from now on as to how and where I communicate with buyers. If someone is adamant I connect with them off Fiverr, I’ll simply refuse to do business with them.

Thank you for your advice.

Regards,

Akhil

• Like 9

Here’s what I usually respond when someone asks me my email to share files, etc:

“I would love to, but unfortunately it’s against Fiverr’s TOS to communicate off platform. I hope you understand. It would be great if you could share whatever XYZ details here.”

By doing this, you absolve yourself of responsibility and put the onus on Fiverr. If someone still pesters me beyond that, I ignore/block them. Sometimes they Google my name and find my website with details and contact me via email but I still tell them that all payments should be made via Fiverr as there’s no other way to guarantee payment

Hey Mayank, thanks for your advice.

I really like the way you frame your message to the buyers. Please don’t mind if I take some inspiration from your message for my own benefit 😅

Thanks a lot for your advice. I’ll keep that in mind.

Regards,

Akhil

• Like 9

Hey Kyle, thanks for your reply.

I completely agree with the point you’re making and I too, would like to keep it that way. I’m going to be very clear from now on as to how and where I communicate with buyers. If someone is adamant I connect with them off Fiverr, I’ll simply refuse to do business with them.

Thank you for your advice.

Regards,

Akhil

Absolutely I’m glad to here Akhil thank you.

• Like 9

Hello all,

I am a new seller on Fiverr and I would like to share a few of my recent experiences and end my post with a question. So, please bear with me. I am sure this post and the replies I might get from other experienced sellers would be very helpful for a lot of other new sellers on this platform. Here it goes…

I started on Fiverr about 6 weeks back. Since then I have had a pretty good experience on this platform, everything considered. I have a lot of messages from buyers, especially for the offers that I send to buyer requests. All the orders I received were really interesting to work on and served as a great learning experience for me.

Now, coming to the main point, I have had multiple buyers asking me to connect with me outside of the platform. I’ve had connection requests on WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Email, Facebook, or via call, to name a few. Most of the time, the buyer’s justification is that the project is a really long term one and that Fiverr takes a lot of commission and they would rather deal with me directly to avoid those charges (cannot really blame them there).

The first time this happened, the buyer wanted me to join a WhatsApp group where they said more info would be provided. Since the payout was good, I got sold for the money and decided to take the risk and join their group. But, then the buyer started giving me more and more work without any pay. After that, I was quick to realize that something shady might be going on and I promptly blocked them (lesson learnt 😅).

Next, a buyer initially placed their order on Fiverr but then wanted me to connect with them on LinkedIn if I wanted a review on Fiverr. Since, getting a review was important for me, I messaged the buyer on LinkedIn. But lucky for me, I explained them that it is against Fiverr TOS to connect outside of the platform and that I only do my business on the platform, and the buyer was kind enough to understand. Now, he is my repeat buyer on Fiverr!

Recently, I lost multiple buyers because I refused to connect with them outside of Fiverr. It’s always the same story from their side: longer projects…avoid commission. Even though I explain them in detail that I do not want to violate the Fiver TOS and I only do my business on Fiverr, the buyers are always either adamant of connecting outside of the platform or they just ignore me, thus, losing me a customer.

There are 2 frustrating parts about this:

1. The buyers almost always ask me for alternate contact details just before I make my offer, after several minutes of discussion, and when they don’t place an order, it’s such a waste of time for me (and maybe for them too).
  2. Whenever I send the buyer a message explaining that I would only do business with them on Fiverr and it is against Fiverr TOS to connect via alternate means, my message is always flagged by the “Fiverr Trust and Safety team” and it takes anywhere from 10 to 12 hours or sometimes even more for them to clear the message, thus, costing me a potential buyer.

So, to conclude, I am more than happy to keep my business limited to this platform (even at the cost of losing 20% commission to Fiverr). But is there any way for me to avoid the 2 points I mentioned above? How can I get past being flagged every time I try to explain these details to a buyer and more importantly, how do I convince a buyer to stay on this platform and do business right here?

I apologize for such a long post, but I felt the need to clearly state my experiences before I ask my question, just for the sake of transparency.

Any suggestions or potential solutions to this problem from you guys as very much welcome. I really appreciate the time and effort you took to read through my post and share your valuable advice with me.

Thanks a lot,

Akhil

the money and decided to take the risk and join their group. But, then the buyer started giving me more and more work without any pay.

You should not be surprised you got scammed.

how do I convince a buyer to stay on this platform and do business right here?

First, you should never work with someone who doesn’t understand the ToS and pressures you to break them

Second, you’re asking the wrong question. Ask yourself why you’re attracting unethical people who want to use Fiverr to divert business from Fiverr.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

if the buyer report me how could i do?

Hey there,

Now, I have a bit more experience with the Fiverr platform, so I think I can reasonably answer your question.

If you are being completely polite while corresponding with the buyer, and you are following all of Fiverr’s ToS, then you should not worry about the buyer reporting you. Most buyers would not report you and even if they do, it would not significantly affect your rankings or sales.

But, if you have done something wrong and the buyer reported you before you could correct yourself, then it is best that you send a message to the Fiverr CS explaining them your side of the story. If they find credibility in your story, then you would not face any negative effects.

If the buyer is unnecessarily rude and reported you even if you did nothing wrong, then you should immediately report the buyer yourself and also drop a message to the Fiverr CS explaining your actions. In such a case, the buyer would be banned and you would not face any issues.

So, in conclusion, the best way is to be polite with all buyers and abide by the rules.

I hope I could be of some help.

Thanks,

Akhil

• Like 8

• 2 years later...

Hi All, My question is that when coaching and clients talk about their private life, is it ok to use zoom of the client or other source? 

Another question please, I get a lot of s****l related questions..... i dont know how this topic should be touched at all during a session, not to break Fiverr rules?

Thanks a lot for your guidance. 

• Like 8