When someone messages you and only says "hi" or "hello" do they buy from you?

misscrystal

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t know if related but a “buyer” keeps sending me smiley faces…what is wrong with this week.

what is wrong with this week.

You wouldn’t believe what I got this morning! This “hi” person had copied my gig, the entire thing, then said after Hi “I want you to do something for me.” He went on to ask me to tell him how I cast my spells.

He had copied my image for his gig but removed my name from it that I have on the bottom.

I’ve gotten several like this lately.

I got a similar one 3 days ago. After I blocked him I got from another new account the message “your mean”

• Like 4

what is wrong with this week.

You wouldn’t believe what I got this morning! This “hi” person had copied my gig, the entire thing, then said after Hi “I want you to do something for me.” He went on to ask me to tell him how I cast my spells.

He had copied my image for his gig but removed my name from it that I have on the bottom.

I’ve gotten several like this lately.

I got a similar one 3 days ago. After I blocked him I got from another new account the message “your mean”

I just checked, I’ve only gotten 7 messages in the last 3 days and 4 of them were “Hi” and one we talked about the order and then followed up with smiley face emojis. haven’t gotten a new order for 3 days now. Something is definitely up.

• Like 1

I just checked, I’ve only gotten 7 messages in the last 3 days and 4 of them were “Hi” and one we talked about the order and then followed up with smiley face emojis. haven’t gotten a new order for 3 days now. Something is definitely up.

Something is definitely up.

It’s the stats. It’s like someone put the brakes on us. That’s how it feels.

• Like 1

Never. I always treat that as a red flag since a majority of the time they want help and work from you and say they’re poor, etc. I did try genuinely helping the first few people I came across but I realized they want you to solve their problems without wanting to act on it, so I just message them once now and then report it as spam. It get tiring when you get multiple of these a day. Anytime I get messages from certain countries, I’m instantly suspicious which is sad because I’m from one of those countries and I’m sure there are some clients who’d associate the same negative connotations. Are the people who often message you from the same group of countries as well?

• Like 1

Never. I always treat that as a red flag since a majority of the time they want help and work from you and say they’re poor, etc. I did try genuinely helping the first few people I came across but I realized they want you to solve their problems without wanting to act on it, so I just message them once now and then report it as spam. It get tiring when you get multiple of these a day. Anytime I get messages from certain countries, I’m instantly suspicious which is sad because I’m from one of those countries and I’m sure there are some clients who’d associate the same negative connotations. Are the people who often message you from the same group of countries as well?

Are the people who often message you from the same group of countries as well?

Yes they are. There might be a few now and then from others but usually the same. Some have offered me money to marry them or find them a wife in my country. One kept calling me “ma”.

One said he would pay me when he got his “hush money”.

• Like 1

Are the people who often message you from the same group of countries as well?

Yes they are. There might be a few now and then from others but usually the same. Some have offered me money to marry them or find them a wife in my country. One kept calling me “ma”.

One said he would pay me when he got his “hush money”.

Oh, wow hahaha. I imagine it must be even harder for women. In addition to dealing with time wasters, you also have to deal with perverts, potential grooms and people looking for attention.

Oh, wow hahaha. I imagine it must be even harder for women. In addition to dealing with time wasters, you also have to deal with perverts, potential grooms and people looking for attention.

They are all bad. I’m not getting freaked out by them, just tired of the time wasting. I put in a lot of time on this site and to have 99% of it like this is a bit much.

If they mention a gig and then go on asking inane things do you stop answering?

Or block them? When I block them half the time they use a second account and come back mad when they are like this. I wish we had an ignore option so we wouldn’t see their messages.

Usually, yes, but that seldom happens. I seldom get a “Hi” message that isn’t someone who never intended to buy. But when I do and they express interest in a gig, but it’s inane, that’s also rare and in that case I politely decline and that’s usually the end of it. Occasionally someone doesn’t take no for an answer and then I would block.

When I block them half the time they use a second account and come back mad when they are like this.

This has never happened to me. I suspect it has something to do with your line of work. This sounds personal to me and people don’t get personal about what I do: social media marketing.

• Like 1

Usually, yes, but that seldom happens. I seldom get a “Hi” message that isn’t someone who never intended to buy. But when I do and they express interest in a gig, but it’s inane, that’s also rare and in that case I politely decline and that’s usually the end of it. Occasionally someone doesn’t take no for an answer and then I would block.

When I block them half the time they use a second account and come back mad when they are like this.

This has never happened to me. I suspect it has something to do with your line of work. This sounds personal to me and people don’t get personal about what I do: social media marketing.

I suspect it has something to do with your line of work.

Yes I get the odd ones messaging like moths drawn to a flame. 🦋

• Like 1

I got a couple of “hi” messages as well @misscrystal, and what I felt is that potential buyers wish to have first a human interaction to see if you’ll be reactive.
In my mind, it is a test the buyers do. Because if you’re not quick to answer a potential buyer, they may think you won’t be very diligent when they have bought you a gig.
Does it make sense?
Of course, it is just my assumption. There are many reasons why you won’t answer right away to a “hi” message. One: you are leaving in London, and your buyer is located in Sydney…

I got a couple of “hi” messages as well @misscrystal, and what I felt is that potential buyers wish to have first a human interaction to see if you’ll be reactive.

In my mind, it is a test the buyers do. Because if you’re not quick to answer a potential buyer, they may think you won’t be very diligent when they have bought you a gig.

Does it make sense?

Of course, it is just my assumption. There are many reasons why you won’t answer right away to a “hi” message. One: you are leaving in London, and your buyer is located in Sydney…

I felt is that potential buyers wish to have first a human interaction to see if you’ll be reactive.

It would seem so but the truth is that if all they say is “hi” or “hello” they aren’t going to buy. As I said in over seven years I’ve only had one actually buy who did that.

• Like 4

Yes, but rarely, maybe partly people who didn’t notice they can set it so that hitting Return won’t send the message but start a new line, and a few who generally seem to be what we refer to as “one-liners” vs “para(graph) players” in role playing 😉

In most cases, though, a solitary “Hi” leads to the one or other kind of spam and/or time-wasting.

what i think is in customer point of view Hi,Hello iis sent when someone wants to get something done usually when your online but there are chances he texted multiple ppl because he want to buy from someone who responds immediiately . if a buyer really wants to buy from you for sure he will send a custom message stating his requ and questions

Most of my sales happen without any messaging first. If someone wants to buy they don’t want to waste time.

If someone has a question they can simply write the question. If they say only “hi” they are up to something, they have an idea to try to do something they know is sneaky or not related to buying at all.

• Like 2

Most of my sales happen without any messaging first. If someone wants to buy they don’t want to waste time.

If someone has a question they can simply write the question. If they say only “hi” they are up to something, they have an idea to try to do something they know is sneaky or not related to buying at all.

I think they just want to flirt with you.

I felt is that potential buyers wish to have first a human interaction to see if you’ll be reactive.

It would seem so but the truth is that if all they say is “hi” or “hello” they aren’t going to buy. As I said in over seven years I’ve only had one actually buy who did that.

Experience is speaking 🙂

Well, I guess what we still can do is reply and see.

Maybe we’ll be lucky and turn a “hi” into a customized order and even a long term partnership.

Who knows ?

great !! you are really lucky to get orders by starting with a ‘hi’ ‘hello’ 😍
i didn’t received these types of msgs yet!
in my opinion a serious buyer will go straight through the details of his project .
But BTW May be a serious client text you ‘hi’ as its a human nature of meeting 🙂

• Like 1

great !! you are really lucky to get orders by starting with a ‘hi’ ‘hello’ 😍

i didn’t received these types of msgs yet!

in my opinion a serious buyer will go straight through the details of his project .

But BTW May be a serious client text you ‘hi’ as its a human nature of meeting 🙂

you are really lucky to get orders by starting with a ‘hi’ ‘hello’

I don’t mean the first message begins with hi, I mean that’s all they say in the first message. These never order.

• Like 2

I’ve had some good and returning customers from “Hi” messages, but also a bunch of them turn out be someone trying to mek sel - it depends.

The trick is to have a quick response ready for “Hi” messages, like:

"Hi,

Welcome to my Gig!
How can I help you? "

You will know if it is a potential serious buyer right after the next response.
Here’s an idea:
Maybe Fiverr could implement this above message as an auto-response if someone types only “Hi” or “Hello”?

I believe that some serious buyers type “Hi” or “Hello” just to see if you are online right away, so they can chat with you instantly. They need an answer fast. If you don’t respond right away, they move to someone else who does. That’s why you don’t get a response if they wait for hours to answer while you are resting or sleeping.

• Like 4

I’ve had some good and returning customers from “Hi” messages, but also a bunch of them turn out be someone trying to mek sel - it depends.

The trick is to have a quick response ready for “Hi” messages, like:

"Hi,

Welcome to my Gig!

How can I help you? "

You will know if it is a potential serious buyer right after the next response.

Here’s an idea:

Maybe Fiverr could implement this above message as an auto-response if someone types only “Hi” or “Hello”?

I believe that some serious buyers type “Hi” or “Hello” just to see if you are online right away, so they can chat with you instantly. They need an answer fast. If you don’t respond right away, they move to someone else who does. That’s why you don’t get a response if they wait for hours to answer while you are resting or sleeping.

Welcome to my Gig!

How can I help you? "

I usually do say something similar but my experience seems to be different from yours as far as having them want anything relating to my gigs or being serious.

I remember getting a surprise once when someone who only began his first message with “hi” actually decided to buy a gig from me.

How has it been for others who only get a “hello” or a “hi” and nothing more from someone?

Often when I say hi back they will ask a couple questions but these are never genuine, real questions as if they are serious.

I have no idea why they bother to send a message only saying hi. If anyone here does that maybe you can explain it.

How has it been for others who only get a “hello” or a “hi” and nothing more from someone?

I had one today with ‘’ hello ‘’ … after I asked him if I can help with anything he started to ask if I can share my orders with him because he’s new.

• Like 1

I had one today with ‘’ hello ‘’ … after I asked him if I can help with anything he started to ask if I can share my orders with him because he’s new.

I had one say Hi this morning and then when I said it back he wanted me to help him with his gigs.

• Like 1