I Don't Trust A Gig I Got

izah_moh

I don’t outsource and never have. I was just trying to get a story of my own conception written that I didn’t want to write myself due to other commitments. I canceled the order because I don’t work with immature sellers. 😉

That’s great, you do you. You literally didn’t have to explain anything to me. It’s a free world and you can do what you want.

I don’t see how having a discussion online where I was willing to keep all information private is immature, but okay. I’ve been called worse :3

Thank you for the opportunity and have a great day! 💕

Seems to me like everyone should try reselling and see how much they make out of it, see how easy it is, how it’s just a little bit of admin .

I’m sorry, but you are literally doing nothing while someone else does all the hard work. Yes, you oversee it and all that other nonsense but at the end of the day you didn’t sit down and DO the work. Just because I can bake a cake doesn’t mean that when I have someone else to do it that at the end of the day I made that cake.

It’s just a matter of accepting your role. No one’s going to crucify you.

Also just because someone else charges less doesn’t mean you are required to manipulate them. Can you do so? Yes. Is it still a scummy move? Also yes.

In this particular situation I wasn’t even trying to point any fingers, I just had a gut instinct and decided to share it.

Also your “everyone should try reselling to see how easy it is” line and point is very deceiving and twisted.

If EVERYONE resold, then who would be there to do the grunt work? Since everyone is doing it, no one would want to work for cheap.

you are literally doing nothing while someone else does all the hard work. Yes, you oversee it and all that other nonsense but at the end of the day you didn’t sit down and DO the work. Just because I can bake a cake doesn’t mean that when I have someone else to do it that at the end of the day I made that cake.

What I do is more akin to being the head chef or restaurant owner who devised the recipes, presentation, table service, promotion and capital investment. You are saying the commis chef is the reason people go to the restaurant.

My suggestion about everyone trying it was a little tongue in cheek but it would help those who think it’s free money and effortless to do. The nonsense you are dismissing as irrelevant is pretty much all the stuff that most sellers complain about having to do.

Imagine someone messaging you, giving you clear instructions, telling you what it is for, asking when you can do it, paying what you ask, accepting extensions (because I’m experienced enough to know to allow for it in my own delivery time even if you aren’t), being available to reply within an hour to any query and staying online til the query is resolved, accepting the order promptly after delivery, paying for revisions if required, sometimes tipping, reviewing and coming back to do it all again if your work was good. That’s what it’s like working for this horrible, lazy, good for nothing parasite even when my clients are giving me hell.

I wish my clients were all like me.

PS. Yes, I’m sure everyone thinks they are wonderful to work with.

Actually, aren’t we all working for one giant reseller called Fiverr here, including the communication difficulties when issues arise, sometimes unclear instructions, sometimes not replying for days, being pushy with “Only 12 hours left to deliver” messages, etc., who does just a little bit of admin and not the real work? 😉

Ya, the practice seems scummy, but it is indeed a learning experience. Thankfully though I might be getting bumped up to a Level 1 seller soon so I can mess around with the option of increasing my prices.

But for now I’m comfortable with them and don’t see or feel a need to over charged for them. I’d much rather work hard on multiple projects and gather money then barely get one project that pays a lot.

Thank you so much for your wonderful advice!

my prices.

But for now I’m comfortable with them and don’t see or feel a need to over charged for them.

I don’t know, it would just be nice to get paid more, y’know?

Looks like you are having a problem with yourself and not with your buyer.

Which one is it: are you comfortable with your prices or do you want to be paid more?

I don’t work with resellers simply because of broken communication. However some of them did slip through the crack and it wasn’t bad working with some of them.

Your rage for “resells”, calling them lazy and their work “nonsense” is also kind of unprofessional.

Every job is a job. Even cleaning toilets is a job. Even toilet cleaners manager is a job. Can a manager clean a toilet himself? Of course he can but his job is to manage other people.

Can a bakery owner bake a cake? Of course they can but that’s why they have bakers hired to do their job and bakery owner spend time on different things and basically reselling other bakers work.

HOW to report something like this!

Like, they’re allowed to do this?

You might like working with resells, you might not but looking to report someone because they charge more than you and you are jealous is no way to go.

you are literally doing nothing while someone else does all the hard work. Yes, you oversee it and all that other nonsense but at the end of the day you didn’t sit down and DO the work. Just because I can bake a cake doesn’t mean that when I have someone else to do it that at the end of the day I made that cake.

What I do is more akin to being the head chef or restaurant owner who devised the recipes, presentation, table service, promotion and capital investment. You are saying the commis chef is the reason people go to the restaurant.

My suggestion about everyone trying it was a little tongue in cheek but it would help those who think it’s free money and effortless to do. The nonsense you are dismissing as irrelevant is pretty much all the stuff that most sellers complain about having to do.

Imagine someone messaging you, giving you clear instructions, telling you what it is for, asking when you can do it, paying what you ask, accepting extensions (because I’m experienced enough to know to allow for it in my own delivery time even if you aren’t), being available to reply within an hour to any query and staying online til the query is resolved, accepting the order promptly after delivery, paying for revisions if required, sometimes tipping, reviewing and coming back to do it all again if your work was good. That’s what it’s like working for this horrible, lazy, good for nothing parasite even when my clients are giving me hell.

I wish my clients were all like me.

PS. Yes, I’m sure everyone thinks they are wonderful to work with.

I can respect your work ethic and dedication to do the right thing. I might have misjudged you in all this. At the end of the day we are all just here to make money and provide services the best we can, who am I to judge how one decides to do it or go about it?

Actually, aren’t we all working for one giant reseller called Fiverr here, including the communication difficulties when issues arise, sometimes unclear instructions, sometimes not replying for days, being pushy with “Only 12 hours left to deliver” messages, etc., who does just a little bit of admin and not the real work? 😉

Hahaha, you’re so right! 😅

my prices.

But for now I’m comfortable with them and don’t see or feel a need to over charged for them.

I don’t know, it would just be nice to get paid more, y’know?

Looks like you are having a problem with yourself and not with your buyer.

Which one is it: are you comfortable with your prices or do you want to be paid more?

I don’t work with resellers simply because of broken communication. However some of them did slip through the crack and it wasn’t bad working with some of them.

Your rage for “resells”, calling them lazy and their work “nonsense” is also kind of unprofessional.

Every job is a job. Even cleaning toilets is a job. Even toilet cleaners manager is a job. Can a manager clean a toilet himself? Of course he can but his job is to manage other people.

Can a bakery owner bake a cake? Of course they can but that’s why they have bakers hired to do their job and bakery owner spend time on different things and basically reselling other bakers work.

HOW to report something like this!

Like, they’re allowed to do this?

You might like working with resells, you might not but looking to report someone because they charge more than you and you are jealous is no way to go.

Is is so wrong to want both? You can be comfortable with you prices but still expect more of the situation arises.

Your rage for “resells”,

My rage??? I’ve mentioned multiple times how I don’t really care about it and can even respect it if the person hiring me just TOLD me they were reselling, and that it would make me work harder!

I don’t even much mind the whole “reselling” thing. If I was being told that my work was going to be resold, that would even make me work harder so I can keep you as a steady source of income because it seems that you would obviously get more work that you would want to outsource.

“And you are jealous” after all that I’ve said THIS is the conclusion you’ve come to?

I’m still very new to Fiverr, barely/about a solid month of straight work, so I still don’t know HOW everything works, which was why I came to the forums to ask around for people’s experience and opinion on the subject.

Is this a nothing issue and just an eco-system of Fiverr? Like, they’re allowed to do this? I’d love to hear some advice from any of you reading this!

You literally cut up that last question to frame it like I was some whiny crybaby child who didn’t like the whole situation and HATED resellers, when I stated numerous times that I was still doing the work and eager to finish.

Seem to me like you probably didn’t read this whole thread through and paid attention, or just cherry picked my responses to answer to?

calling them lazy and their work “nonsense” is also kind of unprofessional.

Nowhere in the terms and service of Fiverr said I couldn’t do that 🙃 (be unprofessional, that is)

It’s why my customers love me :3

But on a more serious note, I never called RESELLERS lazy, I called the PRACTICE lazy. To which @eoinfinnegan explained to me the error of that thinking and now I’m much wider because of it! 😇

You can address my rage at resellers, Maria. I have that. #notallresellers. 🙂

I think a healthy dose of paranoia when dealing with a reseller is beneficial. The moment you get a sense that you might not be talking to an end customer here, ask questions, explain your process, remind them how many revisions they’ll get, etc.

The “good” resellers consider themselves the end customers. They take full responsibility for choosing you for the job, providing you with sufficient information and later revisions if any. They are present in the process the entire time.

Most of fiverr resellers I’ve dealt with usually go by “my customer and I”. When things go wrong, it’s “their customer” who didn’t like it and it’s 100% your fault. They are not responsible for anything ever and are prone to demanding refunds after the job is done.

I don’t work with resellers. There is something from the ethical standpoint about it that irks me. There is also something in the way fiverr is run that makes me feel particularly unsafe. Obviously, it’s not against fiverr’s rules and everyone is welcome to try to form their opinion about the process.

You can address my rage at resellers, Maria. I have that. #notallresellers. 🙂

I think a healthy dose of paranoia when dealing with a reseller is beneficial. The moment you get a sense that you might not be talking to an end customer here, ask questions, explain your process, remind them how many revisions they’ll get, etc.

The “good” resellers consider themselves the end customers. They take full responsibility for choosing you for the job, providing you with sufficient information and later revisions if any. They are present in the process the entire time.

Most of fiverr resellers I’ve dealt with usually go by “my customer and I”. When things go wrong, it’s “their customer” who didn’t like it and it’s 100% your fault. They are not responsible for anything ever and are prone to demanding refunds after the job is done.

I don’t work with resellers. There is something from the ethical standpoint about it that irks me. There is also something in the way fiverr is run that makes me feel particularly unsafe. Obviously, it’s not against fiverr’s rules and everyone is welcome to try to form their opinion about the process.

I agree with things about resellers that’s why I personally don’t work with resellers .

But I disagree with this 👇

I think you dodged the bullet with this one, OP, I really do.

We all know @graphtersawyer from this forum so OP was quite safe.

Based on your story it sounds like a reseller has bought your gig.

A reseller is someone who bids for or accepts work at a high price, and then gets another seller to complete the task for a low price. Apart from a bit of admin, they do nothing apart from make money.

Morally I have a massive issue with resellers as most of them are not honest with their clients about who is doing the work. This can result in communication errors, and time delays. Also, because of these difficulties, if the original buyer is unhappy, the reseller will more than likely slap you about a bit by leaving you negative feedback or cancelling the order - even though it was probably their poor communication that was at fault.

Sadly though, as far as I’m aware, there is nothing to prevent resellers operating.

I think what you have to take away from this experience is that someone, somewhere was prepared to pay a far higher price for you work. You should explore increasing your own gig price.

“Morally I have a massive issue with resellers as most of them are not honest with their clients about who is doing the work.”

I mean that’s a part of being reseller, if you would told them who you getting job done from then they will ask him to do it for a lower price. Why they would need a mediator.

I don’t do reselling but I think it’s not so bad if reseller knows about subject and control quality. After all it’s all about getting things done.

Do you explain to your clients that you will not be producing the work for them?

Do you explain that you will be subcontracting out the work, leading to potential delays in their project to allow for the additional communication between parties?

If you do, great. I commend you.

You’re acting as if this is bad practice when it is actually the industry norm in many cases. If you have ever worked for or with a marketing agency, they subcontract the work out to freelancers, many of whom are on this platform.

I agree with things about resellers that’s why I personally don’t work with resellers .

OMG. I’m removing that. I read that comment as an unrelated incident because I don’t think I ever seen both sides of the situation being addressed in the same post. @graphtersawyer is very reliable, I know it firsthand. My apologies, I can’t read.

I get approached sometimes by “as a designer myself…” people. They have links to behance cases as their references and they’ve already sent them to their client (I happen to know the budget breakdowns for a few relatively popular behance cases). They want my Basic package, unlimited revisions and they talk down to me like I’m a 17-year-old unpaid intern. So, you know. #notall but an awful lot of them.

You’re acting as if this is bad practice when it is actually the industry norm in many cases. If you have ever worked for or with a marketing agency, they subcontract the work out to freelancers, many of whom are on this platform.

As I made clear in an earlier post. There is a huge difference between subcontracting - which is standard industry practice - and the parasites that are resellers.

I have no problem with work being subcontracted by an agency or individual who is courteous and highly professional to deal with, and they make a fair or modest markup of say 20-40 percent. So long as it’s fair and professional - that’s fine.

However I have a massive issue with disrespectful, time wasting resellers who continually try to push prices down, demand more work for their money, and who continually chase their order every few hours.

In my experience resellers look for profit margins of 100%+.

Also, in my experience, resellers know nothing about the subject matter, can barely communicate in English and are the pond life of Fiverr.

Or if you want an above the water comparison, resellers are simply locusts who prey on the desperate and strip them of their time and dignity.

OMG. I’m removing that. I read that comment as an unrelated incident because I don’t think I ever seen both sides of the situation being addressed in the same post. @graphtersawyer is very reliable, I know it firsthand. My apologies, I can’t read.

Well thank you for the seal of approvals! At least now I know better :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Okay, so I’m a bit of a paranoid person. And especially on this site after reading a lot of peoples stories, it’s very wise to be cautious and sceptical.

I got a gig late last night and immediately set to work on it. (Won’t mention the Seller’s name or the Gig in question in case they stumble upon this. At least then I can deny that I was speaking about them 😅 ) But something about the whole thing didn’t feel right, the gig almost felt…too easy? And over the years I’ve learned to trust my instincts.

So I went and checked out the buyer’s profile, and would you look at that! A Level 2 Seller!? AND They are offering the exact same gigs (MULTIPLE of them) that they were hiring me to do. And their gig cost hundreds of dollars while mine barely cost twenty.

Now at the end of the day, do I have proof that this person is hiring me to do their work that they’ve been hired by someone else to do for an 8th of the price? No, I don’t. Do I really care if that is what they are actually doing??? Not really, don’t really much care. Money is money, and I’m getting paid either way. Just wish I was getting paid more if my suspicions are true. I’m just posting this to see if this is something common or that I can report? Shit, I don’t even know HOW to report something like this!

Is this a nothing issue and just an eco-system of Fiverr? Like, they’re allowed to do this? I’d love to hear some advice from any of you reading this!

Anyway, I hope you all are having a good day! And if the person who hired me stumbles upon this…disregard everything I just said, I wasn’t talking about you-BUT, your order will be ready soon 😘

⚠️

THE PERSON CANCELLED THE GIG! SO I WAS RIGHT!!! :rofl:

Whether reselling is allowed or not is a question that comes up quite a lot, which probably shows that it’s done quite a lot, and also usually causes a more or less heated discussion with people who hate them, who love them, who don’t care either way, … which usually peters out with some variation of “some resellers are good people, some are bad people, some kinds of reselling are fine, some not” and that people who don’t want to work with resellers should make that clear in their gigs, or tell them no (that is, in cases where you can even identify them as resellers).

Personally, I’ve encountered both pleasant resellers as well as scum of the earth 😉 ones, like, imagine someone wanting to outsource a job to you, you go check their profile and discover that they stole your bio text and are using it on their own profile, also have multiple duplicate gigs cluttering up search results and occupying spots that other sellers with non-duplicate gigs could occupy, …

Leaving all sentiments aside, and just looking at the facts, as far as I can tell, there’s nothing explicitly disallowing reselling, however, Fiverr doesn’t allow misrepresenting oneself, so I’d say from that follows that reselling isn’t allowed if the reseller sets up their profile and gigs in a way that makes the (potential) buyers think that it’s them, personally, who’ll do the job, especially if they actually aren’t qualified/able do it themselves.

Sometimes I get contacted by Translating Agencies at level 2. Basically they come with a message like: “We have many orders, so we are looking to someone who can help us with that”. They pay me for the services I offer at the prices chosen by me. I got my order and they are happy as well. I guess this is because at the beginning we all offer services at low prices.
It may seem unfair, but is a fact.
However I am against those who copy your gig. Once a Seller asked me for advice on gig and I didn’t say anything for one reason:

1. I have build my own strategy with my own time and effort

That guy created the same identical gig, copying my description and FAQs. Is this allowed?

As I made clear in an earlier post. There is a huge difference between subcontracting - which is standard industry practice - and the parasites that are resellers.

I have no problem with work being subcontracted by an agency or individual who is courteous and highly professional to deal with, and they make a fair or modest markup of say 20-40 percent. So long as it’s fair and professional - that’s fine.

However I have a massive issue with disrespectful, time wasting resellers who continually try to push prices down, demand more work for their money, and who continually chase their order every few hours.

In my experience resellers look for profit margins of 100%+.

Also, in my experience, resellers know nothing about the subject matter, can barely communicate in English and are the pond life of Fiverr.

Or if you want an above the water comparison, resellers are simply locusts who prey on the desperate and strip them of their time and dignity.

I feel your pain. In my area of expertise I have lots of situations like that. No one ever told me that was a reseller. I simply noticed. Most of the times I receive inquiries from someone who are not selling anything (maybe using a different account). Reselers don’t bother me either, unless they have a bad attitude or try to get 50% of discunt or more and try to get extras for free.

Sometimes I get contacted by Translating Agencies at level 2. Basically they come with a message like: “We have many orders, so we are looking to someone who can help us with that”. They pay me for the services I offer at the prices chosen by me. I got my order and they are happy as well. I guess this is because at the beginning we all offer services at low prices.

It may seem unfair, but is a fact.

However I am against those who copy your gig. Once a Seller asked me for advice on gig and I didn’t say anything for one reason:

1. I have build my own strategy with my own time and effort

That guy created the same identical gig, copying my description and FAQs. Is this allowed?

No - report them to CS

Archived