Woah, woah, hold up! Beware of MALWARE in Buyer requests!

vepthy

I have got an answer from Staff. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post it here but here is summary:

We are looking into this and actions will be taken, sadly we won’t be able to share them with you as we are bounded by our Terms of Service.

And here is also a very important thing:

I’m adding an article to help to prevent this kind of situation, Preventing Phishing.

And a nice message at the end 🙂

As always, we’re here if you need us!!

Good for you! Thanks so much for your advocacy.

How unfortunate that their approach is reactive, not proactive… They could screen for these issues and put up warnings that something is suspicious and why, but alas…

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahann 😬 well just asking is it hard for Fiverr to add file filters for such documents ?

Not really. Fiverr wouldn’t add a filter to specific file types (.zip in this case).

They would add that zip or similar malicious items that are new and use new, undetected methods to like database of malware. From there, all similar or same files would be blocked.

Another way would be to use methods from those files in their advantage. They would probably set a new rule that scans for similar methods that those malicious files run and block those files afterwards 🙂

• 6 months later...

recently I download an .TIFF image file from Buyers Request & as soon as I opened it the photo block my entire screen, nothing was responding. (size only 30mb so it wasn’t a crash)
I had to restart, delete that and clear all my photoshop data.

Do you guys think .JPG, .PNG or .PSD files are at least safe ???

• 2 months later...

recently I download an .TIFF image file from Buyers Request & as soon as I opened it the photo block my entire screen, nothing was responding. (size only 30mb so it wasn’t a crash)

I had to restart, delete that and clear all my photoshop data.

Do you guys think .JPG, .PNG or .PSD files are at least safe ???

A bit late answer but still works…

In theory no, even image files can have malware in them. Every file has bits of information in it, so do images. Those bytes in there can be manipulated and used to be a malware.

But, personally I didn’t experience any image file that has malware in it.

Archived