Community Moderators Needed!

Over the last few years, there have been some amazing moderators who have, and continue to volunteer their time to help ensure that this community stays on task and conversations here are helpful and civil.

Don’t forget I was a forum moderator as well over the same “last few years”, although, I won’t go so far as to refer to myself as a “rockstar”… maybe just a traveling minstrel. 😉

I remember you helped me!!! Thanks!

• Like 22

Lots of great people seem to be applying which is great.

My preference would have to be towards those who stay active on the forum and steer or control conversations to stop them getting to the point of being closed/removed. Proactive rather than reactive essentially. This does tend to take up more time though so it’s a tough method to commit to.

A diverse group of people would be ideal. Different ages, ethnicities, and of course different POV.

You are one of the Rockstars 🎸 on this forum… Can you give the hopefuls advice? Yanno, some of the pros and cons of the job. 😁

• Like 18

Tbh why all the meksells or “how do I get orders” posts don’t just get directly dumped or deleted is a mystery to me. There are SO many and there’s so many replies to them already. Every new user can just spend 30 seconds looking up the older topics. I understand freedom of speech, but some days my Home is filled with 30 posts like these and maybe people who really need help get buried under the “how to get 1st order” posts and that bugs me a lot.

There are SO many and there’s so many replies to them already. Every new user can just spend 30 seconds looking up the older topics.

That’s why I always thought that the ability to post on the forum should be restricted until you reach level 1.

Let’s face it, most of the people who post these kinds of posts aren’t going to make it. More importantly, no one here actually wants to help these people. (Of course, no one will say that.)

• Like 18

There are SO many and there’s so many replies to them already. Every new user can just spend 30 seconds looking up the older topics.

That’s why I always thought that the ability to post on the forum should be restricted until you reach level 1.

Let’s face it, most of the people who post these kinds of posts aren’t going to make it. More importantly, no one here actually wants to help these people. (Of course, no one will say that.)

For me personally, it’s not a question of not wanting to help, but more a “I don’t know how to help you” for 2 reasons:

1. there’s no secret formula for secured success on Fiverr and that’s what these people are basically asking. “Hey give me the recipe and I’ll make you a pie!” – it doesn’t work like this.

2. People who don’t spend 2 seconds looking up the solution to their own problems aren’t going to listen to you, whatever advice you give. Yes they will say “Thank you for your great advice” and then forget about it. And let’s be honest, most advice is about working harder and making your Gigs better, and that’s just something you know these people aren’t going to do because they’re looking for the Pie Recipe of Point 1.

• Like 15

Can a moderator tell me how much time they dedicate to this each week? I don’t want to make it to where I can’t get other work done, but it could be fun to give it a try, if accepted.

Can a moderator tell me how much time they dedicate to this each week? I don’t want to make it to where I can’t get other work done, but it could be fun to give it a try, if accepted.

It’s written in the very first post:

You’re able to jump in and commit to moderating 10-15 min blocks, at least 3-4 days per week.

• Like 18

It’s written in the very first post:

You’re able to jump in and commit to moderating 10-15 min blocks, at least 3-4 days per week.

Right… That’s one person, I was trying to get a response from more than one person.

• Like 13

A diverse group of people would be ideal. Different ages, ethnicities, and of course different POV.

You are one of the Rockstars 🎸 on this forum… Can you give the hopefuls advice? Yanno, some of the pros and cons of the job. 😁

some of the pros and cons of the job

Hmmm that’s a tough one.

Pros

I guess having a voice in how things are to be handled would be the biggest pro for me. It didn’t lead to any sales but I guess there was some kind of gratitude or respect from decent forum people.

The ability to close threads with a sarcastic closing comment was probably my favorite thing.

That and working alongside a great team of mods which is something I hasn’t realised I missed since starting freelancing.

Cons

People assuming that you will wrap them in bubble wrap and kiss all their booboos away. The type that when you respond naturally as you should, they say things like "but you’re a mod, you can’t…"

Having to take action on people you actually like and respect is a tough one.

Having to close interesting threads because there are rules being repeatedly broken, although I tried to avoid that as much as possible.

And the time it can take up although that was my own fault for lacking the discipline to just leave stuff.

• Like 27

Right… That’s one person, I was trying to get a response from more than one person.

Every moment you spend on the forum you are a mod. In terms of general time spent, the couple of blocks of 15 mins is a minimum requirement I think, not the time you may spend there.

That said, unless you disappear for weeks without warning, there isn’t really someone checking the time you spend and Fiverr would definitely prefer you to do your orders than moderate when there is a choice.

• Like 20

Can a moderator tell me how much time they dedicate to this each week?

Maybe the plan is to get a good number of mods? :thinking:

I threw my 🎩 in the ring and applied.

After much deliberation, I applied to be considered.

Choose him ⬆️

… and me, too, obvs

You both would make great mods. I also agree with @nikavoice’s vote of confidence for @jonbaas because in the years I have been on the Forum he has helped many people as evidenced by this posts to Jon.

I remember you helped me!!! Thanks!

Plus, in his birthday post in 2018, there were many Forum members who expressed appreciation for his help.

From the very first day of my Fiverr career, I observed you as the same helpful, honest, and cheerful guy. You are a true inspiration. Thanks for giving so much to the Community, to Us, to Me. heart_eyes Happy Birthday, Jon! Stay with us forever. image.thumb.jpg.8157a06c909ce6f63ca660a6d69b7747.jpg
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Can a moderator tell me how much time they dedicate to this each week?

I was a moderator for a few weeks. I found it too time intensive. It’s not about looking at the forum for 15-minutes a day. You have to get updates from other Mods, stay up to speed with the Mod scene, double check rules and guidelines, etc. All that is fine if you have the time for it. However, I didn’t and I definitely wouldn’t these days.

Now I’m actually of the opinion that it is a bit cheeky for Fiverr to just not hire a few Mods.

Think about it this way. If the perks are so awesome, why aren’t all the old Mods still Moderating?

Time is money.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

some of the pros and cons of the job

Hmmm that’s a tough one.

Pros

I guess having a voice in how things are to be handled would be the biggest pro for me. It didn’t lead to any sales but I guess there was some kind of gratitude or respect from decent forum people.

The ability to close threads with a sarcastic closing comment was probably my favorite thing.

That and working alongside a great team of mods which is something I hasn’t realised I missed since starting freelancing.

Cons

People assuming that you will wrap them in bubble wrap and kiss all their booboos away. The type that when you respond naturally as you should, they say things like "but you’re a mod, you can’t…"

Having to take action on people you actually like and respect is a tough one.

Having to close interesting threads because there are rules being repeatedly broken, although I tried to avoid that as much as possible.

And the time it can take up although that was my own fault for lacking the discipline to just leave stuff.

Thank you for sharing. It’s tempting! 😅

You are one of the few people on this forum who brought so much to the table in terms of Moderating. Your sense of humor, your logic, your expertise, your dedication and unbiased approach. Of course, the cool beard and dogs that made this forum awesome to be an apart of.

Thank You for Volunteer Service! 🍍

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

For me personally, it’s not a question of not wanting to help, but more a “I don’t know how to help you” for 2 reasons:

1. there’s no secret formula for secured success on Fiverr and that’s what these people are basically asking. “Hey give me the recipe and I’ll make you a pie!” – it doesn’t work like this.

2. People who don’t spend 2 seconds looking up the solution to their own problems aren’t going to listen to you, whatever advice you give. Yes they will say “Thank you for your great advice” and then forget about it. And let’s be honest, most advice is about working harder and making your Gigs better, and that’s just something you know these people aren’t going to do because they’re looking for the Pie Recipe of Point 1.

there’s no secret formula for secured success on Fiverr

People who don’t spend 2 seconds looking up the solution to their own problems

There is also the fact that you really only have insights into your own industry. As a result, you can only help another writer, etc. But even then, why would you? Why help your competition on a platform where you are constantly up against ever more competitors already?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I have applied. In the hope I can help people even more than I do. Just trying to give back as much as I can considering the forums have always been a great source of ranting/advice/generally getting the popcorn out when things get heated 😂

• Like 16

I have applied. In the hope I can help people even more than I do. Just trying to give back as much as I can considering the forums have always been a great source of ranting/advice/generally getting the popcorn out when things get heated 😂

I’d vote for you, even though you have a bizarre prejudice against Dutch footwear. - And maybe that’s what we should do! Make a poll where the forum decides which candidates they prefer! :thinking:

• Like 17

I’d vote for you, even though you have a bizarre prejudice against Dutch footwear. - And maybe that’s what we should do! Make a poll where the forum decides which candidates they prefer! :thinking:

I’m not sure I will ever live that one down, will I? 😂

• Like 13

Over the last few years, there have been some amazing moderators who have, and continue to volunteer their time to help ensure that this community stays on task and conversations here are helpful and civil.

Don’t forget I was a forum moderator as well over the same “last few years”, although, I won’t go so far as to refer to myself as a “rockstar”… maybe just a traveling minstrel. 😉

You still are a rockstar @Jonbass! Sorry to have left you off!

• Like 22

And maybe that’s what we should do! Make a poll where the forum decides which candidates they prefer! :thinking:

I still prefer a Fiverr’s Next Top Mod approach

• Like 17

And maybe that’s what we should do! Make a poll where the forum decides which candidates they prefer! :thinking:

I still prefer a Fiverr’s Next Top Mod approach

I’m not sure I’m willing to get into high heels and a tight dress if it’s anything like Next Top Model 😝

• Like 14