Client wants me to sign an agreement

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if this happened with someone and what the best way to deal with this.

I’ve been discussing a project with a client for a few weeks now and the client never mentioned that it was necessary to sign an agreement. Accordingly to Fiverr TOS an order placed is already a commitment to offer my services at a very specific price and give the commercial rights if he pays for that.

The question is: the client wants me to sign a document before placing the order where half of the text is written in a language that I cannot understand and the rest of the text in English says that I give him all the commercial rights (which will guaranteed with the order) and that I agree to share my personal information, contacts and emergency contact. I already explained how Fiverr works and that his rights to the content are guaranteed and that accordingly to Fiverr TOS we are not authorized to share personal information or contacts but I’m afraid that he really insists to have a signed agreement to place an order.

I mean, I don’t mind to sign an NDA but this is a completely different thing.

I look forward to know your thoughts on this.

He owns commercial rights unless you have stated elsewhere in the gig that he needs to pay extra for that. Tell him to read the ToS and don’t sign it.

He owns commercial rights unless you have stated elsewhere in the gig that he needs to pay extra for that. Tell him to read the ToS and don’t sign it.

We discussed the prices including the commercial rights already. I explained everything regarding the Fiverr TOS and asked clarification on why he wants me to sign a document where I cannot understand half of what is written, but I don’t pretend to sign it. One thing is an NDA, another completly different this is what he is asking me. Thank you so much for your help.

Personally, I usually deal with this with a “no” - polite but firm.

When you sign a document, you will be held to all the terms, whether or not you’ve read them … and whether or not you’ve understood them.

The document is unnecessary anyway - TOS covers most things.

And bear in mind that Fiverr knows where sellers live - you have to give correct infrormation on Fiverr so that you can get paid …

We discussed the prices including the commercial rights already. I explained everything regarding the Fiverr TOS and asked clarification on why he wants me to sign a document where I cannot understand half of what is written, but I don’t pretend to sign it. One thing is an NDA, another completly different this is what he is asking me. Thank you so much for your help.

Yes unfortunately buyers like that don’t listen very well… I would make sure they know how it works before you work with them. Make sure they know you won’t sign anything. That way if they refuse you won’t have to worry about having worked unpaid because you will not have started.

Personally, I usually deal with this with a “no” - polite but firm.

When you sign a document, you will be held to all the terms, whether or not you’ve read them … and whether or not you’ve understood them.

The document is unnecessary anyway - TOS covers most things.

And bear in mind that Fiverr knows where sellers live - you have to give correct infrormation on Fiverr so that you can get paid …

Of course. And that’s why I don’t pretend to sign it. And I only act accordingly to Fiverr rules.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

244031_2.png coerdelion:

I don’t know why you are saying this. I only act accordingly to Fiverr TOS.

That, in theory, should reassure the buyer - it doesn’t naturally ocurr to them that there is built in protection for them through Fiverr …

244031_2.png coerdelion:

I don’t know why you are saying this. I only act accordingly to Fiverr TOS.

That, in theory, should reassure the buyer - it doesn’t naturally ocurr to them that there is built in protection for them through Fiverr …

Yes, I think most of the time people just create an account and don’t read the TOS, unfortunately.

Yes, I think most of the time people just create an account and don’t read the TOS, unfortunately.

Accurate! Or they read it and don’t make sure they understand it.

Yes unfortunately buyers like that don’t listen very well… I would make sure they know how it works before you work with them. Make sure they know you won’t sign anything. That way if they refuse you won’t have to worry about having worked unpaid because you will not have started.

Yes, sometimes I get clients that try to add more requirements every time we discuss something. When I think that it’s everything set, they ask another thing. I agree with you. It’s better to be very clear on my terms and conditions. I’m glad he is mentioning this before placing an order.

Yes, sometimes I get clients that try to add more requirements every time we discuss something. When I think that it’s everything set, they ask another thing. I agree with you. It’s better to be very clear on my terms and conditions. I’m glad he is mentioning this before placing an order.

Have you thought about raising your rates? It may help weed out some of these people.

Cheap buyers are generally the most unreasonable and irrational.

Have you thought about raising your rates? It may help weed out some of these people.

Actually, it’s very good that you mention that. I’ve been thinking about it, yes, but I’m afraid that I lose many sales. Not sure about what I should do, to be honest. One thing I know: my prices are really good to the Portuguese market regarding the quality of work that I provide. Still, since the pandemic situation people send me messages all the time asking for discounts.

Actually, it’s very good that you mention that. I’ve been thinking about it, yes, but I’m afraid that I lose many sales. Not sure about what I should do, to be honest. One thing I know: my prices are really good to the Portuguese market regarding the quality of work that I provide. Still, since the pandemic situation people send me messages all the time asking for discounts.

Look at this way: you may make more more sales, but the risks and costs higher.

It’s better to have fewer well paying orders than a lot of poorly paying orders. Because you not only don’t get paid what you deserve, you actually also have the added costs of administration and communication that come with having buyers who are irrational and unreasonable.

It’s better to have fewer well paying orders than a lot of poorly paying orders. Because you not only don’t get paid what you deserve, you actually also have the added costs of administration and communication that come with having buyers who are irrational and unreasonable.

Totally agree. I invest lots of time explaining and explaining the same thing over and over. Most of the times people ask me huge discounts and/or free custom demos and once I say no, some of them try to convince me to do what they want and demanding things or promising big orders to get what they want. When that happens I know that those clients are not my target.

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if this happened with someone and what the best way to deal with this.

I’ve been discussing a project with a client for a few weeks now and the client never mentioned that it was necessary to sign an agreement. Accordingly to Fiverr TOS an order placed is already a commitment to offer my services at a very specific price and give the commercial rights if he pays for that.

The question is: the client wants me to sign a document before placing the order where half of the text is written in a language that I cannot understand and the rest of the text in English says that I give him all the commercial rights (which will guaranteed with the order) and that I agree to share my personal information, contacts and emergency contact. I already explained how Fiverr works and that his rights to the content are guaranteed and that accordingly to Fiverr TOS we are not authorized to share personal information or contacts but I’m afraid that he really insists to have a signed agreement to place an order.

I mean, I don’t mind to sign an NDA but this is a completely different thing.

I look forward to know your thoughts on this.

the rest of the text in English says that I give him all the commercial rights (which will guaranteed with the order) and that I agree to share my personal information, contacts and emergency contact.

Sorry, what service does that buyer want to purchase that would need your personal contact information and your emergency contact?

Totally agree. I invest lots of time explaining and explaining the same thing over and over. Most of the times people ask me huge discounts and/or free custom demos and once I say no, some of them try to convince me to do what they want and demanding things or promising big orders to get what they want. When that happens I know that those clients are not my target.

. I invest lots of time explaining and explaining the same thing over and over. Most of the times people ask me huge discounts and/or free custom demos and once I say no, some of them try to convince me to do what they want and demanding things or promising big orders to get what they want.

Exactly. These are all costs to your business that you can never get a refund on. They’re just straight up losses of time and energy.

the rest of the text in English says that I give him all the commercial rights (which will guaranteed with the order) and that I agree to share my personal information, contacts and emergency contact.

Sorry, what service does that buyer want to purchase that would need your personal contact information and your emergency contact?

The client wants to hire me to do a voice over task. It doesn’t make sense, right?!

The client wants to hire me to do a voice over task. It doesn’t make sense, right?!

It makes no sense at all. You deliver the voice over, and it’s done. There’s zero need for them to have your personal contact info, let alone emergency contact.

It could be one of those buyers who feel oh-so-important because they’re buyers, or they could be working for someone else who demands that information (for what purpose, I still have no idea, unless it happens to be the standard somewhere).

Anyway, I wouldn’t want to work with someone who demands that kind of information. After they’ve demanded it, I wouldn’t feel safe working with them even if they gave up on that request.

. I invest lots of time explaining and explaining the same thing over and over. Most of the times people ask me huge discounts and/or free custom demos and once I say no, some of them try to convince me to do what they want and demanding things or promising big orders to get what they want.

Exactly. These are all costs to your business that you can never get a refund on. They’re just straight up losses of time and energy.

Totally agree. I will have to make an analysis and create a new strategy. Lately I have people asking me more than 30% of discount which is crazy. Of course I say no and I only make discounts on large orders placed at once, but I believe that people will always try something. What most of people don’t think about is that besides the Fiverr fees we also have taxes to pay accordingly to our country rules. I’m always trying to educate my potential clients about it, mainly when they say that I charge too much. I have a professional home studio and professional equipment to record. All that cost money… Besides training and experience of more than 10 years in this field. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I will really think very well about this matter, for sure.

I just always say “sorry, no”.

If they start going on and on about how unsafe they feel, I quote the ToS and that’s it. You have to be ready to lose some clients over this but I’ve been asked 4 or 5 times in my 5 years on the platform. Not that big of a loss.

Totally agree. I will have to make an analysis and create a new strategy. Lately I have people asking me more than 30% of discount which is crazy. Of course I say no and I only make discounts on large orders placed at once, but I believe that people will always try something. What most of people don’t think about is that besides the Fiverr fees we also have taxes to pay accordingly to our country rules. I’m always trying to educate my potential clients about it, mainly when they say that I charge too much. I have a professional home studio and professional equipment to record. All that cost money… Besides training and experience of more than 10 years in this field. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I will really think very well about this matter, for sure.

Lately I have people asking me more than 30% of discount which is crazy.

Yes. And that kind of exploitation causes stress. There are enough things happening right now to raise our blood pressure. This is one you can prevent. Look after your health.

It makes no sense at all. You deliver the voice over, and it’s done. There’s zero need for them to have your personal contact info, let alone emergency contact.

It could be one of those buyers who feel oh-so-important because they’re buyers, or they could be working for someone else who demands that information (for what purpose, I still have no idea, unless it happens to be the standard somewhere).

Anyway, I wouldn’t want to work with someone who demands that kind of information. After they’ve demanded it, I wouldn’t feel safe working with them even if they gave up on that request.

I agree. And I have a feeling that I will let him go. Every time I think we have everything set, he comes back with anything else.

I agree. And I have a feeling that I will let him go. Every time I think we have everything set, he comes back with anything else.

Yes not worth it. I find it feels great to accept the reality, cancel and move on.

Lately I have people asking me more than 30% of discount which is crazy.

Yes. And that kind of exploitation causes stress. There are enough things happening right now to raise our blood pressure. This is one you can prevent. Look after your health.

Thank you so so much for your words. I guess I will analyze my data and raise my prices for one month or two and then analyse my sales and customer behaviour again. Thanks a lot!

What most of people don’t think about is that besides the Fiverr fees we also have taxes to pay accordingly to our country rules.

It’s not their problem, though, so of course they don’t think about it.

I’m always trying to educate my potential clients about it, mainly when they say that I charge too much.

Perhaps educating them about the value they’re getting from you (and that they wouldn’t get from anyone else at that price) would be a better approach?

Archived