Seller gone without giving ratings

I really don’t get it.

People who do that argue it is a cultural thing, but it’s only appropriate in a superior/inferior relationship and we’re peers. No one is my servant. There’s no caste system in the forum.

In any case, I shouldn’t have to ask not to be called something like 10 times a day.

I’ve had male users address me and other ladies on the forum as Bro. 🥴

So, I address them as Sis, fair game. 😈

It’s annoying!

People who do that argue it is a cultural thing, but it’s only appropriate in a superior/inferior relationship and we’re peers. No one is my servant. There’s no caste system in the forum.

This is 💯% true. Anytime I see these words, it gives me the heebie-jeebies. I say to these people respect me by addressing me by Nika or by my username.

I’ve had male users address me and other ladies on the forum as Bro. 🥴

So, I address them as Sis, fair game. 😈

It’s annoying!

This is 💯% true. Anytime I see these words, it gives me the heebie-jeebies. I say to these people respect me by addressing me by Nika or by my username.

Bro is just sad. What happened to dude? You’re all my dudes, y’all! Dudette, if you insist, but dude is unisex for me!

Certain cultures have a terribly ingrained superiority/inferiority based societal system. Castes, anyone?

Btw, this feeds into the whole idea of “let’s go on fiverr hire somebody from X, they’ll work for pennies on the dollar! Place a buyer request asking for the world for $5, it’s a fortune to them!”

That kind of buyer will want a servant indeed, and that’s what they are expecting. They probably won’t object that strongly to being called Sir.

Yes. When you communicate to people that you think you’re inferior to them, a certain type of buyer will read that as a sign they can take advantage of you and you’ll let them get away with it.

We see it in the forum all of the time.

This is another reason why I don’t tolerate a caste mentality in the the forum. Aside from disliking being called ma’am, I refuse to reinforce ideas that prompt people to make themselves vulnerable.

Yes. When you communicate to people that you think you’re inferior to them, a certain type of buyer will read that as a sign they can take advantage of you and you’ll let them get away with it.

We see it in the forum all of the time.

This is another reason why I don’t tolerate a caste mentality in the the forum. Aside from disliking being called ma’am, I refuse to reinforce ideas that prompt people to make themselves vulnerable.

On the forums or anywhere else, tbh. That’s one of the factors that is holding certain cultures way back, imo. But of course, nowadays one can’t comment on that without walking on eggshells. All cultures are equally valid, respect traditions, yada yada… as if.

I think they were trying to be respectful because sometimes people don’t identify with the sex they were born with. Or at least I hope this was the reason and not that he was trying to be rude?

I think they were trying to be respectful because sometimes people don’t identify with the sex they were born with. Or at least I hope this was the reason and not that he was trying to be rude?

It’s good on them respecting people’s right to self-identification. In today’s world, people are free to identify as whatever they want. 🙂

So, being called “whatever you are” would be perfectly fine, I don’t mind - although I would have preferred having been addressed as “Dear lovely and sweet kitty, kitty!”. ☺️

It’s good on them respecting people’s right to self-identification. In today’s world, people are free to identify as whatever they want. 🙂

So, being called “whatever you are” would be perfectly fine, I don’t mind - although I would have preferred having been addressed as “Dear lovely and sweet kitty, kitty!”. ☺️

… attack helicopter, etc…

On the forums or anywhere else, tbh. That’s one of the factors that is holding certain cultures way back, imo. But of course, nowadays one can’t comment on that without walking on eggshells. All cultures are equally valid, respect traditions, yada yada… as if.

I’m not sure it’s politically incorrect to speak against the caste system, but I could be wrong.

I’m not sure it’s politically incorrect to speak against the caste system, but I could be wrong.

I mean, it would go against their right to self determination, I guess? Western ethnocentrism, who are we to say everyone should be equal, etc. If you subscribe to the view that all cultures have a right to exist and are equally valid, you really can’t attack anything. I don’t subscribe to that view, however.

Don’t call people sir or ma’am here.

This is an ongoing issue. I just don’t understand it! Whatever happened to addressing people by their username?! 🤨

Whatever happened to addressing people by their username?!

Some cultures see it as very rude if the person you’re addressing is older than you (and it’s hard to tell on a forum full of strangers whether someone is older than you). Not necessarily the caste system, as suggested, just elders.

Some cultures see it as very rude if the person you’re addressing is older than you (and it’s hard to tell on a forum full of strangers whether someone is older than you). Not necessarily the caste system, as suggested, just elders.

Ageism? Just another type of caste.

No, just not calling your friend’s father or grandfather by name.

Obviously, that kind of system doesn’t apply here, but some users don’t know it yet.

Sure, in personal relations that’s a different subject. But in a professional setting…

I guess that’s part of the problem - certain people / cultures seem to have some difficulties distinguishing the two.

Some cultures see it as very rude if the person you’re addressing is older than you (and it’s hard to tell on a forum full of strangers whether someone is older than you).

This is why keeping it simple is preferred. When in doubt, people shouldn’t use these terms. I’ll use Fiverr as an example, Fiverr is a global community. People come from different walks of life. I don’t want to pull out the golden rule 📚 book on how to interact with people from XYZ country, learning their customs, etc. Nope, I keep it professional. I don’t need to know a Client’s name to do my job.

No, just not calling your friend’s father or grandfather by name.

Obviously, that kind of system doesn’t apply here, but some users don’t know it yet.

That’s my issue.

I don’t have a problem with people not intuitively understanding things. I understand that internalized classism is systemic and embedded.

My issue is that the people who do this haven’t bothered to learn what is acceptable and respectful. And we’ve explained the conventions a million times in the forum but they can’t even be bothered to read that.

The people who do this are also often the ones who don’t read the ToS and ask questions without looking them up or don’t learn the basic principles in the forum and come here trying to find tricks to game the system.

It’s a trend of a lack of initiative.

That’s my issue.

I don’t have a problem with people not intuitively understanding things. I understand that internalized classism is systemic and embedded.

My issue is that the people who do this haven’t bothered to learn what is acceptable and respectful. And we’ve explained the conventions a million times in the forum but they can’t even be bothered to read that.

The people who do this are also often the ones who don’t read the ToS and ask questions without looking them up or don’t learn the basic principles in the forum and come here trying to find tricks to game the system.

It’s a trend of a lack of initiative.

Precisely. It has nothing to do with what people do on their daily lives and their culture, it’s their apparent inability to understand that in a global marketplace there’s a global culture that must be adhered to.

For example, my country is highly catholic, and the US are highly christian - and I’ve yet to see a single seller from either of these countries saying “Praise god almighty” in any gig or description, or the forums for that matter.

Sellers from certain places, on the other hand… like, isn’t it common knowledge you don’t bring religion or politics into the workplace? They seem to be totally oblivious to the fact that different cultures even exist, and they don’t try to understand them. They just do as they do on their own culture. And then they’re surprised when it doesn’t work.

Precisely. It has nothing to do with what people do on their daily lives and their culture, it’s their apparent inability to understand that in a global marketplace there’s a global culture that must be adhered to.

For example, my country is highly catholic, and the US are highly christian - and I’ve yet to see a single seller from either of these countries saying “Praise god almighty” in any gig or description, or the forums for that matter.

Sellers from certain places, on the other hand… like, isn’t it common knowledge you don’t bring religion or politics into the workplace? They seem to be totally oblivious to the fact that different cultures even exist, and they don’t try to understand them. They just do as they do on their own culture. And then they’re surprised when it doesn’t work.

Sellers from certain places, on the other hand…

…keep asking you to pray for them, and see that as normal. Annoying.

My issue is that the people who do this haven’t bothered to learn what is acceptable and respectful.

It takes them time to learn.

That is a problem, yes. And their attempted tricks harm Fiverr’s reputation, making things more difficult for everyone.

Sellers from certain places, on the other hand…

…keep asking you to pray for them, and see that as normal. Annoying.

My issue is that the people who do this haven’t bothered to learn what is acceptable and respectful.

It takes them time to learn.

That is a problem, yes. And their attempted tricks harm Fiverr’s reputation, making things more difficult for everyone.

It takes them time to learn

Well that’s my issue. They’re not trying.

When we explain it to them they express that they had no idea. They’ve never researched. It’s a totally new concept.

It takes them time to learn

Well that’s my issue. They’re not trying.

When we explain it to them they express that they had no idea. They’ve never researched. It’s a totally new concept.

Don’t forget that many of them have never been on a forum, nor have they ever encountered a different culture before. Plus everything is in a language they don’t speak very well (even if their English teacher told them that their English was really good, and they were writing for the school paper).

They’ve just heard that they could earn money here instead of earning nothing and not being able to help their families, and then literally everything is different from everything they’re familiar with.

This whole thing (Fiverr, forum, everything) wasn’t a cultural shock for you or me, but was for some of them.

Do not send messages to buyers asking for reviews, Fiverr already sends them reminders and you might end up upsetting them if you insist.

Reviews aren’t mandatory, buyers can decide whether to leave it or not and it doesn’t mean they didn’t like your work. I have a few returning buyers that sometimes don’t leave me reviews, but then come back again with new orders because they like my work. Some people just don’t feel like wasting time coming up with a review or they might have other reasons, or they just forget.

Keep up your good work and more reviews will come, don’t worry.

Finally, they both give 5 Star and one gives a Tip

Thanks for the Useful Replay

@uk1000 @brokensoulss @sabbir15553

&

Special thanks to

@caesar_english & @catwriter

Archived