Delete conversations-post-order completion

bitksa

Er, no thank you. I want a 100% verbatim record of all conversations.

It’s called evidence in the event of a dispute further down the line.

It’s also useful to be able to refer back to conversations. It’s a reminder of why a buyer was good or bad to work with.

What you are suggesting serves no purpose, unless you are trying to hide something.

what possibly could be hidden ? records are stored with fiverr, not sellers.

if you were an employee at a company, do you personally keep the records of a customer, or does the the company exclusively have the right to keep the records ?

my point as a fiverr is the company, hence records should be stored with them only. @english_voice what do you mean by use your language ?

you are not companies nor small business, we don’t know your real name, registered company address anything at all, you are a virtual seller.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

read the edit.

what’s shady is keeping all records. if a person comes to you personally and ask for a gig. do you record him, and store his records with you forever ? now that’s weird. sensitive info shared with the seller, the buyer should have the freedom to delete messages after the gig was done.

@misscrystal i want to delete the conversation because i do not know the seller. However, i do know fiverr company. they can take screenshots and keep conversation. however make it a choice for buyers, not everyone will delete their conversation, but in the event where certain ideas were shared with the seller, you could have the possibility to delete them if you needed to, maybe your ideas will be used one day when they feel like it ? maybe you shared a cooled idea during the project, and now the project is done. what if one day the sellers remembers your idea and goes back and uses it to his advantage. fiverr can keep them

Why are you sharing sensitive info in the first place? Sharing personal contacts is forbidden by Fiverr ToS and it can be dangerous because you don’t know who’s on the other side.

Deleting the history of your messages is not good because if that person comes again and claims you told them this and that, you don’t have anything to prove you didn’t because you deleted everything. It will cause you troubles.

And regarding the “real life example” you mention: if a person comes to me in real life regarding a job, we will have a written contract that states everything that can or can’t be done, in case one of the parties tries to play it dirty. And I can use that contract against them if they try to scam me.

Please be careful and take care of yourself on online platforms.

if you were an employee at a company, do you personally keep the records of a customer, or does the the company exclusively have the right to keep the records ?

my point as a fiverr is the company, hence records should be stored with them only. @english_voice what do you mean by use your language ?

you are not companies nor small business, we don’t know your real name, registered company address anything at all, you are a virtual seller.

On Fiverr, YOU are your own company. We’re not working for Fiverr, we’re working for ourselves. Fiverr just offers us a platform, it’s the same as someone renting you the building for your company. Would the landlord hold the records of the customers of the company? Of course not. So yes, we can store our customers records because we deal with them, not Fiverr.

read the edit.

what’s shady is keeping all records. if a person comes to you personally and ask for a gig. do you record him, and store his records with you forever ? now that’s weird. sensitive info shared with the seller, the buyer should have the freedom to delete messages after the gig was done.

@misscrystal i want to delete the conversation because i do not know the seller. However, i do know fiverr company. they can take screenshots and keep conversation. however make it a choice for buyers, not everyone will delete their conversation, but in the event where certain ideas were shared with the seller, you could have the possibility to delete them if you needed to, maybe your ideas will be used one day when they feel like it ? maybe you shared a cooled idea during the project, and now the project is done. what if one day the sellers remembers your idea and goes back and uses it to his advantage. fiverr can keep them

if a person comes to you personally and ask for a gig. do you record him, and store his records with you forever ?

Yes of course I do! I still go back to old conversations now and then. Why would you want to hide that? Are you or them saying things that might be illegal?

Can you explain why you want to erase conversations?

When a gig is done the relationship is often not done. They come back and order again sometimes.

You’re missing the point. To use your language…

All of us sellers are companies, we’re not employees of Fiverr.

Therefore we have a right and an expectation to keep records of conversations and transactions with our customers.

I’ve used your language there, although I would prefer to say ‘small businesses’ rather than companies, and ‘buyers’ rather than customers.

yes forever, if i am having a conversation with you on whatsapp i can delete my message and they are deleted forever.

i can delete my message and they are deleted forever.

Do you think they can’t copy what you said and keep that? Or take a screenshot? Or have a running video of what you are discussing? Any conversation or chat session can be recorded on any computer.

… maybe this whole online freelancing marketplace thing is not for you, OP.

Get a legal advisor, hire a person from the “real world”, make them sign a contract while they’re physically in the room with you, verify the ID. Then promise to hunt them down with a $20 000 fee if any of the information gets disclosed to the third party. Problem solved.

Well, fiverr can keep a full conversation, in the scenario of a dispute happening.

But as a buyer, you share sensitive info during the gig, and after the gig is done your info is still with the seller, who btw you do not know their real name, company, or anything about them at all. so your info is with people you do not know, and you should be okay with it. no thanks, fiverr keep an archive of the conversation, and give the buyer the freedom to delete his messages.

That can’t protect you. You can’t defend yourself if you don’t have your own record of when things happened and and what was said and you aren’t going to memorize everything that did happen to defend yourself.

You wouldn’t have a record to quote from in the event of an issue, which is the whole point of having a record…

No business would revoke a party’s access to a record while retaining it. Theyd be asking for a lawsuit. It’s not even legal.

You’re shooting yourself in the foot to ask a company to revoke your ability to review your history and defend yourself with it. That would give the company a free pass to say things didn’t happen and they aren’t going to sort through your whole record to find that thing you recalled happening that you no longer had access to…

read the edit.

what’s shady is keeping all records

No that is how the law and basic human rights work.

Companies can’t revoke a party’s access to their own record.

Utterly bizarre that you think it’s shady companies can’t hide records from the parties who wrote them or recieved them. Dictatorships aren’t good business. They revoke your power.

fiverr can keep records, seller can not. i do not know you, if you were a physical company i would maybe trust more. buyers should be able to delete their messages. seller can not have these records. fiverr can keep these records for when needed to settle a dispute.

fiverr can keep records, seller can not. i do not know you, if you were a physical company i would maybe trust more. buyers should be able to delete their messages. seller can not have these records.

You are either very ignorant or very naive or both. Let’s imagine Fiverr implements what you’re saying, and you’re able to delete conversations with sellers. Wanna know what I’ll start doing?

Screenshot every single conversation. Copy and paste all text on to a document with your name on it. I can keep all the records I want, and neither you nor Fiverr can do anything to stop me. You delete the conversation on your side, I still have everything safely saved on my hard drive. And my blog. And my cloud storage. And wherever the hell else I want.

Now what? What’s your brilliant solution for that?

Oh, and btw, much smarter people than you have tried and failed miserably to delete information completely from the internet. If you can find a reliable way to do it, you’ll be very rich. I suggest you google “streisand effect”.

I don’t get why people are assuming the OP is wanting to do something shady.
I would like the option to be able to delete stuff on my side. Clients share info with me that they don’t want out in the general public. Things like email addresses, login info for sites or other accounts etc. have to be shared in chat or in an attachment. Yes, I tell people to change passwords afterwards but you can imagine people don’t do that very often.

Fiverr has shown itself to be less than secure at times and having large amounts of info like this available to any customer support member to look through is a risk. I also don’t like the idea of my account getting compromised because I forgot to logout somewhere and the potential for damage to clients. As it is, I mention in NDA discussions that I cannot be held liable for damages caused by Fiverr being compromised.
There is obviously the risk of abuse of that system but the risk is “within Fiverr” rather than the risk of client details being exposed/used. It would make sense to have the option though.

I would like the option to be able to delete stuff on my side. Clients share info with me that they don’t want out in the general public. Things like email addresses, login info for sites or other accounts etc. have to be shared in chat or in an attachment. Yes, I tell people to change passwords afterwards but you can imagine people don’t do that very often.

Fiverr has shown itself to be less than secure at times and having large amounts of info like this available to any customer support member to look through is a risk. I also don’t like the idea of my account getting compromised because I forgot to logout somewhere and the potential for damage to clients. As it is, I mention in NDA discussions that I cannot be held liable for damages caused by Fiverr being compromised.

There is obviously the risk of abuse of that system but the risk is “within Fiverr” rather than the risk of client details being exposed/used. It would make sense to have the option though.

Please read my post above. The point is, even if you could delete it on your side, that would do nothing for someone who wanted to abuse that information in some way. Once you send me a message, I’ll know the contents of that message forever. If you aren’t comfortable with that, then don’t message me.

Please read my post above. The point is, even if you could delete it on your side, that would do nothing for someone who wanted to abuse that information in some way. Once you send me a message, I’ll know the contents of that message forever. If you aren’t comfortable with that, then don’t message me.

Right, but if I as a seller delete a message the buyer has sent me, the info is not in my account any more and therefore not my responsibility. The buyer could also delete it if they wanted.

Right, but if I as a seller delete a message the buyer has sent me, the info is not in my account any more and therefore not my responsibility. The buyer could also delete it if they wanted.

I get what you’re saying, but that’s not what the OP was saying. You are mentioning possible exploits regarding Fiverr itself. OP states multiple times he trusts Fiverr, but not the sellers. He is ok with Fiverr having that info, but not the sellers. That’s impossible to enforce.

Btw, as a seller I can (and often do) delete conversations I had with buyers. Can’t buyers do the same? I assume they can. What they can’t do is delete it on the other end. Because of course not.

I get what you’re saying, but that’s not what the OP was saying. You are mentioning possible exploits regarding Fiverr itself. OP states multiple times he trusts Fiverr, but not the sellers. He is ok with Fiverr having that info, but not the sellers. That’s impossible to enforce.

Btw, as a seller I can (and often do) delete conversations I had with buyers. Can’t buyers do the same? I assume they can. What they can’t do is delete it on the other end. Because of course not.

Yeah, that part seems illogical but not shady as such. I mean if you send info to someone you have to assume they have it…

Not within orders we can’t and sensitive info is generally only allowed within orders.

Yeah, that part seems illogical but not shady as such. I mean if you send info to someone you have to assume they have it…

Not within orders we can’t and sensitive info is generally only allowed within orders.

I’m not saying it’s necessarily shady, it’s just naive or ignorant. If you don’t want person A to have information X, don’t send it to them. Once you do, it’s over. They have it. Nothing you can do about it. And that’s what he’s complaining about. It makes no sense.

Your example and question assumes he only wants to delete the messages on his side but that’s not at all what he’s saying.

He isn’t just seeking to remove his own access. He’s seeking to remove the other party’s access, too. It is beyond unethical to control what previously seen records another party can access. And no good can come from saying only the company can access certain parts of a conversation. No one can protect themselves in that case. You are at the mercy of others.

Your example and question assumes he only wants to delete the messages on his side but that’s not at all what he’s saying.

He isn’t just seeking to remove his own access. He’s seeking to remove the other party’s access, too. It is beyond unethical to control what previously seen records another party can access. And no good can come from saying only the company can access certain parts of a conversation. No one can protect themselves in that case. You are at the mercy of others.

And no good can come from saying only the company can access certain parts of a conversation. No one can protect themselves in that case. You are at the mercy of others.

But the thing is, you can, and nothing can stop you. If you can read a message, you can copy or screenshot it and save it for future reference. It’s impossible to implement.

And no good can come from saying only the company can access certain parts of a conversation. No one can protect themselves in that case. You are at the mercy of others.

But the thing is, you can, and nothing can stop you. If you can read a message, you can copy or screenshot it and save it for future reference. It’s impossible to implement.

Of course.

But just because one party can preserve a record another way doesn’t make it ethical for the other party to revoke the actual official record access.

I’m talking about ethics and law.

Yesterday I had to look up a client’s conversation with me from 2017. She has a new account. I needed to be sure it was her so I double checked her facts with her old account.

Imagine having to do a screen video of all your conversations to protect yourself and then having to catalogue them all by name and keywords so you can find them in case your other party erases or has erased the official record on your side.

Why would someone want it to work that way…

Imagine having to do a screen video of all your conversations to protect yourself and then having to catalogue them all by name and keywords so you can find them in case your other party erases or has erased the official record on your side.

Why would someone want it to work that way…

I need a copy of everything that has been said between us since I get old clients contacting me and asking about things from years ago we agreed on.

I also have ongoing contacts with clients for over a year sometimes who place orders regularly. We discuss things and I have to refer back to previous conversations sometimes.

I need a copy of everything that has been said between us since I get old clients contacting me and asking about things from years ago we agreed on.

I also have ongoing contacts with clients for over a year sometimes who place orders regularly. We discuss things and I have to refer back to previous conversations sometimes.

I do that, too. I meant imagine having to find that in an unofficial video record, as people have proposed and justified removing an official record for.

Archived