I think I’m being overcharged

I asked for a transcription of an 8 minute video of two songs, and according to their gigs, a video up to 10 minutes with two speakers in it should cost $10. But now the seller is charging me $50 out of nowhere. Is a seller allowed to do that? I’m very confused.

Edit: I paid him $12 for the order, but he messaged me saying it will now cost $50. I was worried if I will be billed more money.

They did not give an explanation. I made sure to ask beforehand if they could transcribe a song for me, and they said yes. Their gig charges $10 for videos 10min or less with two speakers in it, so I sent them an 8 min video w two songs (two singers specifically) I paid $12 already and received a transcription for one of the songs. But then he messaged me saying it will cost $50 for an 8 min video without an explanation.

If you have already placed an order, a seller can’t change his mind and ask you to pay anymore. That’s completely preposterous.

So that means sellers on Fiverr can’t bill the buyer more after I’ve already paid, right? Thank you for you help.

I asked for a transcription of an 8 minute video of two songs, and according to their gigs, a video up to 10 minutes with two speakers in it should cost $10. But now the seller is charging me $50 out of nowhere. Is a seller allowed to do that? I’m very confused.

Edit: I paid him $12 for the order, but he messaged me saying it will now cost $50. I was worried if I will be billed more money.

They did not give an explanation. I made sure to ask beforehand if they could transcribe a song for me, and they said yes. Their gig charges $10 for videos 10min or less with two speakers in it, so I sent them an 8 min video w two songs (two singers specifically) I paid $12 already and received a transcription for one of the songs. But then he messaged me saying it will cost $50 for an 8 min video without an explanation.

I asked for a transcription of an 8 minute video of two songs, and according to their gigs, a video up to 10 minutes with two speakers in it should cost $10.

Transcribing a song is not the same as transcribing normal dialogue. You should just cancel this order. It sounds like you have unrealistic expectations, buyers remorse, and may have chosen the wrong seller.

I asked for a transcription of an 8 minute video of two songs, and according to their gigs, a video up to 10 minutes with two speakers in it should cost $10.

Transcribing a song is not the same as transcribing normal dialogue. You should just cancel this order. It sounds like you have unrealistic expectations, buyers remorse, and may have chosen the wrong seller.

I made sure to ask him before hand if it was okay, and he said it was though.

What was the reason they gave to you to for their new price? It could very well be justified, or it could also be that they are jacking up the prices. It’s hard to tell without knowing this.

OK.

The seller has GIG which states they will transcribe a video of 10 minutes for 10$.

You contacted them before paying and explained what you need and the type of the video.

They said ok and then you paid their 10$ plus Fiverr Fee 2$ total equal 12$.

Now after you paid seller is DMing you that he wants 50$ extra to complete the work, and I presume he wants you to pay this either outside Fiverr or through tips or by making additional order.

My suggestion, giving that the above is true, cancel an order, report him to CS as fraud and leach and I hope CS will show signs of reason and be on your side.

OK.

The seller has GIG which states they will transcribe a video of 10 minutes for 10$.

You contacted them before paying and explained what you need and the type of the video.

Now after you paid seller is DMing you that he wants 50$ extra to complete the work, and I presume he wants you to pay this either outside Fiverr or through tips or by making additional order.

My suggestion, giving that the above is true, cancel an order, report him to CS as fraud and leach and I hope CS will show signs of reason and be on your side.

Thank you for your help!

OK.

I really don’t think it is wise to advise reporting sellers over something like this.

Mistakes happen and not all sellers speak fluent English or are the best communicators. - The same goes for buyers.

I have had people message me about work. However, after sending a custom offer, I’ve realized that the true scope of a project goes well beyond what I usually offer. Personally, I cancel orders when this happens. However, not all sellers might do this.

This seller might not have done anything wrong. In this case, we shouldn’t all start rushing to advise that they get reported.

I really don’t think it is wise to advise reporting sellers over something like this.

Mistakes happen and not all sellers speak fluent English or are the best communicators. - The same goes for buyers.

I have had people message me about work. However, after sending a custom offer, I’ve realized that the true scope of a project goes well beyond what I usually offer. Personally, I cancel orders when this happens. However, not all sellers might do this.

This seller might not have done anything wrong. In this case, we shouldn’t all start rushing to advise that they get reported.

Mistakes happen and not all sellers speak fluent English

I accept this but I do not think that is the case here. Even when I am talking to my Chinese partner he knows the difference between 10$ and 50$.

true scope of a project goes well beyond what I usually offer.

This is the part that is mysterious here, but still, it is a video 8 minutes long. Unless it is about speed rapping I do not see how in their offer 10 minute is 10$ but his 8 min video is suddenly 50$.

Mistakes happen and not all sellers speak fluent English

I accept this but I do not think that is the case here. Even when I am talking to my Chinese partner he knows the difference between 10$ and 50$.

true scope of a project goes well beyond what I usually offer.

This is the part that is mysterious here, but still, it is a video 8 minutes long. Unless it is about speed rapping I do not see how in their offer 10 minute is 10$ but his 8 min video is suddenly 50$.

Understanding the difference between $10 and $50 isn’t the point. For all we know, it could be speed rapping or a complex duet where two people are singing at the same time.

It is also odd why someone would want a song transcribing. Most song lyrics are freely available online and can be found with just a quick Google search.

When I used to offer explainer videos, I would regularly get people order a 1-minute video, but send a script going over 1,000 or more words in length that is simply impossible to turn into a 1-minute video. I’ve also worked with VO artists who have asked me to pay extra because of something I have overlooked when ordering.

As it is, we can all assume what has happened here, but none of us know for certain. CS also has a reputation of being a little too trigger happy sometimes when it comes to giving sellers warnings or outright banning them. This is why I think it best to err on the side of caution.

All the OP has to do here is refuse to pay extra and consider cancelling this order.

Archived