Buyer’s take too much work in $5 and show they didn’t like, but in reality they like our work why they do this read this article?

usamairshad11

Hi guy’s hope you are fine! My name is Usama, and I’m level one seller on fiverr. I’m here to raise a big issue I think every seller would have this. Actually, I’m a graphic designer and create social media content at basic 1 post in $5. Some buyers are very legitimate, but some just have the intention to take more work in less price and they use a trick & technique which is “I did not like your work, please change it” and put every delivery in revision even you delivered outstanding quality work, and when they received their desired level of quantity post’s then they ask to cancel the order.
What? 😮
oh is it really true? 😮
Yes, it’s true & bitter, and we are helpless and dejected in this case because the buyer has more value than creative-sellers at fiverr. There is no such a way to escape from this situation. It’s really downhearted when you work all day long and put your time & efforts to make the delivery appealing then buyer rejects your work.
There is no option left except to deliver him again and again according to their infinity imagination and requirements just for $5.

Tips for new sellers please don’t take orders from following types of buyer’s
1- They will show theirself as they have multinational company and here if you did good job they will give you more work even the reality is company, hire a person they would not go for outsourcing at different freelance platforms.
2- Wants works in chunks: Let suppose if you have a basic package to design 1 post in $5 and standard package to design 5 post in $10 they will surely ask you make one post this time and remains after a week or month.

Sadly there are a handful of terrible buyers who do abuse individuals and the Fiverr platform. In my experience you can protect yourself by:

1. Offering limited revisions. Maybe 2 or 3. Any seller who offers unlimited revisions or a stupidly high number like 8 or 10 is asking for trouble. The buyer will be within their rights to come back to you time and time again for no extra money, and preventing you from working on new jobs. By the way, I have been a Fiverr seller for seven years and I no longer offer revisions. None.

2. Ensuring your gig wording is watertight. Don’t use silly words like “guaranteed” - you can’t guarantee anything. Make sure your gig description is factual and that you can prove every word of it is true. Should a buyer raise a complaint against you, the first thing Fiverr customer supper is likely to do is check what your description promised your buyer. Did you deliver what you promised? It’s a simple yes or no.

3. The moment a buyer shows signs of being abusive or requesting an unfair amount of work, you have to put a stop to it. “What you are requesting falls outside of the scope of the gig description. If you want XXX, then I can offer this to you as a gig extra for $XXX and another XXX days to complete the delivery. If you do not want to proceed with the gig extra then I hope you are satisfied that the job has now been completed with skill under our original agreement.”

4. While I understand that for sellers in certain countries $5 is a fair hourly rate, in my experience (and the collective experience of many sellers on this forum), offering gigs for $5 attracts buyers who are more likely to be trouble. Certainly when I doubled my minimum rate several years ago, the quality of buyer I attracted improved.

I hope my thoughts help new sellers.

Sadly there are a handful of terrible buyers who do abuse individuals and the Fiverr platform. In my experience you can protect yourself by:

1. Offering limited revisions. Maybe 2 or 3. Any seller who offers unlimited revisions or a stupidly high number like 8 or 10 is asking for trouble. The buyer will be within their rights to come back to you time and time again for no extra money, and preventing you from working on new jobs. By the way, I have been a Fiverr seller for seven years and I no longer offer revisions. None.

2. Ensuring your gig wording is watertight. Don’t use silly words like “guaranteed” - you can’t guarantee anything. Make sure your gig description is factual and that you can prove every word of it is true. Should a buyer raise a complaint against you, the first thing Fiverr customer supper is likely to do is check what your description promised your buyer. Did you deliver what you promised? It’s a simple yes or no.

3. The moment a buyer shows signs of being abusive or requesting an unfair amount of work, you have to put a stop to it. “What you are requesting falls outside of the scope of the gig description. If you want XXX, then I can offer this to you as a gig extra for $XXX and another XXX days to complete the delivery. If you do not want to proceed with the gig extra then I hope you are satisfied that the job has now been completed with skill under our original agreement.”

4. While I understand that for sellers in certain countries $5 is a fair hourly rate, in my experience (and the collective experience of many sellers on this forum), offering gigs for $5 attracts buyers who are more likely to be trouble. Certainly when I doubled my minimum rate several years ago, the quality of buyer I attracted improved.

Vary much informative…

This is a helpless situation dude.Here we can only give prior buyer’s satisfaction.But I think you can move on to ‘seller’s protection’ option.

In help center there is options for both buyer’s and seller’s. You should select seller’s. There you could find informations regarding seller’s protection.

Thanks a lot such an amazing information

• 6 months later...

It is sad to hear you have had a hard time. I am a buyer and I do a lot of orders here. My perspective is there are a lot of bad sellers. I have had several try to scam me, many fail to deliver on time, and many deliver projects that were clearly not done. In my case I am often too compassionate. I think about the seller’s time. I wonder if I was unclear with the order details. I always communicate in advance and I put out requests with details. Yet, I find few people read the details. Many others simply seem to not understand. I get a lot of poor communication. One factor is that it seems that people’s English is not great. (I a in the English Education business). Sometimes I wonder what is getting lost in translation. The other things is cultural differences. I see that a lot. I also am pretty aware of culture’s role. North American culture is very different and very perfectionistic. As sellers, you should understand this. Manage expectations and be very clear as others have said. Set boundaries and do not offer unlimited revisions. Stand up for yourself a little. Consider charging a bit more. Quality is subjective. However, I have dealt with accountants who wasted so much of my time and gave me financial documents full of errors. That is just not acceptable. I have about 1/2 of my sellers that are not any good. I take responsibility. I am obviously not good at choosing people who will meet my expectation or something. But some of the responsibility is also on the seller. I can say this, I have stellar reviews. I have had some orders canceled and I always felt horrible about it because I understand time was invested even in bad work. However, more often than not my time is also wasted and my timeline gets destroyed when I have to go out and find someone new to work with.

It is sad to hear you have had a hard time. I am a buyer and I do a lot of orders here. My perspective is there are a lot of bad sellers. I have had several try to scam me, many fail to deliver on time, and many deliver projects that were clearly not done. In my case I am often too compassionate. I think about the seller’s time. I wonder if I was unclear with the order details. I always communicate in advance and I put out requests with details. Yet, I find few people read the details. Many others simply seem to not understand. I get a lot of poor communication. One factor is that it seems that people’s English is not great. (I a in the English Education business). Sometimes I wonder what is getting lost in translation. The other things is cultural differences. I see that a lot. I also am pretty aware of culture’s role. North American culture is very different and very perfectionistic. As sellers, you should understand this. Manage expectations and be very clear as others have said. Set boundaries and do not offer unlimited revisions. Stand up for yourself a little. Consider charging a bit more. Quality is subjective. However, I have dealt with accountants who wasted so much of my time and gave me financial documents full of errors. That is just not acceptable. I have about 1/2 of my sellers that are not any good. I take responsibility. I am obviously not good at choosing people who will meet my expectation or something. But some of the responsibility is also on the seller. I can say this, I have stellar reviews. I have had some orders canceled and I always felt horrible about it because I understand time was invested even in bad work. However, more often than not my time is also wasted and my timeline gets destroyed when I have to go out and find someone new to work with.

well said. cultural differences is a major issue. but seller should learn more, gather experiences. Thanks for your contribution.

Yet, I find few people read the details. Many others simply seem to not understand. I get a lot of poor communication. One factor is that it seems that people’s English is not great.

I have no trouble believing you. This seems to happen a lot. I don’t have a lot of Buyers yet, but one thing that they all have in common, is that they all seem surprised when I draw exactly what they had described me. When I had a look at some of my competitors I also saw a fair amount of comments like: “Quality is good, but it’s not what I asked, so I can’t use it.”. Most of those buyers leave a good star rating anyway. They seemed to have just given up on being understood and accepted the delivery anyway to move on. I don’t think they should, I think they should be honest an remove a few stars from communication. Some sellers don’t seem aware of it, having buyers pointing it out could at least inform them of what they should improve.

The other day I saw a seller recommend to another seller to add a bunch of languages they didn’t speak to their profile and use google translate to understand the customers. Claiming it would get them more orders. To me this must play a part in the problem. When I pointed out that it was a bad idea and could lead to misunderstanding, I got that he has a lot of sales and good reviews so it’s okay. Either what that seller does is simple enough that nothing gets loss in translation, or that the Buyers where being nice by not pointing it out. But with advices like that being given to new sellers it’s no wonder that some buyers struggle to be understood.

This is very well said. There’s a huge cultural difference. The Western culture is indeed perfectionist and holds people accountable for their sins. The eastern culture is more about forgiveness and helping people. That’s where our strong values come from. But sometimes, people take advantage of our good nature. Well, what can be done? Nothing really, one just has to learn the hard way I suppose. I guess if you get a mentor then you can consider yourself a lucky guy. So time is the biggest teacher. That’s how we get experience.

I totally agree with you about starting to charge a bit more but since it’s free markets, there’s hardly anything can be done about it. They say it’s all about the laws of supply and demand but in reality very few people at the top decide in which direction the markets should go.

Anyways, the best thing to do would be keep an eye on such abusers. It doesn’t matter if they’re buyers or sellers. Abusers should not be spared. Get them reported.

But in the end, I would say don’t lose hope in your goodness. Good things happen when you do good. This will always remain true! It’s not wise to throw away the entire bunch because of a few rotten apples!

well said. cultural differences is a major issue. but seller should learn more, gather experiences. Thanks for your contribution.

My business works cross culturally. As a smart business I adapt to my clients because they will not adapt to me. This is especially true of Americans. American’s are ignorant about cultural differences and very self-centered and unaware of anything but themselves. I am American and I can say this is true of most Americans who are also probably a majority of customers. It pays to know the American culture. If you succeed there you can succeed overall.

Yet, I find few people read the details. Many others simply seem to not understand. I get a lot of poor communication. One factor is that it seems that people’s English is not great.

I have no trouble believing you. This seems to happen a lot. I don’t have a lot of Buyers yet, but one thing that they all have in common, is that they all seem surprised when I draw exactly what they had described me. When I had a look at some of my competitors I also saw a fair amount of comments like: “Quality is good, but it’s not what I asked, so I can’t use it.”. Most of those buyers leave a good star rating anyway. They seemed to have just given up on being understood and accepted the delivery anyway to move on. I don’t think they should, I think they should be honest an remove a few stars from communication. Some sellers don’t seem aware of it, having buyers pointing it out could at least inform them of what they should improve.

The other day I saw a seller recommend to another seller to add a bunch of languages they didn’t speak to their profile and use google translate to understand the customers. Claiming it would get them more orders. To me this must play a part in the problem. When I pointed out that it was a bad idea and could lead to misunderstanding, I got that he has a lot of sales and good reviews so it’s okay. Either what that seller does is simple enough that nothing gets loss in translation, or that the Buyers where being nice by not pointing it out. But with advices like that being given to new sellers it’s no wonder that some buyers struggle to be understood.

Yes, I just stopped working with an artist because it took 20 revisions for her to get to what I asked. I tipped her a lot because I felt bad about the time spent. Next time I asked for something and two times got two different things until the third time I got what I asked for. No bad review, no cancelation, just not using her again. On the other hand I have had major projects with an account for example who took a 3 day project and made it take 1 month and there continued to be accounting errors. I had it canceled and still felt bad because it was his time. However, after a while I realize how much he wasted my time. I paid extra for a faster project turn around and he clearly lacked accounting skill. I use that example because it is very objective. I continued to find mistakes. I learned so much about accounting because of the trials and having to tell him what to do (Including basic math equations) that I was able to finish myself. I do not want to learn accounting that is why I hired someone for $160. But he failed me and wasted my time which is also valueable.

This is very well said. There’s a huge cultural difference. The Western culture is indeed perfectionist and holds people accountable for their sins. The eastern culture is more about forgiveness and helping people. That’s where our strong values come from. But sometimes, people take advantage of our good nature. Well, what can be done? Nothing really, one just has to learn the hard way I suppose. I guess if you get a mentor then you can consider yourself a lucky guy. So time is the biggest teacher. That’s how we get experience.

I totally agree with you about starting to charge a bit more but since it’s free markets, there’s hardly anything can be done about it. They say it’s all about the laws of supply and demand but in reality very few people at the top decide in which direction the markets should go.

Anyways, the best thing to do would be keep an eye on such abusers. It doesn’t matter if they’re buyers or sellers. Abusers should not be spared. Get them reported.

But in the end, I would say don’t lose hope in your goodness. Good things happen when you do good. This will always remain true! It’s not wise to throw away the entire bunch because of a few rotten apples!

I have a degree in Religion. I am from the USA and live in Latin America. I continue to notice the differences between culture seem rooted in Religious differences between Catholics and Protestants (Both are Christians). The American perfectionism is rooted in Protestant idea that if you are under God’s grace you will be perfect. So we protestants work hard and focus on perfection. It is a double edged sword and something that causes me/us suffering. But it also has made the USA a very innovative and powerful country. Some Latin American countries struggle with efficiency but are much happier. That is why I live here. My business partner is a Muslim from Indonesia. We get along well, but we talk a lot about culture because I insist upon it. There is mutual respect. We just have to work at it and as you say, I agree, focus on goodness.

I have a degree in Religion. I am from the USA and live in Latin America. I continue to notice the differences between culture seem rooted in Religious differences between Catholics and Protestants (Both are Christians). The American perfectionism is rooted in Protestant idea that if you are under God’s grace you will be perfect. So we protestants work hard and focus on perfection. It is a double edged sword and something that causes me/us suffering. But it also has made the USA a very innovative and powerful country. Some Latin American countries struggle with efficiency but are much happier. That is why I live here. My business partner is a Muslim from Indonesia. We get along well, but we talk a lot about culture because I insist upon it. There is mutual respect. We just have to work at it and as you say, I agree, focus on goodness.

I’ve lived in NYC for more than 8 years so I am well aware of the cultural differences that you are talking about.

The biggest problem is that everyone thinks that they are in the right and others need to change their paths and accept theirs. This ideology of wanting others to change, is what creates the problem. Otherwise we would have a Green, happy earth with much happier inhabitants!!

“Quality is good, but it’s not what I asked, so I can’t use it.”. Most of those buyers leave a good star rating anyway. They seemed to have just given up on being understood and accepted the delivery anyway to move on. I don’t think they should, I think they should be honest an remove a few stars from communication. Some sellers don’t seem aware of it, having buyers pointing it out could at least inform them of what they should improve.

As a fairly new seller, this is exactly what Im experiencing these days. Buyer ordered 2 times, the orders were delivered, their feedback was exactly like you quoted. Now Im being politely asked to change things cause they’re not as requested…

• 1 month later...

Well said, it’s a cultural difference dealing with North American buyers, just not going to accept anything. As a buyer, if I purchase something regardless of the price I expected it to be right, and for the seller to pay attention to the details. Most of the time with the $5 dollar gigs I mostly have to do further work to get it to look more acceptable. I am not asking much by wanting the seller to follow basic graphic design best practices that someone would have learned if they had studied graphic design or have experience. In some cases, the skill, customer service, trust, and communication, quality of work simply isn’t there at some of the lower cost gigs. If you offer a $5 dollar gig that does not an excuse to give sloppy and incomplete work. I am sorry but it is the truth.

• 2 months later...

What you have written is totally what I am going thru now . Searching for some one reliable to work on my gig is totally exhausting and frustrating. I give very detailed information to seller to follow thru with pictures of product and what the design would be used for . I further asked if seller is able to deliver and has time to take up the gig and give proper communication as i have experienced too many who simply does not honour their words on timeline for delivery and also giving me works which is still same and he claimed it has been revised . We too waste too much time communicating with seller with poor communication skills who are not responsive, responsible or professional to begin with .

Usually I try to also not look for another seller to be fair and give time for seller to deliver the gig I asked for . simply becoz I respect their time and hard work too. But enough is enough when seller totally MIA and do not deliver in the time they promised .

So they are always good seller , good customer and also bad seller and bad customer!

You are right! It made my day.

Archived