What kind of links are allowed in inbox?

Personally, I do a screen record, edit it and upload it to the order page or whatever. No need to direct buyers to any site outside Fiverr …

Thanks for sharing that great strategy. If people really want to use video they should attach a video and send it. No need to host it through a video hosting service that enables you to communicate outside of Fiverr.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I do a screen record, edit it and upload it to the order page or whatever. No need to direct buyers to any site outside Fiverr …

No need to direct buyers to any site outside Fiverr …

Well, that’s just not true. Upload limit for orders - 1 gb. Right there, 100% of my orders are automatically delivered outside Fiverr (filemail, usually), because they have to be. No other option.

Would I prefer Fiverr to allow voice chatting, screen sharing, no upload limits, etc. right inside the platform? Of course, it would make my life much simpler. But they don’t, so we have to make do with what we have.

My point is that usage of external services when needed for a project is allowed (by terms of service). We can discuss what is a “need”, then. I think Fiverr is way too paranoid about people taking business outside to the point where it hurts good sellers, specially in high ticket sales and in creative fields.

As a buyer, I would feel much more confidence in dropping a thousand bucks on a seller that gets on a call with me, shares his screen to show his workflow, etc. Fiverr should allow that inside the platform.

Exactly, when needed for a project… No one needs to clarify order details via third-party hosted video. Nothing you can’t do in a Fiverr chat. People complicate orders.

If someone really wants to make a video, they can record it with their computer and send the video file, as @coerdelion said. No need to use a hosting service for that.

Exactly, when needed for a project… No one needs to clarify order details via third-party hosted video. Nothing you can’t do in a Fiverr chat. People complicate orders.

If someone really wants to make a video, they can record it with their computer and send the video file, as @coerdelion said. No need to use a hosting service for that.

Depends on the video. Upload limits on Fiverr are too small. And I disagree - I almost always need to clarify order details through a voice call.

Depends on the video. Upload limits on Fiverr are too small. And I disagree - I almost always need to clarify order details through a voice call.

First, you can compress that.

Second, if your file is so long that it’s too big for Fiverr chat, you’re really wasting your time. No one needs to spend that much time clarifying order details. People would be working for peanuts if they are that inefficient.

First, you can compress that.

Second, if your file is so long that it’s too big for Fiverr chat, you’re really wasting your time. No one needs to spend that much time clarifying order details. People would be working for peanuts if they are that inefficient.

Define working for peanuts. On $5 orders of course it doesn’t make sense. On $5000 orders, it is an absolute necessity.

Lol! Videos are big … and I believe that there are methods of delivering them through google drive, or whatever. Some of those are allowed.

Didn’t Frank_d say at one point that Fiverr are attempting to develop their own video calling system for the site. Doesn’t work too well yet, as I recall …

Ignoring the rules because they’re inconvenient seems an interesting choice …

Define working for peanuts. On $5 orders of course it doesn’t make sense. On $5000 orders, it is an absolute necessity.

Well then they can break up the video into parts…

You’re trying to find a reason for it to be acceptable to do this via a third party. There isn’t one.

Lol! Videos are big … and I believe that there are methods of delivering them through google drive, or whatever. Some of those are allowed.

Didn’t Frank_d say at one point that Fiverr are attempting to develop their own video calling system for the site. Doesn’t work too well yet, as I recall …

Ignoring the rules because they’re inconvenient seems an interesting choice …

They have a system in place, but it’s only available on active orders. It works alright, to be honest. If they allowed it to be used prior to orders being placed, that would help quite a bit.

Agree to disagree, then.

Yeah pretty sure the OP isn’t going to do this for $5000 orders.

If Fiverr allows this they’d be allowing not only an opportunity for people to take work off of Fiverr. They’d be creating another opportunity for sellers to spam. We don’t need even more seller spam.

Yeah pretty sure the OP isn’t going to do this for $5000 orders.

If Fiverr allows this they’d be allowing not only an opportunity for people to take work off of Fiverr. They’d be creating another opportunity for sellers to spam. We don’t need even more seller spam.

Bad sellers will be bad sellers regardless. Good sellers shouldn’t suffer for them. Voice comms are vital in terms of efficiency and clarity in the design field. For gigs that consist of “click here, submit simple instructions, get it done”, they aren’t needed. For bigger projects they are essential, even if just to find if we are a good fit for the project or not. It saves time, it decreases cancelations and bad reviews, it increases sale price, etc. All good things for Fiverr.

Bad sellers will be bad sellers regardless. Good sellers shouldn’t suffer for them. Voice comms are vital in terms of efficiency and clarity in the design field. For gigs that consist of “click here, submit simple instructions, get it done”, they aren’t needed. For bigger projects they are essential, even if just to find if we are a good fit for the project or not. It saves time, it decreases cancelations and bad reviews, it increases sale price, etc. All good things for Fiverr.

Very true. And that’s one of the main reasons Fiverr doesn’t allow communication through third-party services.

In business, you don’t throw up your hands and say, well people will game the system anyway, so we won’t bother implementing our own ToS. Fiverr has a major record of not tolerating it. If people want to risk their account, whatever. But respect for the rules and proper business is favored by legitimate buyers.

And hosted video is also a great way to scam someone btw. I could put a scam in the video, then take down the video after the buyer sees it and before Fiverr could see it. Then there’s be no proof of the scam. Why would Fiverr enable that?

Or I could make a video telling a client I’ll do something and then take the video down after not doing what I said I would do. Proof is gone.

What is the point in any party taking any of these risks? Hosted video is not necessary and really unwise.

Very true. And that’s one of the main reasons Fiverr doesn’t allow communication through third-party services.

In business, you don’t throw up your hands and say, well people will game the system anyway, so we won’t bother implementing our own ToS. Fiverr has a major record of not tolerating it. If people want to risk their account, whatever. But respect for the rules and proper business is favored by legitimate buyers.

And hosted video is also a great way to scam someone btw. I could put a scam in the video, then take down the video after the buyer sees it and before Fiverr could see it. Then there’s be no proof of the scam. Why would Fiverr enable that?

Or I could make a video telling a client I’ll do something and then take the video down after not doing what I said I would do. Proof is gone.

What is the point in any party taking any of these risks? Hosted video is not necessary and really unwise.

I agree that hosted video is not particularly useful in most cases, voice communication is much better. However, I can see some edge cases where it is indeed useful and legitimate. I really wish Fiverr implements a voice call/screen share feature for those of us who have to communicate with buyers prior to starting orders.

I agree that hosted video is not particularly useful in most cases, voice communication is much better. However, I can see some edge cases where it is indeed useful and legitimate. I really wish Fiverr implements a voice call/screen share feature for those of us who have to communicate with buyers prior to starting orders.

That would indeed be handy and would probably curb some nefarious behaviour.

That would indeed be handy and would probably curb some nefarious behaviour.

That and upping delivery size limits. I deliver through filemail since it allows up to 50gb without an account, so no personal information is shared - but the transfer disappears after 7 days. However, to deliver through dropbox/google drive, you are indeed giving the buyer access to your e-mail on those services, so it’s even worse.

So, to deliver, I have to kinda break the terms of service once (delivering just a link on the submission form), and then a second time (either by providing a transfer that will expire with no proof or an e-mail address linked to a service). To add insult to injury, in both these cases I’m not protected by the automatic watermark, so if the client can get them to cancel, he gets the final files for nothing.

I don’t want to go around breaking rules for the sake of it. It’s not nice. But when no other choices are available to be able to do good work and make Fiverr money, it’s kinda tough.

Yep. Loom isn’t there. I wonder why! Wouldn’t it be great if people looked this up themselves instead of asking us here?

We know because we looked it up. They can, too.

Yet TeamViewer is, and allows two way communication. Fiverr’s TOS are incredibly inconsistent and not well thought out.

That and upping delivery size limits. I deliver through filemail since it allows up to 50gb without an account, so no personal information is shared - but the transfer disappears after 7 days. However, to deliver through dropbox/google drive, you are indeed giving the buyer access to your e-mail on those services, so it’s even worse.

So, to deliver, I have to kinda break the terms of service once (delivering just a link on the submission form), and then a second time (either by providing a transfer that will expire with no proof or an e-mail address linked to a service). To add insult to injury, in both these cases I’m not protected by the automatic watermark, so if the client can get them to cancel, he gets the final files for nothing.

I don’t want to go around breaking rules for the sake of it. It’s not nice. But when no other choices are available to be able to do good work and make Fiverr money, it’s kinda tough.

Yes Fiverr is shooting themselves in the foot with that.

That’s weird. They’re asking to get scammed.

Precisely my point - those who want to scam will scam. They may even get away with it for a while, but scammers will eventually get what’s coming to them, regardless of the “rules”. It’s not sustainable.

Those who want to be honest, run the risk of getting strikes even if they never take business outside. But hey, they broke the terms of service because they felt it was needed to provide a quality service and earn fiverr their commission.

And all because the terms of service aren’t transparent, they aren’t consistent, and they don’t make sense. I’ve seen the same situation handled in totally different ways by CS multiple times. I’ve seen cryptic messages, copy paste jobs, etc. It’s not good for the platform, for the buyers or for the sellers.

I say, be honest. If you need to have a call with a client, and if all business is done through Fiverr and you refuse to ever get paid outside the platform, you aren’t doing anything wrong. Yes, you will run a risk - but that’s on Fiverr. You haven’t done anything wrong as far as I can see.

Fiverr can easily fix that, btw, by providing a way to do all that inside the platform. To reduce “spam”, maybe make it available for levelled sellers only, or above a certain level? Surely sellers with a lot of reviews and good profiles won’t want to ruin them with spam. Is Fiverr really worried Top Rated or Pro sellers will try to take business outside the platform and risk their accounts just because they need to have a call? I honestly hope not. It’s very demeaning to those who, according to Fiverr, are talented and trusted.

I’m waiting.

I pulled this out of the Terms of Service (I replaced the name of one service, obviously):

• To protect our users’ privacy, user identities are kept anonymous. Requesting or providing Email addresses, [Microsoft’s horrible communication platform that hardly ever works properly]/IM usernames, telephone numbers or any other personal contact details to communicate outside of Fiverr in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted.
  • Any necessary exchange of personal information required to continue a service may be exchanged within the Order Page.

So, if it’s necessary to complete the order or perform the work, you’re allowed to share contact information. It’s written, right there in the ToS.

Archived