Buyers misusing my packages. Looking for suggestions

hamiltonbelk

Hello,

I’m having an issue in which buyers fairly often order my basic package for a job that belongs in my premium package. I write “PLEASE CONTACT BEFORE ORDERING” in bold at the top of my gig, and I try to make the packages as clear as I can, yet some buyers aren’t thorough or don’t care. Some buyers agree to pay the premium total, but some refuse, and then I’m stuck with a dilemma: Complete the order and earn 20% of what I deserve, or cancel the order, and hurt my gig with a cancellation.

I’m wondering if any one is interested in taking a look at my gig to find ways I can reduce the amount that this happens. Here is the gig: https://www.fiverr.com/hamiltonbelk/pedal-steel-guitar-overdubs

Some more details. I offer overdub recordings. My basic package is for a piece of music that is 30 seconds or less. My premium tier is for a song that is over two minutes in length. This is regardless of how much of the song I perform on, and I try to make that clear through the language of my gig. My reason for pricing it this way is to approximate how I get paid in the studio. Also, if I’m getting involved in a song that is over two minutes in length, it’s most likely that I’m getting involved with a project that has serious expectations.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Best,
Hamilton

If I was you, I’d bump your minimum price up to $50. You are obviously very talented and you already have lots of fantastic reviews.

That said. I’m not raising prices right now because I don’t want to scare away regular buyers. If people buy your service as a one-off, I’d say raise prices. However, if you depend on repeat buyers, maybe wait for someone to offer some better advice.

Either way, nice work!

I find the cheapest clients are the ones least likely to read and follow instructions, so I’d definitely increase your prices.

I’d also remove unlimited revisions from your Premium gig. Problematic buyers look for that and will buy what they want to pay and expect a scope that isn’t included.

Maybe you could also try offering fewer features in your Basic package.

Finally if you find you keep getting clients who want more minutes, why not increase the minutes and prices for all your packages?

I find the cheapest clients are the ones least likely to read and follow instructions, so I’d definitely increase your prices.

I’d also remove unlimited revisions from your Premium gig. Problematic buyers look for that and will buy what they want to pay and expect a scope that isn’t included.

Maybe you could also try offering fewer features in your Basic package.

Finally if you find you keep getting clients who want more minutes, why not increase the minutes and prices for all your packages?

I have found that out about clients as well. To the point about unlimited revisions- I’ve never had a client even come anywhere close to abusing this offer. I feel like it’s a way that I can sort of stand behind what I offer.

I would really like to raise my prices but I worry about losing volume. I’ll certainly think about it though. Perhaps I’ll try what you said and really scale down my basic package.

Thanks so much for the advice!

If I was you, I’d bump your minimum price up to $50. You are obviously very talented and you already have lots of fantastic reviews.

That said. I’m not raising prices right now because I don’t want to scare away regular buyers. If people buy your service as a one-off, I’d say raise prices. However, if you depend on repeat buyers, maybe wait for someone to offer some better advice.

Either way, nice work!

I have my basic package set so low because most of the other pedal steel guitarists. have similarly low prices for their basic package. I worry that if mine is set too high, potential clients will skip over me. Do you think that’s a mistake?

I have found that out about clients as well. To the point about unlimited revisions- I’ve never had a client even come anywhere close to abusing this offer. I feel like it’s a way that I can sort of stand behind what I offer.

I would really like to raise my prices but I worry about losing volume. I’ll certainly think about it though. Perhaps I’ll try what you said and really scale down my basic package.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Re losing volume: it’s much better to have few properly-priced sales than sell a lot of underpriced sales. I’d rather work a job that paid well for great hours than work a job that paid poorly for more hours.

Plus, on top of the work itself, every order comes with administration and project management. You need to account and compensate yourself for that.

Re not having experience with abuse of the “Unlimited Revisions” – I wouldn’t be so sure. Many of the sketchy people who found you and tried to get you to do more work unpaid or least failed to read instructions – probably felt they could get away with it because one of your gigs has Unlimited Revisions. They may have even filtered results to get sellers who offer that. And Fiverr can’t protect you at all if you have a buyer who abuses the revision button.

Perception dictates who you attract and who you deflect and what each expects from you.

Archived