Fiverr takes 20% of our tips!

raybiddle

It exists so the sellers do not abuse the system. Have $100 project. Have buyer order $5 and receive $95 in tip. That’s why all transactions have 20% deduction no matter where they come from. I get your frustration, I really do, but looking at it from Fiverr’s perspective also makes sense.

It’s stealing. I never do a gig expecting a tip and I am gracious when I get one. The nickle and dime BS will eventually kill this site. I hope the CEO gets***************.

Mod Note: inappropriate texts removed.

Isn’t this overreacting however? @artistshop said it pretty well, if you want to be unhappy, you should be unhappy because people try to game the system. It’s not stealing, it’s their regular charge. And it’s their platform, they can charge tips 50% if they want to. We either use the system or we don’t. I am ok with that, it keeps the marketplace fair and away from buyers that would pay $5 for $100 worth of work and then they say they will tip you the rest. Only in the end, you just get paid $5 and they go away with your work.

I wish we did get 100% of our tips but the fact of the matter is, if the rule didn’t exist Fiverr wouldn’t make any money due to people gaming the system. This would in turn make them go out of business and they would shut down the site, which would lead to us not having a platform where we can keep 80% of our earnings.

I can see the gaming the system thing, really I can. I don’t rely on the tips and it’s nice to get them. I still think the CEO should think about changing it. Maybe the tips that the system steals could be used for a charity. if that’s happens I will retract my chronic jock itch comment.

I can see the gaming the system thing, really I can. I don’t rely on the tips and it’s nice to get them. I still think the CEO should think about changing it. Maybe the tips that the system steals could be used for a charity. if that’s happens I will retract my chronic jock itch comment.

Which charity would all freelancers from 180+ countries be happy to see the money go to?

If it’s not you wishing jock itch on the CEO, it will be someone else…

Anyway, I guess when Fiverr is actually a profitable company, I could be a little more indignant about the tip thing but until then I just hope they continue to promote the site and improve things.

Which charity would all freelancers from 180+ countries be happy to see the money go to?

If it’s not you wishing jock itch on the CEO, it will be someone else…

Anyway, I guess when Fiverr is actually a profitable company, I could be a little more indignant about the tip thing but until then I just hope they continue to promote the site and improve things.

The CEO picks the charity. As long as it doesn’t go in their pocket.

The CEO picks the charity. As long as it doesn’t go in their pocket.

Nah, I’d imagine I’d have differences of opinion with him on that. I’d prefer if it kept being put back into the company instead.

In fact, if it did go to a charity I wasn’t a fan of, I’d probably come here and rant about it every time I got a tip.

I wonder why they don’t treat tips as an extra and instead treat them like a new order with the service fee. It’s apparent to me they made more money on tips, by getting many more people who tipped, before they put a service fee on them.

I used to get tips on about one third of my orders and now it’s become much less usual.

I wonder why they don’t treat tips as an extra and instead treat them like a new order with the service fee. It’s apparent to me they made more money on tips, by getting many more people who tipped, before they put a service fee on them.

I used to get tips on about one third of my orders and now it’s become much less usual.

They must be in financial trouble.

I agree Fiverr shouldn’t charge a fee on tips. And they wouldn’t, if a lot of sellers weren’t the abismal quality they are. The argument that “oh, but if they didn’t charge on tips, people would be paid in tips to avoid the fees” only applies to sellers who don’t know what they are doing - a client is never forced to leave a tip, so anybody doing that kind of shady deal would just get burned and the buyers would get everything done for next to free. I would NEVER work under the promise of future tips. Makes no sense.

A tip is an extra, and is not part of the order price. Therefore no fees should be paid on them.

It’s stealing. I never do a gig expecting a tip and I am gracious when I get one. The nickle and dime BS will eventually kill this site. I hope the CEO gets***************.

Mod Note: inappropriate texts removed.

I think you can’t blame on their procedures. They created the platform, they make rules. If you don’t like something, you can leave Fiverr and try another platform which does align with your requirement. Of course you can suggest things, but this is not the way you do it. 🙂

I hope the CEO gets chronic jock itch.

The 80% of tips is fine, it’s the service fee buyers have to pay on them that discourages them from leaving tips.

If I bought a gig and I was pleased with what I received, I’m sure I will gleefully click on the “tip the seller,” button. While I am more than willing to tip the person, Fiverr charging me for the service fee of the tip ( when they are taking 20% of the tip already) will make me cringe for a few seconds for sure.

I am VERY thankful that many of my buyers still decided to tip me.

I think you can’t blame on their procedures. They created the platform, they make rules. If you don’t like something, you can leave Fiverr and try another platform which does align with your requirement. Of course you can suggest things, but this is not the way you do it. 🙂

I hope the CEO gets chronic jock itch.

Working on it. Thanks for taking time to express your opinion.

Fiverr charges commission on tips to make sure there is no abuse of the system. Abuse could prevent Fiverr from utilizing funds to make the site better. See:

http://forum.fiverr.com/t/why-does-fiverr-charge-20-commission-on-tips

Everyone knows that’s the reason they give, but that reason doesn’t make sense. No serious seller would work for promised tips because they are not enforceable - the buyer could just get the work and then don’t tip. The entire idea behind Fiverr is to act as an escrow. Working for promised tips defeats that purpose. I say let the dumb sellers work for tips and get burned again and again.

Archived