A buyer ordered a 1750 word voiceover for the price of a 350 word voiceover

joshvoices4you

Hey all - I’ve been doing voiceovers for about a year now, and for the most part I haven’t had that many issues with buyers, some crack pots here and there but usually no issues, and most buyers are super friendly and kind.
Today I got an order from a buyer for a 350 word voiceover, which is simply 5$ at my current rate. I thought nothing of it until I went to record it later today after lunch, and found out it was actually 1729 words. I messaged the buyer and essentially said
" Hey there, thanks for the order - my rate is 5$ for 350 words, therefore your script would actually be 25$ in total, not just 5$ - your script is 1729 words so I added an extra for 20$ which would bring the total to 25$, thanks for your help!"
I then suggested an additional 20$ extra which would bring the total to 25$, the actual price the voiceover should be at for 1729 words.
I saw the buyer come online, and then went back offline after what I can only assume was him snickering at the fact that they are going to make my day crappy.
I’ll be patient for another couple hours, but I’m gonna start getting mad when the voiceover timer runs down, and I’m sure CS won’t do anything but recommend a cancellation, something I have had zero of my entire time on fiverr.
Have you ever had this happen?

• Joshvoices4you

I had a 10,000 word translation ordered on a $5 gig.
Same as you, I sent the offer for the right amount (Approx $250).
They paid it the following day and said “It did sound a bit cheap when I was ordering”.

You might find that the buyer got your message on their phone, read it and will order it on desktop when they are home/ready etc. I wouldn’t panic about it as yet.

If you tell customer support of the situation they may cancel it for you without penalty. Hopefully eoin is correct and he simply made a mistake. I’m not sure how often it happens though that it was a mistake.

It has more often than not been a mistake for me, or they have at least paid in the end.

Won’t that mess up my cancellation rate though?

Well it depends how many orders you usually have. If you had 4 orders in the past 2 months, then yes, it will have a major impact. But if you had 100 orders in the past 2 months… then obviously the impact is lower. Regardless, as long as you cancel, the cancellation will affect you. How much it will affect you will depend on how many orders you had throughout the past 60 days.

Well it depends how many orders you usually have. If you had 4 orders in the past 2 months, then yes, it will have a major impact. But if you had 100 orders in the past 2 months… then obviously the impact is lower. Regardless, as long as you cancel, the cancellation will affect you. How much it will affect you will depend on how many orders you had throughout the past 60 days.

Thanks for the response, but why should I be affected for something I didn’t cause? I’ve had about 20 orders in the past 2 months give or take 5 - This buyer never even contacted me before hand. It seems like fiverr just doesn’t give a rat’s behind about sellers, we bring them clients, and they get a 20% commission, we’re essentially paying them!

Thanks for the response, but why should I be affected for something I didn’t cause? I’ve had about 20 orders in the past 2 months give or take 5 - This buyer never even contacted me before hand. It seems like fiverr just doesn’t give a rat’s behind about sellers, we bring them clients, and they get a 20% commission, we’re essentially paying them!

It seems like fiverr just doesn’t give a rat’s behind about sellers, we bring them clients, and they get a 20% commission, we’re essentially paying them!

I am not sure how you are bringing them clients, most likely people find you because Fiverr advertises your service in their search. That costs a lot of money, if you go to Google AdWords you will find out just how expensive marketing is. Fiverr does that for you, and I am sure others will agree it’s more than 20% of your income.

As for your issue. I’ve been a seller here for more than 6 years, I had to deal with a lot of people that placed huge orders or orders regarding stuff I don’t cover, then I have to cancel those orders. These things happen, that’s why you want to be respectful to the client and see if you can work things out.

All the suggestions made here by others are spot on. Either wait another few hours to see if the buyer pays the extra, request a mutual cancellation, or approach Customer Support. Based on my experience and what others say, it could take a day or two for them to respond. However, if you can clearly demonstrate that your gig states X and the buyer only paid for Y, then CS should hopefully resolve the issue without affecting your completion rate.

Did you use the Resolution Center to send him a note that he needed to pay an additional $20? If you have not used the Resolution Center in order to dispute the order as it stands, do that - that may get the buyer’s attention over sending a message with an additional $20 charge.

And, yes, if you choose to cancel because you do not want to do $20 worth of free work, it will impact your cancellation ratio. Depending on how many orders you do every 60 days, this can either be just a ding in your ratio or can hit you hard. You can try to go through Customer Service and tell them the situation if you do need to cancel it and ask if they can cancel it without it affecting your cancellation ratio - especially since this buyer clearly did not read or is trying to slip one in there!

GG

Archived