Horribly miscalculated project time

muhammad201a

Hi, I’m working on a data entry project for the last few days but after working 2-3 hours, I realized that I’ve horribly miscalculated the time it’d take me to complete the project. At first, I thought it can be done in 9 hours, but after working on it for 2-3 hours, I’ve realized that it’ll take the double amount of time.

I know that it’s totally my fault, should’ve given more thought in calculating the time. But I’ve messed up big time now. What do I do? How do I ask the buyer politely that I’ve messed up and need extra time + money? Can I do that and still look professional? Although it was so not-so-professional mistake 😦

I’d ask the buyer for more time if you need it and explain the issue to them. I don’t really think you should ask for more money if you agreed to do a set amount of work before the order was made - that might be against the rules.

Maybe there’s a way to speed it up/automate some of it.

I’d ask the buyer for more time if you need it and explain the issue to them. I don’t really think you should ask for more money if you agreed to do a set amount of work before the order was made - that might be against the rules.

We agreed to work on hourly-bases. Is this still against the rules? I told him that it will take around 9 hours to complete the job.

Nope, it’s complex, so no chance of automating it. 😦

We agreed to work on hourly-bases. Is this still against the rules? I told him that it will take around 9 hours to complete the job.

Nope, it’s complex, so no chance of automating it. 😦

If you said you’d do x hours of work for him and you do x hours of work, that’s no problem.

If you’d said you will enter x lines of data for y amount of money but then ask for more to do it that’s probably against the rules. It depends whatever you put in any offer or gig description.

You could cancel if needed too. Or just ask to extend the delivery time.

If you said you’d do x hours of work for him and you do x hours of work, that’s no problem.

If you’d said you will enter x lines of data for y amount of money but then ask for more to do it that’s probably against the rules. It depends whatever you put in any offer or gig description.

You could cancel if needed too. Or just ask to extend the delivery time.

It was a custom order, anything wasn’t mentioned in the offer. But I told him that it’ll take around 9 hours for me to complete and I’ll do this for x amount of money. He agreed.

Now I wanted to ask that is it good if I asked him for more money and explain the reason behind it.

Or just ask to extend the delivery time.

Time won’t be a problem, he isn’t in a hurry. He will extend it happily.

It was a custom order, anything wasn’t mentioned in the offer. But I told him that it’ll take around 9 hours for me to complete and I’ll do this for x amount of money. He agreed.

Now I wanted to ask that is it good if I asked him for more money and explain the reason behind it.

Or just ask to extend the delivery time.

Time won’t be a problem, he isn’t in a hurry. He will extend it happily.

and I’ll do this for x amount of money. He agreed.

The problem is you told him “I’ll do this for x amount of money”. If you can no longer do it for x amount of money and you said you would (because you now realise how much work is involved) maybe requesting to cancel might be better if you don’t want to do the work for the orignally requested amount of money but with an extended deadline.

See:

https://www.fiverr.com/community/standards

In the Integrity… section where it says:

Do not…

Raise the price of your Gig service in personal messages before or after purchase.

Bait-and-switch marketing is not acceptable.

So I don’t know if you’d get in trouble for something like that if you asked him for more money than what you’d already agreed and sent the offer for.

and I’ll do this for x amount of money. He agreed.

The problem is you told him “I’ll do this for x amount of money”. If you can no longer do it for x amount of money and you said you would (because you now realise how much work is involved) maybe requesting to cancel might be better if you don’t want to do the work for the orignally requested amount of money but with an extended deadline.

See:

https://www.fiverr.com/community/standards

In the Integrity… section where it says:

Do not…

Raise the price of your Gig service in personal messages before or after purchase.

Bait-and-switch marketing is not acceptable.

So I don’t know if you’d get in trouble for something like that if you asked him for more money than what you’d already agreed and sent the offer for.

I get it, thank you for your help.

Archived