Promoted Gigs 2: The SERP destroyer returns

frank_d

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So lets say I have a perfectly designed gig, the best description ever, well targeted niche, I have done “SEO” as they say, properly, have a bunch of 5* reviews and everything is fine, I just don’t want to buy “views” or “clicks”

If the guy who has a disastrously prepared gig and no reviews gets above me in the search results only by paying, then it is like fiver is shooting a bullet in their own leg. I don’t see the point.

I hope that doesn’t happen, not for us sellers, not for them. Everyone loses.

Just a thought.

This won’t work, seller who pay just lying to themselves this will bring them sales.

Instead it just messed up with the great gig which deserve show at the top / 1st row, buyer end up purchased low quality gig and blame the platform.

This won’t work, seller who pay just lying to themselves this will bring them sales.

I can say that this will be the case for certain.

I used to use a platform that already lets you pay for exposure. A few years ago, I used to be able to pay for a 3 or 5 day promotion and I was guaranteed to get sales from doing so.

Last year, I tried using the same strategy. (As I hadn’t had an organic sale for months.) I spent around $150 for two weeks of staggered promotions. From this, I didn’t get a single sale or message. Then I realized that all the first pages of search results on that site are ‘featured listings.’ i.e. Everyone pays (and pays more than you) to get better exposure.

In most cases, these people are also resellers who farm out work to underlings who charge peanuts. I know this, as whenever I do get orders on that platform, they are always from other writers, etc. - (Not that I work there anymore.)

That might sound like a money-spinner for that platform. However, it’s really not. They had major cash flow problems a year or so ago and couldn’t actually pay some sellers for a few weeks.

Healthy discussion here folks! Lot of great and valid points. I’d like to add one: Consider yourself a buyer. You log on to the website. Search for ‘logo design’ and what you get in top search results are promoted gigs which offer no way near the quality the actual top gigs do but paid gigs get the priority. You buy from them. You are furious at the result. Your experience isn’t something you’d like to go through again. Not only you’d end up NOT using this platform but will also spread negative word of mouth.

My take on the matter is that this will lower the quality of service and will hurt the market for the sellers and buyers alike. And so like you all, I don’t see this idea succeeding. Let’s see then…

So lets say I have a perfectly designed gig, the best description ever, well targeted niche, I have done “SEO” as they say, properly, have a bunch of 5* reviews and everything is fine, I just don’t want to buy “views” or “clicks”

If the guy who has a disastrously prepared gig and no reviews gets above me in the search results only by paying, then it is like fiver is shooting a bullet in their own leg. I don’t see the point.

I hope that doesn’t happen, not for us sellers, not for them. Everyone loses.

Just a thought.

Exactly what i am saying.

Why tell us to optimize our gig and do all everything required only for someone to pay and get ahead of the pack.

Fiverr said we should promote our gigs on social media and through doing that our gigs will get clicks and as a result our gigs get to the top the niche.

Fiverr always encouraged social media sharing of our gigs to get more traffic.

It never went into the trouble of teaching people how not to spam or how to target efficiently. As a result most people just posted their gig on their personal profile, getting views just from their friends and family.

Just to clarify, Fiverr never said that getting clicks via social media would get you to the “top of your niche”. You must have misunderstood.

I think you missed the point.

Fiverr encourages sellers to share their gigs on social media. (Whether it is done right or not is another matter)

What is the essence of sharing the gig on social media?

So you are saying they will charge to target efficiently.

Twitter, Facebook and the rest charge for targeted ads, i just hope the fees fiverr will collect is not used to pay Twitter, Facebook and the rest for targeted ads.

I think you missed the point.

Fiverr encourages sellers to share their gigs on social media. (Whether it is done right or not is another matter)

What is the essence of sharing the gig on social media?

So you are saying they will charge to target efficiently.

Twitter, Facebook and the rest charge for targeted ads, i just hope the fees fiverr will collect is not used to pay Twitter, Facebook and the rest for targeted ads.

Whether it is done right or not is another matter)

No, he didn’t miss a point.

Fiverr doesn’t have to tell you that you shouldn’t be breaking rules of other platforms when “sharing gigs”. They are encouraging you TO DO things but they don’t have to tell you every time that you shouldn’t break rules when doing them. That goes automatically even without saying it.

Spamming is not only “not the right way” but also breaking rules and a lot of social medias like linkedin already blocked all links with fiver URL from posting. That’s obviously not the situation that fiverr wanted to find themselves in.

Whether it is done right or not is another matter)

No, he didn’t miss a point.

Fiverr doesn’t have to tell you that you shouldn’t be breaking rules of other platforms when “sharing gigs”. They are encouraging you TO DO things but they don’t have to tell you every time that you shouldn’t break rules when doing them. That goes automatically even without saying it.

Spamming is not only “not the right way” but also breaking rules and a lot of social medias like linkedin already blocked all links with fiver URL from posting. That’s obviously not the situation that fiverr wanted to find themselves in.

But at no time did i talk about spamming or breaking rules.

You have avoided the point i made and is talking of something else.

Fiverr gives us an option to share our gigs on social media. I am not talking about those that misuse that option.

I am talking about people that use it the right way not spammers.

But at no time did i talk about spamming or breaking rules.

You have avoided the point i made and is talking of something else.

Fiverr gives us an option to share our gigs on social media. I am not talking about those that misuse that option.

I am talking about people that use it the right way not spammers.

You have avoided the point i made

To be honest, I can’t see a “point” that you made in any of your comment. I guess it’s a language barrier.

But you can try again to sum up what are you trying to say and what is your point here.

You have avoided the point i made

To be honest, I can’t see a “point” that you made in any of your comment. I guess it’s a language barrier.

But you can try again to sum up what are you trying to say and what is your point here.

Fiverr encourages sellers to share their gigs on social media. Fiverr says this will help to improve sales.

Now fiverr is about to introduce a service where sellers are to pay for fiverr to promote sellers gigs.

Fiverr encourages sellers to share their gigs on social media. Fiverr says this will help to improve sales.

Now fiverr is about to introduce a service where sellers are to pay for fiverr to promote sellers gigs.

There’s no connection between those two things. One thing is to share your gigs on social media (why would you do this, when you can share your website and deal directly with clients and not pay Fiverr 20%?). Another is to pay Fiverr to get better placement on search results.

Still, what is your point?

For now you stated only two facts. That doesn’t have connection with each other. And the first fact is only somewhat true.

You seem to keep comparing apples to oranges.

The social media sharing links work as if you were talking to your friends about your work in a cafe where other people may eavesdrop on the conversation.

Fiverr new promoted gig features would work as if you were paying to have your ad shown on a billboard right by Buyers avenue.

Hope that makes sense.

You seem to keep comparing apples to oranges.

The social media sharing links work as if you were talking to your friends about your work in a cafe where other people may eavesdrop on the conversation.

Fiverr new promoted gig features would work as if you were paying to have your ad shown on a billboard right by Buyers avenue.

Hope that makes sense.

To share gigs on social media does not mean to share it among friends and family or followers on social media or spamming.

As a seller and someone that sees their gig as a business, it is expected that a seller should conduct a market research and analysis. The result from the research and analysis will give the seller a breakdown of the market/industry they operate in and also the consumer/customer behavior.

The result of the research will enable the seller to know where people that need their services spend most of their time and which social media platform these potential clients use often.

Based on this information the seller is expected to promote their gigs to those groups they have identified. It is expected that these potential buyers will come to your gig to make a purchase.

Now with Fiverr promoted gigs, if i understand it well. Fiverr has done the market segmentation and demographic breakdown and now asking sellers to pay so that their gigs will be promoted to these groups.

So what i am saying or the question that i am asking is what happens to sellers that have done the research on their own and are promoting their gigs to the right clients?

Fiverr rewards sellers that bring clients to fiverr through their gig link by putting those gigs at the top of their niche. Will that continue?

To share gigs on social media does not mean to share it among friends and family or followers on social media or spamming.

As a seller and someone that sees their gig as a business, it is expected that a seller should conduct a market research and analysis. The result from the research and analysis will give the seller a breakdown of the market/industry they operate in and also the consumer/customer behavior.

The result of the research will enable the seller to know where people that need their services spend most of their time and which social media platform these potential clients use often.

Based on this information the seller is expected to promote their gigs to those groups they have identified. It is expected that these potential buyers will come to your gig to make a purchase.

Now with Fiverr promoted gigs, if i understand it well. Fiverr has done the market segmentation and demographic breakdown and now asking sellers to pay so that their gigs will be promoted to these groups.

So what i am saying or the question that i am asking is what happens to sellers that have done the research on their own and are promoting their gigs to the right clients?

Fiverr rewards sellers that bring clients to fiverr through their gig link by putting those gigs at the top of their niche. Will that continue?

No, that’s wrong. Fiverr promoted gigs are promoted INSIDE the platform. It affects search position. They will NOT be promoted outside in any other channels. You don’t understand it well.

As for sharing your gigs on social media as you outlined above, it just doesn’t make financial sense. If you do all that work, find your clients and relevant groups, etc., why send them to Fiverr and pay Fiverr 20%? Send them directly to your website or platform, and do business without a middleman. Fiverr’s purpose, and what I’m paying them for, is to get me the leads without me having to do anything other than set up a storefront. If I’m doing marketing, I’ll do it for direct sales, not to send people to a platform.

OK let’s break it down:

Why are you complaining about a feature you have yet to see and understand how it works?

Is your argument that you are doing your marketing research and sellers who don’t shouldn’t benefit from a promoted gigs feature?

I honestly don’t get it.

No, that’s wrong. Fiverr promoted gigs are promoted INSIDE the platform. It affects search position. They will NOT be promoted outside in any other channels. You don’t understand it well.

As for sharing your gigs on social media as you outlined above, it just doesn’t make financial sense. If you do all that work, find your clients and relevant groups, etc., why send them to Fiverr and pay Fiverr 20%? Send them directly to your website or platform, and do business without a middleman. Fiverr’s purpose, and what I’m paying them for, is to get me the leads without me having to do anything other than set up a storefront. If I’m doing marketing, I’ll do it for direct sales, not to send people to a platform.

Okay, we are getting somewhere, if it is promoted inside the platform then to whom is it promoted to?

Do you mean “Promoted to top of Niche” and not “Promoted” as used in marketing.

OK let’s break it down:

Why are you complaining about a feature you have yet to see and understand how it works?

Is your argument that you are doing your marketing research and sellers who don’t shouldn’t benefit from a promoted gigs feature?

I honestly don’t get it.

I am not arguing, i am asking a question.

I think the problem is with the word “Promoted”

Does “Fiverr promoted gigs” mean promoted to the top of the page. Or does it mean

Promotion as in marketing, advertisement.

You have a valid point here.

I am not arguing, i am asking a question.

I think the problem is with the word “Promoted”

Does “Fiverr promoted gigs” mean promoted to the top of the page. Or does it mean

Promotion as in marketing, advertisement.

OK so let me explain:

You will set an amount per click and a daily spending limit and fiverr will promote your gig to buyers within the platform.

(Did you not watch the explainer video linked above? It actually shows how everything works)

Essentially it works like google ads.

People search for pineapples and if you sell pineapples and use Fiverr’s new feature your gig will be presented before anyone else’s with a small indicator on your gig image, signifying that it’s a paid search result.

So if your gig is now positioned very low in search results and you can’t “get it to rank” as people keep saying, you can now pay to rise to the top.

You will be charged for every click your gig gets.

There’s no connection between those two things. One thing is to share your gigs on social media (why would you do this, when you can share your website and deal directly with clients and not pay Fiverr 20%?). Another is to pay Fiverr to get better placement on search results.

(why would you do this, when you can share your website and deal directly with clients and not pay Fiverr 20%?)

Aaaand that’s precisely the question that flashes in my head every time promoting via social media gets mentioned.

(why would you do this, when you can share your website and deal directly with clients and not pay Fiverr 20%?)

Aaaand that’s precisely the question that flashes in my head every time promoting via social media gets mentioned.

Well not everyone has a website or the ability to receive online payments, facilitate orders,

etc.

So those people will always be tied to one platform or another.

How those people don’t use the BYOB feature is the real puzzler.

Well not everyone has a website or the ability to receive online payments, facilitate orders,

etc.

So those people will always be tied to one platform or another.

How those people don’t use the BYOB feature is the real puzzler.

There is probably a certain sense of security that comes with a platform as well. I found that I had more casual scam attempts and price disputes on fiverr than I’ve ever had on my own, though. Maybe it’s easier to lean into the false sense of security and everything being taken care of so the guard goes down a little.

The main selling point of fiverr for me was and still is that it makes buyers come to me, not the other way around. With that gone (or significantly reduced) I’d go hunt for bigger and more boring projects elsewhere.

It’s a bit heartbreaking that after so many efforts of putting quality first to change fiverr’s image this seems to be a big step back. At least this is how it looks.

OK so let me explain:

You will set an amount per click and a daily spending limit and fiverr will promote your gig to buyers within the platform.

(Did you not watch the explainer video linked above? It actually shows how everything works)

Essentially it works like google ads.

People search for pineapples and if you sell pineapples and use Fiverr’s new feature your gig will be presented before anyone else’s with a small indicator on your gig image, signifying that it’s a paid search result.

So if your gig is now positioned very low in search results and you can’t “get it to rank” as people keep saying, you can now pay to rise to the top.

You will be charged for every click your gig gets.

Thank you so much it is clear to me now.

All the while i was thinking it was about promoting (Marketing, advertising) gigs outside of Fiverr.

I remember on Amazon i see gigs that are labelled “Paid for” or “Promoted”.

Archived