Creating Gig in England, but price categories in US Dollars. Doesn't seem logical

ukbritishvoice

Hello helpful People.

I am in the process of creating a Voice over Gig. I find it very, very strange that the creator of a Gig who lives in Britain, like me, finds everything in the Pricing section has to be listed in US Dollars. It’s especially strange because when the Gig is actually active, then people looking at it from Britain will instead see the amounts in GBP (British £)!

It just makes it so much more difficult for a British creator, like me, to have to think in dollars - which I don’t use and therefore don’t know the value of - all the time all through the Gig creation. It seems illogical.

Have others had this experience? Anyway, does anyone know whether it would be any different if I had started creating the gig at www.fiverr.co.uk NOT www.fiverr.com.

Because I started creating at www.fiverr.com maybe that’s why the US Dollars thing is happening??

Would it be the same if I create at the British Fiverr site www.fiverr.co.uk??? Or would it be exactly the same?

Thanks People,

Declan

• Like 4

Hello helpful People.

I am in the process of creating a Voice over Gig. I find it very, very strange that the creator of a Gig who lives in Britain, like me, finds everything in the Pricing section has to be listed in US Dollars. It’s especially strange because when the Gig is actually active, then people looking at it from Britain will instead see the amounts in GBP (British £)!

It just makes it so much more difficult for a British creator, like me, to have to think in dollars - which I don’t use and therefore don’t know the value of - all the time all through the Gig creation. It seems illogical.

Have others had this experience? Anyway, does anyone know whether it would be any different if I had started creating the gig at www.fiverr.co.uk NOT www.fiverr.com.

Because I started creating at www.fiverr.com maybe that’s why the US Dollars thing is happening??

Would it be the same if I create at the British Fiverr site www.fiverr.co.uk??? Or would it be exactly the same?

Thanks People,

Declan

It just makes it so much more difficult for a British creator, like me, to have to think in dollars

It’s not that difficult to be honest :woman_shrugging: (And I speak it from my own experience as I lived in London) and to be honest doesn’t matter if you are British or from any other country. Pound right now is almost the same as dollar unlike many other countries.

(Eg you can not convert pound directly to some currencies, it will have to be converted to dollars firs and after that to that local currency. Where every currency can be converted to dollars directly)

Have others had this experience?

Everyone 😉

Fiverr is an international platform and till last year all transactions where happening only in dollars. Dollar is a universal most used currency which is accepted and converted in each and every country.

The price that buyers can see in pounds on your gig is only an estimation. Their transaction will still happen in dollars with a conversion to pounds.

Only a couple of months back they also implemented that you can withdraw money in your local currency instead of dollars but fiverr will also charge you for conversion and you will loose bigger amount than converting it through your bank.

But simply dollar is a currency that recognised everywhere and that’s the base that banks operating with internationally.

• Like 3
  • Up 1

Hi Maria,

Thanks very much for your response. If no-one else finds it a problem, then I am have to accept I am in the minority, and will just have to work with it, I guess.

Personally, I still think it would just make the creation process considerably easier, since clearly the technology exists on the site for the Gig to be created in one currency but seen in another by the viewer. So why not let people create in the currency they are familar with?
Anyway, it’s not the end of the world, and I will get on with it…!

Thanks again! Happy selling!

Declan

• Like 4

Hi Declan,

I find it super frustrating personally, and it’s high up on my list of things I’d like to see Fiverr change.

In the past year, we’ve noticed a huge push in Fiverr promoting the platform outside of the US, particularly here in the UK. We would often see it being advertised on the escalators on the tube, even as recently as a couple of months ago. We’ve always found that about 50% of our business comes from the UK, but recently we’ve noticed that a large percentage of those buyers are brand new to Fiverr, so the marketing seems to be paying off. It’s being seen as a serious work tool here in the UK.

With this in mind, we recently changed all of our $ pricing to be more appealing from a £ perspective (getting as close to rounded £ figures as we can). So long as the currencies don’t fluctuate too much, this means we can say something like “It’s going to cost you $30, or around £25 etc”. But it’s difficult; as I’m sure you’ve found out, you can only use increments of $5, so no matter what you do, it’s never going to be perfect.

Yes, it’s a US system… Yes, the overwhelming majority of buyers are US based. But, as Fiverr look to expand into other markets, they would be wise to give those markets the courtesy of allowing them to use their own local currencies more effectively. US buyers only make up about 20% of our revenue; if given the choice, I’d much rather set rates in £, and then convert to $ for our US customers.

Money talks at the end of the day, and if enough customers suggest to Fiverr that they would like to see more rounded prices in £, then perhaps we as sellers will get that control in the future.

What might be even better, is a feature where sellers set multiple prices, to cover not just dollars, but some of the other major currencies they operate in… Euros, GBP, AUD, CAD etc. And have the site apply the correct pricing based on the buyer. If you go to iTunes to rent a movie here in the UK, you don’t get the $ price converted to £, you get the localised price, for the exact same thing. There’s no reason why it couldn’t work here.

• Like 5

• 2 years later...

Hi Declan,

Totally agree with you, its highly frustrating to price the Gigs in USD when buyers see it in GBP anyway.

Conversion rate is a nightmare as well because Fiverr seems to use a different conversion rate than of Google and that makes it really tricky to get the price right for custom offers, I have had situations of a potential buyer complaining about the price being different from the agreed quotation and take ages to get it right, if they don't want to offer the option to price the gigs in GBP at least provide the currency conversion rate they are using. 

Hopefully Fiverr will see this post and take some meaningful action. 

• Like 1