How much time do you put in on the admin side of fiverr?

Guest matt_garry

Guest matt_garry

so I update my videos on a regular basis and on average I have 10-16 messages for each large sale so I added it up and I spend about 14-16 hours a week just for a chance to make money. Kinda insane how much time do you guys spend?

I really need to start tracking my time. I don’t actually think I spend enough time on the admin side of things. I spend between 6 and 8 hours working, and 4-5 hours of that is spent writing for clients or buyers on here. The other block of time is spent doing residual/passive income stuff, which is starting to make me decent money, so it’s not really doing stuff for free anymore. Admin side of things, maybe 1 hour a day, but it should be more. I need to get out and market a lot more than I do!

Guest matt_garry

Reply to @bachas85: I crunched the numbers and if I don’t I earn about 40% less each month. So I guess if I didn’t need the monthly income I could have a great hourly wage but it would not be enough to live off.

I would love to hear from someone who is not a TRS or Featured. I would be extremely surprised if they could get decent money without doing what I do

I post my gigs on FB and Twitter several times daily. All in all maybe 45 minutes. But this is just a little extra on the side for me. This month I’ve managed to make some $300. Which for me is quit a lot since I’ve only just started and never worked online before.

bachas85 said: I hope your buyers aren't getting spoiled.

Have I read the OP wrong. I thought the "free" work was more the admin side of messages and updating videos. Are you doing actual work for free for the buyers?

matt_garry said: I would love to hear from someone who is not a TRS or Featured. I would be extremely surprised if they could get decent money without doing what I do

I'd also like to say that I had this method of working before becoming a TRS. I was promoted at the end of last year, but have been on the site for almost three years now. I was making a decent amount, especially considering Fiverr has always been an "on the side" thing because I run my own business off-site.

I was under the impression that you were talking about updating stuff, promoting and answering messages though.

Guest matt_garry

I am 100% not doing free work (ever) I guess I should have worded my title differently. I feel if I didn’t get paid fairly I am not only hurting my self but damaging the chances for others.

I just seem to do about 2x the amount of admin stuff as most of the people who commented but I am sure that has to do with the fact that syncing custom made music, adding sound effects ect is just a time consuming thing to explain to someone. it is also time consuming making videos that show off my talent ( I am also super awkward on cam). I generally get hired for larger projects so I am 100% fine with how hard I work It does pay off. I would like to think TRS is something im not to far off from but maybe im jumping the gun 🙂

I believe getting on the front pages is extremely important for the traffic and I am so so lucky that all I have to do is update to get there, most people do not get this benefit or at least are unaware that updating is crucial to staying on top. A good example is this month I did not update because of life but generally I can be 1-5 on both of my subcategory’s permanently, and generally on the first page of audio 1/2 the time.

Guest matt_garry

Reply to @solow13: you mean you don’t believe that updating changes your page ranking?? or do you mean that being on the first pages of categories is not useful? I guess I will give you a screen shot when I update my gig in a day or 2

Matt, I spend a LOT More time on the front end when I discover there’s an admin issue to really test responses , gig descriptions, less on video but some on that… (video testing is hard to do in general and changing small things in videos can make for a 1/2 hour of rendering and uploading)…

Then it gets to the point my system is usually cut and paste automated.

So I spend “too much time” up front to spend “next to no time” long term.

Reply to @matt_garry: If I have to tell you the truth I don’t know what to believe, I read a lot of story about optimizing the gig, keywords, video, but in reality when I use the Fiverr search system something is definitely wrong, my gigs isn’t in the right place some gigs with few reviews are ranked better than mine that has more reviews.

We both work with audio and we know that sound effects are, if you try to search for sound effects you’ll see that in the first positions you find voiceover gigs and not sound effects.

I don’t know how buyers find me I never asked them but I like to know how they find me in the jungle.

I never really did put a thought on this issue until now.

I guess I spend around one hour a day in total doing admin work. The time I spend working depends on the amount of orders I get, but it usually is at somewhere around 2 hours per day.

Lately, I’ve been spending quite a lot of time on the forums as well, so I guess that adds up in a way or another.

Reply to @matt_garry: Good to hear you didn’t mean actually working for free 🙂 Just wanted to clarify before any of us continued under assumptions.

I did make some changes to gigs recently to lower my delivery time after coming back after Christmas and have had a big surge on two of my gigs. I don’t know whether the change pushed my rankings up or whether the delivery time change helped. I’ve not really checked where I am in the searches, if I’m honest. I just take the site as it goes and do the orders when I get them…not a good business thing to do, I know, but I have so much to concentrate on at the moment I simply don’t have the time to worry about things that I can’t fully control. Don’t mean to sound snarky with that–I know how it can come across.

Archived