Are you discovering 💸 price gouging 💸 due to the COVID-19?

Hey, Everyone… Let’s talk about panic buying and money. 💸

I think it’s OK to say that TP is a HOT commodity. 🥴 I’m OK with canned goods and water, but hey that’s just me. I went out shopping to buy TP but was running across a bunch of empty shelves. Grrr! I have a membership at Sam’s club and they were out. Wow! I finally found some at a Target, sheesh! I’m starting to think it’ll be best to stock up on leaves, albeit they are dry. 😁 will be readily available.

Are you experiencing this price gouging in your city, town, country? If yes, what kinds of things are people asking for?

I found this listing online for a 12-pack of toilet paper for a whopping $250. Don’t believe me here’s a screenshot below. Are these people mad?

TPshortagepricegouging.png.b71c3ecd673f9506f884cba8df489faf.png
TPshortagepricegouging828×359 161 KB

This is just ridiculous, people are banking on this pandemic. 🤨

What kinds of things are you having a hard time finding in your country?

• Like 19

Hey, Everyone… Let’s talk about panic buying and money. 💸

I think it’s OK to say that TP is a HOT commodity. 🥴 I’m OK with canned goods and water, but hey that’s just me. I went out shopping to buy TP but was running across a bunch of empty shelves. Grrr! I have a membership at Sam’s club and they were out. Wow! I finally found some at a Target, sheesh! I’m starting to think it’ll be best to stock up on leaves, albeit they are dry. 😁 will be readily available.

Are you experiencing this price gouging in your city, town, country? If yes, what kinds of things are people asking for?

I found this listing online for a 12-pack of toilet paper for a whopping $250. Don’t believe me here’s a screenshot below. Are these people mad?

This is just ridiculous, people are banking on this pandemic. 🤨

Soap, hand gel, toilet roll, a woman who looks good but can cook.

• Like 17

a woman who looks good but can cook.

LOL, soap and a woman? Wow! 😅

I’ve stocked up on the feminine products and other stuff. It’s just mind-boggling how people are panic buying. I went out to buy a few things for the elderly who can’t get around like us younger folk. I think it’s time people start learning how to make these stuff. I learned how to make soap and candles a couple of years back.

• Like 5

I’ve stocked up on the feminine products and other stuff. It’s just mind-boggling how people are panic buying. I went out to buy a few things for the elderly who can’t get around like us younger folk. I think it’s time people start learning how to make these stuff. I learned how to make soap and candles a couple of years back.

It’s entirely possible the lack of soap is what’s stopping me from finding a nice woman!

I went out to buy a few things for the elderly who can’t get around like us younger folk.

That’s really sweet. Kudos. 🙂

Has your uni cancelled classes now?

• Like 5

It’s entirely possible the lack of soap is what’s stopping me from finding a nice woman!

I went out to buy a few things for the elderly who can’t get around like us younger folk.

That’s really sweet. Kudos. 🙂

Sorry, I added the bit about candles and soap making after you replied.

Our Spring break start next week. But after we come back from our break, we’re finishing the semester online. Which is fine with me and it’s the right thing to do. How are you doing across the pond?

• Like 5

Can someone please explain why toilet roll is the must-have commodity of the moment?

If people are lunatics and believe that it is now vital to stockpile toilet roll, can you blame someone from putting the price up?

Hand sanitizer might cost the same per ounce as the Queen of England, but vinegar does the same thing. Every toilet paper factory in the world might get eaten by Godzilla tomorrow, but there are always… Other ways.

And what on Earth are these people planning to eat when the toilet paper runs out?

• Like 4

Can someone please explain why toilet roll is the must-have commodity of the moment?

If people are lunatics and believe that it is now vital to stockpile toilet roll, can you blame someone from putting the price up?

Hand sanitizer might cost the same per ounce as the Queen of England, but vinegar does the same thing. Every toilet paper factory in the world might get eaten by Godzilla tomorrow, but there are always… Other ways.

And what on Earth are these people planning to eat when the toilet paper runs out?

😂

This brings me back to the Doomsday Preppers, I bet they are sitting back laughing at people going mad. While their stockpiles are through the roof. Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to TP. Unless a person has a severe case of diarrhea. 🤢 No idea!

favicon.png.3c57952fab5464c292be2b06b5799096.png MarketWatch
MW-IC256_handsa_ZG_20200314121117.thumb.jpg.db79512a6b887115989b2201b9a91cbf.jpg

Tennessee man sitting on almost 18,000 bottles of hand sanitizer says he’s...

These pandemic profiteers have become internet pariahs. Brothers Matt and Noah Calvin admit in a New York Times interview that they bought up all of the hand...

3sdpty.jpg.b2bb0d9e84cae796f6615b09637e941c.jpg
500×552 50.7 KB
  • Like 4

😂

This brings me back to the Doomsday Preppers, I bet they are sitting back laughing at people going mad. While their stockpiles are through the roof. Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to TP. Unless a person has a severe case of diarrhea. 🤢 No idea!

9ad657c6d659b5bd8515612f27379b1f7db95d17.pngMarketWatch
675f64311a90845f132039b250005e94d4c59366_2_690x387.jpeg

Tennessee man sitting on almost 18,000 bottles of hand sanitizer says he’s...

These pandemic profiteers have become internet pariahs. Brothers Matt and Noah Calvin admit in a New York Times interview that they bought up all of the hand...

This brings me back to the Doomsday Preppers

Well, they did have it right. I’ve actually been waiting for this for a decade. I did always wonder how I would find a way to rule over the last vestiges of the human race. As it turns out, I will just need to pay my future army with the promise of a weekly wet wipe. 😉

• Like 4

I feel like people are making light of the real issue with all of this.

It looks like pubs may be closed IN IRELAND ON ST. PATRICK’S DAY!

This is a never before seen phenomenon and is something which should trouble us all.

Well, a day off is good once in a while. 🙂

At least you don’t have random police spot checks yet. That’s where going to the pub gets really hairy.

• Like 3

It’s just mind-boggling how people are panic buying.

Amen to that! This virus causes respiratory issues. It has nothing to do with the stomach or intestines, for which TP might be useful.

• Like 1

Damn, that’s pretty rough.

Back to the topic on TP though, I have a solution.

Hotels are really cheap at the moment and always give you at least two rolls. Simply book a cheap hotel and you get two rolls for that price. Simples.

Shopping receipts tend to be rather long these days. Perhaps those could serve as alternate TP? 😛

• Like 2

Amen to that! This virus causes respiratory issues. It has nothing to do with the stomach or intestines, for which TP might be useful.

“The usual in-demand stuff” is selling out quickly but seems to get re-stocked regularly enough (apart from anything hand-sanitizer and disinfectant, that’s gone since weeks now, and not back yet despite it’s been said it’s produced here and it would be no issue to restock).

Supposedly, empty shelves are not a shortage but a logistics issue.

Thankfully, however, I haven’t seen any prices going up so far for the things that sell out all the time, apart from that whatever you are looking for, of course, the most expensive brands remain on the shelves the longest, so if you really need to buy tp, not just to hoard, you might be looking at higher prices for the super duper soft luxury tp.

I haven’t seen or heard of shops here placing restrictions on stuff yet either, but I guess that might be coming, to ensure that the people who don’t hoard, can get things too.

Indeed, if you go to the supermarket after 9pm on a Saturday, you won’t see a single pack of tp, I didn’t see any flour or sugar either. Personally, I prefer to stock food that will serve me in any sort of crisis, like no electricity, or light and small enough to throw in a backpack if I have to leave the house (I’ve lived in flood-ridden areas) but yeah.

Many people seem to be afraid that supermarkets/food shops/drugstores will either be closed or not getting re-stocked.

If they wanted to raise prices, they’d surely get away with it practically, people who could would still buy, but I think they’d be told no by the authorities if they actually did it.

That’s for normal shops, there are the odd “crisis entrepreneurs” who put up hand sanitizer on ebay for high prices, yes.

Prices of things that will become more expensive to produce/transport/provide/keep in quarantine because of the situation obviously might increase sooner or later.

This virus causes respiratory issues. It has nothing to do with the stomach or intestines, for which TP might be useful.

However, something requiring tp is listed as a possible symptom, so that might have to do with the tp hoarding craze 😉

• Like 8

I see the gig selling a few face masks for $100 is gone now but we have ones like this if you search for “face masks”

I will assist in supplying 3 ply face mask with water resistance, earlobe holder

There is a gig selling some sort of Armani watch that comes with a free face mask - $60

Fiver removes ones that attempt to profit off this.

One of the symptoms is indeed intestinal issues.

• Like 1

I bought some essentials yesterday, haven’t noticed price surges yet. In fact, pharmacy workers looked very bored and disinterested when I came in to buy some mineral water. But again, we officially have 3 cases in total so far. The general consensus is that’s because we had 3 tests available and used all of them.

Btw, are you considered a risk group if you have heavy seasonal respiratory allergies? I’m doomed if that’s the case.

• Like 4

This brings me back to the Doomsday Preppers

Well, they did have it right. I’ve actually been waiting for this for a decade. I did always wonder how I would find a way to rule over the last vestiges of the human race. As it turns out, I will just need to pay my future army with the promise of a weekly wet wipe. 😉

As it turns out, I will just need to pay my future army with the promise of a weekly wet wipe. 😉

😂

I was in the process of replying back to you last night, but fell asleep and ended up dreaming about TP, it was a trippy dream. Kinda like the Eminem music video @catwriter shared with me. :crazy_face: If you’re interested in watching on YT it’s called Godzilla 🦕ft. Juice WRLD

😵 I would think people would want to remain sober considering the circumstances.

LOL

-gasp- how are you going to survive? Koolaid, perhaps?

6ef9a35cb6eb2dd1d488a834986a0a85.thumb.jpg.3ccb84fc3eb8b10035998b2e5072033e.jpg
552×828 57.2 KB

Plus many flavors to choose from. :point_down:t4:

c8b09699-95a3-497a-84a3-3768bae6ea6a.thumb.jpg.4adb6d0739a6a94500bb7219daba9292.jpg
1303×960 306 KB
  • Like 1

Hey, Jon!

It’s basically hoarding, I mean other people are still struggling to find TP and paper towel.

Maybe just maybe we should start buying plungers in bulk. 😈

Are-You-Using-the-Right-Plunger.thumb.jpg.008f5dbdeeed016712f9a060919adb7e.jpg
1430×949 12.1 KB

Check out this lady sitting on her throne of TP.

TPthrone.thumb.jpg.4c5ba431c4eeaad8efec2af86a8e8928.jpg
TPthrone1300×975 165 KB

Read the box hehe. 🤭

• Like 7

“The usual in-demand stuff” is selling out quickly but seems to get re-stocked regularly enough (apart from anything hand-sanitizer and disinfectant, that’s gone since weeks now, and not back yet despite it’s been said it’s produced here and it would be no issue to restock).

Supposedly, empty shelves are not a shortage but a logistics issue.

Thankfully, however, I haven’t seen any prices going up so far for the things that sell out all the time, apart from that whatever you are looking for, of course, the most expensive brands remain on the shelves the longest, so if you really need to buy tp, not just to hoard, you might be looking at higher prices for the super duper soft luxury tp.

I haven’t seen or heard of shops here placing restrictions on stuff yet either, but I guess that might be coming, to ensure that the people who don’t hoard, can get things too.

Indeed, if you go to the supermarket after 9pm on a Saturday, you won’t see a single pack of tp, I didn’t see any flour or sugar either. Personally, I prefer to stock food that will serve me in any sort of crisis, like no electricity, or light and small enough to throw in a backpack if I have to leave the house (I’ve lived in flood-ridden areas) but yeah.

Many people seem to be afraid that supermarkets/food shops/drugstores will either be closed or not getting re-stocked.

If they wanted to raise prices, they’d surely get away with it practically, people who could would still buy, but I think they’d be told no by the authorities if they actually did it.

That’s for normal shops, there are the odd “crisis entrepreneurs” who put up hand sanitizer on ebay for high prices, yes.

Prices of things that will become more expensive to produce/transport/provide/keep in quarantine because of the situation obviously might increase sooner or later.

This virus causes respiratory issues. It has nothing to do with the stomach or intestines, for which TP might be useful.

However, something requiring tp is listed as a possible symptom, so that might have to do with the tp hoarding craze 😉

Hey, Mila!

Good for them. :ok_hand:t4:

All store owners should put this policy in place.

True. Amazon cracked down on Sellers doing the same thing, banning those listings. I hopped on the eBay app just to see what people were up to and my mouth literally hit the floor. 😲 eBay also banned the selling of face masks and handsanitizers.

favicon-16.png.950e6ebbdc4a5bbb76620c77718c6413.png CNET
amazon-package.jpg.48121217dca1614c62efeea101ddb26e.jpg

Amazon plans to prosecute sellers for price gouging during coronavirus outbreak

It says it's taken down hundreds of thousands of highly priced products.

Personally, I prefer to stock food that will serve me in any sort of crisis, like no electricity, or light and small enough to throw in a backpack if I have to leave the house (I’ve lived in flood-ridden areas) but yeah.

Same here. I’ve been buying batteries, also bought one of those old-fashioned kerosene lamps and flashlights. A bunch of feminine products, too. Aunt Flo is ruthless! 😬

I see the gig selling a few face masks for $100 is gone now but we have ones like this if you search for “face masks”

Wow, that’s crazy, I wonder if the gig is still up? 😯

I bought some essentials yesterday, haven’t noticed price surges yet.

Phew! Lucky you, hopefully, it doesn’t get worse. Social distancing is a thing now.

Btw, are you considered a risk group if you have heavy seasonal respiratory allergies? I’m doomed if that’s the case.

Good question. I read on the CDC website.

The highest risk groups include:

• People who have traveled in China, Iran, South Korea and Europe
  • People caring for someone who is ill with the coronavirus
  • People over age 60
  • People with chronic medical conditions such as:
  • High blood pressure
  • Heart disease
  • Diabetes
  • Asthma

Be safe out there. 🙂

• Like 3

Hey, Mila!

Good for them. :ok_hand:t4:

All store owners should put this policy in place.

True. Amazon cracked down on Sellers doing the same thing, banning those listings. I hopped on the eBay app just to see what people were up to and my mouth literally hit the floor. 😲 eBay also banned the selling of face masks and handsanitizers.

8f99858ef4c471173d4bf7704a38503fa8488a9d.pngCNET
b61e9aa42d1ec08dd06de7d41a49f1a466a1fce6.jpeg

Amazon plans to prosecute sellers for price gouging during coronavirus outbreak

It says it's taken down hundreds of thousands of highly priced products.

Personally, I prefer to stock food that will serve me in any sort of crisis, like no electricity, or light and small enough to throw in a backpack if I have to leave the house (I’ve lived in flood-ridden areas) but yeah.

Same here. I’ve been buying batteries, also bought one of those old-fashioned kerosene lamps and flashlights. A bunch of feminine products, too. Aunt Flo is ruthless! 😬

Wow, that’s crazy, I wonder if the gig is still up? 😯

I bought some essentials yesterday, haven’t noticed price surges yet.

Phew! Lucky you, hopefully, it doesn’t get worse. Social distancing is a thing now.

Good question. I read on the CDC website.

• People caring for someone who is ill with the coronavirus
  • People over age 60
  • People with chronic medical conditions such as:
  • High blood pressure
  • Heart disease
  • Diabetes
  • Asthma

Be safe out there. 🙂

The ban/quarantine lists of different countries look different, there are such who quarantine travellers from the US and a handful of European countries, while such from China and South Korea may roam freely, for instance. You can just as well put pretty much every country in the “traveled in” risk group by now, it seems.

Good question. What I can tell you since I get hayfever myself, the answer from the Foundation German Pollen Information Service is NO (the all-caps is a quote, in translation, not shouting at you ;)), people with pollen allergies/hayfever, even allergic asthma, don’t have a higher risk or an immunological weakness, their defense against bacteria and viruses is normal. They should continue their therapies/use medication as usual, no changes needed. I’m no medical professional, though, unfortunately. Just the information I found when looking for it.

ETA: However, it seems it could be a good idea to change to meds that don’t contain corticoids if you don’t really need them (like switching from OTC pills with corticoids to topical sprays etc. without to relieve your symptoms. Of course, anyone who needs to take prescribed meds, must consult their doctor before changing anything.

• Like 8

I spent a whole day (yesterday), couldn’t find hand sanitizer until evening. Found only 2 tiny of them and that too overpriced.

• Like 2

If you can get a bottle of alcohol hopefully 99% (most you will see is less, more like 90% but that’s ok too) and mix it with something like aloe juice or something similar you can make your own hand sanitizer.

Price gouging, selling face masks, hand sanitizer or anything at a higher than usual price, is illegal in the U.S. and fiverr takes down any gigs like that.

About allergies: People with allergies have a hyper-reactive immune system and have been shown to get cancer less often since their immune systems launch into action vigorously. So I would not expect them to be more susceptible to a viral infection.

• Like 5