Support for SMBs and Freelancers during the spread of COVID-19

What’s great news is that the COVID-19 has been fully mapped by researchers at the Sauer Structural Biology Laboratory who are currently working on a vaccine. Thanks to Fiverr, I had the joy of writing about this breakthrough for a wonderful buyer.

I was reading about that after you mentioned it. That means that finding a vaccine has moved along faster than if they were starting out new to work on it. That’s a branch of U. of Texas working on that.

It’s still going to be a while before a vaccine is available but at least they have that virus mapped. And according to what I read, they have a plan of developing a vaccine due to having the virus mapped.

• Like 26

It’s odd but I’m already getting a ton more work than I do normally.

That being said, I have a family member in the hospital right now.

We must take this pandemic seriously. I’m just waiting here… more people will take it seriously as friends and family pass on…

Working online is definitely the future and I am grateful I can sit at home and avoid the germs!

I have a family member in the hospital right now.

I’m so sorry to hear that! Hoping it goes well.

• Like 23

Now if only Fiverr could devote that much energy into removing the problems that penalize sellers for what buyers do wrong! Perhaps not as strong a public relations opportunity.

Sorry, but these things frustrate me. We’re supposed to oooh and aahhh about this gesture, but it’s a deflection of the systemic issues within the platform.

I’m not saying Fiverr owes us anything because of Corona – not at all. I’m just saying that if they’re going to essentially brag about the good they’re doing for sellers, they should also address the unfairness that they’ve attached to the selling experience here – stuff we’ve been venting about here and elsewhere for literally years but nothing changes.

After all, the unjust elements of Fiverr affect sellers’ income from the platform the most and no amount of free resources is going to change that.

• Like 23

Thank You for this initiative, especially the free courses. I have been without any order for the last 2 weeks. My clients are mostly from f&b industry and they are affected hugely by convid19. Will keep myself busy with learning new skills. Thanks!

• Like 3

Its been more than two months but not received any single order yet, as per my skills. Now the terror of COVID-19, we are isolated, and govt have no help for us. If we go outside, we are not sure it will be safe or not. It is painful for us when you are facing these kinds of problems and have no job, no money, and only freelancing is a HOPE. Hopefully, Fiverr will do the best for this community. 🥺

• Like 5

Thanks!
And since so many of us are having to quarantine/self-isolate/shelter-in-place, how about shortening the impound time on our funds. Many of us are being layed-off or otherwise deprived of our income from our jobs during this time. It would be a great gesture, and much needed stimulus, to all of us who help make this a great platform.

• Like 5

Hi Matt @mjensen415,

Actually, there is something Fiverr could do to help its seller freelancer community in a direct and probably not too complicated way (a bit of coding and sending out automated emails, I think).

As it’s possible that some of us may have to apply for government funds or a mortgage respite, prove to their health insurance that they don’t earn much or at all due to this pandemic to not have to keep paying their monthly dues based on last year’s earnings/tax declaration, etc.,
a “paper” (email) from Fiverr stating the seller’s revenue for any given month could be more helpful and get less suspicious looks than that csv file one can download. Staff in such organisations often don’t know much if anything about freelancing or at least platforms like Fiverr/the gig economy, too, and often ask for “something official”.

Something that looks credible and official, with Fiverr’s address and such, that states something like:
XY is registered on our platform as a freelancer and earned $$$ revenue in (February 2020).

I’m sure Fiverr has people who can make sure that that “revenue statement” will be fine from a legal standpoint for Fiverr.

This has been already suggested before COVID-19, as something like that, especially as a yearly statement, would be really useful for tax and other purposes, but I think in the face of the current situation, it might just have become even more relevant.

I hope this can be considered/passed on to the relevant people. Thanks!

• Like 15

@mjensen415 may God protect us all
Basically what we can do to help ourselves is to avoid touching ourselves like shaking hands or hugging we should maintain some distance.

On the financial aspects, not everybody is financially buoyant as all fingers ain’t equal, during this lockdown, some staying at home doesn’t benefit them those that are financially fit should help out.

• Like 26

I believe that online platforms are the future of successful business and for sure many of us who have a opportunity to work from home in these days feels more protected and safe, thanks to fiverr for making this real for us, but there is many others who can’t work online like bake a bread online so staying at home I start to think more about how to help people without earning money on that just for nothing do a good thing but what if all people will start think about how to help each other? what then the earth will give us? what are the consequences then? I saw people who buy a tones of food but after throw them away because they get soured. We need to be more careful about each other and use as much as we need because there is other people like us, let’s just help each other.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...