Something I clearly don't understand about Fiverr

I think that, as a general summary, this page is great as I’ve seen until now. But there’s something I still don’t understand… the tests.
I think that, I feel like those are pretty overwhelming, erratic and irrational. I got a 7.2 in spanish-english translation, and specifically a 5 in verbal tenses. Why?
And do you know what’s the worst part? I got a 8.2 in BASIC ENGLISH, WHEN I AM BILINGUAL. And, for my surprise, I GOT A 5 IN VERBAL TENSES AGAIN!!!
Why??? Every answer was green, everything was incredibly basic and I got this grades… I think that there’s something exaggeratedly wrong, no, there must be something exaggeratedly wrong with this…

I got 8.3 for Verbs and Tenses. My worst was Punctuation, where I earned a 5.
You can try taking the tests again, if you like.

Continuing discussions from Take a Test, Earn Trust! and My first impression of the Skills Test feature What are Skill Tests and what do they do? If you’ve explored the options on your profile, you may have found the Skill Tests. These currently have no active benefit to Sellers unless a Buyer specifically looks for them. Relevant results cannot be placed in gigs and they can only be seen in the Seller’s profile. Who is ExpertRating? ExpertRating is considered a course provider and certifica…

Continuing discussions from Take a Test, Earn Trust! and My first impression of the Skills Test feature What are Skill Tests and what do they do? If you’ve explored the options on your profile, you may have found the Skill Tests. These currently have no active benefit to Sellers unless a Buyer specifically looks for them. Relevant results cannot be placed in gigs and they can only be seen in the Seller’s profile. Who is ExpertRating? ExpertRating is considered a course provider and certifica…

Are you a native speaker or you learned english?

There are a few points that I could add to my complain:

-Speaking about the english-spanish translation test, I can say something else: there were a lot of strange answers that, having the same meaning and being correct, were identical to each other excepting for dumb differences like the quotes or the use of synonyms. Other examples of this subject were:

-Identical sentences except for the initial capital letter. Example: “Viernes”

instead of “viernes”.

-The same answer except for the way in which the date is written (in number or in letter).

Example: “El 26 de enero lo haremos.” vs “El veintiséis de enero lo haremos.” Both are

correct…

As you’ve seen, that test wasn’t basic, it was kind of advanced. The “basic english test” was more like basic-intermediate. But it didn’t matter, I got a 8.2…

Are you a native speaker or you learned english?

Yes, English is my only language. You’re English is very good, but I can spot a few things that make me question your bilingual claim (and, yes, verb tenses are notably one of them). I would agree that you’re fluent, at the least.

Some of that test isn’t so much ‘what’s technically correct’ but ‘what’s most common correct.’

Your question, for example…

“Are you a native speaker or you learned english?”

…is technically correct, but native speakers would ask:

‘Are you a native speaker or did you learn English?’

Yes, English is my only language. You’re English is very good, but I can spot a few things that make me question your bilingual claim (and, yes, verb tenses are notably one of them). I would agree that you’re fluent, at the least.

Some of that test isn’t so much ‘what’s technically correct’ but ‘what’s most common correct.’

Are you a native speaker or you learned english?”

I’m not sure it is technically correct. The word “or” in effect divides it into two separate questions so that “you learned english?” should be able to stand by itself as a question, but it’s not written correctly. It is technically correct to say “…or did you learn English?”

Also the word exageratedly isn’t a word.

specifically a 5 in verbal tenses. Why?

It is not correct to say “I got this grades” It should be “I got these grades”.

I got 8.3 for Verbs and Tenses . My worst was Punctuation , where I earned a 5.

I got 0 for the “Punctuation”. 😂

tenses.PNG.ddb089471df75ec23eb2700968b8f705.PNG

1tenses.PNG.27e417170bbe4c92c1b414e413331cd5.PNG

Are you a native speaker or you learned english?”

I’m not sure it is technically correct. The word “or” in effect divides it into two separate questions so that “you learned english?” should be able to stand by itself as a question, but it’s not written correctly. It is technically correct to say “…or did you learn English?”

Also the word exageratedly isn’t a word.

specifically a 5 in verbal tenses. Why?

It is not correct to say “I got this grades” It should be “I got these grades”.

-Discussing technically about grammar, you can eventually say that the absence of the auxiliary “did” is actually a mistake, and you would be right. The problem here is: we are not in something like a college discussion about economics, we are in a casual talk about our experience in Fiverr. So, I can say that I am able to speak like that. That’s because, although that’s something that isn’t technically correct, it’s something quite common even within the native english speakers. I’ve seen that. The same happens with the accents in spanish. Postscript: I clearly know the use of the auxiliary “did”, it’s something pretty basic. I did it on purpose.

-Speaking about the word “exaggeratedly”, it does exist. Search it on Google.

-Finally, going on about the world “these”, I have to admit that I clearly mispelled that. But it wasn’t something that I didn’t know, I know the difference between the words: this, these, those and that. It was a typo.

That’s why

IT’S Called A “TEST”

HEhe

You cannot Get 100

When You KNOW Nothing

and You JUST “THinK”

Yu Are SOMETHING

and know Everything

While you exactly KNOW

“NOTHING AT ALL”

Rather than hijacking fiverr test On A Forum Like These

See “These” not "These

hehe 😇

🙂

‏‏‎ ‎

‏‏‎ ‎

‏‏‎ ‎

‏‏‎ ‎

‏‏‎ ‎

🙂

‏‏‎ ‎

‏‏‎ ‎

‏‏‎ ‎

‏‏‎ ‎

‏‏‎ ‎

‏‏‎ ‎

🙂

Some proofreading:

-You* (“yu” doesn’t exist).

-This* (you talked about a forum, not about forums).

-The capital letters were a mess…

-The punctuation was a mess too…

Do you see? I know more than you…

I’ve never said that I know everything, I even admitted a mistake. I’ve been trying to learn english for about a month, despite the basic knowledge that I already had from the school and the media. The thing is: some of you were searching mistakes that didn’t even exist just to criticize me. And I just defended myself…

And yeah, you didn’t articulate any argument, you just tried to ofend me with your poor writing…

Some proofreading:

I’ve never said that I know everything, I even admitted a mistake. I’ve been trying to learn english for about a month, despite the basic knowledge that I already had from the school and the media. The thing is: some of you were searching mistakes that didn’t even exist just to criticize me. And I just defended myself…

And yeah, you didn’t articulate any argument, you just tried to ofend me with your poor writing…

The thing is: some of you were searching mistakes that didn’t even exist just to criticize me.

Do you remember you asked why you got a 5 in verbal tenses? I wouldn’t have mentioned it except you asked.

I GOT A 5 IN VERBAL TENSES AGAIN!!!

Why???

I’m sorry I answered. I didn’t want to criticize. I wanted to explain and answer your question.

I will happily admit I was wrong about the word exaggeratedly. I learned something today.

When you have a plural, in this case the word “grades” you say “these grades”. These apples. These questions. These subjects.

This is a set of verb tense exercises which some might find helpful:

https://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/verbtenseintro.html#verb-tense-chart-title

The thing is: some of you were searching mistakes that didn’t even exist just to criticize me.

Do you remember you asked why you got a 5 in verbal tenses? I wouldn’t have mentioned it except you asked.

I GOT A 5 IN VERBAL TENSES AGAIN!!!

Why???

I’m sorry I answered. I didn’t want to criticize. I wanted to explain and answer your question.

I will happily admit I was wrong about the word exaggeratedly. I learned something today.

When you have a plural, in this case the word “grades” you say “these grades”. These apples. These questions. These subjects.

This is a set of verb tense exercises which some might find helpful:

https://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/verbtenseintro.html#verb-tense-chart-title

Thanks. I really don’t have a problem with you. I just felt like everyone was trying to criticize just because.

What I’ve noticed among some who have writing gigs is that they think they know English well enough to write English correctly, without realizing they actually do not. I’m not directing that comment at anyone in particular.

It’s a tricky subject to learn with a lot of confusing things about it.

Some proofreading:

I’ve been trying to learn english for about a month, despite the basic knowledge that I already had from the school and the media.

I wasn’t arguing that your English isn’t good, I’m pretty sure I commended and complemented you on it. My point of contention is that you claim to be a native/bilingual speaker. You’re ‘fluent’, which is excellent for translation to your native language.

What I’ve noticed among some who have writing gigs is that they think they know English well enough to write English correctly, without realizing they actually do not. I’m not directing that comment at anyone in particular.

It’s a lack of self-awareness more than anything. Someone went to school for the whole 3 years, someone’s grandma told them their English was good, etc., etc.

The same thing is true for buyers as well. I’ve had buyers who had gripes with my communication skills while being under the impression they spoke English amazingly well (when they absolutely didn’t).

They’d send these paragraphs and paragraphs of text, big words, longest sentences ever. All that written in a way that would take me time and effort to decipher. Stuff like: “increse the sharpness to homogenize the graphism”. I mean, I understand what it means but imagine reading through 2 pages of sentences put together this way.

And it’d be fine if those people weren’t so defiant and defensive about it. I could do without “as per my previous message” and other passive-aggressive hints that I was the problem and they weren’t.

It’s a lack of self-awareness more than anything. Someone went to school for the whole 3 years, someone’s grandma told them their English was good, etc., etc.

The same thing is true for buyers as well. I’ve had buyers who had gripes with my communication skills while being under the impression they spoke English amazingly well (when they absolutely didn’t).

They’d send these paragraphs and paragraphs of text, big words, longest sentences ever. All that written in a way that would take me time and effort to decipher. Stuff like: “increse the sharpness to homogenize the graphism”. I mean, I understand what it means but imagine reading through 2 pages of sentences put together this way.

And it’d be fine if those people weren’t so defiant and defensive about it. I could do without “as per my previous message” and other passive-aggressive hints that I was the problem and they weren’t.

I could write an entire book just about the passive-aggressive messages I sometimes get. Not usually from clients thankfully.

I could write an entire book just about the passive-aggressive messages I sometimes get. Not usually from clients thankfully.

English is my third language and that (thankfully) creates a bit of a barrier for subtle jabs. So the first couple will get over my head until it hits me that the person does try to insult me.

Back to the topic, English punctuation doesn’t make any sense to me. At all. I hired a native speaker tutor a few years back to finally shed some light on it and he just told me I had to “feel it”. 🙂

English is my third language and that (thankfully) creates a bit of a barrier for subtle jabs. So the first couple will get over my head until it hits me that the person does try to insult me.

Back to the topic, English punctuation doesn’t make any sense to me. At all. I hired a native speaker tutor a few years back to finally shed some light on it and he just told me I had to “feel it”. 🙂

I have trouble with apostrophes. I’m great at the rest, but those apostrophes are the main reason I don’t offer a proofreading gig myself. (Those and I have a bit of trouble with ‘passive’ vs ‘active’ voice, though I am getting better.)

Back to the OP topic: @perfectionistop, give yourself time. You’re making an effort to improve yourself, which is great. There are too many sellers on this platform who are content with what they have. I’m thrilled to see you actively pursuing self-improvement.

I’ve been trying to learn english for about a month, despite the basic knowledge that I already had from the school and the media.

I wasn’t arguing that your English isn’t good, I’m pretty sure I commended and complemented you on it. My point of contention is that you claim to be a native/bilingual speaker. You’re ‘fluent’, which is excellent for translation to your native language.

I didn’t say that I have a “native level”. I said “bilingual level”, something that I see as a intermediate point between advanced english and native english. I clearly have to polish a little bit my pronunciation, my grammar and my english “audio” comprehension (in talks), but largely my vocabulary. I have to improve that in order to claim my english as a “native english”.

I didn’t say that I have a “native level”. I said “bilingual level”, something that I see as a intermediate point between advanced english and native english. I clearly have to polish a little bit my pronunciation, my grammar and my english “audio” comprehension (in talks), but largely my vocabulary. I have to improve that in order to claim my english as a “native english”.

Ah, that’s where the disconnect is. Bilingual means you grew up with a second language. Fluent means near indistinguishable from a native speaker. Unfortunately non-native speakers can rarely truly become native. That takes a LOT of time, many years even.

Ah, that’s where the disconnect is. Bilingual means you grew up with a second language. Fluent means near indistinguishable from a native speaker. Unfortunately non-native speakers can rarely truly become native. That takes a LOT of time, many years even.

I just saw that I had another typo. I put “a” instead of “an” .—.

wow your English is OP

What I’ve noticed among some who have writing gigs is that they think they know English well enough to write English correctly, without realizing they actually do not.

There are two mistakes that every aspiring writer makes. First, they get so excited about being a writer, they write long rambling sentences that don’t make sense. Second, they write rubbish.

I learned this publishing books. Put your world-changing manuscript aside for 6-months. Afterward, you will read it in horror as you realize how bad it is. These days, I can’t even read anything I delivered in my first 2-years freelancing without wanting to go back in time and beat myself with a shovel and a thesaurus.

Sadly, a lot of people just don’t get that writing is a skill that you never have, but one that needs constantly developing.

What I’ve noticed among some who have writing gigs is that they think they know English well enough to write English correctly, without realizing they actually do not.

There are two mistakes that every aspiring writer makes. First, they get so excited about being a writer, they write long rambling sentences that don’t make sense. Second, they write rubbish.

I learned this publishing books. Put your world-changing manuscript aside for 6-months. Afterward, you will read it in horror as you realize how bad it is. These days, I can’t even read anything I delivered in my first 2-years freelancing without wanting to go back in time and beat myself with a shovel and a thesaurus.

Sadly, a lot of people just don’t get that writing is a skill that you never have, but one that needs constantly developing.

Put your world-changing manuscript aside for 6-months. Afterward, you will read it in horror as you realize how bad it is.

I like to write short stories but then later read them and throw them away. I’ve never considered getting them published. I just like to write.

Archived