Why did you start selling at Fiverr or freelancing at all?

bab_fen

Hey guys,
as part of my Bachelor thesis, I’m interested in the reasons for which you started with Fiverr or became a Freelancer at all? Why are you preferring online Freelancing over traditional employment? And how do you succeed with it?
Thanks for your answers
Wish you all a good day

I worked various office jobs for 12 years. Mostly web design/digital advertising. Then had a nervous breakdown from, I guess, the mounting exhaustion from corporate culture, insane deadlines and struggling to see myself doing the same thing for another decade.

I found myself crying at my desk one day which made me realize that I didn’t just need another vacation, I needed to reconsider my entire career path if I was unhappy to that degree. I do strongly believe that life is short and your job at the very least doesn’t have to make you sick. It should occasionally make you happy.

So I did reconsider things and here I am.

I needed a side hustle which I could do any time of the day (or night) to pay off my debts , and get some extra cash being a single mum. I have a full employment as well. I also wanted to share my skulls with others 🙂

I worked various office jobs for 12 years. Mostly web design/digital advertising. Then had a nervous breakdown from, I guess, the mounting exhaustion from corporate culture, insane deadlines and struggling to see myself doing the same thing for another decade.

I found myself crying at my desk one day which made me realize that I didn’t just need another vacation, I needed to reconsider my entire career path if I was unhappy to that degree. I do strongly believe that life is short and your job at the very least doesn’t have to make you sick. It should occasionally make you happy.

So I did reconsider things and here I am.

Thanks for sharing this. Very important points for my work 👍

Glad to hear you’re happy now. 😊

In our country job opportunity is very rare, we have to find ways of income and freelancing is the

best way to earn from home with your skills. Yes I am satisfied with what I am earning.

Thanks a lot for your answer. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Would you say that, besides freelancing giving you a job opportunity at all, it’s possible for you to earn more money with it compared to traditional employment in your country? Hope, you’re ok with me for asking that question. Looking forward to your answer 😇

Thanks a lot for your answer. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Would you say that, besides freelancing giving you a job opportunity at all, it’s possible for you to earn more money with it compared to traditional employment in your country? Hope, you’re ok with me for asking that question. Looking forward to your answer 😇

it was nothing 🙂

Thank you! I’ll keep that in my mind. 😇

You said an intention of yours was to share your skills - may i ask you if and why this wasn’t possible to you at your fulltime job as it is with freelancing?

You said an intention of yours was to share your skills - may i ask you if and why this wasn’t possible to you at your fulltime job as it is with freelancing?

Well, I work as a teacher (swedish as a second language), where I do use my skills of course but to “keep up” with my level of other languages ( like English for example) I want to use them as well. And like most teachers, I don’t just work with what Iwas trained for, or even wanted to do 😛 I translate english to swedish and danish and vice versa, as well as danish to swedish. I also transcribe these languages as well as plan trips for people in another gig (been a flight attendant earlier). But translating (and proofreading) is my “main” gig and where there’s most interest.

My native tongue is Swedish but I have a good education and good knowledge of English (im just lazy in forums with selling rules etc haha). I also speak fluent Danish. I do also have a lot of knowledge about interior design and I’m thinking about what kind of gig I could use that for 🙂

oh, and one more thing, fiverr is one of very few freelance sites that “accepts” residents from outside us or uk!🙂

Well, I work as a teacher (swedish as a second language), where I do use my skills of course but to “keep up” with my level of other languages ( like English for example) I want to use them as well. And like most teachers, I don’t just work with what Iwas trained for, or even wanted to do 😛 I translate english to swedish and danish and vice versa, as well as danish to swedish. I also transcribe these languages as well as plan trips for people in another gig (been a flight attendant earlier). But translating (and proofreading) is my “main” gig and where there’s most interest.

My native tongue is Swedish but I have a good education and good knowledge of English (im just lazy in forums with selling rules etc haha). I also speak fluent Danish. I do also have a lot of knowledge about interior design and I’m thinking about what kind of gig I could use that for 🙂

Very interesting, thank you!

Good luck with finding a way to integrate your interior design skills 😇

I work full-time as a concierge and have a lot of free time while on the clock. I had a couple online side hustles to pass the time but I got bored with them. I always found myself writing lyrics when I got bored or felt creative so I figured why not get paid off it. I googled ghostwriters and Fiverr popped up and the rest was history.

I incurred a work injury that makes labor-intensive work difficult, and moved to an area without much demand for office work. I started on Fiverr because I didn’t know there were other freelancing platform options, it was free to join, and I hoped to maybe start doing work that more fit the intersection of passion and skill.

I do like the online aspect as an introvert with ADD, where I can actually deal with people with a bit more time delay and don’t have to worry as much about the shinies causing me to loose focus for a few minutes. Plus, the hyper-focus aspect of ADD can really help once I get going on a project.

As for success, eh, I can’t speak on that topic yet (I already know I should be doing more to promote myself, however).

Does that cover all the questions?

Archived