What's a good conversion rate 2020?

jamayalt

Yes keywords are definitely a great piece of info. But you want to discover the other part of the equation: the keywords that lead them to your competition. (if those even exist)

Asking people who bought from you how they found you will pretty much confirm that what you have going on works. Not how you can make it work even better.

I’m sure the main thing are those thumbnails on my gigs for my competition. But I can’t do anything about those. But I see what you mean.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t see how what I wrote and what you pasted from Fiverr is any different.

Impressions count every time your gig appears on Fiverr result pages.

This happens when people search for stuff and when people browse categories.

@cyaxrex I never said that conversion doesn’t matter or that we shouldn’t pay attention to it.

The OP seemed to ask a very arbitrary question, like “what’s a good conversion rate to have” which doesn’t make much sense to me personally.

There are so many levels to check your performance before looking at your conversion rate. For instance if your gig doesn’t get picked up by Fiverr’s SERP conversion is the least of your worries.

I think closing deals via inbox is the most powerful tool at a seller’s disposal, but I am not 100% sure those sales count the same way as someone landing on your gig and clicking the green purchase button.

Not sure which one is most preferred by Fiverr. Thoughts Cy?

I think closing deals via inbox is the most powerful tool at a seller’s disposal, but I am not 100% sure those sales count the same way as someone landing on your gig and clicking the green purchase button.

Not sure which one is most preferred by Fiverr.

I’ve wondered about that since your stream. For all we know, the algorithm might be focused on the resulting order’s price, i.e., if your Gig is $100 and the custom offer resulting from the inbox contact is higher, it might be valued higher than a direct sale but if the custom offer was lower, it would be valued less. At least, that would make sense.

Not sure which one is most preferred by Fiverr.

I’ve wondered about that since your stream. For all we know, the algorithm might be focused on the resulting order’s price, i.e., if your Gig is $100 and the custom offer resulting from the inbox contact is higher, it might be valued higher than a direct sale but if the custom offer was lower, it would be valued less. At least, that would make sense.

For all we know, price of gigs is not a factor, or even a “reverse factor”. Meaning lower priced gigs get shown more than higher priced ones. It’s possible that fiverr prefers lower priced ones since they have more of a chance of a purchase. Volume over profits. Maybe price isn’t a factor at all.

For all we know, price of gigs is not a factor, or even a “reverse factor”. Meaning lower priced gigs get shown more than higher priced ones. It’s possible that fiverr prefers lower priced ones since they have more of a chance of a purchase. Volume over profits. Maybe price isn’t a factor at all.

I don’t know, I’ve seen lots of posts by people claiming that higher priced gigs are shown prominently, as well, I don’t check such things often enough to be able to tell. Fiverr knows how many %/$ they get from a seller or gig, and as long as their bottom line idea is met, I doubt they care much about whether it’s many small or fewer big ticket sales. They get lots of data to play with, and I’m pretty sure a lot of things are taken into account, including less obvious things, like who is the buyer, whether you manage to “onboard a new to the platform buyer”, etc.

Regarding the conversion rate, I always wonder whether it does count people you report as spammers/scammers or not.

I think that what is more important than the algorithm is the editor’s choices of what they want the most people to see. And what that is, is not always obvious. I’ve noticed so many gigs that have no sales, bad thumbnails, that were given preferential placements. Now it’s harder to spot those. But still, there are things at work we can’t see without a lot of thought.

Impressions are appearances of your gig on the search results page. Someone search for something and you came up.

Clicks count when someone actually clicked on your gig (from the search results) and browsed your offering.

Views refers to whenever someone browsed your gig page regardless of how they got there.

Social clicks only count when people find your gig link and click on it via twitter, fb, ig, social media in general.

I’m having 310 view,142 impression and social click then 48 clicks,which means that my gig has appeared 142 times with 48 people checking my offering but I haven’t get any order.

What can I do to resolve that

It’s really difficult to figure out what could be and couldn’t be a factor. Below is the impressions graph for the past 30 days on one of my gigs. On the 4th of February I got a couple of messages, converted them all (one of them a $600 order) and my impressions plummeted the next day.

image.thumb.png.6c851f6c96b4174fec6f0f768bc1df1d.png
image1232×293 20.2 KB

Before that I was doing my usual 50-70% conversion of messages on that gig and got a lot of orders but low value. Makes me think that order value is of little concern to Fiverr. But at the same time, I don’t know if the cancellation I had 2 weeks ago had an impact, completion rate going from 98 to 97%.
When you look at analytics, and you look at all of them rather than just cherrypicking, you tend to leave with less an idea of what you should be focused on, rather than more!

Regarding conversion rate, back late last year when I was only getting repeat buyers, my conversion rate was something like 40% but now its hanging around 6-7% and I am getting more orders and more money.
(6 Month graph)

image.thumb.png.4f1c9b50a7cffa7b731551e232ae8dfe.png
image1250×306 16.6 KB

I think that what is more important than the algorithm is the editor’s choices of what they want the most people to see. And what that is, is not always obvious. I’ve noticed so many gigs that have no sales, bad thumbnails, that were given preferential placements. Now it’s harder to spot those. But still, there are things at work we can’t see without a lot of thought.

I completely agree that there are a lot of factors at work, some obvious, some not so much, some algorithm-based, some not, but most probably all of them “data-driven”. When someone looks at your gig in person and makes decisions, like labeling your gig with the “Fiverr’s Choice” badge, that’s still a data-driven choice. Your profile, gig description, “account standing”, etc., are also data, not just the things the algorithm measures and values.

Regarding conversion rate, back late last year when I was only getting repeat buyers, my conversion rate was something like 40% but now its hanging around 6-7% and I am getting more orders and more money.

Are you getting a lot of spam? Recently, I had/have a wave of spam, nearly all new accounts, thinking my gig was a buyer’s ad. They were “referencing the gig” when contacting me, so I’m thinking those messages, even if I end up blocking them eventually (once it’s clear/provable they are sellers/spamming for sales), do count for conversion rate, mine currently being abysmal.

If spam, or part of it, and things like people contacting you to tell you your prices are too high or too low, or to spy, and such, and then people who you don’t even intend on converting because they didn’t check your gig for the price and want to pay 1/10 or 1/100 or whatever of your gig price, do count in the conversion rate, I’m doubtful that that rate is very high on Fiverr’s list.

If the rate counted actual possible sales, the messages you’d want to convert but do/don’t, then that would be a different matter probably.

I’m sure it does count, however, but I also don’t think it’s the decisive factor and not among the first things to look at. Your actual conversions, as in “how many of the inquiries I would want to convert, do I convert?”, sure, definitely, very important to look at that, but that rate, well.

It’s really difficult to figure out what could be and couldn’t be a factor. Below is the impressions graph for the past 30 days on one of my gigs. On the 4th of February I got a couple of messages, converted them all (one of them a $600 order) and my impressions plummeted the next day.

Before that I was doing my usual 50-70% conversion of messages on that gig and got a lot of orders but low value. Makes me think that order value is of little concern to Fiverr. But at the same time, I don’t know if the cancellation I had 2 weeks ago had an impact, completion rate going from 98 to 97%.

When you look at analytics, and you look at all of them rather than just cherrypicking, you tend to leave with less an idea of what you should be focused on, rather than more!

(6 Month graph)

Someone says “look she is doing so well we need to stop her!” It’s enough to make me paranoid sometimes.

In January my traditionally top gig was finally put back into a good position after spending all of 2019 in limbo. It caused my income for January to almost double. Now it’s in the dog house once again. But that’s ok, I’m fine with that. Nothing I can do about it.

I don’t see how what I wrote and what you pasted from Fiverr is any different.

Impressions count every time your gig appears on Fiverr result pages.

This happens when people search for stuff and when people browse categories.

@cyaxrex I never said that conversion doesn’t matter or that we shouldn’t pay attention to it.

The OP seemed to ask a very arbitrary question, like “what’s a good conversion rate to have” which doesn’t make much sense to me personally.

There are so many levels to check your performance before looking at your conversion rate. For instance if your gig doesn’t get picked up by Fiverr’s SERP conversion is the least of your worries.

Not sure which one is most preferred by Fiverr. Thoughts Cy?

I am not 100% sure those sales count the same way as someone landing on your gig and clicking the green purchase button.

All sales count toward your final conversion rate. Ordering gigs directly is just fast-tracking the same process. It wouldn’t make sense to say one counts more than the other.

As for what Fiverr prefers, this doesn’t matter. You don’t adapt your sales strategy to how a website works when that website doesn’t tell you how it works. You employ a sales strategy that works anywhere.

All discussions that descend into algorithm conjecture result in is circular “I think this” and “I know this” and “I wish we knew” madness.

Since the inbox is the only place where you can actively bump up your conversion rate, that is where you should try to. It seems like this thread is veering into ‘what matters most’ speculation when it comes to search exposure. As it is, impressions and clicks are beyond anyone’s control. However, higher prices do seem to carry a lot of weight when it comes to overall search exposure.

Someone says “look she is doing so well we need to stop her!” It’s enough to make me paranoid sometimes.

In January my traditionally top gig was finally put back into a good position after spending all of 2019 in limbo. It caused my income for January to almost double. Now it’s in the dog house once again. But that’s ok, I’m fine with that. Nothing I can do about it.

It’s enough to make me paranoid sometimes.

It’s not paranoia if you’re right, though 😉

It’s enough to make me paranoid sometimes.

It’s not paranoia if you’re right, though 😉

Being paranoid, or worrying about it, does no good so I’m just resolved to being buffeted by whichever way the fiverr wind blows. I’ve spent time thinking about my gigs and how they are being shown and can only control my own actions.

It would be different if I had some clues to what would help but anything is just a guess. Frank’s talks are the first hope I’ve had for a few insights into the whole process.

That’s a good course of action generally. I’ve given up worrying about most things including but not limited to things I can’t control.

Even if we can’t know some things with absolute certainty, trying to figure out things and gaining insights to figure out which things we may be able to control, which count most and which least, etc., can help us either to succeed or to “merely” save time if we find out we can just as well neglect/ignore it, and can also be interesting just for the sake of it.

As to that specific thing, I think it’s completely possible that Fiverr indeed perhaps doesn’t think “we need to stop her” but “she’s doing so well we can stop her (and funnel people to some of her colleagues now, so they’ll stick around) for a while now”, that’s similar to the rotation, and “rotation” is a fact we know.
They need to keep enough good sellers around. If those sellers get enough sales and earn enough (even if sporadical/in waves) to not go anywhere anytime soon, that works for them.

That’s a good course of action generally. I’ve given up worrying about most things including but not limited to things I can’t control.

Even if we can’t know some things with absolute certainty, trying to figure out things and gaining insights to figure out which things we may be able to control, which count most and which least, etc., can help us either to succeed or to “merely” save time if we find out we can just as well neglect/ignore it, and can also be interesting just for the sake of it.

As to that specific thing, I think it’s completely possible that Fiverr indeed perhaps doesn’t think “we need to stop her” but “she’s doing so well we can stop her (and funnel people to some of her colleagues now, so they’ll stick around) for a while now”, that’s similar to the rotation, and “rotation” is a fact we know.

They need to keep enough good sellers around. If those sellers get enough sales and earn enough (even if sporadical/in waves) to not go anywhere anytime soon, that works for them.

That’s one theory to add to the mix. You might be right. I know if fiverr would continue to keep that one gig of mine the way it was in January it would cause a drought to other sellers. 🙂

I am not 100% sure those sales count the same way as someone landing on your gig and clicking the green purchase button.

All sales count toward your final conversion rate. Ordering gigs directly is just fast-tracking the same process. It wouldn’t make sense to say one counts more than the other.

As for what Fiverr prefers, this doesn’t matter. You don’t adapt your sales strategy to how a website works when that website doesn’t tell you how it works. You employ a sales strategy that works anywhere.

All discussions that descend into algorithm conjecture result in is circular “I think this” and “I know this” and “I wish we knew” madness.

Since the inbox is the only place where you can actively bump up your conversion rate, that is where you should try to. It seems like this thread is veering into ‘what matters most’ speculation when it comes to search exposure. As it is, impressions and clicks are beyond anyone’s control. However, higher prices do seem to carry a lot of weight when it comes to overall search exposure.

All sales count toward your final conversion rate.

Well obviously. 🙂

Again we are on the same page. My conspiracy theories are just a past time activity for me personally, trying to come up with answers for people who keep posting about how their gigs suddenly stopped performing, or how they lost their “ranking”.

It seems like no matter what I do, the majority of people don’t want to learn how to be good sales people, or price their stuff right, or offer an amazing customer journey that causes delight. You know, stuff they can apply anywhere.

Most people on Fiverr are looking for the answer to the universe and everything (it’s 42 people) and quick band aids to what ails them.

Impressions are appearances of your gig on the search results page. Someone search for something and you came up.

Clicks count when someone actually clicked on your gig (from the search results) and browsed your offering.

Views refers to whenever someone browsed your gig page regardless of how they got there.

Social clicks only count when people find your gig link and click on it via twitter, fb, ig, social media in general.

For example someone came from Google search engine.

Whoever made that claim has a limited understanding of how the digital world works and 0 understanding of how Fiverr’s algorithm works.

I think this is just a bit of an exaggeration.

Conversion rates are a metric that everyone should take seriously. I would also assume that Fiverr does take into account conversion rates when it comes to gig placements.

In real life, if you had three people on a sales floor, you would pay close attention to conversion rates. If Bill and Bob make several sales a day but Joe makes just one sale a week, I’d want to know why this is, even if Joe does bring in high-value clients. A lower conversion rate would mean that something Joe is doing is putting off a lot of leads who might be walking out my door with a negative impression about my brand.

That is a clumsy analogy, However, conversion metrics do carry a lot of weight in digital marketing.

Trust me when I say the conversion rate is not the root of any of your problems.

It is if you need to make money to keep the lights on!

No conversions means no sales and no money in the bank. This means you are doing something wrong. You could be selling something there is no market demand for. You could be marketing your product poorly. Whatever the problem is, you need to address it.

I’ve tried looking here but didn’t find anything latest on what “defines” a good conversion rate?

It is not really possible to calculate your conversion rate on Fiverr. However, you should be making sure that you try to convert as many messages you get in your inbox into sales.

This is a very crude way of looking at it. However, this is the main way you can directly improve your conversion rate.

This doesn’t just mean trying to sell hard. This means looking at why people don’t buy from you.

If you offer a service like a single 1-page web design and people keep messaging asking if you can build them a Shopify store, you consider how you can adapt your business. Clearly there is a demand for Shopify stores. You, therefore, look at whether you can offer this service. If you can, you start converting more leads into sales. If you can’t, you look at how to tweak your existing gig description to make sure you are targeting the right market.

My goal is to convert 6 out of every 10 messages into sales. This isn’t always possible. However, I consider this pretty healthy.

Conversion rates are a metric that everyone should take seriously. I would also assume that Fiverr does take into account conversion rates when it comes to gig placements.

Thanks a lot, you’ve explained it quite well as opposed to the first reply I got here! 😃

Thanks a lot, you’ve explained it quite well as opposed to the first reply I got here! 😃

ummm wow. OK thanks for that.

One thing not mentioned yet are gigs with repeat buyers. That might not be taken into account at all. That seems to me like something impossible for an algorithm to gauge, or there might be internal statistics available to the editors. Or it might even be a factor in placing a gig lower in the listings.

• 4 months later...

There’s no such thing as a “good” conversion rate. It’s not a metric that you shouldn’t obsess over.

It’s a useful metric to keep track of, as it indicates how well your gigs work in terms of converting a visitor into a customer.

Having a higher price point will mean that less people will buy so yes it will affect the conversion rate.

However, before even getting into pricing there are so many variables like your gig description, the packages you chose to offer and whether you utilized the FAQ section.

I an currently sporting a 1.59% conversion rate which is low but I am willing to bet I make at least 3x-5x what the average seller makes on the platform.

How much the average seller make? :thinking:

If you can say it’s above the average you should also say what’s the average.

That’s maths

Quick mafs indeed.

OK let me rephrase:

What I make is above the median income average in a developed country like the US or a member state of the EU.

I still don’t know what sellers make on the platform on average.

Also: why are you asking the question?

Trying to see if it’s worth your time?

Edit: I see you are already a seller so maybe you just wanted to compare your performance against others or see what your growth potential is?

higher prices do seem to carry a lot of weight when it comes to overall search exposure.

Maybe but if no one ever buys that high priced gig then they don’t.

But that’s a good point.

Quick mafs indeed.

OK let me rephrase:

What I make is above the median income average in a developed country like the US or a member state of the EU.

I still don’t know what sellers make on the platform on average.

Also: why are you asking the question?

Trying to see if it’s worth your time?

Edit: I see you are already a seller so maybe you just wanted to compare your performance against others or see what your growth potential is?

It’s just because you said that you’re making 3/5x the average, and I would like to know what do you think about the average income of the sellers here.

It was just curiosity 😅

I already know it’s worth my time, since I’m here only from march and I think I’m already having great results. So I just wanted to know what’s the average seller’s result

Yes, also because of the possible growth

sorry for the misunderstanding 🙂

Archived