Would you work with a buyer with a bad review?

ducktheunicorn

Yeh I worked with someone who has a review like that who was trying to harass and bully me after the sale and I had to let them know I won’t tolerate it. A few people like to do that routinely to sellers. You can be sure if a buyer is being annoying to you they do it to others too.

As soon as the order was delivered, the bombardment of hostile and harassing messages began.

These people come along once or twice a year for me. It’s rare and it stands out so much from the usual wonderful clients I get.

If they had messaged me first and I saw that I would refuse. The one I mentioned had learned to wait until I had delivered to start in, and didn’t leave me a review so I couldn’t leave her a bad one because I most definitely would have warned others.

Definitely not. Even when sellers have poor order experiences, they rarely leave 1-star reviews. An experience has to be appallingly bad to jump in at the deep end and call a buyer out for being rude and antagonistic.

I have a buyer at present who is appallingly rude and antagonistic. They have even used the "there are lots more writers on Fiverr" line when complaining about my prices after already getting a discounted rate.

I will definitely be leaving this buyer a 1-star review and when I do, it will be in the hope that other sellers avoid being subject to the same abuse.

I

I never thought I would leave any buyer a one star review. I’ve just changed my mind. If only I could. These people would think twice about abusing sellers if we could leave a review without them leaving one for us. They go around to sellers and make a habit of it to prop up their sagging egos.

I shouldn’t be considering this, I know… but I sent them a message to explain the review like urdeke stated they’ve tried. They’ve sent me quite a few messages already before placing an order, then asked for pricing. Here’s what I said:

Before we move further, can I ask about your recent negative review on your buyer page? It looks like a bad experience on both ends and I want to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Can you tell me what happened so we can make working together run smoothly?

I shouldn’t be considering this, I know… but I sent them a message to explain the review like urdeke stated they’ve tried. They’ve sent me quite a few messages already before placing an order, then asked for pricing. Here’s what I said:

Before we move further, can I ask about your recent negative review on your buyer page? It looks like a bad experience on both ends and I want to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Can you tell me what happened so we can make working together run smoothly?

That’s awesome. I would love to hear what they respond but they may not. Or they may blame the seller.

Before we move further, can I ask about your recent negative review on your buyer page?

This is easily the ballsiest thing I’ve heard of anyone doing on Fiverr ever. Hats off to you! I wouldn’t dare do this, but I hope it works out well!

I’m sure it won’t please them when they get that.

I would have thought the same, but it is superbly worded to not sound anything but like a sincere "I want to help you have a great experience."

I simply can’t write such calm, neutral messages to potentially problem buyers, unless I have a cold shower and visit a shooting range for half an hour to compose myself first.

I would have thought the same, but it is superbly worded to not sound anything but like a sincere "I want to help you have a great experience."

I simply can’t write such calm, neutral messages to potentially problem buyers, unless I have a cold shower and visit a shooting range for half an hour to compose myself first.

Thank my years of being a call center manager for being able to deal with nasty clients in a positive manner.

Awesome.

I wouldn’t dare to do something like that because, if I decided not to work with the buyer after the response I get, it would be a lot more difficult to get away with the good old “I’m sorry, but I’m not a good match for this project.”

Please let us know what the buyer said!

Awesome.

I wouldn’t dare to do something like that because, if I decided not to work with the buyer after the response I get, it would be a lot more difficult to get away with the good old “I’m sorry, but I’m not a good match for this project.”

Please let us know what the buyer said!

If they ever reply I will… I keep seeing the (typing) message, then they go offline and come back. I have a feeling if they do reply it will be a rant.

Do you have something similar to use when you are being harassed and insulted by one of these monsters after the delivery? Once a week this buyer starts in once more and makes my stomach go into a knot.

Do you have something similar to use when you are being harassed and insulted by one of these monsters after the delivery? Once a week this buyer starts in once more and makes my stomach go into a knot.

I have a template for when a buyer asks for a revision and doesn’t give instructions.

I have another one for when they ask for a full rewrite or try to change a topic after delivery.

I don’t know if either of these would be useful for you. I can post them if you like.

I have a template for when a buyer asks for a revision and doesn’t give instructions.

I have another one for when they ask for a full rewrite or try to change a topic after delivery.

I don’t know if either of these would be useful for you. I can post them if you like.

I can post them if you like.

Yes please. 😉

I won’t steal them, I just want to be nosy.

I can post them if you like.

Yes please. 😉

I won’t steal them, I just want to be nosy.

Revision without instructions: Thank you for giving me the opportunity to make this right for you. I see you requested a revision, but haven’t provided instructions. I know your initial deadline was (insert date here) and want to get this taken care of in a timely manner. Please let me know your thoughts so we can move forward.

Full Rewrite or Topic Change Requests: Thank you for your valued feedback. I do not provide (full rewrite or topic change). If there are any issues in the text you would like me to address I would be more than happy to accommodate your needs.

If they are asking for a topic change I also add: I would be more than happy to send you an offer on your new topic, and am redelivering the initial agreed upon order.

Revision without instructions: Thank you for giving me the opportunity to make this right for you. I see you requested a revision, but haven’t provided instructions. I know your initial deadline was (insert date here) and want to get this taken care of in a timely manner. Please let me know your thoughts so we can move forward.

Full Rewrite or Topic Change Requests: Thank you for your valued feedback. I do not provide (full rewrite or topic change). If there are any issues in the text you would like me to address I would be more than happy to accommodate your needs.

If they are asking for a topic change I also add: I would be more than happy to send you an offer on your new topic, and am redelivering the initial agreed upon order.

Very nice. I already write similar responses. However, I’ve also started outright refusing to revise orders where I don’t include revisions FOC. This is a new strategy of mine that can see me cancel orders. My rule is that as long as my order completion doesn’t dip below 97%, I can justify doing that.

That sounds like a nuclear option. However, more often than not, (often unnecessary) revisions throw my workflow out of wack resulting in late deliveries. Also, the buyers who ask for unnecessary revisions often have an attitude that tells me they are going to leave an evil review no matter what.

Of course, my first step isn’t to cancel. Instead, I first send a Grammarly analysis of their text proving that there are no major spelling, grammar, or structure issues.

glassy.png.1760c27413d0850946d5c726d24c7c07.png

This helps as typically, 99% of my unhappy buyers are non-fluent English speakers who don’t know how to asses the quality of an article and have usually run it past a ‘friend’ or a $5 proofreader in Timbuktu.

So far, I’ve only had to cancel 1 order since early December, and have managed to nip almost all other revision requests in the bud by doing this.

My usual reply goes something like:

Hi,

I’m sorry you are not 100% satisfied. However, I’m afraid that you will have to clarify your revision request. Your article scores 99 out of 100 for spelling, grammar, and real human readability when checked using online tools like Grammarly. Your article also covers the exact topic you wanted covering.

I do not usually offer free revisions on basic orders. However, if you can clarify exactly what you feel the problem is with your article, I will see if this is something I can remedy. Please note, though, that if I do not hear from you within 24-hours, I will also assume that you are happy with your order as-is, and redeliver accordingly.

Most buyers go deathly silent when I reply like this. 🙂

There was only one buyer, not here, that I refused to work with based on reviews. Not only that but the buyer was someone I worked with before, but they were using a different; different name same demeanor same account. Even the sellers that were able to complete the order and get 5 stars didn’t have pleasant experiences.

There was a buyer with no reviews who wanted to work with me. At first he said “I’ll give you X$ if you write a simple vision, mission, values and goals for my company”.
I tried to gather as much information as possible, such as the industry of the company, its stage (launch?), the purpose of the writings,etc.
All he agreed to tell me is that it’s for a business plan.

After telling him that we would not be able to start before he tells me the industry he finally said it’s pharmaceutical industry (it took him 3 days to say it is pharmaceutical industry)

So I made an offer. But he said “I need some sample work first, I don’t care if you copy paste from internet, just change some words to avoid copyright issues. And make it general”

I refused to do any copy paste, and because of that he got angry at me :man_facepalming:t4: Moreover he yelled about how long everything was (I kept everything in one or two sentences). He said it lacks precision (although he instructed me to make it general).
Then he requested another sample.
But this time I wrote a renowned company’s vision and mission statement (to get his opinion only of course, not to steal anything). He replied that there is a lot of grammar mistakes, and written in poor English, etc…

Right after that I told him “Kindly refer to another writer as my writing skills are not matching your expectations, thank you”

This was the first bad experience I got on Fiverr ever. He added “if I want to I can copy from the internet. I guess I’ll have to do everything myself, or find someone else”. I so wanted to tell him go ahead.

Some sellers like me may not be as skilled as experienced sellers, but I think there is no need for a buyer to harass others to get what he wants

Archived