Just found something... a bit concerning

visualstudios

There’s a massive ratings manipulation going on, and it seems to work at least sometimes.

It would be easier for Fiverr to detect ratings manipulation, not by checking for paid reviews but by automatically checking the text on the order page/delivery message for those asking for a 5 star rating.

They could check both, but the above should be easier and they already have it all the necessary info stored.

In what way? They could have legit sounding reviews, it doesn’t take that much time or effort. In any case, a while ago on Fiverr the majority of reviews were simply “Outstanding experience”. Hard to check.

As for the text on the order, they could make something up that sounds minimally legit. Some kind of automated service that’s hard to check.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In what way? They could have legit sounding reviews, it doesn’t take that much time or effort. In any case, a while ago on Fiverr the majority of reviews were simply “Outstanding experience”. Hard to check.

As for the text on the order, they could make something up that sounds minimally legit. Some kind of automated service that’s hard to check.

In what way? They could have legit sounding reviews,

Fiverr could have a system/bot/script/app that checks the text posted by the seller on the order page (eg. the delivery message) for text like “Please give me 5 stars” or “a high rating” or whatever. Those that do could get flagged and checked by staff at Fiverr.

edit: It would be a bit like how it works in the inbox, but without the warning shown before it’s posted.

That would be much easier to detect that sort of rating manipulation than checking to see who paid for it.

That’s extremely insulting. I NEVER advocated for buying reviews, and I suggest you don’t acuse me of that. Explaining the though process of those who do has nothing do to with advocacy. Next thing you say, a guy writing a book explaining the motivations behind serial killers is a murderer. Come on.

Next thing you say, a guy writing a book explaining the motivations behind serial killers is a murdered.

If he writes a book expounding on what a great idea being a killer is and gives numerous reasons why it’s a great idea, and how it would benefit someone to be a killer, I would think he might be trying to convince people if he seemed over enthusiastic. Maybe I’m warped to think that way.

If a TRS guy came along who is obviously making their living off Fiverr, I’d sell them a few reviews then threaten to alert Fiverr unless they cough up a juicy $1k or a few Bitcoin.

I hadn’t even thought of that. That’s genius, actually.

I hadn’t even thought of that. That’s genius, actually.

Technically, blackmail is illegal. However… Well, it happens.

I think there could even be a Fiverr Black Mirror episode in this idea somewhere.

Next thing you say, a guy writing a book explaining the motivations behind serial killers is a murdered.

If he writes a book expounding on what a great idea being a killer is and gives numerous reasons why it’s a great idea, and how it would benefit someone to be a killer, I would think he might be trying to convince people if he seemed over enthusiastic. Maybe I’m warped to think that way.

I didn’t say it was a great idea. It’s wrong, you shouldn’t do it. But saying I can see there’s a clear motivation for, say, when someone murders for money, is logical. Obviously I don’t think they should do it.

I’m trying to make the system better and fairer by calling attention to a problem, not the opposite. If everyone just replies “Oh, it doesn’t work”, I try to explain my perspective on how it kinda does. This doesn’t mean I think it’s right. On the contrary.

In fairness, given Fiverr’s history as the place to buy reviews for any site, and the fact it took the threat of legal action to put an end to it, it’s kinda funny to imagine anyone getting overly upset about it now happening to Fiverr.

When someone buys reviews, they open themselves up to blackmail forever. If you pay someone to review you and then go on to be successful, there is nothing to stop that person from asking for a couple of quid to stay quiet. Imagine getting a message from that person after a year and them saying they want $100/month or they will report your level 2 account.
In the same way, taking a chance on communicating outside the platform also gives the same leverage for blackmail. It’s easy money for the blackmailer and for the blackmailee, it would be a very tough lesson to learn.

In fairness, given Fiverr’s history as the place to buy reviews for any site, and the fact it took the threat of legal action to put an end to it, it’s kinda funny to imagine anyone getting overly upset about it now happening to Fiverr.

When someone buys reviews, they open themselves up to blackmail forever. If you pay someone to review you and then go on to be successful, there is nothing to stop that person from asking for a couple of quid to stay quiet. Imagine getting a message from that person after a year and them saying they want $100/month or they will report your level 2 account.

In the same way, taking a chance on communicating outside the platform also gives the same leverage for blackmail. It’s easy money for the blackmailer and for the blackmailee, it would be a very tough lesson to learn.

That is a good point indeed, but I think many of these people are not playing that long game. It’s a lot of trade between accounts (so if they tried to black mail each other it wouldn’t make sense), etc. But you’re right that is probably happening at some scale as well.

Anyone who needs to consider buying reviews is someone who misses the big picture. I really can’t see any good reasons to do it. But we will agree to disagree on that.

That is true. These people don’t see the big picture. But that’s not their plan. They can fail and come back, and come back, etc.

That is a good point indeed, but I think many of these people are not playing that long game. It’s a lot of trade between accounts (so if they tried to black mail each other it wouldn’t make sense), etc. But you’re right that is probably happening at some scale as well.

I wonder if these are some of the “brothers”, “friends” etc that we hear about from some sellers.

Imagine getting a message from that person after a year and them saying they want $100/month or they will report your level 2 account.

I don’t think fiverr cares all that much about this subject. I think they get reports like that constantly.

It’s a lot of trade between accounts (so if they tried to black mail each other it wouldn’t make sense), etc

If it’s a lot of trade between Fiverr accounts, and reviews given, that would be easy for Fiverr to detect, since it’s all on their system (the buying & review bit that was done on Fiverr at least, which is easily detected if they think manipulation is being done).

Imagine getting a message from that person after a year and them saying they want $100/month or they will report your level 2 account.

I don’t think fiverr cares all that much about this subject. I think they get reports like that constantly.

Yep, they don’t care. That’s what I’m getting at, they should care, at least a bit. I understand if you think they’re right in not caring because those sellers will fail anyway. Different perspectives, that’s all.

I’m pretty sure they don’t actively police these things but if someone reports someone with clear evidence then I am sure Fiverr would take it seriously

It’s not just the hopeless newbies doing it, either. Even established sellers sometimes do it.

On online business forums, I’ve seen Fiverr sellers request fake reviews for a number of reasons, including to bury a bad review, make an old account look alive again, and bump up performance stats in order to avoid a demotion.

Some of these guys have pretty solid-looking accounts, so you wouldn’t necessarily guess what’s going on behind the scenes.

It’s not just the hopeless newbies doing it, either. Even established sellers sometimes do it.

On online business forums, I’ve seen Fiverr sellers request fake reviews for a number of reasons, including to bury a bad review, make an old account look alive again, and bump up performance stats in order to avoid a demotion.

Some of these guys have pretty solid-looking accounts, so you wouldn’t necessarily guess what’s going on behind the scenes.

And obviously this works much better for large volume accounts. If you sell 2-3 orders per month at a high lervel, no way you can get away with it. But buried in thousands…

I’m pretty sure they don’t actively police these things but if someone reports someone with clear evidence then I am sure Fiverr would take it seriously

When I was new I saw someone who had literally hundreds of reviews from the same person in the same short time span and that person had only been on fiverr a month, both the seller and the reviews. Each day about 50 reviews had been left for the same seller from the same buyer. Nothing was done about it.

When I was new I saw someone who had literally hundreds of reviews from the same person in the same short time span and that person had only been on fiverr a month, both the seller and the reviews. Each day about 50 reviews had been left for the same seller from the same buyer. Nothing was done about it.

Jesus, that’s brazen. Then again, there’s a slight chance it was legitimate (he brought someone with a lot of regular work from outside the platform, for example). What was the gig? And by the way, your opinion - is it review manipulation to break one order in smaller orders? How to define that?

After several months it slowed down some, the number of reviews being left each day, but when I checked back months later, that gig had about three apparently legitimate reviews and about 500 from that one buyer.

Later that one buyer actually purchased one of MY gigs. Just once though.

And? You got to talk to him! Did he say anything interesting? Obvious red flags?

Archived