Anyone have tips to come across nicer over messaging?

graphtersawyer

I’m really trying to work on my demeanor with buyers and sellers over messaging for Fiverr. I don’t want to use emojis, but I feel as if I might not sound as kind or friendly as I could when messaging people. Is there anything you guys do to try to make your communication approachable/friendly?

That’s tricky! That’s why I always tend to use emojis if what I’m writing sounds a bit harsh, but even emojis can be interpreted in different ways - especially in the freelance world, where one little word can give buyers a horrible first impression of you. So, yeah, I guess I don’t have an answer to that. I’m interested to see if others have better suggestions.

I don’t really do much consciously, but thinking about it, I’d say people typically will see something as nice/approachable/friendly if it kind of “mirrors” their own ways, like, if a buyer uses emoji, I don’t see much reason to not use them as well, if a buyer seems to always be “in a hurry”, they probably appreciate crisp to-the-point communication, if a buyer always asks how you are, or how the weather is over at your place, no harm in asking them back, if they mention some personal detail, like which city they are from, and you’ve been there, you could mention that together with some detail that you liked about it, etc.

All that without twisting yourself into a pretzel ! though - if a buyer uses emoji but you just feel uncomfortable with it, don’t, if a buyer never uses emoji but it’s totally your thing, do use them, but sparingly to not overwhelm them with it, etc.

Showing interest in what they are doing, or complimenting their whatever they do that you’re working on for them, most probably comes across as nice, too, but, again, only ask if you’re really interested, compliment it if you really like it, if it comes naturally to you, if it’s genuine interest, else, I think it will come across as awkward.

There are sellers who think and say you should absolutely under no circumstances should use emoji because it’s unprofessional and there may be buyers who think the same. Perhaps you’ll even lose one buyer every ten years because you used an emoji? Who knows … on the other hand, if many buyers over those ten years stayed your clients because you seem approachable to them and show some personality traits because you 😉 , that loss is bearable.

I guess … don’t overthink it, do what you feel is right. If you don’t want to use emoji, then don’t. I wouldn’t see a seller as unfriendly just because they don’t use emoji, even if I’m using them myself.

That’s tricky! That’s why I always tend to use emojis if what I’m writing sounds a bit harsh, but even emojis can be interpreted in different ways - especially in the freelance world, where one little word can give buyers a horrible first impression of you. So, yeah, I guess I don’t have an answer to that. I’m interested to see if others have better suggestions.

Yeah it’s tricky isn’t it? Some people can interpret emoji use as sarcasm in that context. Exclamation points can also be misinterpreted.

My personal policy is to only use emojis if I have an established relationship with someone and I know they like it.

I find if I say empathetic things to the prospect/buyer, it’s clear that I’m warm and friendly. But yeah, it’s tough when you don’t have the inflection of voice or body language to convey things.

Yeah it’s tricky isn’t it? Some people can interpret emoji use as sarcasm in that context. Exclamation points can also be misinterpreted.

My personal policy is to only use emojis if I have an established relationship with someone and I know they like it.

I find if I say empathetic things to the prospect/buyer, it’s clear that I’m warm and friendly. But yeah, it’s tough when you don’t have the inflection of voice or body language to convey things.

Some people can interpret emoji use as sarcasm in that context.

But yeah, it’s tough when you don’t have the inflection of voice or body language to convey things.

Exactly! I couldn’t agree more.

I’d say people typically will see something as nice/approachable/friendly if it kind of “mirrors” their own ways

Miiila is right. Acting accordingly to the signs buyers give you when writing is probably the way to go - and the safer one too.

Some people can interpret emoji use as sarcasm in that context.

But yeah, it’s tough when you don’t have the inflection of voice or body language to convey things.

Exactly! I couldn’t agree more.

I’d say people typically will see something as nice/approachable/friendly if it kind of “mirrors” their own ways

Miiila is right. Acting accordingly to the signs buyers give you when writing is probably the way to go - and the safer one too.

Yeah! I let the buyer set the tone. I’m happy when they make a joke. Haha

Archived