Watering hole for scammers

donaldfaulknor

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve been on Fiverr since January, 2013 (7 years!), I don’t get 4 messages a day from scammers, maybe one message a week if any, and I always recognize them or Fiverr bans them before I do.

No one has stolen anything and gained access to anything. Fiverr itself is a secure website that uses lots of security features.

I wish people would give Fiverr a chance before complaining about it.

I’ve been on Fiverr since January, 2013 (7 years!), I don’t get 4 messages a day from scammers, maybe one message a week if any, and I always recognize them or Fiverr bans them before I do.

No one has stolen anything and gained access to anything. Fiverr itself is a secure website that uses lots of security features.

I’ve been here seven years too and I’ve only had one day where I got two in a row and that’s all. In time the scammer moves on to new sellers and you drop off his radar.

I’ve been here seven years too and I’ve only had one day where I got two in a row and that’s all. In time the scammer moves on to new sellers and you drop off his radar.

The security features are very powerful. Sometimes Fiverr stops a legitimate buyer from talking to you, and you have to unban them.

Besides, bad things can happen anywhere. There are scammers who attack Uber drivers, but so far I haven’t been victimized by them. I also get weird e-mails, about problems with my account, I tend to ignore them.

The security features are very powerful. Sometimes Fiverr stops a legitimate buyer from talking to you, and you have to unban them.

Besides, bad things can happen anywhere. There are scammers who attack Uber drivers, but so far I haven’t been victimized by them. I also get weird e-mails, about problems with my account, I tend to ignore them.

bad things can happen anywhere.

True. I had a cab driver use my credit card number to have his friend run up $1600 in fake charges on my card. This scammer is nothing. And if people know the rules they aren’t even going to contact him.

bad things can happen anywhere.

True. I had a cab driver use my credit card number to have his friend run up $1600 in fake charges on my card. This scammer is nothing. And if people know the rules they aren’t even going to contact him.

had a cab driver use my credit card number to have his friend run up $1600 in fake charges on my card

That’s horrible. I had a similar experiences, someone stole my tax ID and got my tax refund years ago. I’ve also been charged for Lyft rides in Arizona even though I’ve never been there (I was able to reverse the charges).

Years ago, I used to complain about people messaging me, I was a high volume seller and didn’t want to waste my time. Now I’ve learned to accept it, legitimate buyers and scammers alike.

Fiverr has improved a lot. It used to be that if a buyer messaged you five times, you got five e-mails. Now you might get one e-mail with the five messages. Now you can also block and/or report buyers without filling up a ton of information in the CS page.

I also got this e-mail form Fiverr today:

Hi fastcopywriter,

Great news! We’re expanding the services we offer and are excited to share this news with you. To help you gain greater exposure, we moved your Gig, “gig title deleted to avoid self-promotion , from Digital Marketing/ Influencer Marketing/ Shoutouts & Promotion to Digital Marketing/ Content Marketing/ Guest Posting to ensure all the relevant customers are viewing your services.

All you have to do is review your Gig’s details and adjust them according to its new category.

Got any questions? We’re always here to help.

I like that. It shows Fiverr cares about my bottom line.

• 5 weeks later...

If you stay on Fiverr, of course they won’t steal anything from you. And personally, I know better than to do what they ask. However, if someone falls victim to them, that victim will be giving them complete access to their computer and network. BTW, in the 4 weeks I have been on Fiverr, I received 75 (SEVENTY-FIVE) scammer messages. This is FAR too many. And only one legit message (which FINALLY turned into a sale).

If you stay on Fiverr, of course they won’t steal anything from you. And personally, I know better than to do what they ask. However, if someone falls victim to them, that victim will be giving them complete access to their computer and network. BTW, in the 4 weeks I have been on Fiverr, I received 75 (SEVENTY-FIVE) scammer messages. This is FAR too many. And only one legit message (which FINALLY turned into a sale).

Your situation is different than mine, because you have lots of SEO-related gigs, which attract scammers.

My gigs are less technical, so the scammers are less interested. They always ask me to open files, or send me weird links, so if Fiverr doesn’t catch them (a lot of times they do), I simply report them as scam and move on.

However, everyone deals with spam, some companies won’t even let you contact them unless you click here or select the lamplights in the picture or answer 2 + 2 =. This stops automatic spammers, but it’s no good with human spammers.

Your situation is different than mine, because you have lots of SEO-related gigs, which attract scammers.

My gigs are less technical, so the scammers are less interested. They always ask me to open files, or send me weird links, so if Fiverr doesn’t catch them (a lot of times they do), I simply report them as scam and move on.

However, everyone deals with spam, some companies won’t even let you contact them unless you click here or select the lamplights in the picture or answer 2 + 2 =. This stops automatic spammers, but it’s no good with human spammers.

or answer 2 + 2 =. This stops automatic spammers, but it’s no good with human spammers.

Although, seeing some of the spam I get, something like (2+2)×4:2 (or even 2+2 😉 ) might already help …

or, even better, “are you a seller or buyer?” (Seller option would take them to the ToS bit about not spamming. Buyer option would let scammers who pretend to be buyers through, unfortunately, but we might get less spam from sellers then - only less, because I get seller spam where they reply even to very direct questions like “did you want to buy my gig” with “yes”, so I suppose some sellers would click “buyer” anyway…)

And congrats on your first order, @donaldfaulknor . Hope that will have a positive effect on your spam:requests ratio.

Archived